• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2014/15 |OT1| Wes to make an awesome 2014-2015 OT1

Status
Not open for further replies.

inky

Zaragoza was even worse than Espanyol, everything Agapaito Iglesias touches turns to shit, some of those deals Iglesias made as the pres at Zaragoza are shady as shit. Atletico never had a chance with Aguirre, during those years the club was in a deeper financial hole, the lineup was pretty bad except with Forlan and Kun upfront, both had great seasons despite the middle and back line. Those were the days were the trio Simao - Costinha - Maniche arrived at discounted prices, all FLOPS.

Cant forget about the CBs, Ze Castro and Eller lol

Well, I will concede to your internal dealings knowledge in Zaragoza's case, I really don't know anything about the club other than he put them at the bottom of the table and was promptly sacked. I think he should stop going to clubs with such financial crisis then :p

Oh right, Eller was such crap, lol.

LOL. Hehe, I'm surprised someone even remembers that.

Liverpool have made a £42.5m bid for Juventus star Arturo Vidal, according to reports in Chile.

Newspaper El Mercurio claim the Kop are in the race to sign Vidal and have put a firm bid on the table.

However, Starsport understands - contrary to El Mercurio's reports - that the Reds DON'T want Vidal at Anfield.

Brilliant.

Barzul

BtURjvaCEAEpveg.png

He looks happy

Walshy

Emre Can and Coutinho looked really good yesterday.

I was quite impressed with Kelly as well, but with the arrival of Manquillo I can see him being sold. I remember reading in the Times that Sunderland and Crystal Palace are interested.

He's shit, no thx.

To be fair, if we are going to spend £40m+ on one player, it really shouldn't be in central midfield.

Disagree.

All this worrying about what we'll do when Gerrard is phased out of the team, imagine if we just replaced him with Vidal. He'd have to curb a huge part of his game and stay back more than he does normally, but it'd be fantastic.

Not happening though

Barzul

Disagree.

All this worrying about what we'll do when Gerrard is phased out of the team, imagine if we just replaced him with Vidal. He'd have to curb a huge part of his game and stay back more than he does normally, but it'd be fantastic.

Not happening though

Why would he have to stay back and not Henderson. Surely Vidal is the much greater goal threat.

ATF487

Emre Can and Coutinho looked really good yesterday.

I was quite impressed with Kelly as well, but with the arrival of Manquillo I can see him being sold. I remember reading in the Times that Sunderland and Crystal Palace are interested.

Rodgers doesn't seem to like Kelly, but whenever I watch him I think he does alright. He's not much of an attacking threat but he's defensively sound.

Being linked again with Bertrand is worrying.

Why would he have to stay back and not Henderson. Surely Vidal is the much greater goal threat.

Because Henderson doesn;t have the defensive positioning to protect the back 3 (when we're attacking) on his own. He's fantastic in terms of pressing and closing angles, but he's never been trusted to be anything approaching a DM for us. Maybe he can do it, but I can't recall us even trying it

It'd be a bit pointless having Henderson in front of Vidal, and asking him to forego the chance to use that position to build attacks, and instead slot into Vidal's position when he goes forward.

Gerrard's new-found positional discipline bought about by his lack of energy gives Henderson the freedom to play to the best of his ability

The DM has to stay back in our version of the staggered centre midfield

-------DM------
---CM----------
--------AM-----

Salvadora

What is this about Flamini, Szczesny and Gibbs switching Wenger's coffee for gravy and nearly being sent home?

Going about on twitter.

sohois

Because Henderson doesn;t have the defensive positioning to protect the back 3 (when we're attacking) on his own. He's fantastic in terms of pressing and closing angles, but he's never been trusted to be anything approaching a DM for us. Maybe he can do it, but I can't recall us even trying it

It'd be a bit pointless having Henderson in front of Vidal, and asking him to forego the chance to use that position to build attacks, and instead slot into Vidal's position when he goes forward.

Gerrard's new-found positional discipline bought about by his lack of energy gives Henderson the freedom to play to the best of his ability

The DM has to stay back in our version of the staggered centre midfield

-------DM------
---CM----------
--------AM-----

last season we played 2 midfielders with Gerrard doing his worst impression of a decent DM and won 11 on the trot. Somehow I think Vidal would slot into his spot with ease and not have to curtail his attacking at all.

He already has to cover for Pirlo in the Juve midfield yet has no problems. Why would it be different for Liverpool? Particularly since his arrival would certainly indicate a switch to 3 in midfield.

TeddyBoy

Rodgers doesn't seem to like Kelly, but whenever I watch him I think he does alright. He's not much of an attacking threat but he's defensively sound.

Being linked again with Bertrand is worrying.

Feorax said a while back that Kelly might have an injury to his leg which seemed to flair up whenever he plays and the Liverpool medical team didn't know what caused it. If that's true it wouldn't be hard to see why he's not getting much game time.

What is this about Flamini, Szczesny and Gibbs switching Wenger's coffee for gravy and nearly being sent home?

Going about on twitter.

This is one of those things that's so random it has to be true.

last season we played 2 midfielders with Gerrard doing his worst impression of a decent DM and won 11 on the trot. Somehow I think Vidal would slot into his spot with ease and not have to curtail his attacking at all.

He already has to cover for Pirlo in the Juve midfield yet has no problems. Why would it be different for Liverpool? Particularly since his arrival would certainly indicate a switch to 3 in midfield.

JuveGAF can correct me if I'm wrong, but when Vidal goes past Pirlo more often than not when he attacks. They don't all 3 break to the edge of the box at once, and Pirlo lingers behind, not covering with tackles and sprints, but being an extra man in midfield to stop the other team counterattacking at will

Henderson could probably play that role, but I think we'd have to curtail Henderson's instinct to get to the edge of the box if that was the case

One of the midfielder's desire to get into the box would have to be curtailed on a situational basis imo, especially against top-half teams.

Since there's about as much chance of Vidal moving to us as there is of England winning the World Cup in Russia, this is one of those pointless debates everyone enjoys :p

As mediocre as the defensive side of Gerrard's DM game was last year, just having him there prevented us from being countered a hundred times a game

Barzul

O baby. I wonder if he considers Schneiderlin a BIG signing.

I'll take DM and CB as our only remaining signings. With Snachez, Giroud, Poldi, Walcott, I'm not really worried about goals. It's understated how much we missed Walcott's goals last season.

Salvadora

a big signing can mean in the financial sense or the name.

Or even, I suppose, fixing a long-standing problem in the squad.

Nastasic would definitely fit.

Salvadora

Shz is about to lose his spot in the starting 11 and he is going to go a fuck with Wenger?

Doubt it.
It's just a bit of #banter for a laugh with the #lads.

The only way he would lose his starting position is if he started to fuck up on the pitch again. Or, alternatively, if Ospina came in and out performed him. Which he very well might.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom