• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2014/15 |OT1| Wes to make an awesome 2014-2015 OT1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fintan

It would make sense to try for Cech early in the window considering the keeper situation at Chelsea and how he might feel about that.

However, Mourinho would never sell to us even if he did want to offload him.

Just the way it is.
We wouldn't give you Ba, so yeah, definitely would sell Cech to ye.

Lightning

Banned
He is 34 and obviously in decline. Would you pay him 100k when he most likely won't be a starter beyond maybe a season or two?

Much rather have Ospina.

Shzh biggest problem is decision making when coming off his line. Did you see Casillas against Netherlands?
Szczesny is not a better keeper than Casillas at the moment. I can give you plenty of Szczesny errors. Wenger had to drop his ass for bloody Flappy not long ago.

jtb

Banned
Cech is 32. Keepers have long careers.

There's a difference between being in decline and being in poor form. Casillas is definitely in poor form, but he hasn't been given much opportunity to get out from under that. plenty of top keepers have had long, bad spells and returned strongly from them. that's just part of the job.

do I think Casillas could go to Monaco and be a very good keeper for them? sure. and he could go and be an absolutely terrible keeper for them too. but we need another season of evidence to say either way. is it a gamble? obviously. and obviously one I think worth taking.

Salvadora

Words can't describe how I felt when Fabianski came running out in the dying minutes of the cup final.

jtb, if Casillas went to Monaco and became good again, I genuinely think there would be a significant chance that we never hear about it until an international competition.

Possible CL kit leak:

tAxQAF4.jpg

Could use some black details but

YES PUMA

Shows how shit Puma really is when you're happy about a plain yellow shirt :lol

Yes he is.

Definitely not.

An experienced keeper is way better in this case. You might have a prodigy monster like Courtois, but you have world class players like Buffon, who is 36 years old and still top of their game.

Casillas is still great. He was there when they won their CL last year.

Tubie

When did opinion on Casillas turn? When Mou dropped him?

2012-2013: Mou was never a fan of him but had no excuse to replace him without the media/fans causing a shitstorms. Then Casillas started leaking shit to his reporter girlfriend and that put him at odds with Florentino. Finally Mou had a free pass to sit him. Then by some incredible luck for Mou Casillas really did get injured and had to sit for half a season, that's when Madrid signed Lopez.

2013-2014: Ancelotti likes Lopez more, but in order to keep peace with the fans and media he did the whole Lopez for league games and Casillas for Cup and CL. This was a horrible idea and almost cost us the CL. I've watched the final like 3 times and Casillas was horrible all game long. Even after Ramos tied the game Casillas almost ruined it again like 2 more times.

Casillas was only ever good at saving shots, and he had amazing luck, everything else he's been average at. Right now, I don't know if it's lack of game time or if he really has declined massively in the past two years, but I'm not willing to take the risk and make him our main GK again. If we go with Lopez or Navas I just hope we stick to one GK for all competitions.

jtb

Banned
Words can't describe how I felt when Fabianski came running out in the dying minutes of the cup final.

jtb, if Casillas went to Monaco and became good again, I genuinely think there would be a significant chance that we never hear about it until an international competition.

yeah, probably. I wouldn't be surprised if his Spain career is over anyways. they've got plenty of quality keepers, maybe it's time to give De Gea a shot.

wedward

Welcome Ospina we can agree on as everything points to that deal being done.

I think it is the best choice as well. Provides long term competition for Shz. Young and low wages.

If he does take the starting role from Shz we could potentially have a keeper for the next 10 years.

Lightning

Banned
I think it is the best choice as well. Provides long term competition for Shz. Young and low wages.

If he does take the starting role from Shz we could potentially have a keeper for the next 10 years.
The only issue is neither will tolerate bench for long. One will leave, we'll keep the better one whoever wins out.

wedward

I strongly believe we'll do one more signing after Kevler Navas. Be it Pogba or not.

lol. You just signed Kroos and Modric is finally playing well. You paid 80 mil for Illramendi. Alonso is still there and you have yet to move Khedira. Where exactly does Pogba go?

If Cech were to leave us, I think he would be in a similar boat to Drogba, Lampard and Cole: He won it all in England, so he would go elsewhere to try a new challenge no matter what offers came in for him.

I don't think with his head injury (or his previous head injury anyway) he will play as long as other goalkeepers, as good as he is.

darknil

I just remembered how I ask you why Ospina was not in a decent club already and you guys just told me he was inconsistent, glad to see good expectations on him.

K1LLER7

If Cech were to leave us, I think he would be in a similar boat to Drogba, Lampard and Cole: He won it all in England, so he would go elsewhere to try a new challenge no matter what offers came in for him.

I don't think with his head injury (or his previous head injury anyway) he will play as long as other goalkeepers, as good as he is.
Was brilliant before the head injury. He definitely lost some confidence and hasn't been the same since the incident imo. Still a very good keeper though.

jtb

Banned
Khedira is shit. I'd almost prefer to just see Wilshere play 50 games as a holding midfielder if Wenger's idea of an upgrade is Khedira.

almost.

The game is a little obtuse but it is relatively simple to understand. Just be warned, it is not a game like FIFA tho, it is a manager sim through and through so the gameplay is going through excel spreadsheets almost exclusively. If you are into that, the game is the closest thing there is to virtual crack for a football aficionado

I looked over some of the screenshots and it looks to intense/involved for me. I want to actually play games, as well. The one FIFA mode that was like crack to me was the create a player option where I played in an online league as a goalie. Sounds dumb on paper, but I loved it.

PES I stopped following years ago. Seemed like FIFA surpassed it, but I could be wrong.

They really are a bunch of utter cheapskates. They haven't got anybody they can trick PSG into buying for £60m anymore and it shows, they've gone round the whole of Europe lowballing other clubs.
What is this premface bullshit? You clearly don't know anything about the financial history and current standing of this club.

Not only, as bobito states, do we have revenue roughly equivalent to Newcastle, but also we're fifth in Serie A for revenue (behind Milan, Juve, Inter, and Roma), while turning a profit when practically all our competitors in the league are incurring losses year after year (including all four of the aforementioned clubs).

Our owner isn't the sort of fool who simply splashes cash for whatever new names he can get down on a contract. We've done that before, and it ran us into bankruptcy a decade ago. Now we sell high and buy low when we can - which sometimes might have us groveling for loans when we're not selling anyone (we've tried to sell/trade both Behrami and Dzemaili this summer to finance some new midfielders, but we haven't had any takers yet).

But despite what might seem like a sorry state based on our mercato this summer, we'll still out-compete teams with far more money (like Tottenham) this season.

I looked over some of the screenshots and it looks to intense/involved for me. I want to actually play games, as well. The one FIFA mode that was like crack to me was the create a player option where I played in an online league as a goalie. Sounds dumb on paper, but I loved it.

PES I stopped following years ago. Seemed like FIFA surpassed it, but I could be wrong.

Football Manager is a bit overwhelming at first, but there's a classic mode which makes it all much easier and quicker. However it's well worth it in the end, going with the normal mode, it's easily the best football game out there.

and no, PES is still shit. Although a lot less shit than PES08, which was just the worst.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom