• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2014/15 |OT1| Wes to make an awesome 2014-2015 OT1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hixx

Wait so Lallana, with his fucked knee, is staying in America but Borini is being sent home?

diplo-o.gif

Wish this shit would hurry up it's doing my head in.

Salvadora

I'm not talking about being bigger or smaller club. Or having more history or whatnot. I'm talking about what their immediate future looks like.

Wolfsburg are basically building to be a permanent CL-spot contender. They are signing a lot of talented top class players and will continue to do so, play good football and their coach is good (not great). Future looks bright for them.

who cares?
what

I'm not talking about being bigger or smaller club. Or having more history or whatnot. I'm talking about what their immediate future looks like.

Wolfsburg are basically building to be a permanent CL-spot contender. They are signing a lot of talented top class players and will continue to do so, play good football and their coach is good (not great). Future looks bright for them.

who cares?

Are they better though?

Not sure what players they've bought this summer, but both finished 5th ;ast year, Everton in a much more competitive league

Martinez is no mug, either

El Topo

They're also backed by the biggest car company in the world and seem interested (at least midterm) to compete. No one is saying Everton doesn't have a history that is more grand, Wolfsburg is pretty bland if I may say so, but right now they seem in a more interesting position, provided Volkswagen keeps the project going.

Elchele

Are they better though?

Not sure what players they've bought this summer, but both finished 5th ;ast year, Everton in a much more competitive league

Martinez is no mug, either

Would be hard to say what team is actually better, but Wolfsburg are more likely to keep qualifying to european competition than Everton. And they are more likely to keep investing in great players, not to mention the amount of talent their youth setup is producing.

With Manchester United coming back this season with LvG, do they even stand a chance to get a EL spot again? Even Tottenham should end up higher than them this season.

Salvadora

Would be hard to say what team is actually better, but Wolfsburg are more likely to keep qualifying to european competition than Everton. And they are more likely to keep investing in great players, not to mention the amount of talent their youth setup is producing.
They are playing in the Bundesliga.

Of fucking course they are more likely to qualify for European competitions.

Peco

So the possible new head of the italian FA is an old racist.....fantastic......

http://www.football-italia.net/52620/figc-candidate-tavecchios-racist-gaffe

That's what he said:

Carlo Tavecchio, set to become the new Federation President, was caught making an embarrassing racist gaffe.

The current President of the LND (amateur League) is the hot favourite to beat Demetrio Albertini in a vote for new President of the FIGC.

He put forward his proposals in a long and rambling speech today, but media have now picked up on an unfortunate turn of phrase.

Tavecchio was trying to suggest Italy adopt England’s system of players getting a work permit before they are allowed into the country’s teams.

“Welcoming is one thing, but playing football is another,” said the 71-year-old.

“In England they identify the players coming in and, if they are professional, they are allowed to play.

“Instead, here we say that any old Opti Pobà can come here, before he was eating bananas, now he’s playing in the Lazio first XI.

“In England the players have to prove their curriculum and pedigree first.”

Naturally, references to eating bananas and the invention of a fake African-sounding name caused consternation.

daniel-bryan-shaking-tnowb.gif

This is fucked up.

Elchele

They are playing in the Bundesliga.

Of fucking course they are more likely to qualify for European competitions.

well, that's a huge plus for a player. Not having the league bloated by oil clubs means you have a better shot in getting into Europe. They will have to out-play Leverkusen or Schalke to get into CL tho

Salvadora

well, that's a huge plus for a player. Not having the league bloated by oil clubs means you have a better shot in getting into Europe. They will have to out-play Leverkusen or Schalke to get into CL tho
And Everton would have to outplay Arsenal or Liverpool.

That's the difference.

Elchele

And Everton would have to outplay Arsenal or Liverpool.

That's the difference.

don't know why you have to turn everything into EPL vs Bundesliga.

I just made a point of Wolfsburg being a better prospect for a player like Lukaku than Everton. They have money, a great project going on, great players, good coach, great infrastructure and will continue to play in Europe (EL minimum) for the upcoming seasons.

Everton is just Everton. They can't realistically compete in the EPL anymore, finishing in 5 place could end up being their highlight of the decade.

Salvadora

don't know why you have to turn everything into EPL vs Bundesliga.

I just made a point of Wolfsburg being a better prospect for a player like Lukaku than Everton. They have money, a great project going on, great players, good coach, great infrastructure and will continue to play in Europe (EL minimum) for the upcoming seasons.

Everton is just Everton. They can't realistically compete in the EPL anymore, finishing in 5 place could end up being their highlight of the decade.
Because it's very relevant to the discussion.

You can't compare these clubs without factoring in the league they play in. And, if you listen to the players, it's a major factor in deciding where they play.

"Everton is just Everton" is completely ignoring the fantastic season they have just had under a new manager in which they achieved a record points total. They have everything Wolfsburg have and more at the moment.

Arnie

Wait so Lallana, with his fucked knee, is staying in America but Borini is being sent home?

diplo-o.gif

Wish this shit would hurry up it's doing my head in.
Is Lallana actually staying in the US, though?

Doubt he is.

And whilst Everton is a bigger club it seems Lukaku is desperate for guaranteed Champions League football. That's never happening in England because Chelsea would never sell him to a big club here, and you have to say the Bundesliga is probably the most attractive second choice.

At Wolfsburg he'll play in the Champions League and experience a pretty exciting environment for football.

Think it's a decent move. Just seems inspectacular because everyone thought Lukaku would play for a top club.

Origi has killed him.

Must be gutting for Lukaku moving to his dream club and never getting a chance there.

He had his chance last season, he decided to hand a transfer request in after the fudged up against Bayern in the Super Cup and then proceeded to be an idiot and piss off the manager - a world class manager and a legend at the club who was incredibly successful before, who do you back in that instance, manager or player?

I'd rather it didn't end like this but the signs were there, it was always about he acted and down to him.

Wilbur

Banned
:lol

Fucking idiot moving there in the first place. He's lucky he's been allowed out on loan so it hasn't done too much damage to his growth

I don't think he's an idiot for moving there; he's done all he can to prove he's worthy of a chance in the Premier League. 30 goals or so in two seasons isn't it? Obviously I don't know what his attitude is like or anything, but he can't be a worse back up than Torres, and would probably accept being one of two main strikers with Costa.

Edit: Steve above clarifies a few things, cheers

Goddamn it, guys. Elsk might not be arguing at his best but it's obvious what he means.

Wolfsburg = EL this season + good chance to play CL next season + huge wages
Everton = EL this season + no chance to play CL next season + not so huge wages

Sure, PL might be more competitive but it really doesn't matter shit in terms of Lukaku making the next step, which he really NEEDS to do soon. There's no pressure in Wolfsburg, he can do well there and move on in a few years.

I don't think he's an idiot for moving there; he's done all he can to prove he's worthy of a chance in the Premier League. 30 goals or so in two seasons isn't it? Obviously I don't know what his attitude is like or anything, but he can't be a worse back up than Torres, and would probably accept being one of two main strikers with Costa.

I'd say it's absolutely no coincidence that Chelsea's record with with under-21s is so poor since what, 2004? Who's the last player to join them at 21 or under and succeed, or come through the youth system to become a mainstay in the squad, aside from Oscar?

Perhaps I'm forgetting some, but moving there as a young player is beyond confident, it's stupid imo

Arnie

I agree with the Bunfaces.

For Lukaku it's better to go to a team that can realistically fight for Champions League whilst paying handsomely in the process, than going to Everton.

Everton will never qualify for the Champions League. Our league is too strong. I don't doubt that Everton could give Wolfsburg a game, but that's besides the point.

Chelsea is Lukaku's dream club? Because of Drogba or something?

He has always been a Chelsea supporter and was photographed with Chelsea shirts several times, while he still played for Anderlect. Also yeah, Drogba was a huge part of that. Well he was digging his own grave last season and with his comments throughout the last years time, what a fool.

Wilbur

Banned
I'd say it's absolutely no coincidence that Chelsea's record with with under-21s is so poor since what, 2004? Who's the last player to join them at 21 or under and succeed, or come through the youth system to become a mainstay in the squad, aside from Oscar?

Perhaps I'm forgetting some, but moving there as a young player is beyond confident, it's stupid imo

Hazard's still only 23. Courtois is young. There's a difference between all young players - see many of those who have come and gone - and the likes of Lukaku, who is clearly a talent. If there is players good enough, Chelsea would play them.

I think it's ridiculous that they stockpile youngsters, but if one of them was a particularly good one - see Lukaku or Courtois - I think they'd use them.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Goddamn it, guys. Elsk might not be arguing at his best but it's obvious what he means.

Wolfsburg = EL this season + good chance to play CL next season + huge wages
Everton = EL this season + no chance to play CL next season + not so huge wages

Sure, PL might be more competitive but it really doesn't matter shit in terms of Lukaku making the next step, which he really NEEDS to do soon. There's no pressure in Wolfsburg, he can do well there and move on in a few years.
no no, money & europe is not important

barclays Premface league is the best in teh world

much competitive wow

Everton or Wolfsburg seem fairly even to how attractive they are for Lukaku tbh. Everton are probably cheap as fuck though with the transfer fee and Chelsea will rather sell abroad.

Wilbur

Banned
I agree with Bundes fans even if Elsk phrased his argument poorly ("you think Everton are better than Wolfsburg?")

No, as a football team they may well not be. But as a club, with money, Europe, and less competition, I can see it being a more attractive prospect.

Salvadora

I think it's ridiculous that they stockpile youngsters, but if one of them was a particularly good one - see Lukaku or Courtois - I think they'd use them.
Question is, do Chelsea youngsters get enough minutes to become "a particularly good one"?

Lukaku and Courtois are exceptions rather than the rule in my opinion.

At Lukaku's age, I think he should be looking for as much gametime as possible, so I'd perhaps rather play in 4 competitions with Everton than in 3 with Wolfsburg

L1NETT

Hazard's still only 23. Courtois is young. There's a difference between all young players - see many of those who have come and gone - and the likes of Lukaku, who is clearly a talent. If there is players good enough, Chelsea would play them.

I think the point is the next generation of players coming through, your Chalobah's, Bamford, Colkett, Loftus Cheek, Ake, Solanke, Baker have such a slim chance of making it at the club if in all their positions Chelsea can drop 30m and sign Cesc/Matic/whoever.

Better for them to go somewhere on a perm where they are gonna get minutes and stability.

Arnie

Whilst I don't doubt that Lukaku's probably made some illadvised comments about his situation the real moron in all this is Mourinho for loaning the lad considering the depth and quality of his strikeforce.

Don't really blame Lukaku for being miffed. The conditions couldn't have been better for Lukaku to step up last season, and had Mourinho had any balls they might've been in the title race for longer.

Wilbur

Banned
Question is, do Chelsea youngsters get enough minutes to become "a particularly good one"?

Lukaku and Courtois are exceptions rather than the rule in my opinion.

It's no coincidence that Lukaku and Courtois have gone on loan to Prem clubs and Atletico while others have gone to Vitesse and Championship clubs. Yes they are the exception. But, if Lucas Piazon was good enough - and I believe he did play regularly last year - I have no reason to believe Chelsea wouldn't keep him in the first team.

Danchi

no no, money & europe is not important

barclays Premface league is the best in teh world

much competitive wow

To be fair, money does tend to go in hand in hand with the Premiership.

Everton are an exception because they haven't sold out yet. QPR would probably match what he'd get at Wolfsburg...

Carbonox

Newcastle won the Football United trophy today.
Uus4Plt.png

West Ham won the "we got smoked like shrimps on a barby" trophy cos they got spanked by both Sydney and Wellington.

pls get relegated west ham

Whilst I don't doubt that Lukaku's probably made some illadvised comments about his situation the real moron in all this is Mourinho for loaning the lad considering the depth and quality of his strikeforce.

Don't really blame Lukaku for being miffed. The conditions couldn't have been better for Lukaku to step up last season, and had Mourinho had any balls they might've been in the title race for longer.

Slightly reminds me of Pogba being benched for Rafael and Park in midfield.

Likewise, being told Ba and Torres are ahead of you in the pecking order is frankly a fucking insult.

Edit: Oh and Eto'o

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom