• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2014/15 |OT1| Wes to make an awesome 2014-2015 OT1

Status
Not open for further replies.

omgkitty

SSN reporting Arsenal have accepted 3m from Hull for Jenkinson.

Cryinggifs_01_1.gif

Carbonox

Newcastle United have made approaches for Lyon attacking pair Alexandre Lacazette and Clement Grenier, according to reports in French newspaper L’Equipe.

pls dont lie

that's like 25m

did mike ashley get drugged

Poor Carl though haha

Being forced to live in Hull

I'd throw myself in the Humber estuary and hope I float back to London

:lol

To think I could have gone to Hull University as I was accepted there. Went Bradford instead. Sigh.

Salvadora

If you're going to pay that price then Liverpool would really need someone ready to be first team player from the off, Liverpool after all are offering a similar amount for Moreno. Manquillo suits Liverpool fine for another RB option.
Aye, I suppose.

Thought the club might have been interested as they are so flush with cash money.
Damn being on my phone. Need to get Chambers pick off Arsenal's main account so I can ssk someone to make my next avatar with it.
Why did this signing prompt you to change your avatar and not the others?

Who else were you talking about, Chambers?

In both his and Shaw's cases, it was an obvious step up with the minimum of fuss taken. Neither of them spoke out while the transfer was ongoing.

In Lambert's case, he's a fan of tr club and did the same.

In both Lovren and Lallana's cases, they just acted like pricks. It's like a bad break up innit; you might have had years of laughter and love and lubricated anal sex, but if it ends badly then those feels are what remains.

Fair enough. Can see why they'd remain bitter about Lovren til the end of days, but I kinda hope Lallana doesn't just become known to them as 'the guy who acted like a cunt when he left'

14 years, 8 in the first team must count for something

Salvadora

Fair enough. Can see why they'd remain bitter about Lovren til the end of days, but I kinda hope Lallana doesn't just become known to them as 'the guy who acted like a cunt when he left'

14 years, 8 in the first team must count for something
Look at Arsenal fans and RVP.

Never forgive. Never forget.

Lightning

Banned
Why did this signing prompt you to change your avatar and not the others?
Chambers is the player I wanted before the window even started. Everytime I spoke about it I got shut down. I got the 'wenger will never spend that much on a defender' and '19yr old not coming to Arsenal' like shit and now we've got him.

Chambers along with Sanchez are the real buys this summer so far. Chambers can solve our rb problems for the next 10+ years.

When Chambers moves to man City in a few years Arsenal can buy Jenks back
Don't be a pooper!

Salvadora

Bto5MMvCYAAu7mm.jpg:large

Look at this physical specimen.
Chambers is the player I wanted before the window even started. Everytime I spoke about it I got shut down. I got the 'wenger will never spend that much on a defender' and '19yr old not coming to Arsenal' like shit and now we've got him.

Chambers along with Sanchez are the real buys this summer so far. Chambers can solve our rb problems for the next 10+ years.
I'm surprised.

Usually people are enamoured with the star attacking talent.

L1NETT

I bet Jenkinson was right looking forward to playing with Sanchez and 3 World Cup winners

Gets to play with Jake Livermore now though

What a treat

Wilbur

Banned
Anyone who plays for City, Liverpool, Arsenal or Chelsea and moves to them should be strung up by the bollocks tbf

@Will,you gonna be on Dota tomorrow or Wednesday?

Would that not be the case in every single direction?

Gallas? Cole? Tevez? Silvestre? Mata? Sturridge? Kolo? Poor Suarez who wasn't allowed his dream move?

Walshy

Arsenal are having a good window so far.

Sanchez is obviously the biggest statement of that. Arsenal have needed a dynamic winger for a while and although Walcott provides that, he was injured for large parts over the last two seasons, which have also exposed Arsenal’s attack to be lethargic at times, especially at the back end of last season. Sanchez’s versatility of being able to play anywhere across the front three is a huge asset, with him being comfortable on either foot. Arsenal players being ambidextrous is such a forgotten staple of Arsenal’s attack last season.

Ospina was impressive during the World Cup, and will most likely provide better competition to Szczęsny than what Fabiański did.

Debuchy is a bit of a downgrade on Sagna, but Sagna has been very hit or miss for me last season. Debuchy was a consistent performer for Newcastle last season, and will bring that to Arsenal whilst Chambers is groomed into Arsenal’s first choice right-back. £16m is a gamble for a right-back with less than 30 first team appearances, but Wenger got it right with Walcott, and whilst I don’t think Oxlade-Chamberlain has performed as well as expected, with him being only 20 years old, there is still huge potential there. He could have a similar breakout season as Ramsey has next season.

Arsenal still need a quick forward though and a defensive midfielder. I will be surprised if they don’t go for one of Remy or Lacazette for the former problem, and it seems evident that Arsenal are going to move Schneiderlin before the end of the window too.

Very hard seeing them dropping out of the top four, to be fair.

Would that not be the case in every single direction?

Gallas? Cole? Tevez? Silvestre? Mata? Sturridge? Kolo? Poor Suarez who wasn't allowed his dream move?

Sometimes players do it cos it's the only decent option or the club wills it (Gallas), to save their career (Sturridge to us), they're kind of forced out (Mata) or they're shit anyway so nobody cares (Silvestre to Arsenal, Toure to us)

Plus, I doubt anyone really cared when anyone joined us between 2010 and 2013, since we were no threat whatsoever. With ones like Van Persie, Tevez and Suarez (if it had happened), there is understandably a lot of resentment.

Meier

Really excited to see how he does there. One of our biggest talents for the national team.
Just saw the goal he scored vs Milan. It was a beauty of a strike.

http://youtu.be/hAGUcdg7ido

Aww. Why not loan him somewhere where he'll consistently play first? There's no rush to sell for a few million.
The player has to be willing. It's in the best interest of his career at this point to ask for a transfer above a loan.

That Jenks photoshop is amazing.

Good interview with Schneiderlin here, translated from French into English: http://www.hat-trick.fr/morgan-schneiderlin-im-a-shadow-worker/

Also, Morgs (yes :lol)) said that Chambers is "very good and has the advantage of being a former midfielder. I remember it was 2 or 3 years, he always said "I feel like I will end up as central defender or a right back". When he plays RB, he has the advantage of knowing how to use the ball. He sees passes between the lines. Defensively, he has a crazy endurance and he's tough physically. This is a very, very good player."

YES MORGAN.

Now pls come and join him.

wedward

I feel so bad for Jenks. He's be the fucking ball boy if they asked him to.

Feel bad for the guy, but he got to play for his boyhood club for 3 years. Made 57 appearances. That is better than most. Who knows. Maybe he goes to Hull and becomes the best RB in the country and we buy him back for 5 times what we sold him for.

omgkitty

WTF IS THIS NONSENSE?

San ‏@Zizouology 14m

Shakhtar to sell Douglas Costa after Arsenal agreed to pay €25M, says reports from Ukraine. An agreement can be reached in the coming days.

Salvadora

Arsenal are having a good window so far.

Sanchez is obviously the biggest statement of that. Arsenal have needed a dynamic winger for a while and although Walcott provides that, he was injured for large parts over the last two seasons, which have also exposed Arsenal’s attack to be lethargic at times, especially at the back end of last season. Sanchez’s versatility of being able to play anywhere across the front three is a huge asset, with him being comfortable on either foot. Arsenal players being ambidextrous is such a forgotten staple of Arsenal’s attack last season.

Ospina was impressive during the World Cup, and will most likely provide better competition to Szczęsny than what Fabiański did.

Debuchy is a bit of a downgrade on Sagna, but Sagna has been very hit or miss for me last season. Debuchy was a consistent performer for Newcastle last season, and will bring that to Arsenal whilst Chambers is groomed into Arsenal’s first choice right-back. £16m is a gamble for a right-back with less than 30 first team appearances, but Wenger got it right with Walcott, and whilst I don’t think Oxlade-Chamberlain has performed as well as expected, with him being only 20 years old, there is still huge potential there. He could have a similar breakout season as Ramsey has next season.

Arsenal still need a quick forward though and a defensive midfielder. I will be surprised if they don’t go for one of Remy or Lacazette for the former problem, and it seems evident that Arsenal are going to move Schneiderlin before the end of the window too.

Very hard seeing them dropping out of the top four, to be fair.
Good post.

Think this will be the first season in a long time that the prediction isn't that we will fall out of the top four. The expectation is becoming higher with the more money spent. Still coming fourth and trophyless after all this... would be anticlimactic. Although the competition in England is incredibly strong. Both Chelsea and City have 'complete' squads.

Very excited about the upcoming season.

wedward

Good post.

Think this will be the first season in a long time that the prediction isn't that we will fall out of the top four. The expectation is becoming higher with the more money spent. Still coming fourth and trophyless after all this... would be anticlimactic. Although the competition in England is incredibly strong. Both Chelsea and City have 'complete' squads.

Very excited about the upcoming season.

3rd, Quarterfinals of CL and a good cup run should be the minimum expectation this season.

We won't compete for the PL or CL until we have a striker.

Wilbur

Banned
Sometimes players do it cos it's the only decent option or the club wills it (Gallas), to save their career (Sturridge to us), they're kind of forced out (Mata) or they're shit anyway so nobody cares (Silvestre to Arsenal, Toure to us)

Plus, I doubt anyone really cared when anyone joined us between 2010 and 2013, since we were no threat whatsoever. With ones like Van Persie, Tevez and Suarez (if it had happened), there is understandably a lot of resentment.

Not just saying this as a United fan, but I still don't really get the RVP hatred apart from "he's gone to United."

His statement might have been a tad too much, but it was basically a transfer request right? He was only saying what lots of fans were saying about the club, I don't really see what's wrong with that. The difference is that the fans don't leave the club, but he's a professional footballer. He didn't come out and say, like Suarez, "I want to leave for a direct top four rival, they're my dream club etcetera etcetera" while still under contract and a year before getting a move to his actual dream club.

He didn't mention United once until he moved there. And it's hard to say his decision wasn't justified; he won a league title in his first season. People will point to Moyes and last year, but he wasn't to know that.

Wilbur

Banned
I think the top 4 this season will be the same as last season with the possibility of United replacing Liverpool.

Yeah, that's the only change I can see. Arsenal third, Chelsea and City fighting for the title and us and Liverpool fighting for fourth. Spurs forever doomed to look in from the outside.

Danchi

The player has to be willing. It's in the best interest of his career at this point to ask for a transfer above a loan.

Yeah, I realise that. I said yesterday that I would have at least liked to have seen him become a utility player like Phil Neville or John O'Shea. I can understand him not wanting that, though. Having squad players who can come in, play multiple positions, and have a genuine affinity for the club is important.

I don't think loaning him to Hull, seeing how he does, and then discussing his future would alter the trajectory of his career too much. Debuchy might have a disappointing year and get an offer from Monaco, and then he only has to displace one guy. I realise it's all hypothetical, though.

WTF IS THIS NONSENSE?

San ‏@Zizouology 14m

Shakhtar to sell Douglas Costa after Arsenal agreed to pay €25M, says reports from Ukraine. An agreement can be reached in the coming days.

It was on Goal a couple of days back. Seems like his agent trying to manoeuvre something, to be honest.

wedward

You guys have never heard of Douglas Costa? Pls. He's supposed to be very good. I always thought he was a CAM but supposedly he's a RW. He's one of the players refusing to play for Shakhtar, so I guess Wenger sees a bargain here?

If we sign him Theo will be sold next summer.

Not just saying this as a United fan, but I still don't really get the RVP hatred apart from "he's gone to United."

His statement might have been a tad too much, but it was basically a transfer request right? He was only saying what lots of fans were saying about the club, I don't really see what's wrong with that. The difference is that the fans don't leave the club, but he's a professional footballer. He didn't come out and say, like Suarez, "I want to leave for a direct top four rival, they're my dream club etcetera etcetera" while still under contract and a year before getting a move to his actual dream club.

He didn't mention United once until he moved there. And it's hard to say his decision wasn't justified; he won a league title in his first season. People will point to Moyes and last year, but he wasn't to know that.

As a massive aside, do you think signing Zaha on a kind of pre-contract was a bit twattish by Ferguson, knowing that he'd be retiring at the end of the season? (If he did know at that point)

Obviously you could say 'he should want to play for the club, not the manager' but I doubt that's entirely how it works, in football and elsewhere

Salvadora

3rd, Quarterfinals of CL and a good cup run should be the minimum expectation this season.

We won't compete for the PL or CL until we have a striker.
In particular, I want to go further in the Champions League.

While we have been drawn against the best of the best in recent years, some of our own making, we really should be going further.

Can't bare another Bayern/Barcelona draw.

Wilbur

Banned
As a massive aside, do you think signing Zaha on a kind of pre-contract was a bit twattish by Ferguson, knowing that he'd be retiring at the end of the season? (If he did know at that point)

Obviously you could say 'he should want to play for the club, not the manager' but I doubt that's entirely how it works, in football and elsewhere

Oh absolutely, but it's a little different. If we signed RVP and he did that, it's obscene. As it is, it's a young England international moving from Palace to United; of course game time will matter, but the club is such a big draw in comparison to his previous one that I don't think the impact is the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom