• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2014/15 |OT1| Wes to make an awesome 2014-2015 OT1

Status
Not open for further replies.

wedward

Or Podolski and Cazorla

Then you have Ozil, Sanchez, Walcott, Ox, Costa and Gnabry for those three positions.

Podolski is definitely gone, but I think he will be replaced with someone who primarily plays on the left. Santi I think will stick around another couple seasons. Doubt he is a starter next year though.

In particular, I want to go further in the Champions League.

While we have been drawn against the best of the best in recent years, some of our own making, we really should be going further.

Can't bare another Bayern/Barcelona draw.

Really need to top our group.

Lightning

Banned
Chambers will wear 21 for Arsenal.

Athletico Bilbao are one of the possibilities.

Just so many fixtures in August for us.

Udinese were tough one year. Fenerbahce were a joke.
Bilbao will be a hard fixture but we still should have too much for them. We should beat them.

DBT85

As a massive aside, do you think signing Zaha on a kind of pre-contract was a bit twattish by Ferguson, knowing that he'd be retiring at the end of the season? (If he did know at that point)

Obviously you could say 'he should want to play for the club, not the manager' but I doubt that's entirely how it works, in football and elsewhere

From Ferguson's point of view, no. He was doing what he thought best for the club and he sure as hell wasn't going to tell some kid that he was retiring.

Had it been me that signed for him only to turn up and have Moyes greeting him, however, I'd have been pissed as I'm sure Zaha was. Players sign for managers as well as teams. He would have seen what Ferguson did for Ronaldo and Rooney and Giggs and the others and wanted a taste of it. Instead he got Moyes.

It's readily apparent that bigger players will want to play under Ra's than under Moyes, regardless of the club.

It'll be interesting to see what Ra's does with him.

Costa turns out either really good or really shit on football manager.

Don't see Whinger buying him anyway, Arsenal have enough players in the wide area

Athletico Bilbao are one of the possibilities.

Just so many fixtures in August for us.

Udinese were tough one year. Fenerbahce were a joke.

Turkish teams strike me as being a bit weird. Like, before every match you hear about the fantastic intimidating atmosphere making them play like Brazil 70, there's an upset on the cards, but sometimes it seems like they just don't turn up. Then they go away from home and they seem to put some right shite performances in.

Bilbao would be a worry though. The way they play, can't ever take a result against them for granted. Go into the match unprepared and unfocussed, and the pressing kills you. (Assuming they still play like that, don't think I saw them play last season, maybe once)

Walshy

Good post.

Think this will be the first season in a long time that the prediction isn't that we will fall out of the top four. The expectation is becoming higher with the more money spent. Still coming fourth and trophyless after all this... would be anticlimactic. Although the competition in England is incredibly strong. Both Chelsea and City have 'complete' squads.

Very excited about the upcoming season.
I think what most Arsenal fans want to see in progress. They've been in 3rd/4th place limbo for over a decade now. The FA Cup win last year was a good step in the right direction, Arsenal fans are no different to any football supporter, they crave success. For the majority of fans, that success in silverware, not qualification to the Champions League

Arsenal's objective for next season should be to getting further in the Champions League or winning the Europa League if it goes to hell in the group stages/qualifying. Wenger really needs to improve his European record. A title challenge without collapsing in February would be a huge step in the right direction too, if I was an Arsenal fan, I would be hoping any mentality issues would have been squashed with the FA Cup win.

Scum

Yeah, that's the only change I can see. Arsenal third, Chelsea and City fighting for the title and us and Liverpool fighting for fourth. Spurs forever doomed to look in from the outside.

As long as we turn up for the season, showing stability and consistency, then I'd be more than happy.

1. Chelsea
2. Man City
3. Arsenal
4. Man Utd/Liverpool
5. Liverpool/Man Utd
6. Spurs

I'd love to see us in the Semis if the EL though.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Its ok United fans, well panic buy in Jan and next summer Woody will have worked out how to get Vidal and Di Maria :eek:

Premier League title is the main objective, or at least it should be.

If we get Schneiderlin I think that's our business done for this window, assuming Vermaelen stays. Obviously if he goes we'll buy another defender. Want another striker but apparently the club isn't in the market for one.

Edit: also can't understate the significance of bringing in Shad Forsythe.

Danchi

As long as we turn up for the season, showing stability and consistency, then I'd be more than happy.

1. Chelsea
2. Man City
3. Arsenal
4. Man Utd/Liverpool
5. Liverpool/Man Utd
6. Spurs

I'd love to see us in the Semis if the EL though.

This is what I'm expecting, too. Think Everton will have another good season and push Spurs for 6th.

Walshy

If we get Schneiderlin I think that's our business done for this window, assuming Vermaelen stays. Obviously if he goes we'll buy another defender. Want another striker but apparently the club isn't in the market for one.
Arsenal best get working on Schneirderlin:
Simon Peach ‏@SimonPeach 7m
I am told Schneiderlin & Rodriguez are close to linking up with former #SaintsFC boss Pochettino at #THFC. It never rains but it pours.

It was retweeted by Phil McNulty too, who is accurate most of the time.

Carbonox

craig sainsbury

simon peach

ieBViOIubAlm1.png

How much will Pjanic cost United? £35m??

That's FM-esque stuff from Rafa there. You click 'Continue' only to see 'Wnt' next to half your team.

Don't think United should go after Pjanic now. He's just a better version of Herrera. United need more of an all arounder, a dm, or someone with an engine.

Barzul

Arsenal best get working on Schneirderlin:

It was retweeted by Phil McNulty too, who is accurate most of the time.

Enter Willy C.

The only reason I can think of for Schneiderlin going to Spurs over us is that we don't want him.

Will be gutted.

What a dumb career move. Starter at Arsenal with our current team and CL football or Spurs. It might just be we think we can get someone better.

Danchi

Don't Everton still need a striker?

The rumour is they've offered Chelsea £20m for Lukaku which is very ambitious for them. Even if that doesn't work out for them, it shows they know that's the area they need to strengthen and that they're prepared to spend money.

They'll also have Arouna Kone back from injury who was decent in his season at Wigan (though obviously not to the standard of Lukaku).

Barzul

FK ‏@fkhanage 20m
Contrary to reports, the fee for Chambers is not £16m outright. Initial fee of c.£11m with various add-ons like appearances & achievements.

Similar to the Ox deal. Wonder if Soton got anything because of our FA Cup win.

The rumour is they've offered Chelsea £20m for Lukaku which is very ambitious for them. Even if that doesn't work out for them, it shows they know that's the area they need to strengthen and that they're prepared to spend money.

They'll also have Arouna Kone back from injury who was decent in his season at Wigan (though obviously not to the standard of Lukaku).

How come nobody wants to buy Everton?

Jarnet87

Don't think United should go after Pjanic now. He's just a better version of Herrera. United need more of an all arounder, a dm, or someone with an engine.

Is Chelsea still trying to offload Ramires, I'd take him in a heartbeat. Some people don't rate him but I think he'd be solid in a box to box role at United for a couple of seasons.

Schneiderlin waste of money. We don't need a player in that position. Also we have six central midfielders and he's been playing Ryan Mason there as well. I think that's enough.

jesalr

How much will Pjanic cost United? £35m??

That's FM-esque stuff from Rafa there. You click 'Continue' only to see 'Wnt' next to half your team.

To be fair, Rafa plays the transfer market the way I play FIFA career mode. Enquire, be told Pogba will cost £50m, high tail out of there.

Well until I started winning things, now I have £300m stashed, just incase.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Rumour: Vidal's agent is going to present us with United's 60 million offer tonight

60 is gud. Sure it's 940 million less than his true worth, but we will take it, because we're a wee club now with a wee mentality.

I'll wee on our corpse at the end of this season

jesalr

Schneiderlin waste of money. We don't need a player in that position. Also we have six central midfielders and he's been playing Ryan Mason there as well. I think that's enough.

Well, flat out DMs we have Sandro, Capoue, and Bentaleb. Sandro wants out, depending on who you believe. That's the only reason I could see us going in for Schneiderlin. I wouldn't be too opposed to that. I worry about Sandro after his injury a couple of seasons back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom