• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2014/15 |OT1| Wes to make an awesome 2014-2015 OT1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barzul

Yurt seems very calm about all of this. At least he hasn't turned into Milch when we all talk about Reus / Hummels.

Because he knows there's no fucking chance we get Pogba unless we pay something like 70 million euros. Even then it might not be enough.

jtb

Banned
Giroud is shit.

barring injury (and he's proven to be indestructible, unfortunately), he will start 50 games again this season.

Barzul

Giroud is shit.

barring injury (and he's proven to be indestructible, unfortunately), he will start 50 games again this season.

Chamakh was shit. Park Chu Young was utter shit. Giroud isn't shit he's just a downgrade from the elite forwards we're used to.

jtb

Banned
He's shit because he fundamentally destroys the way we play and nullifies our shiny 40m signing's strengths. the team looks more threatening whenever Sanogo starts and that's taking into account the fact that Sanogo can't finish and is even clumsier than Giroud.

that's a problem.

Sanogo creates space for our midfield, Giroud clogs up that space.

also Giroud is a horrid header of the ball. how can you be signed as a "traditional center forward" and be completely immobile AND be incapable of heading the ball? that's just inexcusable. at least be good at one or the other (see: Chamakh)

Salvadora

He's shit because he fundamentally destroys the way we play and nullifies our shiny 40m signing's strengths. the team looks more threatening whenever Sanogo starts and that's taking into account the fact that Sanogo can't finish and is even clumsier than Giroud.

that's a problem.

also Giroud is a horrid header of the ball. how can you be signed as a "traditional center forward" and be completely immobile AND be incapable of heading the ball? that's just inexcusable. at least be good at one or the other (see: Chamakh)
But.... he doesn't.

His hold-up play was integral to how we played last season.

jtb

Banned
But.... he doesn't.

His hold-up play was integral to how we played last season.

Sanogo held up the ball just as well as Giroud did. And Giroud makes it so easy for the opposition to just pack men behind the ball and make it impossible for us to break anyone down. sure, we can break down the Norwich's of the world with fancy one touch passing but you're not going to be able to score against any top teams playing like that. Maybe if you're Barcelona, but not with these players.

Giroud playing up front also means that we can't counter anyone effectively. That's when this team, whether Wenger wants to admit it or not, is most deadly.

Barzul

that's a problem.

How do you explain all those goals Ramsey scored last season? Who do you think created most of that space by pulling defenders away? Giroud did. A prime example is the goal Ramsey scored vs Dortmund. And Giroud scored a decent number of headed goals. Around 5 or so I think. I don't see your argument at all. My number one criticism for Giroud is that he lacks the ability to run into space and slows down our attacks because of that. He definitely creates chances for our midfielders as evidenced by his high assist number.

M3nEjl6.gif

Southampton is the tray in this gif

3Sixty

He lives in a flat?

Most of the young players here do.

Also
Around midday today Morgans agents were at St Mary's expecting to find out and discuss which bid had been accepted by the club for him. you can imagine his surprise at the statements made by our chairman a few hours later. He has been lied to by the club and promises that were made to him and have now been broken. IMO i still think he we go (has a club ever kept a player who didnt wish to stay?), and the worst possible thing Krueger could have said. Are we now gonna have a player go on strike? i personally think its best we let any who don't want to be here go. The club are scared after the fans reaction to the Chambers sale and are now trying to placate the fans by blocking Morgans promised transfer.

Salvadora

Sanogo held up the ball just as well as Giroud did. And Giroud makes it so easy for the opposition to just pack men behind the ball and make it impossible for us to break anyone down. sure, we can break down the Norwich's of the world with fancy one touch passing but you're not going to be able to score against any top teams playing like that. Maybe if you're Barcelona, but not with these players.

Giroud playing up front also means that we can't counter anyone effectively. That's when this team, whether Wenger wants to admit it or not, is most deadly.
I'm honestly not sure how you can make an argument that Sanogo > Giroud, or that he's shit.

He's a limited player. This is what Arsenal fans understand. He's slow. He's not a good finisher. But he is creative, links up with other players well and got a boatload of assists last season. Can Sanogo do that? No.

No one will deny that we need a better CF with a different skillset, but come on.

Barzul

I'm honestly not sure how you can make an argument that Sanogo > Giroud, or that he's shit.

He's a limited player. This is what Arsenal fans understand. He's slow. He's not a good finisher. But he is creative, links up with other players well and got a boatload of assists last season. Can Sanogo do that? No.

No one will deny that we need a better CF with a different skillset, but come on.

I don't see how any sane Arsenal fan could believe that after watching them both last season. Sanogo is raw as hell.

jtb

Banned
I'm not arguing Sanogo > Giroud.

I'm saying the team looked FAR more effective with a striker capable of running behind, heading the ball, and holding up the ball—and that's even taking into account Sanogo being shit! it's a statement about the WAY we play, not the player.

Shit is harsh but he's simply at the wrong club, he's not cut out for it here. As a back-up, he has no role because he can't get games playing on the wing and he's not a clinical finisher, so he can't just come into the team and be an impact sub. At a Swansea, he'll play every game of the season and score 15-20 goals being the focal point of that attack just like Michu and Gylfi. but being the focal point is going to also significantly limit the way you play and it's just not going to work at Arsenal.

He's not good enough and if he leads the line again this season (which it looks like he will), then we will finish 4th. Again.

I totally admit that I want to see Arsenal play far more direct football. And I want strikers that can finish. Giroud can't do either.

Scum

We kept Suarez.

Worked wonders.

Wonder who else had bid for Morgan.

Or if it was just Arsenal and Spurs.

Arsenal - £23m plus addons
Liverpool - £22m plus addons
Spurs - £0m up front. £16m over 48 weeks. £5m after 10 international apps.

Salvadora

Shit is harsh but he's simply at the wrong club, he's not cut out for it here. As a back-up, he has no role because he can't get games playing on the wing and he's not a clinical finisher, so he can't just come into the team and be an impact sub. At a Swansea, he'll play every game of the season and score 15-20 goals being the focal point of that attack just like Michu and Gylfi. but being the focal point is going to also significantly limit the way you play and it's just not going to work at Arsenal.

He's not good enough and if he leads the line again this season (which it looks like he will), then we will finish 4th. Again.

I totally admit that I want to see Arsenal play far more direct football. And I want strikers that can finish. Giroud can't do either.
Of course he has a role here.

We play 6(!) games in August and every one of them is important. We need more than one CF for that, and not just a player to come on as an impact sub, but one to play 90 minutes.

You're upset about the way we play, fair enough. I'm not enamoured by what I saw last season either, but losing Walcott was a punch to the gut. Cannot be overstated. In one Champions League game last season, Ozil created 4 clear-cut chances for him. And now we have Sanchez too, which will augment our attack.

And it's no surprise Giroud's performances in the second half of the season dropped because he was asked to carry the CF load alone. Which is completely unacceptable.

bud

so schneiderlin doesn't want to sign for arsenal because he cannot be guaranteed a starting spot, and then he cries on twitter after his transfer to the spurs falls through? he's never going to make it it.

Salvadora

The whole "guaranteed a starting place" is a load of shit.

You play well, you're in the team. You don't and you're not.

This isn't Real Madrid we're talking about, who stockpile players, it's Arsenal.

jtb

Banned
Of course he has a role here.

We play 6(!) games in August and every one of them is important. We need more than one CF for that, and not just a player to come on as an impact sub, but one to play 90 minutes.

You're upset about the way we play, fair enough. I'm not enamoured by what I saw last season either, but losing Walcott was a punch to the gut. Cannot be overstated. In one Champions League game last season, Ozil created 4 clear-cut chances for him.

let's say Sanchez can play as the striker type we're all hoping he becomes. then what happens to Giroud? he sits on the bench for 3 months, and plays only when there's a low stakes cup match or Sanchez gets injured.

it's easy to forget but Chamakh actually had a really great start to his Arsenal career. it's only after RVP got fit again that he got (unintentionally) frozen out because he was obviously never going to displace RVP from the starting lineup and he couldn't play on the wing.

that's what happens when you play a lone striker system. either you stay sharp by playing on the wings, like a Sturridge or even a Podolski/Theo, or you get unintentionally really rusty and don't really impress in those isolated chances to play. I just don't see Giroud succeeding as a backup type because he lacks the versatility to be a squad player and lacks the killer finishing instinct to be brought on as a super sub.

I completely agree re: Theo. I think of that win away at Bayern. Giroud's opening goal was basically Theo laying it in for Giroud to tap it in. Giroud's lack of pace was compensated perfectly by Theo outpacing the full backs and cutting the ball back. Theo was very important to both RVP and Giroud's success. Theo and Ozil will be a brilliant partnership if Theo can stay fit this season.

Scum

so schneiderlin doesn't want to sign for arsenal because he cannot be guaranteed a starting spot, and then he cries on twitter after his transfer to the spurs falls through? he's never going to make it it.

We keep him for the first half of the season. MoPo leaves in Nov and is replaced by Koeman. Then you can have him for the 2nd half of the season.

Salvadora

let's say Sanchez can play as the striker type we're all hoping he becomes. then what happens to Giroud? he sits on the bench for 3 months, and plays only when there's a low stakes cup match or Sanchez gets injured.

it's easy to forget but Chamakh actually had a really great start to his Arsenal career. it's only after RVP got fit again that he got (unintentionally) frozen out because he was obviously never going to displace RVP from the starting lineup and he couldn't play on the wing.

that's what happens when you play a lone striker system. either you stay sharp by playing on the wings, like a Sturridge or even a Podolski/Theo, or you get unintentionally really rusty and don't really impress in those isolated chances to play. I just don't see Giroud succeeding as a backup type because he lacks the versatility to be a squad player and lacks the killer finishing instinct to be brought on as a super sub.
There is an answer to that and we saw it last season: 4-4-2.

Wenger even mentioned it in relation to Sanchez.

Barzul

I completely agree re: Theo. I think of that win away at Bayern. Giroud's opening goal was basically Theo laying it in for Giroud to tap it in. Giroud's lack of pace was compensated perfectly by Theo outpacing the full backs and cutting the ball back. Theo was very important to both RVP and Giroud's success. Theo and Ozil will be a brilliant partnership if Theo can stay fit this season.

We're about to hand Giroud a 2 yr extension, obviously Wenger has plans for him. In every statement Wenger has made about a new forward, it's been he's looking for a forward that can play with Giroud or without him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom