• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2014/15 |OT1| Wes to make an awesome 2014-2015 OT1

Status
Not open for further replies.

GorillaJu

Me too. players like Shaw, Schneiderlin, Lallana—they make sense, their value is already very inflated and if they're going to sell, they may as well do it now because their price will never be higher. but play Chambers a full season, show him off a bit, and surely they could get a Shaw-like fee in a year or two. but I guess the fire sale is in full force; all this Schniederlin stuff is just posturing I imagine. He's a good player but 27m would definitely be an overpay.

there's not much (if any) incentive to spend just to stay in mid-table. either spend big and pray for CL money or just tear it all down. even getting relegated isn't that bad; you get huge parachute payments and with 100m in the bank, you could surely make a run at promotion pretty quickly and easily. really harsh for the fans but it looks like the club is in complete turmoil at the executive level so any kind of long-term project is unrealistic anyways.

Ronald Koeman has a worthy reputation though. If he's allowed to put together a squad with even half the money they're getting in transfer fees this year I think Southampton won't struggle to stay up. I mean you have clubs like Sunderland who barely escaped by the skin of their teeth, and QPR where Redknapp seems keen to repeat the exact mistakes that put them in such a quagmire last time they were in the PL. I agree with you I just hope Southampton don't capsize.

jtb

Banned
Ronald Koeman has a worthy reputation though. If he's allowed to put together a squad with even half the money they're getting in transfer fees this year I think Southampton won't struggle to stay up. I mean you have clubs like Sunderland who barely escaped by the skin of their teeth, and QPR where Redknapp seems keen to repeat the exact mistakes that put them in such a quagmire last time they were in the PL. I agree with you I just hope Southampton don't capsize.

I think the difficulty for Southampton, regardless of whether or not Koeman is allowed to spend, is the huge turnover of players. it's not unheard of for recently promoted teams to survive with Championship level squads just because they can play together as better than the sum of their parts, while QPR buys an entirely new squad of players each summer and promptly gets relegated. we'll see what happens.

if they keep selling and don't reinforce at all, it would be a very bad look for the league; I can't think of anything like it, off the top of my head. will be very interesting to see how the rest of their summer and the season goes.

Lightning

Banned
I... what?

Calum Chambers, more talented than:

Cesc Fabregas
Samir Nasri
Jack Wilshere
Theo Walcott
Alex Oxlaid-Chamberlain
Gordon Ramsey
Samir Nasri being on that list is an insult. Barely 21 when we brought him and only stayed with us 3 very inconsistent years.

The other thing is you mention all attacking players. Chambers is a huge step in the right direction about fixing our defence. Gibbs is young too.

Oxlade-Chamberlain is questionable. Wilshere doesn't belong on that list and I have more faith in Chambers than I have in Wilshere.

GorillaJu

Samir Nasri being on that list is an insult. Barely 21 when we brought him and only stayed with us 3 very inconsistent years.

The other thing is you mention all attacking players. Chambers is a huge step in the right direction about fixing our defence. Gibbs is young too.

Oxlade-Chamberlain is questionable. Wilshere doesn't belong on that list and I have more faith in Chambers than I have in Wilshere.

Okay, feel free to go full-on ahead with the hype train on a player you've probably only seen once or twice. Just don't be surprised if RAWK posters start copy/pasting some of the posts here for a giggle, because right now that lot looks a lot more sane than someone declaring Chambers the most talented under 21 buy in the last decade.

Lightning

Banned
Okay, feel free to go full-on ahead with the hype train on a player you've probably only seen once or twice. Just don't be surprised if RAWK posters start copy/pasting some of the posts here for a giggle, because right now that lot looks a lot more sane than someone declaring Chambers the most talented under 21 buy in the last decade.
That's not what I'm declaring and who cares what RAWK posters are doing.

I said Calum Chambers represents a significant step forward. Be honest, did you think Arsene would ever shell out 16m for a 19yr old defender?

jtb

Banned
the thing about young players... we should just always replace the word "potential" with "we just don't know how bad they're going to be yet." remember when we didn't buy Xabi Alonso or Barry because Denilson, Alex Song, and Diaby would fill that role for us instead? we've seen plenty of good, talented kids fail to make the next step up.

of course. the question is: do you think Wenger is the right coach to develop Chambers to his full potential? I almost would prefer to just let him develop at Southampton for another few years and then buy him when he's the finished product and costs 30m.

I'm not sold on Wenger's defensive acumen at all. Bould, maybe. but even with the legendary Steve Bould effect, we still shipped 5+ goals three times last season. Sagna was the finished product when we bought him. you could make the argument Wenger hasn't properly developed a quality full back since Ashely Cole, a once in a generation talent. Good signing. But I'm skeptical.

jtb

Banned
DEAN tweets are around the same level of discourse as your average RAWK post but at least no one's taking RAWK posters' word as gospel.

Lightning

Banned
the thing about young players... we should just always replace the word "potential" with "we just don't know how bad they're going to be yet." remember when we didn't buy Xabi Alonso or Barry because Denilson, Alex Song, and Diaby would fill that role for us instead? we've seen plenty of good, talented kids fail to make the next step up.

of course. the question is: do you think Wenger is the right coach to develop Chambers to his full potential? I almost would prefer to just let him develop at Southampton for another few years and then buy him when he's the finished product and costs 30m.

I'm not sold on Wenger's defensive acumen at all. Bould, maybe. but even with the legendary Steve Bould effect, we still shipped 5+ goals three times last season. Sagna was the finished product when we bought him. you could make the argument Wenger hasn't properly developed a quality full back since Ashely Cole, a once in a generation talent. Good signing. But I'm skeptical.
How long do you think Wenger will keep managing? Already there are signs of change. Ozil signing, Sanchez signing, signing up the German fitness man Shad and now Chambers signing. If you hop off your Wenger hate band for a minute to think what's happening in this window you will see that it is not a very "Wenger like" window at all.

Remember last seasons window? We sat on our asses with quotes like 'We're working on it' turned into 'I believe in this groups quality' which turned into a home loss to Villa on the opening day with the crowd booing the crap out of everything and that horror press week that followed it. Remember that shit?

jtb

Banned
How long do you think Wenger will keep managing? Already there are signs of change. Ozil signing, Sanchez signing, signing up the German fitness man Shad and now Chambers signing. If you hop off your Wenger hate band for a minute to think what's happening in this window you will see that it is not a very "Wenger like" window at all.

Remember last seasons window? We sat on our asses with quotes like 'We're working on it' turned into 'I believe in this groups quality' which turned into a home loss to Villa on the opening day with the crowd booing the crap out of everything and that horror press week that followed it. Remember that shit?

I have no idea. A year ago, I thought this was the end of the line for Wenger (and you did too, iirc), especially after that Bayern press conference. but this season was something of a renaissance for the club: we were top of the table for the first time in like six years and we saw Ramsey really come of age in the same way Fabregas did (the last time we were top of the table). and I think Wenger sees that rare talent in Ramsey that he did in Fabregas to build a team around. A lot of his moves seem very win-now oriented (Debuchy, mainly) so I'm thinking he wants to make a serious run at the title in the next three years. CL is never happening.

I don't hate Wenger, I hate Wenger's incessant brigade of supporters who think he deserves some sort of cookie for doing what every other goddamn club has been doing for the past ten years: signing good players. We could do worse. But it's obvious that there are plenty of options out there who are better.

see, last summer was a total disaster. but I honestly think we improved the team more last summer than we have this summer. (with the big caveat being: so far.) Flamini was a big improvement over... nobody! Ozil was a huge improvement. I like Sanchez but Ozil is a rare talent who, before this season, most people would have ranked the best at his position. Chelsea have hugely improved, City have not weakened, Liverpool... who fucking knows how that'll turn out, United have made huge improvements on all fronts. We need to improve significantly to keep pace with the top 4—and even if we sign a DM, I think we're still very far from the title. and that's disappointing.

Lightning

Banned
I have no idea. A year ago, I thought this was the end of the line for Wenger (and you did too, iirc), especially after that Bayern press conference. but this season was something of a renaissance for the club: we were top of the table for the first time in like six years and we saw Ramsey really come of age in the same way Fabregas did (the last time we were top of the table). and I think Wenger sees that rare talent in Ramsey that he did in Fabregas to build a team around. A lot of his moves seem very win-now oriented (Debuchy, mainly) so I'm thinking he wants to make a serious run at the title in the next three years. CL is never happening.

I don't hate Wenger, I hate Wenger's incessant brigade of supporters who think he deserves some sort of cookie for doing what every other goddamn club has been doing for the past ten years: signing good players. We could do worse. But it's obvious that there are plenty of options out there who are better.

see, last summer was a total disaster. but I honestly think we improved the team more last summer than we have this summer. (with the big caveat being: so far.) Flamini was a big improvement over... nobody! Ozil was a huge improvement. I like Sanchez but Ozil is a rare talent who, before this season, most people would have ranked the best at his position. Chelsea have hugely improved, City have not weakened, Liverpool... who fucking knows how that'll turn out, United have made huge improvements on all fronts. We need to improve significantly to keep pace with the top 4—and even if we sign a DM, I think we're still very far from the title. and that's disappointing.
No way we improved more last season than this one, no way. Özil is brilliant but needs the right sort of players around him for it to work. Sanchez is a big step in the right direction to helping Özil. Shad coming in to help the injuries and assist in preventing them will be priceless, quality back up goal keeper, very good fullbacks. DM and striker still an issue but am still sure DM will get sorted this window.

Flamini was a Debuchy like signing, incredibly short term. I mean he's already on his last season now. Chambers represents the future but someone capable of helping right now too. Obviously young player so much like Shaw will make mistakes but if you don't buy these players now they become too expensive and you can't buy them. Chambers will be a great asset this season, you'll see that I'm sure.

wedward

I... what?

Calum Chambers, more talented than:

Cesc Fabregas
Samir Nasri
Jack Wilshere
Theo Walcott
Alex Oxlaid-Chamberlain
Gordon Ramsey

Christ. You are a berk.

You are in japan and claim that you know Barca create more chances than Arsenal because you watch them. Lol. You watch Barca, Arsenal and Liverpool consistnetly. Give me a fucking break.

Jtb give it a rest already. People defend Wenger because they don't think many managers could have kept us in the top 4 while also financing a new stadium. If you don't recognize that as a feat than shame on you.

jtb

Banned
No way we improved more last season than this one, no way. Özil is brilliant but needs the right sort of players around him for it to work. Sanchez is a big step in the right direction to helping Özil. Shad coming in to help the injuries and assist in preventing them will be priceless, quality back up goal keeper, very good fullbacks. DM and striker still an issue but am still sure DM will get sorted this window.

It remains to be seen if Shad will solve our injury problems, but I hope he does.

I don't think even Wenger expected to come out of last summer empty handed without a striker. I'm sure he's looking for a DM. But he was looking for one last summer too and all could come up with in the end was Flamini. We'll see if he can get one. I wouldn't be surprised if we sign one, but I also wouldn't be surprised if we roll with Diaby and Wilshere for a season. 50/50 in my eyes.

jtb

Banned
I like Chambers, I think he's a good signing. Good value too, considering the price young players go for these days. but I also think: does he bring us any closer to the title? I think, at best, he's a horizontal move—Sagna was a damn good right back in his prime and even in his shakier days last season, he was still one of the best in the league. so it's just hard to get too excited about maintaining level with our current standard, which is finishing 4th. and even then, it will take time to develop him into a top player—assuming he even gets there.

Lightning

Banned
It remains to be seen if Shad will solve our injury problems, but I hope he does.

I don't think even Wenger expected to come out of last summer empty handed without a striker. I'm sure he's looking for a DM. But he was looking for one last summer too and all could come up with in the end was Flamini. We'll see if he can get one. I wouldn't be surprised if we sign one, but I also wouldn't be surprised if we roll with Diaby and Wilshere for a season. 50/50 in my eyes.
Nothing is certain in this world.

I think the difference is in our expectations as you want us to be challenging on all fronts and anything less than that is not good enough whereas I don't expect that because we are in my view too far behind to catch that up in this one window so I wanted gradual improvement and I think we're getting that. Chelsea done outstanding business, hard to match that but we're closer to City than we were 12mths ago.

DBT85

Shaw on his fatness

http://m.skysports.com/article/sports//9399698

And after the game, Shaw admitted the Dutchman's comments about his lack of condition were accurate, especially with the club set to line-up in a new 3-5-2 formation this season.

He said: "It's something I totally agree with. Playing in this formation you really have to be fit. I am fit but not at his high demands. I know I have got to get fitter to get up and down.

"That's something I am going to work on, and tonight in 45 minutes I felt really good, so I am looking forward to keep on progressing until the start of the season.

"I didn't come into United thinking it's going to be much harder and that's something I made a mistake on. I thought it was just going to be the same but United is the biggest club in the world and there are world-class players in training so it's something that is going to push me on.

"That's something I need to keep me pushing on and this is only going to help me in the long run.

"Pre-season you are always going to try and get your fitness up so I am not too sure but today I played 45 minutes and I felt great. I could have played on. It's a progression from the last game I played so hopefully now the main focus is getting fitter and fitter and I'll be flying by the start of the season.

"I wasn't meant to play today because me and the staff decided it would be better to push me harder in training, but I didn't have any problems and I feel good."

jtb

Banned
Nothing is certain in this world.

I think the difference is in our expectations as you want us to be challenging on all fronts and anything less than that is not good enough whereas I don't expect that because we are in my view too far behind to catch that up in this one window so I wanted gradual improvement and I think we're getting that. Chelsea done outstanding business, hard to match that but we're closer to City than we were 12mths ago.

I'm not saying we should win the quadruple. I think the CL is permanently out of reach; winning in Europe requires tactical discipline, flexibility and attention to detail, three things Wenger most certainly does not have. but we haven't won a CL tie in... four? years I think. a CL tie against an actual good team in even longer.

I just want to see us playing well against the top sides. Our run in was utterly pathetic. Not scoring a single goal against Chelsea or Moyes United was pathetic. Even last year's FA cup run was a fluke considering we lucked into avoiding City and Chelsea, two teams that we could not beat in the league. But that's the way the cup works and I get that. I just want to see us competing and fighting with the top teams on the pitch, rather than outright capitulation. Whether that means winning the cup again, winning the league, making the CL semifinals... I think any one of those three things should be reasonable to expect of Wenger at this point. we do any one of those three things, and this season is a success.

jtb

Banned
Arsenal had a top 4 wage bill the past ten years. Wenger hasn't over performed, he hasn't underperformed, he's performed exactly to expectations. Good for him. It's capable to acknowledge Wenger has both strengths and weakness. Especially when Wenger's weaknesses are so numerous and obvious and have nothing to do with the financing of a new stadium.

Christ. You are a berk.

You are in japan and claim that you know Barca create more chances than Arsenal because you watch them. Lol. You watch Barca, Arsenal and Liverpool consistnetly. Give me a fucking break.

Of course Barca create more chances. They're fucking Barca who keep possession better than every team except maybe Bayern and have players that create non stop. How else do you think they score as many as they do?

Barca and Madrid are usually on later than PL matches as well.

FootballFan

Of course Barca create more chances. They're fucking Barca who keep possession better than every team except maybe Bayern and have players that create non stop. How else do you think they score as many as they do?

Barca > Bayern (at possession)

wedward

Possession doesn't guarantee more chances.

They only created 80 more chances than Arsenal.

I highly doubt he watched Liverpool, Arsenal, and Barca games.

Possession doesn't guarantee more chances.

They only created 80 more chances than Arsenal.

I highly doubt he watched Liverpool, Arsenal, and Barca games.

80 more chances = a lot.

They give 1 more through ball per game, they score 100 goals a season, they have more shots per game, more dribbles per game, etc...

They have more opportunities to create chances.

The only conflict comes between Liverpool and Arsenal. They might have matches at the same time more often than Barca vs a PL match. The big 2 have matches late all the time so you don't have to choose between watching the PL and La Liga.

His comment wasn't outlandish at all.

wedward

80 more chances = a lot.

They give 1 more through ball per game, they score 100 goals a season, they have more shots per game, more dribbles per game, etc...

They have more opportunities to create chances.

The only conflict comes between Liverpool and Arsenal. They might have matches at the same time more often than Barca vs a PL match. The big 2 have matches late all the time so you don't have to choose between watching the PL and La Liga.

His comment wasn't outlandish at all.

80 more over a season equals about .6 a game. If you can eyeball that you should be scout.

A noon PST game is 4am in Japan.

jtb

Banned
let's stop using the word "chance." all Opta defines it as is a shot. a player "creating a chance" is just a pass that is immediately followed by a shot. not necessarily a useless stat, but certainly one whose name is very misleading

are Barcelona better at keeping the ball? yes. are they better at slicing open the opposition? obviously. and are they better at putting the ball in the back of the net? yes. are Barcelona better at football than Arsenal? yes. what exactly is there to debate about this.

wedward

let's stop using the word "chance." all Opta defines it as is a shot. a player "creating a chance" is just a pass that is immediately followed by a shot. not necessarily a useless stat, but certainly one whose name is very misleading

are Barcelona better at keeping the ball? yes. are they better at slicing open the opposition? obviously. and are they better at putting the ball in the back of the net? yes. are Barcelona better at football than Arsenal? yes. what exactly is there to debate about this.

The argument was whether Barca or Arsenal would create more chances for Sanchez.

Missed the 1. 1.6 at 50 games per season.

Lol. Now you want to argue the definition.

No because chance created/key pass stats are worthless as Viva and many others have mentioned in the past before this conversation started.

You're welcome to use that stat you listed which ruled in favor of Barca though.

Like I have said. Barca have more dribbles, put more through balls, more shots per game, etc... which does get noticed by the eye. It's certainly not worth laughing at the mention of Barca creating more than Arsenal even if he were slightly wrong due to the amount of goals Barca score a season.

jtb

Banned
I see people are banging their heads against the wedward again.

"lol." (can be substituted with "christ.")

"GET INNNN"

"aren't you the one who said [something I disagree with]"

it's all getting a bit tired isnt it. at this rate, I'll be a Liverpool fan by deadline day

Fell asleep about the hour mark. Kagawa looked much sharper in his proper position.

Do most teams who play 352 split their strikers to stop the ball coming up the wings when defending?

LTWheels

I'm worried about Sturridge getting injured tonight. Just feel it's going to happen.

It would be nice to see Lovren play, but I doubt we will see him this tour. Is he even in the US with the squad?

GorillaJu

He is freaking out because I said I think Sanchez would score fewer goals for Arsenal than he did for Barca. Not even by a lot, I said he'd probably score about 2/3 of the goals.

I could explain that the quality of chances are higher at Barcelona, that La Liga defenses allow openings that a player of Sanchez's ability is more capable of exploiting, that Barcelona shoot mostly from inside the box with the ball on the ground... All things I could explain to backup my viewpoint if I wasn't talking to a fucking child.

And it's impossible for me to view games apparently because of time zone differences... because watching games live as they happen is the only way to watch them, right? Please, of all the things to attack. We live in the 21st fucking century and yes I watch a lot of games live as well and lose a lot of sleep. I'm up until 3-4am every Saturday and Sunday because I'm addicted to football.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom