• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2014/15 |OT1| Wes to make an awesome 2014-2015 OT1

Status
Not open for further replies.

L1NETT

Gah somebody is ebaying this badboy

$_57.JPG

Must

resist

Hixx

Latest episode of Utopia, shit is POPPING OFF.

I will be legit gutted when this show ends. It's entertaining as fuck and it's beautiful to watch.

Is Torres really on his way out? Who would pay any money for him? Even on a loan they'd have to pay his massive wage. I doubt he goes anywhere, he's another David Bentley. He's given up and will retire once his contract runs out.

I refuse to believe he is going out either, I truly hope he is though. But yeah, him accepting a huge way cut and going to Atletico or Inter is the best bet, and I don't see it happening.

shiroryu

Good for Everton, but Spurs and United have improved their squads while they've mostly finalized people they already had (except Besic). Europa League coming in too, so seventh next season, probably.

Clegg

and yet if he hadnt joined united this wouldnt even be happening. Everyone has to be the next big thing when a big name team signs a player

Do you really think that?

This is a lad who has played 60 Premier League games and started in a world cup all before his 19th birthday. He'd be getting this treatment even if he was still at Southampton imo. In fact, I think he was.

The worst thing about this Lukaku transfer is that it will pretty much confirm we are having another season of Torres being Torres, showing flashes of brilliance to get himself in the team but ultimately being a pile of shite who can't score. Hopefully Costa and Drogba will stay fit enough so he stays on the bench and we spend the Lukaku money well.

Fintan

I read somewhere that the Belgians are expected at training at 4 o'clock. So Lukaku not showing up will definitely confirm it soon.

Seems like Kehl stepped down to help the new captain if needed.

I fucking love Kehl. It's a shame he was injured so often and missed so many WCs/Euros, could have been an important player for Germany as well.

GorillaJu

I'm really surprised at the positive reaction to EA's subscription service. It just seems like a really bad idea to me to buy into. They're a single publisher - going with a console manufacturer's "free games subscription" plan that ultimately includes much more than simply deferring when you pay for your games seems more logical to me. If it were announced for PS4 it'd be a non-starter for me. I guess the fact that I don't like any EA games makes it that much simpler a decision.

I'm really surprised at the positive reaction to EA's subscription service. It just seems like a really bad idea to me to buy into. They're a single publisher - going with a console manufacturer's "free games subscription" plan that ultimately includes much more than simply deferring when you pay for your games seems more logical to me. If it were announced for PS4 it'd be a non-starter for me. I guess the fact that I don't like any EA games makes it that much simpler a decision.

and that EA has pretty much nothing coming out soon. Their E3 conference said everything lol. I will just prefer to buy fifa (and if BF ever becomes good again) through the mexican or indian origin store for cheap.

The most important thing here is the price is right.

For now, then new games are released then you have the option to upgrade to play the newer titles.

Unless heavy micro transaction based games like FIFA 15 they could give that away for free day 1 and still make a profit.

They offered Season Ticket on 360/PS3 which gave early access to the sports titles and some little bits of DLC free with it for the same price.

The yearly subscription is a great value (imo) for what you're getting, 4 games with full access - more to be added too and you get what you got from the old Season Ticket plus non-sports games as well.

The 10% discount is quite nice as well although I doubt I will use it much except for Peggle 2 and Dragon Age Inquisition DLC.

Putting it into perspective, I spent £20 on this EA thing, I had a disc version of Fifa 14 which I can trade into Amazon for £22.50 (making it essentially free for me) and I get Fifa 14, BF4 and Madden 25 as well (I already own Peggle 2).

It obviously depends on the mileage per person but I doubt either Sony or MS were going to get these titles in PS+ or GwG anytime soon. Monthly fee is expensive but yearly if you're into those sorts of games seems like a no-brainer to me. Its also completely optional, doesn't require Xbox Live Gold to have it (but obviously does for online play)

Barzul

Not like they didn't offer to Sony. And it's exactly what it is, a subscription service for people who like or are interested in EA games well at least for now. Isn't this somewhat similar to how Valve started with Steam? I'd like to see the service given a chance to grow, who knows, they might be able to get other publishers on board.

Jack cw

Seems like Kehl stepped down to help the new captain if needed.

I fucking love Kehl. It's a shame he was injured so often and missed so many WCs/Euros, could have been an important player for Germany as well.

Just like Reus?
No, Kehl really impressed me the last few years.

GorillaJu

Not like they didn't offer to Sony. And it's exactly what it is, a subscription service for people who like or are interested in EA games well at least for now. Isn't this somewhat similar to how Valve started with Steam? I'd like to see the service given a chance to grow, who knows, they might be able to get other publishers on board.

This is a different thing from Steam. My issue with is it the idea that I'd be paying a subscription to a single publisher for older games that I wasn't going to buy anyway. The main thread to me looks like people shopping at Costco for the first time - they buy these huge bulk packages of things because of the value, but in the end they end up paying more, because they've bought things that they weren't going to buy originally.

Anyway did Valve really start off with a paid subscription service on Steam? I was anti-Steam when it first came out, it was just a buggy mess and at the time digital purchases didn't make sense. I have nothing morally against it I'm just surprised that the reactions have been so upbeat, when my first instinct was to roll my eyes at the thought of it. If the EA thing was attractive to me, I'd change my tune about it.

L1NETT

Isn't a netflix thing for games the end point of all this stuff anyway?

People are taking baby steps but hopefully we get to a unified streaming thing soon enough

It's pretty different from Steam... That was never based on a subscription. Fifa is the only game I will buy from them and that is through their indian or mexican stores, cause fuck EA. Having bought both Sim City and Battlefield 4 I am done with giving them chances.

EmiPrime

I agree with you and I think it sets a horrible precedent too.

Salvadora

Isn't a netflix thing for games the end point of all this stuff anyway?

People are taking baby steps but hopefully we get to a unified streaming thing soon enough
Streaming games will become a bigger thing in the future, undoubtedly, but it's difficult to see how a Netflix of gaming could take off.

The movie industry doesn't have 3 different hardware manufacturers, for a start.

Barzul

This is a different thing from Steam. My issue with is it the idea that I'd be paying a subscription to a single publisher for older games that I wasn't going to buy anyway. The main thread to me looks like people shopping at Costco for the first time - they buy these huge bulk packages of things because of the value, but in the end they end up paying more, because they've bought things that they weren't going to buy originally.

Anyway did Valve really start off with a paid subscription service on Steam? I was anti-Steam when it first came out, it was just a buggy mess and at the time digital purchases didn't make sense. I have nothing morally against it I'm just surprised that the reactions have been so upbeat, when my first instinct was to roll my eyes at the thought of it. If the EA thing was attractive to me, I'd change my tune about it.
Steam was never a paid subscription service but it was mostly Valve games when it started off I believe. I don't see why EA couldn't get other publishers on board if this proves successful. The price is extremely appealing. I'd want to get a digital version of the games they have available, but not for the $60 I'd have to pay to get it on the Xbox store. I'm selling my copy of FIFA once I subscribe to this.

I agree with you and I think it sets a horrible precedent too.

What's the horrible precedent? The games are still available to buy separately if you so choose digitally and/or physically. This is an option that has never existed before.

Barzul

It's pretty different from Steam... That was never based on a subscription. Fifa is the only game I will buy from them and that is through their indian or mexican stores, cause fuck EA. Having bought both Sim City and Battlefield 4 I am done with giving them chances.

They're clearly trying now. Delaying Battlefield. Pushing back Dragon Age. Offering services like this. It'll take a while to build back trust but I'm certainly interested.

It would be worth it if you got new games included...but seeing as they're hyping up FIFA and Madden 14, games that are nearly a year old with their sequels preparing to launch, I see no reason to switch from PS+

They're clearly trying now. Delaying Battlefield. Pushing back Dragon Age. Offering services like this. It'll take a while to build back trust but I'm certainly interested.

How many times have we heard this from EA? Christ, I can't believe anyone still eats it up. They release their broken ass games, or games split up with the ending in DLC and such, which pisses off people and then they do their "we're sorry". The only reason they delayed Battlefield Hardlines is because people realized it's nothing but a shitty Battlefield 4 mod, a mod for a game that only just started working somewhat for them months after release. Trust is something they earn by not doing this over and over again.

L1NETT

EA have done a sterling job of almost destroying the Battlefield brand name

If Hardline comes out and it's like that beta......

Oh dear oh dear

Nearly Medal of Honour bad

Barzul

How many times have we heard this from EA? Christ, I can't believe anyone still eats it up. They release their broken ass games, or games split up with the ending in DLC and such, which pisses off people and then they do their "we're sorry". The only reason they delayed Battlefield Hardlines is because people realized it's nothing but a shitty Battlefield 4 mod, a mod for a game that only just started working somewhat for them months after release. Trust is something they earn by not doing this over and over again.

Exactly. But you're assuming they'll continue being the way they currently are to till the end of time. We have no way of knowing that, we can only watch and see and put in our money when we feel comfortable with the company. It's your own decision to make.

Exactly. But you're assuming they'll continue being the way they currently are to till the end of time. We have no way of knowing that, we can only watch and see and put in our money when we feel comfortable with the company. It's your own decision to make.

It sure is, and that is why I have no real interest in them other than Fifa anymore. They have been destroying my favorite games and developers for 15 years which really is as long as I remember with gaming, and been complete cunts on top of it too. They do the apology speech, gets most people back on their side, just to fuck them over completely once again.

Tc91

Chelsea are letting him go on the cheap if £24 million is the fee.

Chelsea could have asked for more.

Matt Law ‏@Matt_Law_DT 44s
Am told Lukaku fee is £24m, plus add ons based on whether Everton qualify for CL or win a trophy. Total deal potentially worth close to £30m

Barzul

It's interesting that Wenger started using Chambers as a CB immediately during training. Wouldn't be surprised if he starts there for us at the Emirates Cup and Community shield.

I don't buy the trying BS - they were trying to do the same thing with BF Hardline as they did 4 and set a release date without any considerations for the quality of the product. But clearly their PS4/PC beta told them they had to delay it, I would guess.

I don't think EA are on some "path to salvation" or whatever, their new CEO seems just no different to their previous one but its definitely the right price and offers me something I want.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom