• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2014/15 |OT1| Wes to make an awesome 2014-2015 OT1

Status
Not open for further replies.

GorillaJu

How many times have we heard this from EA? Christ, I can't believe anyone still eats it up. They release their broken ass games, or games split up with the ending in DLC and such, which pisses off people and then they do their "we're sorry". The only reason they delayed Battlefield Hardlines is because people realized it's nothing but a shitty Battlefield 4 mod, a mod for a game that only just started working somewhat for them months after release. Trust is something they earn by not doing this over and over again.

Truth. Just sick of it from them. I'm not anti-EA specifically but when was the last time they released a full, finished game that wasn't either a buggy mess on release or had some massive corners cut in the end? Don't even get me started on their mobile atrocities like Dungeon Master, which was exactly the same game as regular Dungeon Master except with tedious waiting built-in to drive in-app purchases.

I don't play Fifa to be fair, I realize people really love those games and that's fine, but are we under the impression that Fifa 15 will be a free game in the "vault" when it's released? How long will that take? Will it be two months before Fifa 16, like we're getting now?

That's fine if you guys see value in it, but I can't no matter how hard I look. I'm worried about what Activision and Ubisoft will do. And god forbid if Capcom got future Dragon Dogmas behind some awful subscription service. Bad precedent being set by Microsoft for OKing this.

Salvadora

It's interesting that Wenger started using Chambers as a CB immediately during training. Wouldn't be surprised if he starts there for us at the Emirates Cup and Community shield.
Might not have much of a choice.

Mertesacker is still on holiday and Vermaelen is in limbo.

LNBL

What I am wondering is if the whole try the game 5 days before release will be similar to the season ticket that Fifa has.

Matt Law ‏@Matt_Law_DT 44s
Am told Lukaku fee is £24m, plus add ons based on whether Everton qualify for CL or win a trophy. Total deal potentially worth close to £30m

Good deal for us.

Lukaku cost £11m + add-ons rising to £18m, he made 4 starts so its likely we didn't pay any of the add-ons.

He'll have a book value of £4.4m left (£11m / 5 years of contract) so £24m is £20m~ profit plus any add-ons. Not bad

Yen

Matt Law ‏@Matt_Law_DT 44s
Am told Lukaku fee is £24m, plus add ons based on whether Everton qualify for CL or win a trophy. Total deal potentially worth close to £30m

£24m + a £6m bonus if Everton qualify for the CL, meaning the total value of the transfer is £24m.

I don't buy the trying BS - they were trying to do the same thing with BF Hardline as they did 4 and set a release date without any considerations for the quality of the product. But clearly their PS4/PC beta told them they had to delay it, I would guess.

I don't think EA are on some "path to salvation" or whatever, their new CEO seems just no different to their previous one but its definitely the right price and offers me something I want.

Which is fair enough, for me however I get a better price with the one thing I want, just buying it through cheap origin stores, and I'm not really about to trust EA by subscribing to anything they do. If Gary Glitter came told me he would stop molesting kids, I wouldn't believe it either. But if he would perform cheap to my birthday party and I was really into his music, I might just hire him just for the day. That is what EA are, the Gary Glitter of the gaming industry, raping our childhood memories
CNB1W6d.png

Where is Farid-chan, he deserves to mock me, after I laughed at him suggesting Lukaku would go there permanently.

It isn't a bad deal for Chelsea, I just feel in this transfer climate it's a little low... But well, take what you can get I guess.

Rad-

It's a bad deal for Chelsea when he turns world class within 2 seasons. Unless there is some sort of clause that makes Chelsea the first option buyer.

What I am wondering is if the whole try the game 5 days before release will be similar to the season ticket that Fifa has.

I would guess so? Single player game like Dragon Age Inquisition will likely give 2 hours play or something (it said "at least 2 hours play" 5 days before release)

£24m + a £6m bonus if Everton qualify for the CL, meaning the total value of the transfer is £24m.

That would make the total value £30m surely? Although I got the impression the bonus was made up of more than just CL qualification

L1NETT

That's fine if you guys see value in it, but I can't no matter how hard I look. I'm worried about what Activision and Ubisoft will do. And god forbid if Capcom got future Dragon Dogmas behind some awful subscription service. Bad precedent being set by Microsoft for OKing this.

EA aren't locking games behind services are they? Haven't read up on it but if this is a company trying their feet in the digital marketplace then go for it. EA probably aren't the easiest company to get behind but meh

No idea what the bad precedent is. Games are so far behind TV films and music it's embarrassing

GorillaJu

Exactly. But you're assuming they'll continue being the way they currently are to till the end of time. We have no way of knowing that, we can only watch and see and put in our money when we feel comfortable with the company. It's your own decision to make.

No, we don't know the future and what will happen.

But look at your options: You have a company that has a really poor record of consumer-milking practices releasing unfinished games early (BF), removing features to push ambition that they can't follow through on (Sim City), dumbing down games which were appreciated specifically for their depth (BioWare stuff), creating sequels and remakes of good games as pure, unashamed money-traps (PvZ 2, Dungeon Master).

Do you:

A) Give them money in advance in hopes that they see the error of their ways and stop ripping people off

B) Withhold supporting them until they show that they are worth trustin

GorillaJu

EA aren't locking games behind services are they? Haven't read up on it but if this is a company trying their feet in the digital marketplace then go for it. EA probably aren't the easiest company to get behind but meh

No idea what the bad precedent is. Games are so far behind TV films and music it's embarrassing

No they aren't, definitely not. What I'm worried about are features (say, Ultimate Team) being a "EA subscriber feature!" in the future. I think it'd take at least 5 years of these things growing before you ever see a game locked behind a publisher-specific subscription. A pub-sub.

Where is Farid-chan, he deserves to mock me, after I laughed at him suggesting Lukaku would go there permanently.

It isn't a bad deal for Chelsea, I just feel in this transfer climate it's a little low... But well, take what you can get I guess.

Chelsea hasn't even been developing him. All you did was pay the initial transfer fee, and you're making a profit on that! Didn't even have to convince the player since Drogba was his idol and he always wanted to go to Chelsea.

No they aren't, definitely not. What I'm worried about are features (say, Ultimate Team) being a "EA subscriber feature!" in the future. I think it'd take at least 5 years of these things growing before you ever see a game locked behind a publisher-specific subscription. A pub-sub.

The concern is fair enough - Ultimate Team wasn't available in the early access for Season Ticket afaik but I think its likely to be a similar thing to Battlefield Premium - DLC/games early then available to everyone else.

It will be interesting to see how it plays out and its obviously not for everyone even if you did play those games.

If EA are on some path to salvation (I'll say again I highly doubt they are) then they will be very careful about how they go about the program and won't lock things behind it.

Ultimately its in their best interests to not be dickheads and if they are its very easy to cancel the sub on Xbox.com

*whoosh. :p

The joke is Everton will never qualify for the CL.

FFS, I can't believe I didn't get that :(

bobito

Banned
Good deal for us.

Lukaku cost £11m + add-ons rising to £18m, he made 4 starts so its likely we didn't pay any of the add-ons.

He'll have a book value of £4.4m left (£11m / 5 years of contract) so £24m is £20m~ profit plus any add-ons. Not bad

Pretty sure football teams are a special case when it comes to amortisation

GorillaJu

The logo really only works with the red kit.

God I miss our Carlsberg jerseys.

Me too. The standard chartered logo is so fucking rectangular, it doesn't look like it's made to be on an athetlic jersey. Something with a bit of movement to it would be so much better. Like the Coca-Cola logo.

inky

It is more likely features like that (Ultimate Team) give additional benefits to subscribers rather than being outright locked. FUT is basically a free to play scheme game already, and I'm surprised there's not a F2P limited standalone version out for example.

It makes more sense that way.

Barzul

No, we don't know the future and what will happen.

But look at your options: You have a company that has a really poor record of consumer-milking practices releasing unfinished games early (BF), removing features to push ambition that they can't follow through on (Sim City), dumbing down games which were appreciated specifically for their depth (BioWare stuff), creating sequels and remakes of good games as pure, unashamed money-traps (PvZ 2, Dungeon Master).

Do you:

A) Give them money in advance in hopes that they see the error of their ways and stop ripping people off

B) Withhold supporting them until they show that they are worth trustin

If the service is good and compelling, I'll pay. It's why I buy FIFA every year. This is the perfect price for me. $30 dollars for 3 games I wouldn't have bought is a really appealing price. My friends sometimes complain that all I have is FIFA when the come over but now I'll have Madden. I certainly won't be buying the other iterations, but if it gets added to the service then fair game.

wedward

Any new Arsenal rumors I can muppet over today?

@LeGrove: I mentioned a while back about Reus being #1 target. Wenger wanted him as a forward. Club agreed fee, down to player who said no.

@LeGrove: Pretty sure fee was closer to £40m. Dortmund want to sell to anyone but Bayern. Looks like that's not going to happen now.

Next summer...

Pretty sure football teams are a special case when it comes to amortisation

Thats how FFP works, its just divided by the length of the contract, if they renew they do it by the remaining value over the new amount of years. In this case, I've ignored any add-on stuff as I don't know if we paid any or not (it seems unlikely but it depends what they were)

Barzul

@LeGrove: I mentioned a while back about Reus being #1 target. Wenger wanted him as a forward. Club agreed fee, down to player who said no.

@LeGrove: Pretty sure fee was closer to £40m. Dortmund want to sell to anyone but Bayern. Looks like that's not going to happen now.

Next summer...

He's probably off to Bayern to join up with his best bud. 3 players in one direction win less than 4 years.

Meier

That's a nice thought but pretty unlikely. You all won the FA Cup and the Champions League in the season he was at the club the whole time. I'd imagine that many of the incentives were met -- you probably profited a bit during his loan moves but it's something we'll never know.

mellz

Anyone watching Qarabag - Salzburg? Crazy game, Qarabag scored their first attack and Salzburg are now 10 men after getting a horribly wrong red card.

Danchi

Arsenal don't need another no. 10 so Reus is out and they don't really need another box-to-box midfielder so Pogba is out, too. Cavani is a weird one. I don't know how well he'd work in Arsenal's system. He's gets classed as this classic no. 9, but he's a real workhorse. He works the channels and tracks back to a ridiculous degree (against England in the WC he played more in the no. 10 position behind Suarez, and there were a couple of times where he was clearing the ball from his own box).

Busquets is the dream signing... I'd take Masch if he's sick of playing in defence.

Great Article

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/28542835

There is an aura about him that exudes authority.

As is normal in such situations, the non-playing members of United's squad did a running session after the 3-2 win over AS Roma.

In an open training session ahead of that first game in LA, Chris Smalling and Fletcher were among those singled out for the most forceful of demands - why, Van Gaal wanted to know, were they not looking at the ball when executing their shooting practice?

This one is the best part:

But perhaps the most telling difference between Van Gaal and Moyes was hidden away in the small print.
A 16-minute interview he gave to a couple of members of the broadcast media ran to 1,180 words.
The word "try" was not used once

jtb

Banned
I wish Chelsea's policy of stockpiling young players didn't make so much business sense. Don't even need to play them, just loan them out for a season or two and their value will double. everyone rated Lukaku and KDB highly when they came on the scene, Chelsea snapped them up and they've made a nice profit out of each. Smart new transfer policy, just in time for FFP too.

he's a big talent, all right

That's a nice thought but pretty unlikely. You all won the FA Cup and the Champions League in the season he was at the club the whole time. I'd imagine that many of the incentives were met -- you probably profited a bit during his loan moves but it's something we'll never know.

Well, its possible either way but he wasn't actually registered in the champions league which might affect things. either way, its still a potentially profit on what his cost was near the end. Someone said on twitter we actually wrote off a load of his transfer fee already although I'm not sure we'd have done that unless they knew last year what was going to happen.

Vanishing spray in the PL is good news btw

GQman2121

Banned
I'm satisfied with Lukaku moving to Everton. He must have made it clear he wasn't interested in competing for a place with us, so Everton is a perfect landing spot. I would rather Astu be loaned to them too over Sunderland.

We've sold quite of a few players this year and all of our signings have been nothing but upgrades. Hopefully that happens one more time now that we have additional house money to play with.

Also, the only way the EA sub has any value for me would be if their entire catalog became available for streaming. Four games, three of which are outdated sports titles, is a poor value. The other additional incentives are decent though.

Barzul

I wish Chelsea's policy of stockpiling young players didn't make so much business sense. Don't even need to play them, just loan them out for a season or two and their value will double. everyone rated Lukaku and KDB highly when they came on the scene, Chelsea snapped them up and they've made a nice profit out of each.

he's a big talent, all right

It's actually quite brilliant. It's why I think they'll soon be completely independent of Abramovich's money pretty soon.

sohois

Thats how FFP works, its just divided by the length of the contract, if they renew they do it by the remaining value over the new amount of years. In this case, I've ignored any add-on stuff as I don't know if we paid any or not (it seems unlikely but it depends what they were)
its not ffp that works that way, but accounting. you amortize ovrr the length of the contract because the transfer of a player is not a loss; it is, as the name implies, a transfer, of value from one store (cash) to another (an asset).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom