• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2014/15 |OT1| Wes to make an awesome 2014-2015 OT1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barzul

We're signing Khedira. Wenger refused to comment on him. Ruled out Balotelli and Quintero. Says Joel Campbell is in his plans. Pretty much confirms Vermaelen is gone. Think we only bring in two more now, Vermaelen replacement and Khedira.

I LOVE Uncharted 2 but The Last Of Us also scratches that Resident Evil fix that's sorely missing in the past generation.

Well, except Dead Space but the ensuing sequels were just disappointing.

I can understand needing to get your zombie fix. Dead Space did it for me. My favourite non MGS/ Sony exclusive of last gen.

Godan

We're signing Khedira. Wenger refused to comment on him. Ruled out Balotelli and Quintero. Says Joel Campbell is in his plans. Pretty much confirms Vermaelen is gone. Think we only bring in two more now, Vermaelen replacement and Khedira.

Wish we would hurry up and sign Khedira if we are going to.

I can understand needing to get your zombie fix. Dead Space did it for me. My favourite non MGS/ Sony exclusive of last gen.

I fucking hated Dead Space, everything that is wrong with current horror games right there. TLOU also did more for me on the horror front than RE or Dead Space has for a long time, but I do miss the days of high quality pure survival horror games, that aren't also action games on top of it.

With Joel staying no need for a striker anymore. Lad has convinced Wenger not to sell him that's a positive sign. Khedira is done, Wenger giving the no comment pretty much establishes interest there, he's just on holiday. Vermalean's replacement will probably be a younger center-back.

Haha Wenger is so obvious when he wants to sign a player.

As for Vermaelens replacement, I would like us to go get Ogbonna from Juve or Castan from Roma. Castan had a really good season last year and with Roma bringing in Astori could hopefully be got.

I fucking hated Dead Space, everything that is wrong with current horror games right there. TLOU also did more for me on the horror front than RE or Dead Space has for a long time, but I do miss the days of high quality pure survival horror games, that aren't also action games on top of it.

Dead Space had a great atmosphere. Hearing the movements in the vents and the flickering of lights constantly had me on the edge of my seat with my heart pounding wondering where the next monster was coming from. I also thought the monsters were great and often had me in a panic wondering how the fuck I was gonna get out of a situation. It was why I didn't care much for TLOU zombies because if you were clever you could just stealth them.

Scum

REmake + Resident Evil 2 + Silent Hill > *

Barzul

Haha Wenger is so obvious when he wants to sign a player.

As for Vermaelens replacement, I would like us to go get Ogbonna from Juve or Castan from Roma. Castan had a really good season last year and with Roma bringing in Astori could hopefully be got.

Haven't heard of the Castan guy, but Ogbonna seems to be a good shout. He was highly rated before he moved to Juve, would be a good option to have.

Haven't heard of the Castan guy, but Ogbonna seems to be a good shout. He was highly rated before he moved to Juve, would be a good option to have.

Castan played every game for Roma, and was part of the fourth meanest defence in Europe conceading 25 goals( Juve and PSg both had 23 and Bayern had the same with 4 less games). He was nearly every bit as good as Benatia last season, and he deserved a spot next to Thiago Silva for Brazil. He is 27 so he is just entering his prime and I would hope could be got for 10-15 million. Would be a smart move to bring him in and settle into a first year in England and then could replace Mert the season after.

What's the delay... perhaps Arsenal is lowballing on the transfer fee because they know Khedira is leaving Madrid next year.

I expect it to get closed for 20 million, but with some performance related bonuses that could take it up to 25 million.

Barzul

Why the hell is Podolski still off? He barely kicked a ball at the WC.

Castan played every game for Roma, and was part of the fourth meanest defence in Europe conceading 25 goals( Juve and PSg both had 23 and Bayern had the same with 4 less games). He was nearly every bit as good as Benatia last season, and he deserved a spot next to Thiago Silva for Brazil. He is 27 so he is just entering his prime and I would hope could be got for 10-15 million. Would be a smart move to bring him in and settle into a first year in England and then could replace Mert the season after.

Sounds like he could be an astute signing.

Barzul

Bt9QxxdIMAAfieU.png

Banter.

Scum

What's this about the FA trying to revamp the FA Cup in some 2015-2019 review?

What could that bunch of incompetent cunts do?

sohois

What's this about the FA trying to revamp the FA Cup in some 2015-2019 review?

What could that bunch of incompetent cunts do?

It's probably needed at this point, both cups have been so eroded by teams prioritizing the league or CL. It's ok to have the league cup be more of a youth/reserve team cup, it gives it a unique flavour, but the FA Cup needs more prestige than just being another excuse to trot out a joke team.

Barzul

It's probably needed at this point, both cups have been so eroded by teams prioritizing the league or CL. It's ok to have the league cup be more of a youth/reserve team cup, it gives it a unique flavour, but the FA Cup needs more prestige than just being another excuse to trot out a joke team.

How would they do it though? Bigger financial incentive maybe?

There's not really anything they can do about it though besides going full Wolves and fining teams for putting out weakened teams as far as I can work out

Only ways I can think of would be to make teams submit a 20-man squad list at the start (teams wouldn't want to limit their chances by making that the B-team from the off) and as Barzul said, maybe a huge increase in financial reward, and that would have to go for getting to the quarters and beyond, rather than simply winning it.

If you ask me, I'd get rid of the League Cup. Such a pointless competition. The only thing they can do with The FA Cup is give a Champions League spot to the winners to make teams care about it.

Barzul

Way things are going it will be Serie A spot.

Did UEFA stipulate it cant be given out in cup competitions?

Don't know if they have, but it would devalue the CL. Only the best teams should be in it and that can only be determined over the course of a league campaign.

UEFA themselves would block the CL idea I think

They want the best, biggest teams from the various countries in the CL, and you don't have to be all that good to win the FA Cup. Harsh, but true.

Don't know if they have, but it would devalue the CL. Only the best teams should be in it and that can only be determined over the course of a league campaign.

UEFA themselves would block the CL idea I think

They want the best, biggest teams from the various countries in the CL, and you don't have to be all that good to win the FA Cup. Harsh, but true.

I guess you are right. Although UEFA have been devaluing it ever since they started letting non-champions in :p

sohois

The winner of the FA Cup should be allowed to pick a player from any other English club to join them for no fee.

You jest, but that's the kind of radical idea I would be in favour of.

Your specific example wouldn't work, but maybe some kind of draft linked to FA cup position? I would particularly be in favour of something that also linked into attempts to improve the English national team.

Manager

City's CEO has confirmed that City won't buy anyone after the CB. Only way would be to sell a high-valued player anyway.

Dzeko on his way of signing a new contract apparently, Milner says he'll wait until he knows how much he'll play, could be months or even next summer then.

Unwanted players that needs to be sold ATM:
Scott Sinclair
Micah Richards
Javi Garcia (to make room for Mangala, non-HG)

Possibly Rodwell (barely gotten minutes in pre-season), but then a new CM would needed. Garcia will probably be the hardest one to sell, average player and ~£70k salary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom