• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2014/15 |OT1| Wes to make an awesome 2014-2015 OT1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barzul

That Wenger quote is incredibly concieted given all we're doing is buying Southampton's players. Our English core is Wilshere, Gibbs, Walcott, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Jenkinson and Chambers. 6 players, Wilshere I think is ours since he came in so young but all the others are not. We ain't doing shit for English football, all we're doing is buying young talent that other clubs have developed and putting them on the big stage to test if they are good enough.

Beyond that we're not doing a whole lot.
We bought them young. Don't see how this is that different to what Bayern on Barca did. They didn't bring up all their home grown talent.

That Wenger quote is incredibly concieted given all we're doing is buying Southampton's players. Our English core is Wilshere, Gibbs, Walcott, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Jenkinson and Chambers. 6 players, Wilshere I think is ours since he came in so young but all the others are not. We ain't doing shit for English football, all we're doing is buying young talent that other clubs have developed and putting them on the big stage to test if they are good enough.

Beyond that we're not doing a whole lot.

FWIW, Gibbs came at 14 as a middling CM from a defunct football club and had an unimpressive loan at 18. Think we can take credit for him.

Not that you're wrong in terms of what our academy is doing, but obviously Wenger wasn't referring to that. Gotze, Boateng, Neuer, and even Kroos haven't been at Bayern since they were small, but are/were part of the German core at the club. That's what he's referring too.

Wilbur

Banned
Doesn't matter where they came from, really; I like to see English clubs have British players. I'm always proud of the fact that the likes of Rooney, Welbeck, Carrick, Rio, Smalling, Jones, Giggs, Evans, Fletcher etc play for Manchester United.

Liverpool have Gerrard, Flanagan, Johnson, Henderson, Sterling, Sturridge, Allen. Arsenal have the aforementioned.

Even Chelsea, who don't have the best track record, have had Lampard, Terry and Cole in their team for the best part of ten years.

City have Hart who regularly plays, Milner who sometimes plays and Rodwell/Sinclair/Richards/Wright who don't. And Hart's probably being replaced. That annoys me just as much as their petrol riches do.

Doesn't matter where they came from, really; I like to see English clubs have British players. I'm always proud of the fact that the likes of Rooney, Welbeck, Carrick, Rio, Smalling, Jones, Giggs, Evans, Fletcher etc play for Manchester United.

Liverpool have Gerrard, Flanagan, Johnson, Henderson, Sterling, Sturridge, Allen. Arsenal have the aforementioned.

Even Chelsea, who don't have the best track record, have had Lampard, Terry and Cole in their team for the best part of ten years.

City have Hart who regularly plays, Milner who sometimes plays and Rodwell/Sinclair/Richards/Wright who don't. And Hart's probably being replaced. That annoys me just as much as their petrol riches do.

City really do need to buy more English peeps.

Wilbur

Banned
City really do need to buy more English peeps.

And obviously their argument would be that the quality of English players isn't good enough to successfully challenge. They have a point.

But they do talk up their holistic approach an awful lot, so it would be nice to see some British youngsters come through the ranks as opposed to ones just nicked from elsewhere. Even on our tour we've used Keane, Blackett, James, Zaha.

also people like to have a go at Mourinho for his comments about trying to help the FA out and make more English players but his first spell he had Terry, A.Cole, Bridge, Johnson, J.Cole and Lampard! I think he really will try and let some of the youngstars up this time!

Godslay

Banned
Tiger Woods is done.

He looks way too muscular and not smooth at all. Isn't he fighting hip problems as well?

Just got done watching the Arsenal highlights from today. Couldn't find it locally so it is what it is. What I did notice is that Yaya, was in the right place at the right time for most of his goals. Wonderful passing, and exciting offense. It will be nice when I'm able to catch this games without trying to watch on a pop up riddled potato quality stream.

wedward

He looks way too muscular and not smooth at all. Isn't he fighting hip problems as well?

Just got done watching the Arsenal highlights from today. Couldn't find it locally so it is what it is. What I did notice is that Yaya, was in the right place at the right time for most of his goals. Wonderful passing, and exciting offense. It will be nice when I'm able to catch this games without trying to watch on a pop up riddled potato quality stream.

Game was live on ESPN3.

Arnie

This Gone Girl book is fucking brilliant. So hard to put down. Like 2/3 of the way through it now.

Finished that Hispanic book that Pulga suggested. "Chronicle of a death foretold". Was alright. Don't know why it's so highly praised.

Zabojnik

This Gone Girl book is fucking brilliant. So hard to put down. Like 2/3 of the way through it now.

Finished that Hispanic book that Pulga suggested. "Chronicle of a death foretold". Was alright. Don't know why it's so highly praised.

Such an Englishface.

wedward

Dean/Freewheelin' says he has "never been this convinced" that Carvalho is coming to Arsenal.

jtb, your thoughts please.

Haven't watched enough of him to have an opinion. I suppose he has more upside than Big Sami. Rather sign a 22 year old than a 28 year old who just tore his knee up.

Big Willy is a true defensive mid, right?

Trust Wenger to make the right choice.

jtb

Banned

I don't "get" Marquez either. not big on the whole magic realism thing I guess.

not reading Gone Girl before the movie. in Fincher I trust.

slider

Dean/Freewheelin' says he has "never been this convinced" that Carvalho is coming to Arsenal.

jtb, your thoughts please.

Interesting, if true.

This summer has been crazy for Arsenal already. I'm not convinced Sanchez will work as effectively up front as some do. But the search for world class strikers is never easy. Anyway, hoping they have a decent stab at the title.

Barzul

Interesting, if true.

This summer has been crazy for Arsenal already. I'm not convinced Sanchez will work as effectively up front as some do. But the search for world class strikers is never easy. Anyway, hoping they have a decent stab at the title.

Think we'll be fine with just Giroud. Getting goals will not be a problem. We just need to be more defensively solid vs the bigger teams.

Carbonox

Tickled a girl's pink last night. Didn't want her parents to know I was round so I "accidentally" put my peins in her pooper and she yelled out. They knew then.

accidentally
i2jh80atGPQWU.png

jtb

Banned
It was good to see Sanogo score. if he can stay fit, he'll be everything I thought we were getting in Giroud.

Arnie

I don't "get" Marquez either. not big on the whole magic realism thing I guess.

not reading Gone Girl before the movie. in Fincher I trust.
It was fine. But it just didn't really do anything to me. It told me a story but it didn't make me care about it.

I was in two minds. I like Fincher, but I also wholeheartedly believe that a film adaptation will never be as good as the book.

Which is foolish for someone who lists Blade Runner as one of his top three films.

It's really good though, Gone Girl. Part of the success of it is the way it's structured though, so I'm still really excited to see how the films done, just not what the key plot points are.

It's going to be one hell of a thriller.

Go_Ly_Dow

Manchester United @ManUtd · 12m
#mufc vs @RealMadrid: De Gea; M Keane, Jones, Evans; Valencia, Herrera, Fletcher, Young; Mata; Rooney, Welbeck. #mutour

Barzul

Adblock mate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom