• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2014/15 |OT1| Wes to make an awesome 2014-2015 OT1

Status
Not open for further replies.

FootballFan

lol yes! Go retire balo pls.

BuEc5fQCEAAMNML.jpg

What a guy. Looks, talent and personality to be a champ.

Sturridge has flown back to Liverpool with a minor injury according to the lfc twitter feed.

It just gets worse and worse. Next thing you know they will sign Davis to replace him.

sneaky77

Liverpool fans don't play around. I'm relatively new to the sport but shocked they packed a stadium in NC like that.
Yea it was definitely mostly Liverpool shirts in the crowd, announced attendance was 69k. Milan looked terrible, Liverpool didn't look great but didn't have to do much to win

Fry

It just gets worse and worse. Next thing you know they will sign Davis to replace him.

It wasn't bad to begin with.

But Sturridge injured is the worst thing it could happen to us.

And he is injury prone, that's why we need to sign a good Suarez replacement fast. Because he'll be a Sturridge replacement too.

Is it widely thought of that selling Sturridge was a mistake by Chelsea? I remember thinking he looked really promising and seeing some of his goals on this Premier League Countdown show has me thinking Chelsea made a bad mistake by letting him go.

Fry

Is it widely thought of that selling Sturridge was a mistake by Chelsea? I remember thinking he looked really promising and seeing some of his goals on this Premier League Countdown show has me thinking Chelsea made a bad mistake by letting him go.

It was.. until they bought Costa anyway.

Absolutely. Especially considering Liverpool got him for 12mil.

LAM09

It was a mistake selling him as cheap as we did. He had chances at City and Chelsea, but didn't really make an impact. He has thrived at Liverpool as he played in his preferred position, but it will be interesting to see how he performances this season without Suarez.

leadbelly

Banned
It was.. until they bought Costa anyway.

Yeah. And they've got Fabregas now as well. They've got a good striker and someone who can provide the passes for him.

Saying that, all the big teams have bought some good players for this season. Still haven't seen a huge amount of activity with United though. United are looking good, but I feel they haven't got the players to compete for the title. They need a few more big players.

I think Arsenal could finally be a real contender this time around. They led it for a large part of the season last year, but just faded out. They weren't quite strong enough really to beat the big teams. I think they have a chance this year.

jtb

Banned
think of all the managers that have been sacked because Torres didn't perform like a competent striker. no real point in saying "what if" over Sturridge because there's no way any striker other than Torres was going to be given a chance until everyone knew, beyond any doubt whatsoever, that Torres was actually irredeemably shit.

LAM09

think of all the managers that have been sacked because Torres didn't perform like a competent striker. no real point in saying "what if" over Sturridge because there's no way any striker other than Torres was going to be given a chance until everyone knew, beyond any doubt whatsoever, that Torres was actually irredeemably shit.

It is still crazy to think the present Torres is the same player Liverpool bought from A.Madrid. Injuries have taken their toll, but he has become a laughing stock. His career is very similar to Kaka's, the only difference is; Kaka still offers something.

Probity

It is still crazy to think the present Torres is the same player Liverpool bought from A.Madrid. Injuries have taken their toll, but he has become a laughing stock. His career is very similar to Kaka's, the only difference is; Kaka still offers something.

Ehh. Torres doesn't get enough credit for the effort he puts into the club. He may have lost all that made him great, and might have a lot of sad moments, but he has a work rate unlike many. He pushes himself pretty hard to help in any way he possibly can for the team, knowing he can't be the difference maker scoring goals all the time. Not only that, but he is a really great team player, it is one of the things he is known for. He is really nice and helpful and supportive when he can be.

I feel really bad for the guy, he used to be one of the best in the world. Agh. Such a depressing story, but at least he has been a part of a lot of big wins like Euros, WC, and CL. He has a good haul despite injuries diminishing him so much.

Salazar

I didn't see the game last night how were we against Madrid?

Pretty fucking good.

Carvajal still needs a punt in the face, like the rest of the Madrid thugs.

Fletcher was good. Mata was wonderful. Young played like a decent footballer. Carrick, RVP, and Januzaj coming in will be boss if we can keep this shape going and slot in some new defensive brains and a fuck-off CM.

Jarnet87

Amazing how every player for United this preseason is feeling the LVG effect, except for Tom Cleverly. He truly is an awful player.

Pretty fucking good.

Carvajal still needs a punt in the face, like the rest of the Madrid thugs.

Fletcher was good. Mata was wonderful. Young played like a decent footballer. Carrick, RVP, and Januzaj coming in will be boss if we can keep this shape going and slot in some new defensive brains and a fuck-off CM.

That sounds good then.

Come on LVG splash the cash.

Amazing how every player for United this preseason is feeling the LVG effect, except for Tom Cleverly. He truly is an awful player.

Sell Clev to Wes Brown.

tri_willy

nice win liverpool... sturry whyyyyy. hopefully this makes brendan go after someone who is a... top top player

damn united, lvg sure has transformed them

Tubie

Grats Sevilla on the Supercup.

Casillas to be the keeper for the Super Cup.

How the fuck is this fraud still relevant? How can nobody at club level see how terrible he's become since 2012. This year is going to be horrible, we will lose to some Serie A team in the CL and end up 4th in La Liga.

2004 all over again.

Lightning

Banned
I feel really sorry for Casillas. He is a top keeper but is clearly having confidence issues and it's showing in his performances. But he is class, once the confidence returns, so will the good performances. If Madrid bothered to buy stellar defenders instead of Bale and James that they don't even need things would be easier but no. All the 'name' signings that madrid love so much are offensive players.

Tubie

I feel really sorry for Casillas. He is a top keeper but is clearly having confidence issues and it's showing in his performances. But he is class, once the confidence returns, so will the good performances. If Madrid bothered to buy stellar defenders instead of Bale and James that they don't even need things would be easier but no. All the 'name' signings that madrid love so much are offensive players.

The thing is, we have a pretty good squad and bench, the problem is politics.

Lopez might not be one of the world's best but he is good. I wish I could write that same sentence for Casillas.

Arbeloa has been horrible for 2+ seasons and last night it showed. All 3 goals from ManU came from his side, he made Young look good.

Another problem we will have is Alonso. He's smart, and uses that to position himself on the field in a way to compensate for his lack of speed/pace. This won't be enough soon, and it showed in the World Cup.

Go_Ly_Dow

Sell clev, and have Herrera, Fletch, Vidal and Carrick as our mid 4.

Hope we hang on to Kagawa and Hernandez too.

Less torn on Young now and would have been nice if LvG could have a similar effect on Nani, although he seems decided on that now given the lack of opportunities preseason.

Lightning

Banned
The thing is, we have a pretty good squad and bench, the problem is politics.

Lopez might not be one of the world's best but he is good. I wish I could write that same sentence for Casillas.

Arbeloa has been horrible for 2+ seasons and last night it showed. All 3 goals from ManU came from his side, he made Young look good.

Another problem we will have is Alonso. He's smart, and uses that to position himself in the field in a way to compensate for his lack of speed/pace. This won't be enough soon, and it showed in the World Cup.
Casillas is a very good goal keeper. He is in terrible form and is suffering confidence issues as a result. He is hesitant in his decision making often leaving him in no mans land but he is a quality goal keeper.

What I mean about Madrid transfers is you look at them:

Kroos
Bale
James
Isco
Modric

These are all offtensive players. You have neglected the defense almost entirely as defenders don't generate the same media hype and excitement but are just as important when it comes to winning football matches. Atletico showed that last season with their amazingly good defense.

Casillas is a very good goal keeper. He is in terrible form and is suffering confidence issues as a result. He is hesitant in his decision making often leaving him in no mans land but he is a quality goal keeper.

Kroos
Bale
James
Isco
Modric

These are all offtensive players. You have neglected the defense almost entirely as defenders don't generate the same media hype and excitement but are just as important when it comes to winning football matches. Atletico showed that last season with their amazingly good defense.

I am starting to think that defending doesn't matter in the CL. United were the last team with a great back 5 that won the thing. I find it amazing that players like Ramos,Dante, Pique, and Pepe have CL winners medals. None of them would even crack the top 20 defenders of the 90s.

Just score a ton of goals and you will win.

Tubie

Kroos
Bale
James
Isco
Modric

You forgot Illara in there who was signed as Alonso's replacement as a deep midfielder for (30+10m euros).

How much do you think we could sell Varane for? or Pepe or Ramos or Carvajal or Marcelo or Coentrao? Our defensive line is good and has been for a while, the problems lie elsewhere. So it makes sense to spend money on players that can create.

(Btw, I don't consider Modric as an attack focused player. He's like an unicorn that can play just as well as a CAM than as a DM.)

Lightning

Banned
You forgot Illara in there who was signed as Alonso's replacement as a deep midfielder for (30+10m euros).

How much do you think we could sell Varane for? or Pepe or Ramos or Carvajal or Marcelo or Coentrao? Our defensive line is good and has been for a while, the problems lie elsewhere. So it makes sense to spend money on players that can create.

(Btw, I don't consider Modric as an attack focused player. He's like an unicorn that can play just as well as a CAM than as a DM.)
They would sell for a lot but they are not that good players. Varane is steady but has mistakes in him. Pepe and Marcelo are hot or cold but quite inconsistent. Coentrao is constantly rumored to be on the move but never happens. How many reds has Ramos managed to rack up again? Modric is about as effective a DM as Ramsey, both can do it but not very well and curbs the players best talents.

That defense could use improvement and those average players replaced.

I didn't ignore Illara it's just he hardly ever plays. Instead of James Madrid should have brought Pogba. Go get a Hummels? That's the sort of player Madrid need, Replacing Di Maria with James does very little for Madrid.

Tubie

They would sell for a lot but they are not that good players. Varane is steady but has mistakes in him. Pepe and Marcelo are hot or cold but quite inconsistent. Coentrao is constantly rumored to be on the move but never happens. How many reds has Ramos managed to rack up again? Modric is about as effective a DM as Ramsey, both can do it but not very well and curbs the players best talents.

That defense could use improvement and those average players replaced.

I didn't ignore Illara it's just he hardly ever plays. Instead of James Madrid should have brought Pogba. Go get a Hummels? That's the sort of player Madrid need, Replacing Di Maria with James does very little for Madrid.

The problem is there are no good defenders available. Why do you think David Luiz went for 50m. Hummels would've been impossible. Barca bought a LB to plays as CB for 20m and that guy was never good in either position. That's the state of the market right now.

Late Edit: Honestly I hope we keep di Maria and Khedira. A diMaria/Kroos/Khedira/Modric midfield is fucking scary.

The problem is there are no good defenders available. Why do you think David Luiz went for 50m. Hummels would've been impossible. Barca bought a LB to plays as CB for 20m and that guy was never good in either position. That's the state of the market right now.

Seeing as RM spent so much on James
and you know they had no intention of buying him before the world cup.
, why not spend the 50-60 million on Benatia or Silva?

FootballFan

I'd rather have Torres than kaka.

Tubie

Seeing as RM spent so much on James
and you know they had no intention of buying him before the world cup.
, why not spend the 50-60 million on Benatia or Silva?

I know James was all marketing so my expectations on him are low. But Silva, really? is he better than Pepe/Varane/Ramos?

I'd rather have Torres than kaka.

Kaka had a decent season in Serie A. If he stays healthy he still has 4-5 years playing well, because he cant reinvent himself. Torres is just dead.

I know James was all marketing so my expectations on him are low. But Silva, really? is he better than Pepe/Varane/Ramos?

Yes he really is imo. Plus talk about marketing, he is the captain of Brazil. he would sell a boat load of shirts

FootballFan

I am starting to think that defending doesn't matter in the CL. United were the last team with a great back 5 that won the thing. I find it amazing that players like Ramos,Dante, Pique, and Pepe have CL winners medals. None of them would even crack the top 20 defenders of the 90s.

Just score a ton of goals and you will win.

Pique in 2009 wasn't pique now, he was actually quite good next to Puyol. Ever since Shakira started using her butt to hypnotise him, he became shit.

Lightning

Banned

Late Edit: Honestly I hope we keep di Maria and Khedira. A diMaria/Kroos/Khedira/Modric midfield is fucking scary.
David Luiz went for 50m because PSG were involved. Barca show their incompetence too, they done a "Madrid" with that stupid Suarez signing. Losing Sanchez in the process. That's not the market, that's Barca themselves.

Most defenders are available for the right price and with the prices Barca and Madrid pay they are well within range but the priority always seems to be the statement signing. No idea why those clubs need to do that, you don't see Bayern doing that.

Tubie

David Luiz went for 50m because PSG were involved. Barca show their incompetence too, they done a "Madrid" with that stupid Suarez signing. Losing Sanchez in the process. That's not the market, that's Barca themselves.

Most defenders are available for the right price and with the prices Barca and Madrid pay they are well within range but the priority always seems to be the statement signing. No idea why those clubs need to do that, you don't see Bayern doing that.

Who would replace Carvajal? CBs are impossible, you can't buy hummels, he has no price. LB we have 2 of the best.

The biggest defensive signing we could do right now is to extend big sami's contract.

Bayern and to a certain extent United are more concerned about being the best club on the field. Barca and RM are just in their own little world where if they keep telling people they are the biggest club in the world then everyone will believe them. The arms race between the two ensures that neutrals and casuals will follow them because of the big names they buy.

Walshy

Torres was the complete striker.

He had everything to play up front on his own: pace, strength, finishing and the technique.

I think people forget sometimes how good he was.

Madrid's defense is good enough. The CBs and LBs are good. The only position they could use an upgrade for is RB but who could they sign that would improve them significantly?

They are not getting Lahm, Azpilicueta or Juanfran, Piszczek already said no 2 years ago and there's just not the quality in the market.

Madrid's defense is good enough. The CBs and LBs are good. The only position they could use an upgrade for is RB but who could they sign that would improve them significantly?

They are not getting Lahm, Azpilicueta or Juanfran, Piszczek already said no 2 years ago and there's just not the quality in the market.

I want them to save De Sciglio from Milan. He prefers the left, but can play the right and is only 21/22.

Manager

just saw the Micah Richards penalty XD

It seems like no one will take him and I don't blame them. He hasn't been Premier League quality during the last two years. Specially his decision-making is shocking now, he doesn't know where and when to run at all. He's always been poor position-wise but now he's shockingly bad, Pellegrini has gone mad at him many times this pre-season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom