• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2014/15 |OT1| Wes to make an awesome 2014-2015 OT1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lightning

Banned
He will show some improvement over the course of the season then Levy will fire him as soon as the team has a dodgy run for a couple of months.

The Spurs cycle.
He'll be lucky to survive the season.

Everton. Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool, United, City all going to prove extremely hard for Spurs. If Spurs finish 7th Pochettino will get sacked for almost certain.

sohois

He'll be lucky to survive the season.

Everton. Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool, United, City all going to prove extremely hard for Spurs. If Spurs finish 7th Pochettino will get sacked for almost certain.

Even with all their turmoil from last season Spurs finished 5th, ahead of Everton and Utd. What makes you think they would slip down this season, given they now have a manager far superior to Tactics Tim and have done reasonable transfer business? Everton haven't done badly either, but there only new addition is that Besic guy, so it's a big leap for them to move ahead.

United? Well they have the new manager, but I think people assuming they will be competing for the CL spots are also assuming their transfer business is far from over. Can't imagine too many people will expect them to surge forward if they can't make any more transfers.

United had already agreed the Ronaldo deal before we even played against Sporting, according to Fergie.

He is a serial bullshitter so he could be lying...but he said the deal was done before that game.

inky

Hold on, United were definitely after Ronaldo before that friendly. The recommendations of the players just pushed that through.

I've not always been pleased by our scouting, the inability to find a cm for years has been shocking. But we have managed to find a good uns.

I'm sure they were. It was mostly a tongue in cheek comment, but I think there could be a case of other things getting the way scouting. I think Pogba and Bebe are both examples of those failures. It might come down to bad decisions instead of lack of scouting ability.

And with a club as big as United, perception is always going to be a thing as well. Class of '92 pretty much guarantees that every youngster should, and will ultimately fail to live up to those standards. It's going to take a while with the ongoing change at the club, but if there is anyone you can trust to help identify and bring about some future stars, LVG is THE one.

K1LLER7

United had already agreed the Ronaldo deal before we even played against Sporting, according to Fergie.

He is a serial bullshitter so he could be lying...but he said the deal was done before that game.
I thought Giggs had a word with Fergie.

Rooney told Paddy about a player we'll be signing. Wonder who it'll be.

DBT85

I'm sure they were. It was mostly a tongue in cheek comment, but I think there could be a case of other things getting the way scouting. I think Pogba and Bebe are both examples of those failures. It might come down to bad decisions instead of lack of scouting ability.

And with a club as big as United, perception is always going to be a thing as well. Class of '92 pretty much guarantees that every youngster should, and will ultimately fail to live up to those standards. It's going to take a while with the ongoing change at the club, but if there is anyone you can trust to identify some future stars, LVG is THE one.

I'd be very interested to know everything about the Pogba case. Everyone knew he had talent so I do wonder if Frogie just didn't like his attitude or thought his demands of playing int he first team were a bit much. Clearly, not giving him what he wanted was a mistake at this stage.

Lightning

Banned
Even with all their turmoil from last season Spurs finished 5th, ahead of Everton and Utd. What makes you think they would slip down this season, given they now have a manager far superior to Tactics Tim and have done reasonable transfer business? Everton haven't done badly either, but there only new addition is that Besic guy, so it's a big leap for them to move ahead.

United? Well they have the new manager, but I think people assuming they will be competing for the CL spots are also assuming their transfer business is far from over. Can't imagine too many people will expect them to surge forward if they can't make any more transfers.
United are going to mop over Spurs even with their current team. No Europe and LvG will boost them no end. I have absolute zero doubt United will make top 4 this season.

Tottenham are bang average. That's why, their team is average, no standout players, just an average team. I also rate Martinez over Pochettino.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris

When i heard that it felt like one of those teases that in 6 months Crerand will say "well i thought he mentioned someone, but it didnt pan out"

EmiPrime

Whether Spurs finish 5th, 6th or 7th (7th being arguably preferable) is moot really, they're not going to get into those CL spots. Whatever improvements they have made the clubs ahead of them have improved more.

And with a club as big as United, perception is always going to be a thing as well. Class of '92 pretty much guarantees that every youngster should, and will ultimately fail to live up to those standards. It's going to take a while with the ongoing change at the club, but if there is anyone you can trust to help identify and bring about some future stars, LVG is THE one.
United's scouting system under Fergie was very aged. There was no system at all really. It was just people Fergie trusted being sent to watch players - and cases of United being very contrary because that's just "how we do things".

Ferguson did, on the whole, build several great teams though so it worked for him.

Paddy don't know shit.

I'd be very interested to know everything about the Pogba case. Everyone knew he had talent so I do wonder if Frogie just didn't like his attitude or thought his demands of playing int he first team were a bit much. Clearly, not giving him what he wanted was a mistake at this stage.

There's no mystery. Ferguson knew he was a great talent. He wanted Pogba to stay bang in line and he didn't. There was no way he was going to make it seem like he was ceding to a reserve player. Even despite that they wanted to keep him but Pogba wasn't interested.

sohois

Whether Spurs finish 5th, 6th or 7th (7th being arguably preferable) is moot really, they're not going to get into those CL spots. Whatever improvements they have made the clubs ahead of them have improved more.

Not really arguing about their top 4 chances, but Lightning suggested they would fall to 7th because of competition. Yet as I noted, there is nothing to suggest that Everton or United have improved enough to suddenly overhaul them.

Clegg

United's scouting system under Fergie was very aged. There was no system at all really. It was just people Fergie trusted being sent to watch players - and cases of United being very contrary because that's just "how we do things".

Ferguson did, on the whole, build several great teams though so it worked for him.
One of the very few things Moyes did right was attempt to implement a proper scouting policy at United. Its also something I hope LvG works on while he's here. We're operating in the dark ages compared to other world class clubs.

Lightning

Banned
Not really arguing about their top 4 chances, but Lightning suggested they would fall to 7th because of competition. Yet as I noted, there is nothing to suggest that Everton or United have improved enough to suddenly overhaul them.
Are you kidding? United already have a better squad than Spurs, did last season too. No Moyes, no Europe, added Shaw and Herrera along with Mata and LvG.

You can't be serious...

I don't believe anything Paddy says about these things where he is seemingly ITK

I mean, we know how the Fergie resignation thing went...

I am so glad we have Mata

vdQYh0I.gif

EmiPrime

I disagree, I think United are already a better squad than Spurs by some margin, they're just one star signing away from being a CL spot contender. Everton and Spurs are fairly even though.

kharma45

Are you kidding? United already have a better squad than Spurs, did last season too. No Moyes, no Europe, added Shaw and Herrera along with Mata and LvG.

You can't be serious...

Plus I don't see RVP being as injury prone this year without Moyes' archaic training methods.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
The Mail (I know) said RvP wont start the season, makes me wonder how we will fit him in if we do well, i mean who would change a winning team?

sohois

You can't be serious...

How can you be serious. Tottenham finished above United last season. There's a very simple way to determine the strength of a squad, and that is by competition. According to that competition, United's squad is weaker than Tottenham. Simple as that.

Since then, United have changed manager and bought in 2 players. Tottenham have changed manager and bought in 3 players. This is reductionist to be sure, but I just can't see how you can argue that United's changes thus far are sufficient to overhaul Tottenham.

I will make one concession: I misremembered and thought that Tottenham finished 5th, above Everton, which was clearly not the case. So I will accept that Tottenham are likely to finish below Everton this coming season.

kharma45

How can you be serious. Tottenham finished above United last season. There's a very simple way to determine the strength of a squad, and that is by competition. According to that competition, United's squad is weaker than Tottenham. Simple as that.

Since then, United have changed manager and bought in 2 players. Tottenham have changed manager and bought in 3 players. This is reductionist to be sure, but I just can't see how you can argue that United's changes thus far are sufficient to overhaul Tottenham.

I will make one concession: I misremembered and thought that Tottenham finished 5th, above Everton, which was clearly not the case. So I will accept that Tottenham are likely to finish below Everton this coming season.

This football lark is simple isn't it?

The Mail (I know) said RvP wont start the season, makes me wonder how we will fit him in if we do well, i mean who would change a winning team?

You play your best players. He's one of ours, and if he's fit (and in form) he'll start. Likely we Welbeck's expense.

Barzul

That's not how football works. Some changes are more impactful than others.

Mr Cola

This football lark is simple isn't it?

You play your best players. He's one of ours, and if he's fit (and in form) he'll start. Likely we Welbeck's expense.

No Wellbeck means we have no pace in behind, teams can very easily shut up shop against us like last season and force us to cross to win. RvP is better than Wellbeck, but Wellbeck and Valencia are the only players we have with genuine pace.

Ugh i can see the bus parkings now

sohois

That's not how football works. Some changes are more impactful than others.

I'm aware, hence it being a reductionist argument. Merely wanted to illustrate the point, neither team has drastically overhauled the squad.

But people tend to overestimate changes and their impact. Season-to-Season, things tend to be fairly static, teams don't really move up and down that much. There are exceptions, last season being a potent example with the surge of Liverpool and the collapse of United, but generally it's safest to assume a team won't change much - Tottenham being a good example of this, despite 8 signings and 2 managers, they ended up changing 1 position and 3 points.

Baki

LVG is far superior to MoPo. United will mop the floor with Tottenham and probably Liverpool too.

They were quotes from LvG saying he won't start the season though weren't they? Makes sense, he is only coming back to training tomorrow and the season is 2 weeks away. The others are almost a month ahead of him.

kharma45

He's 31 this month, so no spring chicken.

The lack of European fixtures will benefit him, but I can't see his spotless 2 season injury record recurring.

He's got another season, maybe two left in him as a starter for us I feel. He's never had blistering pace so losing that isn't an issue with his age.

I'm optimistic about him under LVG for his fitness. They know each other well and I can't see him (I'm trying to think how to articulate this best) pushing Robin hard physically when it's not needed. It'll be a matter of looking after him to an extent.

No Wellbeck means we have no pace in behind, teams can very easily shut up shop against us like last season and force us to cross to win. RvP is better than Wellbeck, but Wellbeck and Valencia are the only players we have with genuine pace.

Ugh i can see the bus parkings now

Young is fairly quick when he's got some confidence about him to run at people. He'd easily be as quick as Valencia.

Teams shut up shop against us last year because of our limited tactics, not lack of pace.

Lightning

Banned
I'm aware, hence it being a reductionist argument. Merely wanted to illustrate the point, neither team has drastically overhauled the squad.

But people tend to overestimate changes and their impact. Season-to-Season, things tend to be fairly static, teams don't really move up and down that much. There are exceptions, last season being a potent example with the surge of Liverpool and the collapse of United, but generally it's safest to assume a team won't change much - Tottenham being a good example of this, despite 8 signings and 2 managers, they ended up changing 1 position and 3 points.
Excepting United's surge back up is common sense and as a Liverpool fan you should be weary of it as it could see Liverpool drop out of the top 4 just the same for Arsenal.

Spurs simply do not offer this threat.

Tottenham finished 6th. Behind Everton and 10 points off the CL places.

Seems to me like you guys are debating two different things.

What is the safest thing to assume against...just what people are assuming.

K1LLER7

Our wingers/Wing-Backs have been key this pre-season. Like (vs) Madrid, they had a lot of space down the lines. Young did well, while Valencia was a bit lacking going forward (imo).

Think Januzaj could do well in a front 2. Less so at Wing-Back.

sohois

Sometimes you need to let emotion overcome statistical analysis, sohois.

Arsenal are going to win the league.

This is different from statistical analysis.

This is basic mathematics. Prediction. (well technically they both end up as Bayes, but no matter)

Teams don't change much, season-to-season. There are some big leaps, but they are rare. You'd need a lot of supporting evidence to justify why it will occur in this case. (and a lot means a shit ton, LvG is not a lot)

Yen

You know, I'm very into my porridge these days. Where has it been all my life?I recommend elsk buys some. Oats, milk, 3.5 minutes in the microwave, bam - there's your breakfast, lunch, dinner.
This post was brought to you by the Porridge Marketing Board.

kharma45

You know, I'm very into my porridge these days. Where has it been all my life?I recommend elsk buys some. Oats, milk, 3.5 minutes in the microwave, bam - there's your breakfast, lunch, dinner.

Add some honey and whiskey and it's top stuff.

K1LLER7

Started eating oats yesterday :lol

Yen

Add some honey and whiskey and it's top stuff.
I'm a sugar man, maybe pop a bit of jam in. But tonight I put in maple syrup. Lot of sugar now though.
I wouldn't put in whiskey because I don't have a drinking problem. Please, Kharma, get help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom