• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2014/15 |OT1| Wes to make an awesome 2014-2015 OT1

Status
Not open for further replies.

kharma45

I wish I wasn't stuck in the office for my project. Friend of mine just messaged me to rub in what his rental car is this week. Some Audi last time round, E350 coupe this time.

manual4

Banned
Keylor Navas as he arrives in Madrid
BuMXxC8CUAAOhCT.jpg

TeddyBoy

He has definitely prioritised defensive signings. Reserve keeper, left back and 2 CBs. Now we can focus on abducting Schneiderlin and Rodriguez, I wouldn't be surprised if Chadli, Naughton, Dawson etc are offered as make-weights.

Who would you expect your standard back four to be this year? (Feel free to post your starting eleven if you want, I really don't know what formation to expect this year from you guys and which players will be starting any position).

I've decided to put Davies into my starting 11 for fantasy football and just want to make sure he's going to get some points :)

Lightning critically under rates you guys, you had a bad season last year but still finished decently even with AVB and tactics tim. This year with MoPo should be a good year for you guys.

Please let us beat you this year, our opening fixtures are hard :(

We only own 60% of Carvalho, we are not going to sell him for a low price. Slimani might get sold, apparently Leicester has made a bid of 8M€ which would be a decent deal for us since we paid 500.000€ for him last year.

Slizz

Well I'm ready for tonight..... The only problem about this game is its start time and it being a weekday. Rush hour is going to be hell.

Barzul

Amy Lewis @SkySportsAmy · 17m
UEFA say there's 'no (FFP) issue' with Man City bringing Lampard in on-loan from New York City FC - follows on from Wenger's comments

Amy Lewis @SkySportsAmy · 12m
There could be an issue if City weren't paying Lampard's wages and letting NYC FC foot the bill but City insist that's not the case

Wenger should focus more on his own club instead of tin foil hat theories.

He was asked a direct question and gave an answer. What the heck is he supposed to say. Any rational person would jump to the conclusion that Lampard's signing was somehow related to FFP and homegrown restrictions for CL.

Jarnet87

Well I'm ready for tonight..... The only problem about this game is its start time and it being a weekday. Rush hour is going to be hell.

Yep. Where you driving from? I'd have to leave from Kendall at 5 lol, absolute nightmare getting to Miami Gardens, and if there is an accident then good night.

Barzul

We only own 60% of Carvalho, we are not going to sell him for a low price. Slimani might get sold, apparently Leicester has made a bid of 8M€ which would be a decent deal for us since we paid 500.000€ for him last year.

Aren't you guys skint though? And I hear the bank that owns the other 40% had to get bailed out by the Portuguese government to the tune of 5 billion euros or something and are trying to recoup as much money as they can. It might or might not be correlated to how much you end up getting for him though. I think it comes down to negotiating a fee that Sporting are happy with for their 60%. I got most of my info from this link http://www.101greatgoals.com/blog/w...ing-midfielder-william-carvalho-on-the-cheap/

Slizz

Yep. Where you driving from? I'd have to leave from Kendall at 5 lol, absolute nightmare getting to Miami Gardens, and if there is an accident then good night.

Gonna be leaving around 430 from the Grove area. Will take at least an hour in all the traffic, but if I wait any later it'll just be gridlocked.

Aren't you guys skint though? And I hear the bank that owns the other 40% had to get bailed out by the Portuguese government to the tune of 5 billion euros or something and are trying to recoup as much money as they can. It might or might not be correlated to how much you end up getting for him though? I think it comes down to negotiating a fee that Sporting are happy with for their 60%.

I really can´t see us selling him for less than 35, 40M€. We had profit last year, we´ve gone through strict financial changes, cutting the budget by 50% and the wage bill for almost 60%. Things aren´t as bad as 2 years ago, Benfica is the one who´s going through some dark times at the moment. They were more connected with that bank than we.

NHale

I really can´t see us selling him for less than 35, 40M€. We had profit last year, we´ve gone through strict financial changes, cutting the budget by 50% and the wage bill for almost 60%. Things aren´t as bad as 2 years ago, Benfica is the one who´s going through some dark times at the moment. They were more connected with that bank than we.

And considering Bruno de Carvalho is just a mini Pinto da Costa in the making, I'm sure he will not budge and stick with demanding the other teams pay what they want. Unless of course Godinho Lopes signed an agreement that Sporting has to sell William for 2 bags of chips and a cup of Nutella if someone appears in Alvalade with one shoe in the top of his head.

William Carvalho will cost at least 30M like it or not. If you don't want to pay it so be it. If you want to find good players for bargain prices go look in other place because only Benfica is having a fire sale. FC Porto continues on their annual rip-off crusade by selling the erratic Mangala for 32.5M....

Manager

Seems like Rodwell to Sunderland is happening:
Pete O'Rourke @SkySportsPeteO · 17m
Sunderland are in talks with Manchester City midfielder Jack Rodwell with player on Wearside now. #SAFC #MCFC

Welcome Sagna:

He was asked a direct question about City & Lampard in the press conference.

He was asked a direct question and gave an answer. What the heck is he supposed to say. Any rational person would jump to the conclusion that Lampard's signing was somehow related to FFP and homegrown restrictions for CL.

Both MLS and the Australian league have a different ownership style compared to European football. They would never agreed, specially MLS, to let their franchises become a City feeder club with the MLS club paying all their wages. They also have a very strict amount of players that can be on loan and have higher wages ("designated players" in MLS). Plus, the Australian club can't loan anymore players since they've used their quota and obviously New York City can't use Lampard since the season hasn't started.

So, you can always say "No comments" on a direct question when you don't know anything about the subject (which he himself said, ""I don't know the rules well enough", but then kept on talking). And, as previously said, the real police (UEFA) had already been notified by City.

lol

So impressed that he almost cared.

He has a very strict 22 player squad policy, would mean that someone else would be sold.

Barzul

And considering Bruno de Carvalho is just a mini Pinto da Costa in the making, I'm sure he will not budge and stick with demanding the other teams pay what they want. Unless of course Godinho Lopes signed an agreement that Sporting has to sell William for 2 bags of chips and a cup of Nutella if someone appears in Alvalade with one shoe in the top of his head.

William Carvalho will cost at least 30M like it or not. If you don't want to pay it so be it. If you want to find good players for bargain prices go look in other place because only Benfica is having a fire sale. FC Porto continues on their annual rip-off crusade by selling the erratic Mangala for 32.5M....

30m euros? I think we'd pay that. Might even stretch to 35.

Doesn't Sporting owe like € 375 million from stadium debt?

NHale

I wonder how long it will be before Jackson Martinez is sold?

He just signed a new deal this weekend for 1 more year but his buy out clause was lowered to 35M instead of 40M, so the sale is coming in the next 12 months.

Fernando also resigned this January with the promise that he would be sold for a low price.

If anyone gives 35M for Jackson Martinez they should rethink their scouting practices. He's good for a team like Porto but he's not a world class striker.

LAM09

He just signed a new deal this weekend for 1 more year but his buy out clause was lowered to 35M instead of 40M, so the sale is coming in the next 12 months.

Fernando also resigned this January with the promise that he would be sold for a low price.

If anyone gives 35M for Jackson Martinez they should rethink their scouting practices. He's good for a team like Porto but he's not a world class striker.

Ok. I think Monaco might go for him if they sell Falcao. He is a decent CF, but not as good as some people make out.

manual4

Banned
Real Madrid C.F.
OFFICIAL: Real Madrid C. F. & Levante U. D. reach an agreement for the transfer of Jesús Fernández.

is lopez staying? lopez was told he would be third choice, but we just got rid of our former third choice

NHale

Doesn't Sporting owe like € 375 million from stadium debt?

The stadium didn't cost that much. The problem was the other investments, buying players, paying agents, staff paid to do nothing that were paid with money loaned by banks especially by the bank that had to be saved yesterday.

It will take some months but truth will come out about the loans from the 3 major Portuguese clubs and they will have to repay all the money loaned sooner or later or they will have take all their assets and sell them at the lowest price which includes players and infraestructure. The Portuguese football (like a lot of other things connected with that bank) is very near to a collapse.

Ok. I think Monaco might go for him if they sell Falcao. He is a decent CF, but not as good as some people make out.

As a Porto fan I would gladly sell him for 35M. Unfortunately in this miserable Lopetegui era we would probably sign some shitty Spanish striker that was a sub for Racing Santander. When Lopetegui is fired in November there will be so many Spanish players unhappy in that locker room...

LAM09

As a Porto fan I would gladly sell him for 35M. Unfortunately in this miserable Lopetegui era we would probably sign some shitty Spanish striker that was a sub for Racing Santander. When Lopetegui is fired in November there will be so many Spanish players unhappy in that locker room...

No doubt. You guys have bought quite a few players from Spain this summer, but you have bought well IMO. I personally like Ghilas, but not sure he would be able to fill the void of JM.

NHale

No doubt. You guys have bought quite a few players from Spain this summer, but you have bought well IMO. I personally like Ghilas, but not sure he would be able to fill the void of JM.

Apparently he's going to be sold/loaned as well. He's not Spanish so he has no place in Lopetegui's team.

Meier

Yeah! Schürrle, Oscar, Ramires and Willian are all back today! so Fridays game will be the first one with everyone available.

I think most clubs want the guys to train for a week or two before they're actually available. You would think that the Germany and Argentina players won't play for any club until the first week of the season.

£10m for rodwell?

Off our tits we are, this summer.

That's a pretty fair price. He's still quite young and has shown flashes of brilliance here and there. I'm amazed one of the newly promoted clubs isn't knocking down the door for him -- you'd think they'd want to replicate what Hull did (sturdying up the center of the park by bringing in Livermore and Huddlestone). I still think there's a very good player in there if he can somehow figure out how to stay fit. We should throw in Richards for free if someone signs Rodwell.

No one but a deluded person would think it had anything to do with FFP. The benefit to signing him now is that NYCFC can spend the next 7 months advertising him as one of their DPs -- they're trying to drive season ticket sales. You don't have a news story if he signs for Man City and they say oh he'll then transfer to NYCFC in 5 months, we promise!

For the record, his salary will probably be $4-5m per year which equates to about £57k a week on the high end. Even if Man City weren't actually paying his wages, that's a drop in the bucket. Wenger needs to quit worrying about other clubs and start worrying about the fact Arsenal have been a laughing stock for nearly a decade. That should be the only thing he ever worries about publicly. If he was asked about Lampard and City, he should have said something like, "It will be strange to see Lampard playing in another shirt but it will only be for a short period before he moves to America." Short and sweet.

Hixx

Rodwell will be a great signing until his leg falls off in September.

£10m for Rodwell is just completely ridiculous. Crazy money

Mugs like Snodgrass are going for £8m. If you want players with PL experience but you aren't in the top 4 you are going to get ripped off. It's the price you pay. Which is why Lallana was £25m instead of the £12-15m he is worth.

IVE JUST DESTROYED MY OWN LOGIC HERE

Liverpool are in the top four and still got ripped off

FUCK

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Who would you expect your standard back four to be this year? (Feel free to post your starting eleven if you want, I really don't know what formation to expect this year from you guys and which players will be starting any position).

With Musacchio about to join I would think this is our 'ideal' first XI:

Lloris
Walker Musacchio (Dawson) Vertonghen (Kaboul) Davies
Scheniderlin (Capoue) Bentaleb
Lennon Lamela Eriksen
Adebayor

Due to transfers not yet being done/World Cup rustiness I expect the players in brackets will start the first game against West Ham.

Salvadora

INo one but a deluded person would think it had anything to do with FFP. The benefit to signing him now is that NYCFC can spend the next 7 months advertising him as one of their DPs -- they're trying to drive season ticket sales. You don't have a news story if he signs for Man City and they say oh he'll then transfer to NYCFC in 5 months, we promise!

For the record, his salary will probably be $4-5m per year which equates to about £57k a week on the high end. Even if Man City weren't actually paying his wages, that's a drop in the bucket. Wenger needs to quit worrying about other clubs and start worrying about the fact Arsenal have been a laughing stock for nearly a decade. That should be the only thing he ever worries about publicly. If he was asked about Lampard and City, he should have said something like, "It will be strange to see Lampard playing in another shirt but it will only be for a short period before he moves to America." Short and sweet.
Meier, you're having a mare.

City have already threatened the integrity of FFP by signing a very questionable financial deal with one of the relatives of the owner, and it would be right to question their intentions with the current "project." I'm honestly surprised the City fans here are getting so up in arms about an inoffensive comment.

He didn't even say anything definitively, anyway.

I think most clubs want the guys to train for a week or two before they're actually available. You would think that the Germany and Argentina players won't play for any club until the first week of the season.
Rojo has already been training with the team for a week now and even played on Friday against Lazio.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom