• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2014/15 |OT1| Wes to make an awesome 2014-2015 OT1

Status
Not open for further replies.

GorillaJu

Loco Moco is sooo good

3402834162_f8fe2e1056.jpg

jtb

Banned
Upgrading a bench player for a guy like Griezmann would make sense if we were City or Chelsea; but we've still got holes to fill. Need a CB; maybe 2 if Verm leaves. A GK. A DM.

GK is basically done. Vermaelen won't leave, so Wenger won't buy a CB. DM is a total mystery at this point, but it does need to be priority number one (as it has been for the past decade)

but after that? I want Griezmann. Podolski is hopeless. Cazorla had a poor season, I like him but, like Rosicky, he's not suited to be anything other than a squad player. the league is fast paced and physical and Cazorla lacks pace and especially physical presence. not the type of player to be first choice in a team capable of going toe to toe with the best teams in the league.

omgkitty

GK is basically done. Vermaelen won't leave, so Wenger won't buy a CB. DM is a total mystery at this point, but it does need to be priority number one (as it has been for the past decade)

but after that? I want Griezmann. Podolski is hopeless. Cazorla had a poor season, I like him but, like Rosicky, he's not suited to be anything other than a squad player in the pacy, physical premier league imo

I think he's gone. He's in the last year of his contract and he's not playing. United want him and I think once we line up a replacement, he's gone.

jtb

Banned
I really do think Wenger will force Vermaelen to see out his contract. and why not? he's getting paid a lot, there's no World Cup to worry about. whatever fee he brings in is negligible compared to the hassle of having to bring in two new CBs (in addition to Debuchy) in one summer. if we don't need to keep the net spend at zero anymore in this "new era," then there's no need to force the issue now.

Wenger let Sagna leave on a free and he was far more valuable to the team. we haven't been linked with any CBs at all—I have to assume Wenger is fine with rolling with three CBs again. just strip him of the captaincy and we'll go from there, I guess.

omgkitty

I really do think Wenger will force Vermaelen to see out his contract. and why not? he's getting paid a lot, there's no World Cup to worry about. whatever fee he brings in is negligible compared to the hassle of having to bring in two new CBs (in addition to Debuchy) in one summer. if we don't need to keep the net spend at zero anymore in this "new era," then there's no need to force the issue now.

Wenger let Sagna leave on a free and he was far more valuable to the team. we haven't been linked with any CBs at all—I have to assume Wenger is fine with rolling with three CBs again. just strip him of the captaincy and we'll go from there, I guess.

But Sagna didn't want force his way out and we were trying to negotiate with him. I think Wenger is fine with letting Vermaelen see out his contract, but I don't think he wants to do that. Maybe he'll come back and decide to stay his last year, but I honestly think he's going to take that move to United.

jtb

Banned
Vermaelen should threaten to score own goals Gallas-style. that would be fun. personally, I'd love for nothing more than to see Vermaelen fuck off to United and ruin their season—he's always been incredibly overrated and a defensive liability.

but I don't know if it'll happen. he seemed content to collect the paychecks the past two seasons—and it's not like Wenger didn't give him a chance. he was shit. that's why he was dropped. so he's got no reason to be upset at the lack of games imo. if he didn't force a move in a world cup year, I don't know if he'll do it this year. but we'll see.

Pennywise

Immermannstraße, innit?

Love it too.

Do you know the Ramen shop called Naniwa?

Nope.

Went to the manga shops as well as the food shops, but none of the restaurants.

Sadly I had not enough time to stray off...
Was there with a friend when we visited the university for the first time.
The second time was two years ago with my girlfriend, while japan day was being held there and the town was already packed...

By the way Bla
Pls.
Even Nibel knows what's up.

Blablurn

Nope.

Went to the manga shops as well as the food shops, but none of the restaurants.

Sadly I had not enough time to stray off...
Was there with a friend when we visited the university for the first time.
The second time was two years ago with my girlfriend, while japan day was being held there and the town was already packed...

By the way Bla
Pls.
Even Nibel knows what's up.

Yeeeeeeeeah, yeeeeeeeah. I'm gonna watch it soon.

Lightning

Banned
I highly doubt Vermaelen will force a move but I also doubt Wenger will force him to stay. Sagna was willing to stay, wind his contract down, and see what happened. I don't think Vermaelen is quite so keen but I also don't think Wenger is all that keen on Vermaelen to enforce him staying.

If United put in a adequate bid Vermaelen will be sold in my opinion but it won't do Vermaelen any good. He'll be on the bench at United as well because he's not better than their current centre backs so what would be his point?

valeo

but after that? I want Griezmann. Podolski is hopeless. Cazorla had a poor season, I like him but, like Rosicky, he's not suited to be anything other than a squad player. the league is fast paced and physical and Cazorla lacks pace and especially physical presence. not the type of player to be first choice in a team capable of going toe to toe with the best teams in the league.

Considering what Arsene recently said - Verm is all but gone.

Taking into account that we are also losing our '4th CB' in Sagna - we need 1 CB to come in (or we need to promote someone from the youth team - though Wenger doesn't seem confident in the likes of Miquel) even if Verm doesn't leave.

That's all fine and good - but 15m for a marginal upgrade on a bench player is not what we need.

When all are fit - the front 3 behind Giroud will be Walcott - Ozil - Sanchez anyway.

I highly doubt Vermaelen will force a move but I also doubt Wenger will force him to stay. Sagna was willing to stay, wind his contract down, and see what happened. I don't think Vermaelen is quite so keen but I also don't think Wenger is all that keen on Vermaelen to enforce him staying.

If United put in a adequate bid Vermaelen will be sold in my opinion but it won't do Vermaelen any good. He'll be on the bench at United as well because he's not better than their current centre backs so what would be his point?

I think Verm is a good player and a 'Van Gaal'-type that would probably fit in well there. The problem hasn't been his ability - it's been his incompatibility with Koscienly.

arkon

Did anyone else watch James Richardson and Football Italia? I loved it. Bald, classy, knowledgeable guy who dressed decent and told me about things.

I grew up thinking that's how all British people were.

That turned out to be a complete lie.

24331-square.jpg

James is still dope though.

He's the reason I listen to Football Weekly.

wedward

Considering what Arsene recently said - Verm is all but gone.

Taking into account that we are also losing our '4th CB' in Sagna - we need 1 CB to come in (or we need to promote someone from the youth team - though Wenger doesn't seem confident in the likes of Miquel) even if Verm doesn't leave.

That's all fine and good - but 15m for a marginal upgrade on a bench player is not what we need.

The club are capable of signing more than one player. What does signing a CB have to do with signing a winger?

I just want Grenier or Schnederlin. I've come to the realization that we aren't going to get Griezmann.

We turned down Cesc Fabregas. We don't need Grenier.

Where would he even play?

jtb

Banned
I was thinking about Fabregas... still pissed we didn't move for him. Arteta was more of an attacking midfield player at Everton before being turned into this quasi-DM, Fabregas midfield idol was always Guardiola, he played very well in that deeper role next to Flamini (back when Flamini had loads of energy and was more of a box to box player). and Ramsey is basically an upgrade on 08 Flamini, who was already a fantastic player. you could argue that's when Fabregas played best—even if he didn't get the goals and assists.

it could have worked. he didn't have to be shoehorned as this number 10 type player, he's such a brilliant passer of the ball and he's a good physical presence for a creative player... could have transitioned back to a deeper role (much like where Alonso has played). oh well.

we better get a DM.

wedward

I was thinking about Fabregas... still pissed we didn't move for him. Arteta was more of an attacking midfield player at Everton before being turned into this quasi-DM, Fabregas midfield idol was always Guardiola, he played very well in that deeper role next to Flamini (back when Flamini had loads of energy and was more of a box to box player). you could argue that's when Fabregas played best—even if he didn't get the goals and assists.

it could have worked. he didn't have to be shoehorned as this number 10 type player, he's such a brilliant passer of the ball and he's a good physical presence for a creative player... could have transitioned back to a deeper role (much like where Alonso has played). oh well.

we better get a DM.

Ramsey tho

valeo

The club are capable of signing more than one player. What does signing a CB have to do with signing a winger?

We turned down Cesc Fabregas. We don't need Grenier.

Where would he even play?

Erm, we support Arsenal. Not Man City. We allocate funds appropriately.

And your argument against Grenier is the same as mine against Griezmann. Neither would be certain starters. Your logic is strange and is making my head explode.

jtb

Banned
Griezmann is a substantial upgrade on any of our current options on the left right now, he's hopefully going to get better, and is a long-term solution to a position where we are currently weak.

Griezmann is a substantial upgrade on any of our current options on the left right now, he's hopefully going to get better, and is a long-term solution to a position where we are currently weak.

Podolski is good enough for that position, but Wenger is a fucking idiot. Why buy one of the best goal scoring counter attacking threats for a slow possession based team.

If Wenger went Podolski-Campbell-Sanchez with Ozil behind then this team would tear it up. If i see Cazorla in a starting position or Ozil out on the wing then Wenger is beyond saving. Sanchez and Ozil his two big signings are both suited to playing on the counter and fast attacks and if we try possession football we will do fuck all in the league or champions league.

Lightning

Banned
People are getting hung up on Fabregas because of old times sake. We have Özil now, and in my opinion, he is a superior player to Fabregas. Signing both Sanchez and Cesc was never realistic and I think we got the right player. Özil created shit tonnes last season and unleashed the Ox numerous times, gave Walcott several opportunities to score in the limited time they played together and directly helped create space for Ramsey to flourish. The only player who didn't benefit from Özil was Giroud because Giroud is too slow, is never in great positions and has average finishing so more often than not ended up laying it off for someone else to finish for him.

We dont need Cesc. Özil's going to have a field day if Walcott, Ox, Ramsey and Sanchez can stay fit.

What's up with this Drogba news? He really going back to Chelsea?

I think they really should work with Lukaku, but it really sounds like he's going to be sold off if they aren't able to sell Torres.

People are getting hung up on Fabregas because of old times sake. We have Özil now, and in my opinion, he is a superior player to Fabregas. Signing both Sanchez and Cesc was never realistic and I think we got the right player. Özil created shit tonnes last season and unleashed the Ox numerous times, gave Walcott several opportunities to score and directly helped create space for Ramsey to flourish. The only player who didn't benefit from Özil was Giroud because Giroud is too slow, is never in great positions and has average finishing so more often than not ended up laying it off for someone else to finish for him.

We dont need Cesc. Özil's going to have a field day if Walcott, Ox, Ramsey and Sanchez can stay fit.

And if Wenger plays Godbry we will win the triple with him and Ozil together

Ozil is in no way superior to Fabregas. Fabregas has a much better overall game than Ozil. That said there would have been no point bringing back Fabregas because he would have been competing with Ramsey for the starting spot and it would have been a waste of money, even though he would have been an upgrade over Rambo.

So some rumors pooped up that United want Blind now that they've sold Evra. Seems a bit weird since they've just bought Shaw and Blind is a better DM that he is an LB. If it's true I hope he doesn't go for his sake since he's probably going to be a backup and nothing more, he deserves more than that.

Blablurn

Aren't you guys getting exhausted by the same speculation over and over again ?

Sky UK even has a live stream for the transfer deadline. Seriously. There is something like a 4 hour live stream just before the window closes. I saw it last year. Its ridiculous.

Do the likes of Arsenal and Man U even bother to run an academy? Seems they just let everyone else do the hard work of identifying and training promising youngsters, then use their "big club" status to turn the kid's heads. Of course, the player's former clubs are duly compensated - for instance, we'll likely be getting £250,000 in compensation for a player described as "the next Gareth Bale" when he fucks off to the Mancs. Seems fair. Meanwhile, Arsenal have already had one of our youth prospects this season and are now after another. What's the matter, Wenger? Your youth set-up not producing? Incidentally, surely a lot of these players know the higher up the table they climb, the less chance they'll actually have of breaking into the first team? I guess everyone believes they'll be the next whoever, so the prospect of failure doesn't enter into it, even though it's the most likely outcome.

What's up with this Drogba news? He really going back to Chelsea?

I think they really should work with Lukaku, but it really sounds like he's going to be sold off if they aren't able to sell Torres.

Sell Torres, have Costa as your first striker, Lukaku as the second, Drogba/Schurrle as your third.

And then sign Didier to a coaching deal for next season and have him train Lukaku into Drogba 2.0.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom