• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2014/15 |OT1| Wes to make an awesome 2014-2015 OT1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lightning

Banned
[/B]
And if Wenger plays Godbry we will win the triple with him and Ozil together

Ozil is in no way superior to Fabregas. Fabregas has a much better overall game than Ozil. That said there would have been no point bringing back Fabregas because he would have been competing with Ramsey for the starting spot and it would have been a waste of money, even though he would have been an upgrade over Rambo.
With a proper DM Özil is superior. Cesc is better with more goals but not by that many and defensively. Özil is superior in every other area in my view. The space Özil creates for others is amazing and he hardly ever loses the ball, tremendous skill.

Ramsey not as offensive as a Cesc but defensively much more disciplined and his offense gets better and better. I'd choose Ramsey personally. If Fab played for us it would be between him and Özil. Wenger basically confirmed this when telling Cesc no thank you.

Sky UK even has a live stream for the transfer deadline. Seriously. There is something like a 4 hour live stream just before the window closes. I saw it last year. Its ridiculous.

Admit it, you fucking love it. January was pretty underwhelming, expecting something mental to happen in at 11pm on August 31st though. Cavani to Arsenal type ridiculousness.

@Willkiller, Dissonance and Morsel will doubtless tell me I'm chatting shit, but I think Bristleback is good for a new player. He only has 2 Active abilities, neither of which can go badly wrong. Both abilities take very little MP and have low cooldowns, so mana isn't a problem as soon as you get some MP-regen items.

Also, very few of his recommended items are Active items, so getting him to do what you want to do shouldn't be a problem. Plus, he's fucking boss. My favourite hero so far probably. Lacks the ability to absolutely destroy everyone in a team fight since his abilities are mainly defensive or support as far as I can figure out how to use them, but his simplicity is an advantage for the level I'm at.

@ArsenalGAF, I'd want Vermaelen sold if I was in your shoes. He's a mediocre defender on relatively high wages, who you should be glad to have off the books. He wouldn't strengthen Man Utd much, and he'd probably barely play for them given his injuries. Win-Win-Win situation. He's not Van Persie, he wouldn't be a coup in any way, shape or form.

Blablurn

Admit it, you fucking love it. January was pretty underwhelming, expecting something mental to happen in at 11pm on August 31st though. Cavani to Arsenal type ridiculousness.

Since I don't like any British team, I don't love it :p But I remember that I was so bored that I watched the whole show.

Since I don't like any British team, I don't love it :p But I remember that I was so bored that I watched the whole show.

How can you not like Man City? Their fans are such masochists, they'd rather go and watch them fanny about in League 1 than win the PL

Ingrained disdain aside, I prefer Man Utd to City as an organisation.

slider

Do the likes of Arsenal and Man U even bother to run an academy? Seems they just let everyone else do the hard work of identifying and training promising youngsters, then use their "big club" status to turn the kid's heads. Of course, the player's former clubs are duly compensated - for instance, we'll likely be getting £250,000 in compensation for a player described as "the next Gareth Bale" when he fucks off to the Mancs. Seems fair. Meanwhile, Arsenal have already had one of our youth prospects this season and are now after another. What's the matter, Wenger? Your youth set-up not producing? Incidentally, surely a lot of these players know the higher up the table they climb, the less chance they'll actually have of breaking into the first team? I guess everyone believes they'll be the next whoever, so the prospect of failure doesn't enter into it, even though it's the most likely outcome.

Reece Oxford? I saw it on the BBC gossip page.

Clegg

Do the likes of Arsenal and Man U even bother to run an academy? Seems they just let everyone else do the hard work of identifying and training promising youngsters, then use their "big club" status to turn the kid's heads. Of course, the player's former clubs are duly compensated - for instance, we'll likely be getting £250,000 in compensation for a player described as "the next Gareth Bale" when he fucks off to the Mancs. Seems fair. Meanwhile, Arsenal have already had one of our youth prospects this season and are now after another. What's the matter, Wenger? Your youth set-up not producing? Incidentally, surely a lot of these players know the higher up the table they climb, the less chance they'll actually have of breaking into the first team? I guess everyone believes they'll be the next whoever, so the prospect of failure doesn't enter into it, even though it's the most likely outcome.
I don't know about Arsenal, but United has always made an effort to bring through players from the academy. But if you don't have the quality in the as academy for a position that needs filling then you have to look elsewhere.

Reece Oxford? I saw it on the BBC gossip page.

Him as well, but the lad I was talking about was Oscar Borg, who's currently on trial at the Mancs. We've apparently offered Reece the biggest deal the club's ever given to a player under 20 in a bid to keep him here and, I presume, we'll be doing the same for Oscar if he's as well rated by the academy's staff as he appears to be. Quote from Gold;

"It almost makes you give up on having an academy if they can come in and nick your best 15-year-old. What's the point?,"

Uli Hoeneß is in hospital?

What happened, BayernGAF?

Ripped anus?
giroudd24rxm.png

I'm sure there are players West Ham muscle out of lower-league academies

I'm sure there are, but that's not the point - the system in place for compensation is laughable and clubs that have, in the past, thrived on producing youth talent to be sold for a profit (like Crewe) simply can't operate that way any more. There should be retroactive compensation, much like target-met transfer clauses, so the club's in which the players completed the lion's share of their development aren't left with next-to-nothing for the work they put in.

As the gap between the big clubs and everyone else widens further and further, it's increasingly apparent that the system of "compensation" is designed to benefit those big sides, rather than the clubs it's actually supposed to compensate.

slider

Him as well, but the lad I was talking about was Oscar Borg, who's currently on trial at the Mancs. We've apparently offered Reece the biggest deal the club's ever given to a player under 20 in a bid to keep him here and, I presume, we'll be doing the same for Oscar if he's as well rated by the academy's staff as he appears to be. Quote from Gold;

"It almost makes you give up on having an academy if they can come in and nick your best 15-year-old. What's the point?,"

It's not often I agree with Gold but damn.

Fuck the classless / nouveau riche clubs.

I'm sure there are, but that's not the point - the system in place for compensation is laughable and clubs that have, in the past, thrived on producing youth talent to be sold for a profit (like Crewe) simply can't operate that way any more. There should be retroactive compensation, much like target-met transfer clauses, so the club's in which the players completed the lion's share of their development aren't left with next-to-nothing for the work they put in.

As the gap between the big clubs and everyone else widens further and further, it's increasingly apparent that the system of "compensation" is designed to benefit those big sides, rather than the clubs it's actually supposed to compensate.

Then you don't mean compensation, you mean monetary reward or just flat out sale. Compensation is to return to the club all calculable expenditure on an academy player that's been transfered, which is why it goes to tribunal often.

Not sure under labour laws whether you can simply sell an employee under 18 for a lump sum to be agreed between two parties.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
If I was in a room with Piers Morgan, Hitler and Bin Laden and had a gun with two bullets.

I'd kill Hitler and Bin Laden because Piers Morgan is just way too funny in a weird ironic way.
I'd shoot Piers Morgan

And the last bullet to make sure he's dead

Fintan

Remember a few years ago all the hype surrounding Junior Hoilett? Potential moves to Liverpool and Spurs. Ends up at QPR. I wonder does he have regrets? Or is the money enough?

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
If I was stuck in a room with Marotta, Moratti and Galliani with a gun

I'd shoot myself in the face

Preferably with Galliani behind me so I can ruin his Gold Tie with my brain

LTWheels

One of the most reason's I'm looking forward to potentially signing Lovren is that he is suppose to be a good defensive organiser. Been missing a leader at the back since Carr retired and Reina is no longer first choice.

It's good that he can play both sides, but wish he was more of a right side.

Maybe it might be good having Reina around if we can't sell him. I know he's shit nowadays outside of distribution, but maybe he can teach Mig in training how to be more of a vocal leader at the back...

Carbonox

Anyone had night terrors before? Very very frequently now will I experience these.

1. Falling asleep is fine
2. Get a feeling I'm asleep but awake
3. Creepy shit starts happening in my bedroom (my quilt melting on me is the most common one and has appeared to me more than once)
4. It's all very visual as if it's literally happening in real life
5. I properly wake up, stand there in my room feeling like a twat and then laughing it off.
6. Go back to sleep.

Can happen multiple times a week. Looking up online I discovered that these are all due to night terrors which can be caused by sleep deprivation (most likely for me as aside from like one night a week I will usually sleep 6 hours or so but that never used to be a problem) or stress (work can be stressful but ultimately it's fine and enjoyable so not sure where this would come from).

This description sums it up best:

Night Terrors are caused from falling into stage four sleep too fast. The part of your brain that is able to see where you are, what's going on, hear the sounds in your room, is awake and knows what is there. The part of your brain that drifted off to sleep too fast and is now dreaming, tends to "project" what you're dreaming into the environment you're in. You can see, hear, and sometimes smell, what you're dreaming. It is way more terrifying than this article describes, because you think what you're seeing is actually there, in your room, touching you, threatening you. It may be accompanied with sleep paralysis, but not always. Usually, when you wake, the first few seconds you are still thinking what you've seen is real. Then it fades and you're just standing there wondering if it was a dream, or something that needs to be dealt with.

Or I'm just on crack and I don't even know it.
i7dpiKYLNAyne.png

GorillaJu

One of the most reason's I'm looking forward to potentially signing Lovren is that he is suppose to be a good defensive organiser. Been missing a leader at the back since Carr retired and Reina is no longer first choice.

Maybe it might be good having Reina around if we can't sell him. I know he's shit nowadays outside of distribution, but maybe he can teach Mig in training how to be more of a vocal leader at the back...

I dunno, I think it'd be awesome if he had one last season, even playing 2nd choice with us. It'd take some mending with the staff, but if he looks at his situation realistically, being 2nd choice at Liverpool is probably one of his better options. This is of course assuming he wouldn't be willing to take a pay cut to play for a much smaller team.

Anyone had night terrors before? Very very frequently now will I experience these.

1. Falling asleep is fine
2. Get a feeling I'm asleep but awake
3. Creepy shit starts happening in my bedroom (my quilt melting on me is the most common one and has appeared to me more than once)
4. It's all very visual as if it's literally happening in real life
5. I properly wake up, stand there in my room feeling like a twat and then laughing it off.
6. Go back to sleep.

Can happen multiple times a week. Looking up online I discovered that these are all due to night terrors which can be caused by sleep deprivation (most likely for me as aside from like one night a week I will usually sleep 6 hours or so but that never used to be a problem) or stress (work can be stressful but ultimately it's fine and enjoyable so not sure where this would come from).

This description sums it up best:

Or I'm just on crack and I don't even know it.
i7dpiKYLNAyne.png

That happened to me when I tried to hypnotize myself to sleep. NEVER AGAIN.

TheIconizer

Neo Member

So true. It's just that Southampton is getting bought by Liverpool :) I mean they were doing so good last season now all of the good players are going to other clubs. Half of them to sit on the bench. It weakens the intensity and competitiveness of the BPL. Don't get me wrong, I hope Liverpool will do good.

bud23

It's D-Day for James Rodriguez.

james_rodriguez1.jpg

-Presentation at the Bernabeu set for this evening, will be open to the public.

-Real Madrid paying €70 million for James, while paying €5 million in performance-based variables and an additional €5 million if James wins the Ballon d’Or.

-Six-year deal worth 7 million-euro net a season.

-Will wear the number 10 shirt.

Welcome to Madrid, baby.

Gambit

question for knowledgeable folk:

This morning I can't load any youtube videos. It's exceptionally slow and usually doesn't start at all.

Other websites are fine and videos on something like dailymotion load quickly as well. It's just youtube.

Any ideas why?

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
2488.jpg

Liverpool is easily the hardest start.

He was good. He has always been a good and calm keeper. I know it's old and so on, but he did stop Balotelli's penalty. He is good because he can keep his cool in intense scenarios.

Hmmm maybe you're right. But I still rate Mig higher than him.

TheIconizer

Neo Member
Oh my god. James why Real Madrid? Your career and player progression is basically done now. I remember you when you were in the Porto dream team :(

Hmmm maybe you're right. But I still rate Mig higher than him.

Mignolet has yet to improve and can still improve. Reina is basically at his peak.

jesalr

Metro Sport Reporter saying we're in Rome to try and buy Destro and Benatia...

Just cause Baldini worked there, doesn't mean he can pop back and take who he wants.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Watched The Strain's episode 2 last night, and I'm still liking it. People who nitpick are the fucking worst "but..it's the Centers FOR Disease & Control not OF Disease & Control. THE WRITERS ARE STUPID". How can you enjoy anything in life if you're so fixated on inconsequential details

just fucking enjoy the show and David Bradley :p

The-Strain-1x01-01.jpg

Metro Sport Reporter saying we're in Rome to try and buy Destro and Benatia...

Just cause Baldini worked there, doesn't mean he can pop back and take who he wants.
isn't this how your media works?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom