• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2014/15 |OT3| Got to be a top 5 worst thread title we've ever had.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hull complaining way too much about a throw in that didn't go their way. It was a throw in for fucks sake.

It happens to even the best of us.

iqr2D4XMMCQKR.gif

iZpZybMNbZLge.gif

iIlL1ujLWIcu0.gif

Maybe he was still angry about that Brondby player joining Palermo that it clouded his mind

idk

Good joke m8, such wit. Also he hasn't joined yet.

Di Maria is instantly United best player but that is Dalglish level silly spending.

It is, but I understand it in context. There aren't a large number of players out there on the open market with his talent level. Of the few available players with his quality, how many want to play for United in its current form? From a purely outsider Yank perspective, the Man U allure is gone.

United is desperate and will have to open the purse strings if they want a player as talented as the Angel of Mary.

Clegg

The worst thing about the match was the relief I felt for Fletcher when he was subbed. He was genuinely awful out there and completely out of his depth. Felt so bad for him that after everything he's gone through to get back to football, he's now lost everything that made him a good player in the first place.

Cleverley, however, has no excuse for the fuckwittery he displays almost every game now. He has a crippling aversion to passing the ball forwards, can't tackle and gives the ball away frequently.

L1NETT

Tried to watch Doctor Who because of Capaldi

It's.....SHIT

I get folk are into it but god it's unbearably terrible. Don't get the attraction whatsoever

The worst thing about the match was the relief I felt for Fletcher when he was subbed. He was genuinely awful out there and completely out of his depth. Felt so bad for him that after everything he's gone through to get back to football, he's now lost everything that made him a good player in the first place.

Gonna take him a while but aye looked yards off the pace. Tough midfield Mackems have got there but technically and physically looked miles off it, which is somewhat understandable.

Yeah he was Clev level shit today.

rodvik

It is, but I understand it in context. There aren't a large number of players out there on the open market with his talent level. Of the few available players with his quality, how many want to play for United in its current form? From a purely outsider Yank perspective, the Man U allure is gone.

United is desperate and will have to open the purse strings if they want a player as talented as the Angel of Mary.

I can't argue with that. I would have thought some potentially exciting young talent could have been bought at the same time with some smart scouting. Not sure what happened to the Manu that scouted out Hernandez but they just pay above the going rate for everyone now.

Panic buying like this just seems out of character for the club. I would have thought a series of slightly less known quality but canny buys over the summer would have been United like.

I think the most shocking thing is just how terrible the ManU Squad is right now. I mean they are not even losing by being swashbuckling and interesting, they are playing the similar dross as the rest of us, not yet Villa levels of shit football I grant you, but crap to watch regardless.

Wilbur

Banned
Clev and Fletch were diabolical today. Honestly, I can't think of many worse midfields in the league than the one we had out today, and that isn't even hyperbole. Burnley's. Maybe Leicester's, but they certainly have more muscle.

Every other team is better. Palace have Jedinak and Ledley, who offer far more power and dominance in the middle than we do right now. QPR have fucking Barton and Mutch and Fer, all of who would dominate fucking Tom Cleverley.

The problem at the moment is that if we go back to 4-3-3, I'm relatively happy with our back four (provided Evans/Rafael/Shaw is fit, so big ask), and Herrera/ADM in the middle is superb. We absolutely need someone to play in Carrick's position or at least someone like Vidal who isn't the same player in terms of play but makes up for it because he's top top quality. Clev, Fletch, Anderson; none of them will do.

And I think we either need to drop one of RVP or Rooney, or Rooney has to play wide left without being a moody cunt. Mata is more than capable of playing from the right so none of this behind the striker bollocks, thanks; he did fine there for Benitez at Chelsea. Either play Welbeck or Januzaj on the wings and let them cut in if you're so insistent on a 4-3-3 if Rooney's gonna sulk, or (the more likely option) just put him out there and he'll do his job. He's also played well there before.

I'd like to pretend most of the problems last season were down to Moyes and this season due to injuries and an unfamiliar formation.

Edited a bit on Clev into my original post. At least Fletcher has a debilitating illness as an excuse for his poor performances. Clev is just crap. He gave the ball away 4 times in his own half today. That's completely putrid.

Worse than that, he gave the ball away attempting to make non risky sideways passes to delegate his responsibility for distributing the ball vertically.

Bold One

we should start a petition preventing Tom Cleverley from putting on a United Shirt or stepping on the field for us ever again. I am all for supporting the team, but he's a liability to us out there

Edited a bit on Clev into my original post. At least Fletcher has a debilitating illness as an excuse for his poor performances. Clev is just crap. He gave the ball away 4 times in his own half today. That's completely putrid.

I don't think i've ever seen so many hospital passes by 1 player as Cleverley did today.

It must be an elaborate scheme to guarantee he is a first team starter.

sohois

I was interested to note a number of United formations now abandoning RVP as striker, or at the least putting him on equal footing with Rooney. As one of the key men behind United's title 2 years ago, one wold assume he would again be key this season. But on the other hand, he was very much a short term signing and perhaps United fans are taking that into account already. All of which led me to wonder: what actually would one expect of RVP in this season, given his age?

Now, this is an incredibly basic look at prior performances, but it does at least form a base to begin discussions and even if one doesn't pay any mind to it, I hope at least it can be interesting just as record. In any case, I went through the scoring records of old PL seasons to see how other players in RVP's age group performed.

I made a simple assumption of 15 goals as a cut-off point, assuming that this was the standard that a very good first choice striker should reach. I also looked at 20+ goals, assuming this was the top level for strikers. And so:

There are ~163 players who have managed more than 15 goals in a season.

There are ~59 players to have managed more than 20

Looking at ages, 20 strikers over the age of 30 have scored more than 15 goals (and note this is counting some players multiple times).

7 players over the age of 30 have scored more than 20 in a season.

To go to RVP's age, 31, there are 12 players over that age to score more than 15.

There are 5 players over 31 to score more than 20.

In percentage terms, that is:
12% of 15+ goal strikers are 30+
12% of 20+ goal strikers are 30+
7.5% of 15+ goal strikers are 31+
8.5% of 20+ goal strikers are 31+

The only thing I would really be prepared to say about this data is that were RVP to join those ranks, he would rightly be regarded as one of the PL's greatest strikers. It would be a very great achievement.

The players who scored more than 20 goals after their 30th year are as follows: Peter Beardsley, Ian Wright, Jurgen Klinsmann, Alan Shearer (2 times), Didier Drogba and Yaya Toure.

scently

Worse than that, he gave the ball away attempting to make non risky sideways passes to delegate his responsibility for distributing the ball vertically.

At one point, we were moving out from our half and the ball was given to him with nobody in front to put him under pressure. Instead he passed the ball to Rooney who was like 2 feet from him and was trying to move into the opposition half, but he had to take the ball and the responsibility of distributing it because Cleverly is afraid of his own shadow. I really don't think he can cut it in any team in the EPL.

Scum

Clev and Fletch were diabolical today. Honestly, I can't think of many worse midfields in the league than the one we had out today, and that isn't even hyperbole. Burnley's. Maybe Leicester's, but they certainly have more muscle.

Every other team is better. Palace have Jedinak and Ledley, who offer far more power and dominance in the middle than we do right now. QPR have fucking Barton and Mutch and Fer, all of who would dominate fucking Tom Cleverley.

The problem at the moment is that if we go back to 4-3-3, I'm relatively happy with our back four (provided Evans/Rafael/Shaw is fit, so big ask), and Herrera/ADM in the middle is superb. We absolutely need someone to play in Carrick's position or at least someone like Vidal who isn't the same player in terms of play but makes up for it because he's top top quality. Clev, Fletch, Anderson; none of them will do.

And I think we either need to drop one of RVP or Rooney, or Rooney has to play wide left without being a moody cunt. Mata is more than capable of playing from the right so none of this behind the striker bollocks, thanks; he did fine there for Benitez at Chelsea. Either play Welbeck or Januzaj on the wings and let them cut in if you're so insistent on a 4-3-3 if Rooney's gonna sulk, or (the more likely option) just put him out there and he'll do his job. He's also played well there before.

I'd like to pretend most of the problems last season were down to Moyes and this season due to injuries and an unfamiliar formation.

Is this what you want, Wilbz?

1081947_Manchester_United.jpg

sohois

Ronaldo, Suarez, Torres, Rooney (?), Drogba, Shearer

Andy Cole, Alan Shearer x 3, Kevin Phillips, Thierry Henry, Cristiano Ronaldo, Robin Van Persie and Luis Suarez

edit: also to note this and above posts are strictly referring to league goalscoring and not all comps

Wilbur

Banned
Is this what you want, Wilbz?

http://www.footballuser.com/formations/2014/08/1081947_Manchester_United.jpg[/im][/QUOTE]

-------------------------------------De Gea-------------------------------------
Rafael---------Jones/Evans/Rojo---------Jones/Evans/Rojo---------Shaw
New CM----------------------------Herrera----------------------------Di Maria
Mata/Januzaj---------------------van Persie---------------------Rooney/Welbeck/Januzaj

or

-------------------------------------De Gea-------------------------------------
Rafael---------Jones/Evans/Rojo---------Jones/Evans/Rojo---------Shaw
New CM----------------------------Herrera----------------------------Di Maria
-------------------------------------Mata/Januzaj-------------------------------------
van Persie/Rooney/Welbeck---------------------van Persie/Rooney/Welbeck

Go_Ly_Dow

In the last two games Mata has been stomped out by the opposition CM's. Maybe shifting him to the wings is the right move til we have competent midfielders who can service him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom