• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2014/15 |OT3| Got to be a top 5 worst thread title we've ever had.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arnie

Yea, I quite like New Balance gear.

To answer your question Maddox it'll have to fit stylistically with the brand. Warrior went a specific route with their branding that I don't think fits with New Balance as a brand.

Hopefully this signals a return to simpler designs, ala our first kit under Warrior which remains a fucking sumptuous strip.

Meier

You would never see City give a the likes of a Flanagan a chance because he impressed in training.

This whole mindset is so ridiculous. The only reason Sterling and Flanagan got chances is because Liverpool had a pretty shitty team and were nowhere near the top 4 for a handful of seasons. You wouldn't see City do this because City don't have garbage players that they're desperate to replace and aren't having disastrous transfer windows leaving them with no budget to buy replacements. Liverpool have just gone and spent nearly £100m and are still spending. You won't see Liverpool do it again any time soon either because they now have an expectation of success.

UnitedGaf, if you had to pick one

Di Maria or Vidal

Any United supporters going for Di Maria there is crazy. Di Maria would be yet another winger/10'er for them, he's great, but not what they need. Vidal would go into a position they desperately lack not just depth, but a decent starter next to the new 25 year old prospect.

If they're well funded and what not, why was the club irrelevant for nearly a decade? Surely that amazing youth contingent would have helped out. And yeah they have more of an interest - because they have less money to spend. I don't buy the argument that Liverpool are inherently in favour of developing young players, especially not in this age where short term success is much more important.

Because while it was well-funded, it wasn't particularly well-staffed or organised. Plus we share local talent with Everton who also have a lot of focus on their youth teams, and our catchment area includes Machester iirc

Are you honestly happy with the difficulty Chelsea youngsters have in getting a chance to prove themselves even in preseason?

Maddox

Can't afford to keep mid table trash like Cleverley, Evans and Welbeck around forever just because they are from the academy, that's what midtable teams do, not a team about to win CL and the home league.

There would of been no shame in selling those players last season, they all had a good enough run. Knowing when to cut them loose is important too i suppose.

I'm a bit gutted Ibe didn't get a chance at a premier league club this season, i think he is good enough.

Meier, Sterling would have been given a chance at any team that has a manager with a brain cell. He'd perhaps have struggled to get back in the team like he did last December, but he'd have been given the initial chance.

If he wouldn't have, it'd be pointless for such a club to have an academy structure,as you'd expect way too much from the youth players before giving them their breakthrough

Because while it was well-funded, it wasn't particularly well-staffed or organised. Plus we share local talent with Everton who also have a lot of focus on their youth teams, and our catchment area includes Machester iirc

Are you honestly happy with the difficulty Chelsea youngsters have in getting a chance to prove themselves even in preseason?

Plenty of our youngsters got a good amount of game time in pre-season? Jose has been pleased with some of them and as preseason progressed we loaned some out as we got nearer to the start of the season.

The young lads had a good preseason

Kill3r7

UnitedGaf, if you had to pick one

Di Maria or Vidal

Vidal (total pipe dream). Short of getting another CB, United aren't setup to play 4-3-3 at the moment. Vidal would be a better fit in a 3-5-2 system.

I guess one could make the argument that Di Maria now and Strootman in January is the better option. (I would agree with this)

Plenty of our youngsters got a good amount of game time in pre-season? Jose has been pleased with some of them and as preseason progressed we loaned some out as we got nearer to the start of the season.

The young lads had a good preseason

Damn, forgot you played like twice as many preseason games as everyone else :p

Assume they got the first 3 then the first team got the others?

I have a love/hate relationship on the whole thing. I like to believe that if the manager thought some of those kids are good enough for the senior team, then they would play. But then at the same time there's someone like Sturridge who is really good that we let slip and goes off to become a star elsewhere.

Ultimately I think it's a gamble in terms of who is talented or not to make it and a club like Chelsea who aims for short term success (though Mourinho now claims otherwise) don't want to risk seeing if a youth player is good enough. And I'm okay with that I guess, I have no affinity towards those kids because come on, they make way more money than I do lol. I'm not English so I couldn't care less about developing English players for the NT.

Rojo gets the 5 shirt.

BvgLq9bCAAAdHpc.jpg:large

sohois

This whole mindset is so ridiculous. The only reason Sterling and Flanagan got chances is because Liverpool had a pretty shitty team and were nowhere near the top 4 for a handful of seasons. You wouldn't see City do this because City don't have garbage players that they're desperate to replace and aren't having disastrous transfer windows leaving them with no budget to buy replacements. Liverpool have just gone and spent nearly £100m and are still spending. You won't see Liverpool do it again any time soon either because they now have an expectation of success.

Except that even with all the new arrivals this season, you will very likely see more Liverpool youngsters being given debuts and chances in the league. What is more, we don't even need to just use Liverpool. Even with their supremely successful league team, Man Utd frequently gave opportunities to their young players and Arsenal likewise.

So your point about the mindset being ridiculous is frankly completely wrong.

Additional point re: the picture of youth tournament 'winners' of last season: I haven't looked at this in great detail, but there appears to be basically no correlation between on pitch 'success' for youth teams and actual success in bringing players through. There are some high profile examples of youth cup winning teams putting several players through, but in general the winners of u-15 leagues and u -19 tournaments and what not have no effect on increasing players brought through.

Meier

Meier, Sterling would have been given a chance at any team that has a manager with a brain cell. He'd perhaps have struggled to get back in the team like he did last December, but he'd have been given the initial chance.

If he wouldn't have, it'd be pointless for such a club to have an academy structure,as you'd expect way too much from the youth players before giving them their breakthrough

He probably would have been loaned out for a season or two if he was at a different club who was challenging for a top spot.

pulga

Banned
Ok Madrid-GAF, give me a guess on how likely Falcao seems, and what it would entail if he did go.

why the fuck should we know anything
KuGsj.gif

hey UnitedGAF, give me a guess on how likely Balotelli seems, and what it would entail if he did go

L1NETT

Can't afford to keep mid table trash like Cleverley, Evans and Welbeck around forever just because they are from the academy, that's what midtable teams do, not a team about to win CL and the home league.

The examples across Europe are slapping you round the gob of teams who are successful based on strong home grown cores. City are trying it, Arsenal have gone back on what they were. Man United,Muinch, Barcelona, Juve, Ajax etc etc

If you think this stickerbook fantasy where smaller clubs are artificially propelled through financial doping is the model everyone should follow you are so lost

He probably would have been loaned out for a season or two if he was at a different club who was challenging for a top spot.

And therein lies part of the genius of Ferguson

He'd have found room in the schedule to actually get a good first-hand look at such a talent in his own team while still fighting for the title

which is why the way Pogba left is so bizarre

jesalr

I want Depay at Spurs so much. I think it's just because there's a new article about him and Spurs every day. That atop him tearing the Eredivisie a new one.

Abraxas

why the fuck should we know anything
KuGsj.gif

hey UnitedGAF, give me a guess on how likely Balotelli seems, and what it would entail if he did go

Come on plug, you know what I mean. Surely you have a better understanding of your team than I do, Do you think it could happen? And if it did would Benzema leave/

Meier

Except that even with all the new arrivals this season, you will very likely see more Liverpool youngsters being given debuts and chances in the league. What is more, we don't even need to just use Liverpool. Even with their supremely successful league team, Man Utd frequently gave opportunities to their young players and Arsenal likewise.
Funny you should mention that. United have a worse record of bringing English youngsters through than Man City in the Premier League era. On top of that, Januzaj was the first youth player they'd brought through in general since Welbeck (who not surprisingly was loaned out a few times) as I recall and that was what, 5 years? United's squad was not good last season -- they finished 8th for a reason. When you are a team who is in that area of the table, it makes sense to give some minutes to a younger player who can't be any worse.

I want Depay at Spurs so much. I think it's just because there's a new article about him and Spurs every day. That atop him tearing the Eredivisie a new one.

Same. We really don't need any more of those players, but this is really our only chance to buy him. If we don't he's probably going to have an amazing season and bigger clubs or clubs with more money will come in for him and we won't even be in the picture. Like what happened with Isco.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom