• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2014/15 |OT3| Got to be a top 5 worst thread title we've ever had.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Manager

Chelsea done that successfully with their goalie only. Tried it with Lukaku ended up selling, tried it with Kevin De Bryune ended up selling. Chelsea are buying their players, they aren't developing shit.

And now they have one of the best goalkeeper in the world for the future 15 years? And in five years they'll find someone else. Having 2-3 players, saving you ~£100m in transfer fees, makes the whole academy worth it.

But I didn't mean it as in Chelsea buying 19 y/o (like Courtois) and then loaning out, I meant putting youngsters through your own academy from early age and then loan them out for 2-3 years (as a general model) until they're 21-22.

Feorax

If I were Benzema, I'd be pissed if they signed Falcao. He just signed a new long term contract, and Falcao would start over him pretty much no matter what.

I agree, but it's Perez we're talking about. He seems to be the only one at the club that hasn't realised selling Di Maria is a wank idea.

Manager

Youth has no chance at City as long as their owners are willing to pump money into the club. Same at Chelsea.

Why wast the time going through the growing pains when you can just buy up the finished article?

Your fooling yourself otherwise. The only use for your youth is to sell them off to balance the ffp books, ala the Chelsea model.

Roman is not splashing money and is very positive towards FFP. They Abu Dhabi folks are investors and won't put money into City forever. As someone showed, City has "only" spent £125m in the last five windows, £100m of that was in the 13/14 summer window and then £25m in the other four.

They're getting tired of spending money, otherwise they wouldn't care a shit about the academy. But now they got this.

C_71_article_1488396_image_list_image_list_item_0_image.jpg

omgkitty

So Bergkamp did the ice bucket challenge and called out his son Mitchel. I looked him up and he plays for Almere City and not Ajax? Is he not any good?

Lightning

Banned
And now they have one of the best goalkeeper in the world for the future 15 years? And in five years they'll find someone else. Having 2-3 players, saving you ~£100m in transfer fees, makes the whole academy worth it.

But I didn't mean it as in Chelsea buying 19 y/o (like Courtois) and then loaning out, I meant putting youngsters through your own academy from early age and then loan them out for 2-3 years (as a general model) until they're 21-22.
But Chelsea's academy didn't develop Courtois, he was very talented before being brought and then pushed further by Atletico. It was an extremely effective purchase, nothing more than that. He was loaned as soon as he was brought, no Chelsea development at all with their youth side of things.

L1NETT

Having 2-3 players, saving you ~£100m in transfer fees, makes the whole academy worth it.

What a depressing way to look at an academy, as a way to save on transfer fees

ew

But Chelsea's academy didn't develop Courtois, he was very talented before being brought and then pushed further by Atletico. It was an extremely effective purchase, nothing more than that. He was loaned as soon as he was brought, no Chelsea development at all with their youth side of things.

The thing is Chelsea Youth team are really successful at academy level, especially last season. They have talented kids

Salvadora

But he's still a backup yes to the other two? City played Nastasic, 19 y/o, 21 starts in the 12/13 season. 13 times last season but heavily injured.
Chambers is literally playing his first couple of matches at CB of his whole club career.

You could go through lots and lots of players at Arsenal who have made a similar jump up to first team action.

As I said before, it won't happen at City until you have the best of the best ready made youngster. Or, I suppose, the whole thing is a ruse to sidestep FFP.

Manager

But that's exactly what I wrote:

My point was that they'd loan the Chelsea model of putting a player out 2-3 years on loan BUT NOT buying like Chelsea do as in buying a 19 y/o like Curtois. Make your own talent but loan them out 2-3 years so they get experience, put them on when they're 21-22. City academy players won't expect to come on at 18 like other clubs, normalise it at 20-22 instead. City have the money to wait until the youngsters are ready, no pressure on the academy to deliver. Just loan them out to Celtic, Lille, PSV etc and then put them on a few years later. As long as they don't do a Pogba.

Barca do similar stuff, gives them experience first.

Chambers is literally playing his first couple of matches at CB of his whole club career.

You could go through lots and lots of players at Arsenal who have made a similar jump up to first team action.

As I said before, it won't happen at City until you have the best of the best ready made youngster. Or, I suppose, the whole thing is a ruse to sidestep FFP.

Chambers was still more expensive than Nastasic... PL experienced and everything.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Tell me Rojo, tell me about how big we are and how much of an honour it is

Sustain me

Lightning

Banned
But that's exactly what I wrote:

My point was that they'd loan the Chelsea model of putting a player out 2-3 years on loan BUT NOT buying like Chelsea do as in buying a 19 y/o like Curtois. Make your own talent but loan them out 2-3 years so they get experience, put them on when they're 21-22. City academy players won't expect to come on at 18 like other clubs, normalise it at 20-22 instead. City have the money to wait until the youngsters are ready, no pressure on the academy to deliver. Just loan them out to Celtic, Lille, PSV etc and then put them on a few years later. As long as they don't do a Pogba.
Goalkeepers don't go for ridiculous fees. We got Ospina for 3m.

Achieving that with attacking players is not so simple, even for Chelsea: see De Bryune and Lukaku. Both sold and ready made replacements brought in to replace them.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
74F5E71D57944FB696855E2DF4F92EEF.ashx

United sign Marcos Rojo from Sporting Lisbon

- Argentina international joins on five-year contract
- Nani to join Sporting Lisbon on loan

Manchester United is delighted to announce the signing of defender Marcos Rojo from Sporting Lisbon for a fee of €20m, with Nani joining the Portuguese club on a season-long loan. Marcos joins on a five-year contract.

Rojo, 24, joined Sporting from Spartak Moscow, having started his career at his home town team of Estudiantes de la Plata. Marcos has played 28 times for Argentina since making his debut three years ago and played six games, including the final, in his country's run to the recent FIFA World Cup final, scoring in the last group game against Nigeria. He was named as one of the defenders in the Castrol Index All Star Team of the tournament.

Marcos Rojo said: "It is such an honour to say that I now play for Manchester United. The Premier League is the most exciting league in the world and to have the chance to play in it for the world's biggest club is a dream for me. I am young and am very keen to continue to learn the game, so playing for such an experienced technical coach as Louis van Gaal is a fantastic opportunity for me. I have joined United to work hard with my team-mates to win trophies and I know that the manager shares that ambition."

Louis van Gaal said: "Marcos is a very gifted defender. He has played at the highest level in world football and can play either as a central defender or left-back. He has ability, physical strength and a willingness to learn that means he has a very bright future ahead of him. He had a very strong World Cup and has been playing in Europe for a couple of years now. He is a very good addition to the team."

You would never see City give a the likes of a Flanagan a chance because he impressed in training.
That says more about Liverpool's lack of depth and funds than their love of youth. Heck look at them now, they're spending Suarez and other money all on young talent rather than developing their own. Obviously there's nothing wrong with that but claiming moral superiority under the guise of "liking youth talent" is dumb.

That says more about Liverpool's lack of depth and funds than their love of youth. Heck look at them now, they're spending Suarez and other money all on young talent rather than developing their own. Obviously there's nothing wrong with that but claiming moral superiority under the guise of "liking youth talent" is dumb.

wut

Our youth system is about as well funded as it can be, of course the Suarez money is going to go on new signings. This season is everything, we're not an established top 4 team and have to become that first and foremost.

Liverpool have more of an interest in bringing youth players through than City and Chelsea, and it's not entirely because you have more money to spend on players to fill the roles young players would otherwise take

Arnie

Wow, crazy news.

New Balance have pulled the plug on the Warrior Football brand so next season we'll have New Balance kits.

Comes from The Anfield Wrap.

Edit: Maddox you egg, I must now commit seppuku

Meier

ew

The thing is Chelsea Youth team are really successful at academy level, especially last season. They have talented kids

I mean.. if you look at it from an objective point of view, that's what they're for. That's what they've always been for -- the numbers are just bigger now.

As for your second point, no academy in England as a whole was more successful than City's last year. Whether or not these kids end up playing at City remains to be seen, but the club is developing talent and that's the most important thing for the players themselves.

Chelsea done that successfully with their goalie only. Tried it with Lukaku ended up selling, tried it with Kevin De Bryune ended up selling. Chelsea are buying their players, they aren't developing shit.

and when it doesn't work out with them in the first team, Chelsea still make a good amount of cash on it for the FFP budget. #winning

ew

#againstmodernfootball

wut

Our youth system is about as well funded as it can be, of course the Suarez money is going to go on new signings. This season is everything, we're not an established top 4 team and have to become that first and foremost.

Liverpool have more of an interest in bringing youth players through than City and Chelsea, and it's not entirely because you have more money to spend on players to fill the roles young players would otherwise take

Let's see whether it lasts when you have to go toe to toe against Chelsea and City

Fucking Chelsea and City

Mr Cola

Beautiful, succinct, interesting

Those tattoos though :|

wut

If they're well funded and what not, why was the club irrelevant for nearly a decade? Surely that amazing youth contingent would have helped out. And yeah they have more of an interest - because they have less money to spend. I don't buy the argument that Liverpool are inherently in favour of developing young players, especially not in this age where short term success is much more important.

Maddox

Wow, crazy news.

New Balance have pulled the plug on the Warrior Football brand so next season we'll have New Balance kits.

You Should be ashamed of yourself, to be quite frank. Any word if its going to be designed by a completely different team or is it just going to be a straight logo swap?

Wow, crazy news.

At least New Balance is relevant now. You see loads of people wearing them these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom