• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2014/15 |OT3| Got to be a top 5 worst thread title we've ever had.

Status
Not open for further replies.
BvefyKJIIAAgDLT.jpg

I expected QPR to be up there in the heaviest department

Salvadora

City needs a CB *now*, Demichelis is leaving next summer and that only leaves Kompany in the long run. Denayer just turned 19, highly inexperienced and no one else CB has been close to be good enough, they've barely made it to Championship teams after leaving the academy, most often League 1 or 2.

It would make sense to hate on City if City actually had any new rejected graduates playing in PL for other teams, but they don't. No one has been close lately. Vladimir Weiss acted poorly, otherwise he could've at least made the bench a couple of times I guess.

City are waiting for that young kid to breake through and spend a lot on the new academy. If Marcos Lopes has a fantastic year in Lille he'll absolutely take a spot on the bench next year.

Kompany will be 29 next season, there's absolutely room in a few years for Denayer or any other talent if they're good enough.
It's not hating on City, but merely pointing out the way it is.

Players won't "break through" at City because that is not the way you do things. Your ambition is to compete at the very top level. To do that, you've put together a squad with immense quality and depth. For example, you have 4 (!) fantastic forwards. Where is the space for a young player to have a prolonged run in the first team? There isn't.

Sterling wouldn't become the wonderful player he has by sitting on the bench or playing for a second team in Belgium. He needed time. He needed to play poorly and still have the confidence of the manager to pick him.

That is not City.

Manager

FOX Soccer Trax @FOXSoccerTrax · 1m
LILLE Enyeama, Corchia, Kjaer, Beria, Souare, Basa, Balmont, Gueye, Mavuba, Kalou, Origi

PORTO Fabiano, Danilo, Martins Indi, Maicon, Alex Sandro, Casemiro, Brahimi, Herrera, Oliver Torres, Ruben Neves, Martinez

Meier

LILLE Enyeama, Corchia, Kjaer, Beria, Souare, Basa, Balmont, Gueye, Mavuba, Kalou, Origi

PORTO Fabiano, Danilo, Martins Indi, Maicon, Alex Sandro, Casemiro, Brahimi, Herrera, Oliver Torres, Ruben Neves, Martinez
Wow @ Ruben Neves. I mentioned him in here the other day as he was Porto's youngest debutant to score in the league. Just 17.

Manager

It's not hating on City, but merely pointing out the way it is.

Players won't "break through" at City because that is not the way you do things. Your ambition is to compete at the very top level. To do that, you've put together a squad with immense quality and depth. For example, you have 4 (!) fantastic forwards. Where is the space for a young player to have a prolonged run in the first team? There isn't.

Sterling wouldn't become the wonderful player he has by sitting on the bench or playing for a second team in Belgium. He needed time. He needed to play poorly and still have the confidence of the manager to pick him.

That is not City.

It's not, but Txiki, Soriano and Pellegrini wants it to be and they'll decide on that 100%. It will change, but first there must be talents good enough. Last few years they haven't even been able to loan out to Championship teams, no one wanted their academy players. Now suddenly they have 18 y/o starters in Lille, Celtic and PSV. It's starting to change, but obviously it will take time.

I guess I'm just repeating itself, but they wouldn't build that academy if they didn't believe in it. And yes, City has four strikers and yes, City would probably not put an 18 y/o on in PL. But if they train fantastic talents with the new regime from ~10 y/o and up, they will some day have that fantastic talent. Maybe they have to loan them out, but they will take care of them and some day someone will make it.

Sigh, I guess there's no way of knowing, we'll just have to wait and see. I believe in Txiki and Soriano's vision though.

edit
They've completely re-done the whole academy. Training schedules, salaries, tactics, everything. They monitor 10 y/o on a scary level.

jts

...hate me...
THE QUARESMA? He's still playing football?
Yeah, he made a return to Porto and actually became again a very influential player
in a shitty season

He's still fit and got some moves.

Makes bad decisions most of the times tho.

fuenf

He's only 30. Apparently he joined in January from some middle-eastern team.

I still remember when Bayern was about to sign either Ribery or Quaresma. It would be a different world if we had signed Quaresma... or maybe a transfer would've catapulted him towards the CR7 level and Portugal would be the most dominant force in Football now... nah I go with we dodged a bullet

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
guys... GUYS, HELP!!!

I know nothing about footie match streams, most I've done is using my Sky Go sub on mac/pc/iPad) I'm with my father thinking Sky was showing the
Europa League qualifier for Stjarnan Vs. F.C. Internazionale
and instead those fuckers don't have the rights, I've looked into buying the match on Mediaset Premium but you need a proper box/card to do that (instead I have Sky Calcio+Sport sub), can't even buy it online??
I'd be happy to buy the match and watch it ghetto style on my mac, but if that ain't possible I would be glad to have some pointers to streams even if the commentary is in some foreign language we don't understand.

-__-

So yeah, I'm kinda begging here for some direction to where to find streams for the match? I don't know where to start honestly and there's not much time left.
I saw you discussing streaming a lot back in the day so I assume it's not against the TOS, hopefully you can help me out otherwise it'd be a real bummer, especially sad for my father.

Salvadora

I guess I'm just repeating itself, but they wouldn't build that academy if they didn't believe in it. And yes, City has four strikers and yes, City would probably not put an 18 y/o on in PL. But if they train fantastic talents with the new regime from ~10 y/o and up, they will some day have that fantastic talent. Maybe they have to loan them out, but they will take care of them and some day someone will make it.

Sigh, I guess there's no way of knowing, we'll just have to wait and see. I believe in Txiki and Soriano's vision though.
I'm just finding it very hard to believe a youngster would displace Aguero, Dzeko, Jovetic, and Negredo, for example. What 18/19/20 year old could? Can't think of any in the world who would. And those that could are going to spend their career on loan in no mans land in continental Europe to find out? Of course not.

You may say, "yeah we love youth," but the proof is in the pudding. You want the finished article, not someone who will make mistakes and stumble because of inexperience.

guys... GUYS, HELP!!!

I know nothing about footie match streams, most I've done is using my Sky Go sub on mac/pc/iPad) I'm with my father thinking Sky was showing the
Europa League qualifier for Stjarnan Vs. F.C. Internazionale
and instead those fuckers don't have the rights, I've looked into buying the match on Mediaset Premium but you need a proper box/card to do that (instead I have Sky Calcio+Sport sub), can't even buy it online??
I'd be happy to buy the match and watch it ghetto style on my mac, but if that ain't possible I would be glad to have some pointers to streams even if the commentary is in some foreign language we don't understand.

-__-

So yeah, I'm kinda begging here for some direction to where to find streams for the match? I don't know where to start honestly and there's not much time left.
I saw you discussing streaming a lot back in the day so I assume it's not against the TOS, hopefully you can help me out otherwise it'd be a real bummer, especially sad for my father.

wizwig is your answer m8

jtb

Banned
really disappointed with Dzeko signing a new contract, he's been my dream striker signing for a few seasons now. we should have done an RVP/Dzeko swap :(

Feorax

@Kike_Marin_: El #Liverpool ha pedido al #Mónaco la cesión de Falcao, pero el colombiano sigue esperando al #RealMadrid si finalmente traspasa a Di María.

That's Di Maria being sold then. No chance in hell we'd be that fortunate.

Lightning

Banned
I'm just finding it very hard to believe a youngster would displace Aguero, Dzeko, Jovetic, and Negredo, for example. What 18/19/20 year old could? Can't think of any in the world who would

You may say, "yeah we love youth," but the proof is in the pudding. You want the finished article, not someone who will make mistakes and stumble because of inexperience.
A Chambers doesn't work at City?

Bold One

Sterling, Sturridge, Gerrard, Henderson, Lallana, Johnson and Liverpool play some of the best football in the league.

It's not that they're English, shit players are shit and our squad is full of them.

only the bolded are good, the rest flatter to deceive

Still think Pool will be exposed without Suarez to create space for the forward line

Manager

I'm just finding it very hard to believe a youngster would displace Aguero, Dzeko, Jovetic, and Negredo, for example. What 18/19/20 year old could? Can't think of any in the world who would

No one will become as good instantly, but the youngsters fit City's tactics perfectly (compared to a Negredo for example) and played it since the age of what, 10-12? Add that City will have one of the best scouting teams on the planet to find the best youngsters. The best infrastructure in the world and some of the best academy directors in the world, stolen from Barca etc. Insane money put into this.

Take Lopes for example, if he gets in as an extra winger they'll still have Silva, Nasri and Navas before him. But he'll be there, train with them, and get his chance at the end of the match here and there and only get better. If he's good enough, that is.

I guess strikers in particular are difficult to get through academies, neither City or Chelsea could handle Sturridge and the strikers are so relying on form.

I think that in future, it will be similar with what Chelsea are doing. You loan them out until they're 21-22, they'll have plenaty of experience of European football and then you'll put them in your team.

fuenf

He arguably won us the title last season! He's great.

that's good to hear. took him forever but I'm glad he finally arrived at your club, always felt like he could've been the best striker in the world if everything would've worked out just a little bit better.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
If we played super well on Sunday and beat Sunderland with our current crop I wonder if minds would change about our season.

It could happen

Manager

Chambers at 19 just started our most important game, in terms of financial impact, of the whole season.

Ask yourself if that would happen at City and you have your answer.

But he's still a backup yes to the other two? City played Nastasic, 19 y/o, 21 starts in the 12/13 season. 13 times last season but heavily injured.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Dash?

SOUND THE YURT KLAXON

YUUUUURT!!!!!

C'mon do it for our mutual love for Allegri

lol

Dash, reddit's soccer community usually has threads for most games. There's usually some good information there.

Thanks buddy

edit
wizwig is your answer m8

holy fuck my man I found it, it says there'll be 10 broadcasts I really hope at least 1 will work (says it'll appear 1 hour before the match, which starts in 3 hours)

I wonder if it works through the Xbox One's browser or PS4/Ps3's one..
it would rock watching it on the telly but even my old macbook pro will do... god I hope we'll be all set.
I will love you forever if so you magnificent bastard

Lightning

Banned
No one will become as good instantly, but the youngsters fit City's tactics perfectly (compared to a Negredo for example) and played it since the age of what, 10-12? Add that City will have one of the best scouting teams on the planet to find the best youngsters. The best infrastructure in the world and some of the best academy directors in the world, stolen from Barca etc. Insane money put into this.

Take Lopes for example, if he gets in as an extra winger they'll still have Silva, Nasri and Navas before him. But he'll be there, train with them, and get his chance at the end of the match here and there and only get better. If he's good enough, that is.

I guess strikers in particular are difficult to get through academies, neither City or Chelsea could handle Sturridge and the strikers are so relying on form.

I think that in future, it will be similar with what Chelsea are doing. You loan them out until they're 21-22, they'll have plenaty of experience of European football and then you'll put them in your team.
Chelsea done that successfully with their goalie only. Tried it with Lukaku ended up selling, tried it with Kevin De Bryune ended up selling. Chelsea are buying their players, they aren't developing shit.

LTWheels

Youth has no chance at City as long as their owners are willing to pump money into the club. Same at Chelsea.

Why wast the time going through the growing pains when you can just buy up the finished article?

Your fooling yourself otherwise. The only use for your youth is to sell them off to balance the ffp books, ala the Chelsea model.

omgkitty

Essentially. Falcao wants to know for certain that Madrid is a no-go before deciding anything else.

If I were Benzema, I'd be pissed if they signed Falcao. He just signed a new long term contract, and Falcao would start over him pretty much no matter what.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom