• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2014/15 |OT3| Got to be a top 5 worst thread title we've ever had.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Funny you should mention that. United have a worse record of bringing English youngsters through than Man City in the Premier League era. On top of that, Januzaj was the first youth player they'd brought through in general since Welbeck (who not surprisingly was loaned out a few times) as I recall and that was what, 5 years? United's squad was not good last season -- they finished 8th for a reason. When you are a team who is in that area of the table, it makes sense to give some minutes to a younger player who can't be any worse.

7th, get it right.

Iniesta is nowhere near as good as Vidal, Schweinsteiger, Modric or even Toure & Ramsey now imo

I think he was poor last season, but got away with it because Xavi was suffering an even more noticable decline

omgkitty

We should go for Depay if we're that desperate for a winger. Better than anything else we have.

What happened with United going after all these Dutch players? Seems like you guys have gone back to your chickens running around with your head cut off phase like you were last summer with Moyes.

Salvadora

The Invincibles era to now. Arsene said he would bring a core of British players to the club and he has
Yeah thought that was what you meant.

I'm really happy with the moves he's made to that effect so far.

I don't mind having a multicultural element to Arsenal but I'd like the club to have a core of British players

The examples across Europe are slapping you round the gob of teams who are successful based on strong home grown cores. City are trying it, Arsenal have gone back on what they were. Man United,Muinch, Barcelona, Juve, Ajax etc etc

If you think this stickerbook fantasy where smaller clubs are artificially propelled through financial doping is the model everyone should follow you are so lost

In the ideal world, we would cheer for Sheiks and oil tycoons.

Sounds like it's all basically up to the player .

Falcao pls
DbbvUaD.png

Showaddy

I want Depay at Spurs so much. I think it's just because there's a new article about him and Spurs every day. That atop him tearing the Eredivisie a new one.

One thing that worries me is that Depay's stats are almost identical to Chadli's last season in the Eredivisie. How easy is it to look that good in the Dutch league?

From his international games he does seem to have some great qualities though.

L1NETT

Are you an Arsenal fan? I always see you talking about us, but I know you're a Bradford City fan.

I wasn't specifically talking about Arsenal?

Couldn't two shits about them frankly. Talk in here sadly focused on big clubs even when there is nowt happening so may as well join in

In the ideal world, we would cheer for Sheiks and oil tycoons.

In the inevitable Qatar based European Super League that's all you will be able to cheer for

sohois

Funny you should mention that. United have a worse record of bringing English youngsters through than Man City in the Premier League era. On top of that, Januzaj was the first youth player they'd brought through in general since Welbeck (who not surprisingly was loaned out a few times) as I recall and that was what, 5 years? United's squad was not good last season -- they finished 8th for a reason. When you are a team who is in that area of the table, it makes sense to give some minutes to a younger player who can't be any worse.

Of course City have a better record in the premier league era. For many years City had one of the best academies in England, until the injection of a shit ton of money when suddenly no one new came through.

United in recent times have brought through Welbeck, Cleverly and Januzaj and now are giving opportunities to Blackett and Lingard. That United have had relatively few youngsters coming through speaks more to the crap they are producing than them constantly blocking youngsters with new signings.

I was asking because a lot of folks here are saying he can't defend all that well when positioned in the backline. Looked decent at the WC except for some ghastly crosses.

I honestly haven't seen him play besides the WC, but I've read others and LvG say he can play both CB and LB so I'm just assuming he sees him in that role. I'm pretty sure this is our fallback after Vermaelen went to Barca, so filling in the back 3 makes sense.

What happened with United going after all these Dutch players? Seems like you guys have gone back to your chickens running around with your head cut off phase like you were last summer with Moyes.

That was all newspaper talk because of LvG, I doubt we were actually interested in all the Dutch players we've been linked to.

And we've signed 3 more players than Moyes had this time last year.

pulga

Banned
Come on plug, you know what I mean. Surely you have a better understanding of your team than I do, Do you think it could happen? And if it did would Benzema leave/

Are you talking about sending Di Maria one way to bring Falcao in? Who knows, the Di Maria saga is up in the air but I do think he's gonna end up staying. Benz would stay no matter what, he just signed a new contract a couple of weeks ago.

I mean if you're saying that, Ramsey should be considered.

god you people are boring

Clegg

Very few Dutch players, Strootman and Robben excepted, would be of a high enough standard to get United to where they want to be. Guys like Blind would be good squad players, but imo are only that. I suppose we'll go in for one or two Dutch players when the window nears it's en and we're still scrabbling around for players.

Meier

United in recent times have brought through Welbeck, Cleverly and Januzaj and now are giving opportunities to Blackett and Lingard. That United have had relatively few youngsters coming through speaks more to the crap they are producing than them constantly blocking youngsters with new signings.

These players (Blackett and Lingard) only played due to injuries and the World Cup and poor squad management/transfers. That they dropped a home game to a midtable team like Swansea speaks volumes. They will play at most 1 other game this season if that. Cleverley was indeed a year after Welbeck and again, spent a few seasons on loan away first. This is the model that teams typically use -- Sterling was an incredibly rare occurrence and it won't happen regularly at Liverpool again any time soon due to the money that has been spent. Expectations are now higher. You can't have a teenager learning on the job.

Roberts and Woodrow both start for Fulham against Wolves

Roberts to Pool still talked about or was it pure shite?
Is Brighton a fun team to follow in the lower leagues? It's probably more trouble than it's worth since I live in Canada but I want to watch a Championship team play while other leagues aren't.

L1NETT

Is Brighton a fun team to follow in the lower leagues? It's probably more trouble than it's worth since I live in Canada but I want to watch a Championship team play while other leagues aren't.

Team on the up for sure. New stadium, some exciting players. Hypia is an interesting appointment

Certainly duller teams to follow

They also beat Leeds yesterday so I'll give em a thumbs up

omgkitty

He's had one stellar season and a couple of good ones. Vidal's been consistently extraordinary since his last season at Leverkusen.

Well we're talking about right now. This whole "you have to do it for 3 years" shit is dumb. Currently with the way players are playing, you'd have to say Ramsey is one of the best box to box midfielders in the world. I'm not saying he's the best, but he's certainly in the top 5.

Meier

Roberts and Woodrow both start for Fulham against Wolves

Aww, Hyndman not even on the bench after starting the first two games and playing well by all accounts. They did just play a few days ago and he'd played all 180 thus far. Probably a bit too much to expect him to play again immediately at his age.

pulga

Banned
Oh sorry, let's talk about your clubs some more!

Arsenal talk is permitted from 1 am CET when the rest of us fuck off to bed, mmkay?

Seriously, let me put this bluntly: we'll talk about Ramsey being "up there" when he helps Arsenal to win a meaningful title. Fuck, I'll be gracious and slide that down to "help Arsenal out of the eternal fourth place finish". Until then, he has no business being uttered in the same sentence as Modric, Toure, Vidal, etc. True greats.

Ramsey is in fine company with the likes of Pogba and Verratti, but nothing more, yet.

sohois

These players (Blackett and Lingard) only played due to injuries and the World Cup and poor squad management/transfers. That they dropped a home game to a midtable team like Swansea speaks volumes. They will play at most 1 other game this season if that. Cleverley was indeed a year after Welbeck and again, spent a few seasons on loan away first. This is the model that teams typically use -- Sterling was an incredibly rare occurrence and it won't happen regularly at Liverpool again any time soon due to the money that has been spent. Expectations are now higher. You can't have a teenager learning on the job.

Your going way off-point here. United's current situation is irrelevant. The original point was that very successful teams can and do give plenty of first team opportunities to youth players, with the exception of the oil clubs.

When United were successful, they were opportunities given to youth players. Now when Liverpool and Arsenal are currently successful, youth players will continue to be given first team games and opportunities. City and Chelsea will almost never do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom