• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2014/15 |OT5| Place for normal, legit banter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think everyone's expecting there to be a next CoD4 or Halo 3 this gen (in terms of being a genre leader/exemplar) and I think they're going to be very disappointed.

When was the last time a game with so much hype flopped as hard as Destiny has? I can't believe this is a Bungie game. What happened?

Flopped in what way?

Sold a fuck-tonne, and while reception has been pretty negative compared to the budget, hype, marketting and track record, plenty of people are enjoying it.

K1LLER7

We won, I sniped the guy just after he killed you so they were 15 points short of 10,000. If he'd killed you with a bonus for headshotting/melee etc, we'd have lost :D

think that's how it happened anyway. Maybe we did lose, in which case, DAMMIT KILLER
Nope, we lost :(

I sacrificed myself as the bait, lured them out and you were still too late. I am disappoint, I hope DC never replies to your message :p

Clegg

The Destiny threads in Gaming makes for interesting reading. Besides poor gameplay design, it looks as if Bungie have forgotten to add enough game to this endeavour. Lots of people complaining about lack of any social features and little to no variation in loot.

Fintan

Does anyone else do the Super Six thing on Soccer Saturday? I do it every week and I think the best I've ever done is like 3/6. I was especially bad last week when it was just League 1 matches.

I think everyone's expecting there to be a next CoD4 or Halo 3 this gen and I think they're going to be very disappointed.
Yeah. I think I'm at least somewhat this way. At least in terms of wanting to be really grabbed by a multiplayer experience.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
The Destiny review thread, i thought at least it would get the dearth of content slanting and get 9s and 10s

My my

Flopped in what way?

Sold a fuck-tonne, and while reception has been pretty negative compared to the budget, hype, marketting and track record, plenty of people are enjoying it.

Critically.

It was always going to sell well and its still a decent game but... I just expected more I suppose.

Yen

I'm out of the loop with the current gaming world. I haven't even played any of the new consoles never mind own one and I'm not sure I'll buy one any time soon (but MGSV could test that)

Something Destiny completely falls flat with is the sense of scale. Pretty skyboxes don't make up for the small maps, and complete lack of indication as to the breadth of the universe.

Interplanetary travel amounts to a 20 second cutscene which is really just a badly hidden load screen, mission locations are cramped, the hub is tiny and there's nothing really to do there, there are no in-game hints as to events unfolding away from your character or the small pieces of backstory which collate to form a real sense of place.

If anyone can recall anything of Destiny's lore aside from the buzzwords, give that person wide berth

Something Destiny completely falls flat with is the sense of scale. Pretty skyboxes don't make up for the small maps, and complete lack of indication as to the breadth of the universe.

Interplanetary travel amounts to a 20 second cutscene which is really just a badly hidden load screen, mission locations are cramped, the hub is tiny and there's nothing really to do there, there are no in-game hints as to events unfolding away from your character or the small pieces of backstory which collate to form a real sense of place.

Funny thing is that all of these points were noticeable from the beta and I'm half shocked that a lot of people failed to detect this based on it.

It's all on No Mans Sky to deliver the first proper next gen sci-fi classic.

While that game looks cool, I still have no idea about the actual gameplay of that thing and how tha will work out, could see it disappointing massively considering the small team and everything.

King_Moc

Banned

If anyone can recall anything of Destiny's lore aside from the buzzwords, give that person wide berth

The grimoire being on a website only and there being no in game chat system are utterly bizarre decisions. All the consoles have keyboard support, right?

Funny thing is that all of these points were noticeable from the beta and I'm half shocked that a lot of people failed to detect this based on it.

I feared it would be the case, but hoped they'd held some stuff back. Alas, the gameplay loop (already tired of that phrase) is exactly the same as that in the beta, and the way the story is presented is probably worse, if anything

Not sure I'd bother finishing it if I was playing with randoms, having a lot of fun playing through it with Killer though

yeah, I wouldn't get your hopes up about that game.

Everything they've said off script makes that game sound boring as fuck.

Hate to admit it but I think you might be right there. It's a huge issue with procedurally generated worlds in games. It's hard to create deep mechanics that keep building when the world is procedurally generated and therefore beyond the designer's control.

Clegg

yeah, I wouldn't get your hopes up about that game.

Everything they've said off script makes that game sound boring as fuck.

While that game looks cool, I still have no idea about the actual gameplay of that thing and how tha will work out, could see it disappointing massively considering the small team and everything.
I'm cautiously optimistic about the game. I'm a sucker for Sci-fi and deep space traversal.

K1LLER7

I feared it would be the case, but hoped they'd held some stuff back. Alas, the gameplay loop (already tired of that phrase) is exactly the same as that in the beta, and the way the story is presented is probably worse, if anything

Not sure I'd bother finishing it if I was playing with randoms, having a lot of fun playing through it with Killer though
Same here m8. Made some good progress today. We both learnt not to drive too close to the cliffs edge innit :p

Don't think we've got too long left with the story missions. I also unlocked the strike missions you were talking about ;)

I just want an MGSV release date.

-

BxVNC8fCQAEf_LI.jpg

Clegg

Really getting into Metro:2033. There's an undercurrent of dread in this game that is very appealing. Works very well with the setting.

That new Alien game looks good too, but I'm worried the Alien itself is going to be heavily scripted. Like when you go into a new area, and it instantly knows where you are :/

Fintan

Silent Hill is way off it seems, but I am interested, if fearing what Kojima might try and do. The PT thing does show a pretty damn good understanding of horror though.
Is there any chance of the full game being in first person? I thought that was very effective in PT.

That new Alien game looks good too, but I'm worried the Alien itself is going to be heavily scripted. Like when you go into a new area, and it instantly knows where you are :/

I completely forgot about that game.

They did say the Alien's behaviour is completely unscripted though.

Is there any chance of the full game being in first person? I thought that was very effective in PT.

Who knows. I somewhat doubt it, with them having that ugly ass twat from the walking dead as the main character though. What I see as most likely is it doing a The Room kind of thing, of being first person at certain places and then otherwise have most of the game in third person. Which is one of the things actually pretty good about The Room.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom