• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2014/15 |OT5| Place for normal, legit banter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Juz

Go Arsenal
rbt0ncz.png

Wilbur

Banned
Ronay is such a wonderful writer. Self indulgence that doesn't come across as annoying.

Agree with the article. Unfortunately it's hard to make a brilliant case against Rooney because his output has remained consistently excellent; I can't think of many players who would perform as poorly as he did last season and still contribute directly to 40 goals.

But maybe the tables are turning; as long as Sturridge outperforms him at club level, as long as Sterling looks a better fit for behind the striker, as long as Falcao and RVP do the business at United the less support Rooney will have from the media. It angered me how very little people commented on his performances last year, so if there are people doing the job better than he does it should give the media better impetus to do it.

LTWheels

Fuck, FUCK:

@BBCSport: Liverpool striker Daniel Sturridge to have a scan after feeling an injury during England training. More soon. #LFC http://t.co/eQJHXNerHv

Please be bad enough to keep him out of England, but recover in time for club.

Ronay is such a wonderful writer. Self indulgence that doesn't come across as annoying.

Agree with the article. Unfortunately it's hard to make a brilliant case against Rooney because his output has remained consistently excellent; I can't think of many players who would perform as poorly as he did last season and still contribute directly to 40 goals.

But maybe the tables are turning; as long as Sturridge outperforms him at club level, as long as Sterling looks a better fit for behind the striker, as long as Falcao and RVP do the business at United the less support Rooney will have from the media. It angered me how very little people commented on his performances last year, so if there are people doing the job better than he does it should give the media better impetus to do it.

If he is happy he seems to do really good. If he is not, he looks like a ghost.

Now I just don't know what makes him happy vs. unhappy

Arnie

I would describe myself as a power doughnut.

Having one of those never ending poos at work but can't enjoy it because I've got a mountain of work to conquer and the pub is calling.

Fuming about Sturridge, to be expected though. Lad's fragile as it is, put him in a Hodgson training drill and I'll be buoyant if he lives to tell the tale.

If he misses any club time it gives us a chance to see Balotelli, Sterling, Markovic.

Hixx

This is really getting on my giblets. Wanted to go to Burnley but they sold out again. Thought with 4k tickets I'd have had a good chance.

Wilbur

Banned
This is really getting on my giblets. Wanted to go to Burnley but they sold out again. Thought with 4k tickets I'd have had a good chance.

Must be really difficult getting tickets for away games. I understand why it's the case, but always disappoints me that I can't get tickets to go see us play QPR or West Ham in London as easily as I can at home. Like I say, I know why that is and obviously season ticket holders should have priority, but it just works out so much cheaper than me having to get trains and accommodation if they're night matches and whatnot. Going to see us play Bayern probably cost me 150-200 quid when I factored in food and drink and shit.

English media looks so delusional to me when it comes to English players, they'll just dish out against LvG and Falcao instead.

I don't think Rooney's current plight has anything to do with desire or unhappiness.

Why would he be unhappy? I think he's very happy. His personal life is more settled than it's ever been. His career is secure. He is captain of club and country.

And his desire is one thing about him I wouldn't question. Yes he can be indisciplined and arrogant but he works hard, he is a committed player even if he is not necessarily bound to the cause.

He's just not as good as he used to be, it's really that simple for me. Rooney always had some of the flaws he has now, the inconsistent touch, a tactical recklessness....at one time he was even an inconsistent finisher. He's managed to overcome that last one actually but the others have been aspects of his game he could never overcome, and he needs them now. As Ronay says, he's just not as dynamic as he used to be. He's now a sluggish player who whirrs along. Give him a chance and he'll probably score. Make some space or a clever run and he might find the pass or cross. But everything in between he just can't seem to do anymore.

I don't think he's past the point of return just yet. But if his performances this season don't get much better than maybe that'll be it for him as a player you could look to rely on.

Wilbur

Banned
English media looks so delusional to me when it comes to English players, they'll just dish out against LvG and Falcao instead.

It's genuinely surprising that an article like Ronay's was published in the week Rooney has pulled off the double whammy of England and United captain. So maybe they are prepared to turn on him.

Like I said, he scored and assisted 20 goals each last year, but he's done almost fucking nothing in four games for United and England, goal against Swansea aside. But the acknowledgment has been - prior to new signings - that we're a relatively poor team and he's one of the best players in it, so he really does have to be performing. And he isn't.

edit: agreed with viva. He just isn't as good as he used to be, but he's still being treated as if he is. That's the problem, the contrast between what he actually is capable of performing like and how people still think he's capable of performing as he used to.

I don't think Rooney's current plight has anything to do with desire or unhappiness.

Why would he be unhappy? I think he's very happy. His personal life is more settled than it's ever been. His career is secure. He is captain of club and country.

And his desire is one thing about him I wouldn't question. Yes he can be indisciplined and arrogant but he works hard, he is a committed player even if he is not necessarily bound to the cause.

He's just not as good as he used to be, it's really that simple for me. Rooney always had some of the flaws he has now, the inconsistent touch, a tactical recklessness....at one time he was even an inconsistent finisher. He's managed to overcome that last one actually but the others have been aspects of his game he could never overcome, and he needs them now. As Ronay says, he's just not as dynamic as he used to be. He's now a sluggish player who whirrs along. Give him a chance and he'll probably score. Make some space or a clever run and he might find the pass or cross. But everything in between he just can't seem to do anymore.

I don't think he's past the point of return just yet. But if his performances this season don't get much better than maybe that'll be it for him as a player you could look to rely on.

Do you think he can transition into a midfield player?

on the subject of away games, 3Sixty can I just turn up at St Marys for the Chelsea game or cause it is a big team is it usually full? I know when we played you in the FA Cup two years ago it was mostly empty! I think i'll head down if I can just grab a ticket.

No. Not a good one anyway. He can't pass.

Like yeah he can play an amazing 60 yard pass or a great through ball now and then. But he can't pass the ball, 9 times out of 10, where it needs to be. He's not a quick and incisive mover of the ball and that's what you need to be a good midfield player.

Like yeah he could do it I guess, it would probably be better than what we've seen there in the last 2 or 3 years if that's what you're after. I don't think he can move position full just like that though, he's not a smart player.

Wilbur

Banned

No. I think everyone envisaged him turning into a Scholes like player because of his eye for goal, his natural talent... but as the article says, his short game isn't good enough. Look at Xavi, or even people like Allen. They're comfortable receiving the ball and giving it on, keeping it going, keeping the play ticking over. Rooney's just a step too slow, his touch a bit too rusty to always be involved in the action.

His absolute best position, as evidenced in the year after Ronaldo left, is up top by himself. He's a remarkably good finisher nowadays, but when he's expected to drop deep and contribute to moves he falters. Which is why I'm worried about Falcao, because he's going to play either up front by himself or be the more advanced of the forwards, and that means Rooney will be playing like a number ten.

No. I think everyone envisaged him turning into a Scholes like player because of his eye for goal, his natural talent... but as the article says, his short game isn't good enough. Look at Xavi, or even people like Allen. They're comfortable receiving the ball and giving it on, keeping it going, keeping the play ticking over. Rooney's just a step too slow, his touch a bit too rusty to always be involved in the action.

His absolute best position, as evidenced in the year after Ronaldo left, is up top by himself. He's a remarkably good finisher nowadays, but when he's expected to drop deep and contribute to moves he falters. Which is why I'm worried about Falcao, because he's going to play either up front by himself or be the more advanced of the forwards, and that means Rooney will be playing like a number ten.

One other aspect of all this however is that with a better team around him, Rooney would probably start to fare better. But he's no longer that guy who going to be a driving force in the team, almost anyway, as I said I'd give it this year.

Wouldn't be massively surprising to me if with Falcao and RVP playing well, Di Maria and co doing the running...that he can deliver. Because he is a good footballer at the end of the day, of course with flaws but the guy does have some serious natural talent.

Wilbur

Banned
One other aspect of all this however is that with a better team around him, Rooney would probably start to fare better. But he's no longer that guy who going to be a driving force in the team, almost anyway, as I said I'd give it this year.

Wouldn't be massively surprising to me if with Falcao and RVP playing well, Di Maria and co doing the running...that he can deliver. Because he is a good footballer at the end of the day, of course with flaws but the guy does have some serious natural talent.

Yeah, absolutely. Just wish he hadn't been made captain. Makes him more important than he should be, because LVG seems to place a lot of responsibility in the role. If he was just a cog in a great team, he'd be much better. But if we start faltering and there's a few problems to address, I dare say he'll be one of the least likely to suffer immensely just because of his stature at the club now.

3Sixty

on the subject of away games, 3Sixty can I just turn up at St Marys for the Chelsea game or cause it is a big team is it usually full? I know when we played you in the FA Cup two years ago it was mostly empty! I think i'll head down if I can just grab a ticket.

I'd expect it to be sold out to be honest. Especially as its over xmas.

Let me know nearer the time and i should be able to grab you one.

I'm probably the only one who thinks he can here. He needs to improve his short passing and he has the talent to do so. Wanting to is the problem.

Rooney started to suck when he decided to not run through the defence anymore. It was the thing he was most brilliant at; but it was also too easy to goad him into doing something brash while he was doing so.

If he kept at it, and learn how to control from not fouling in the process, he would be world class. Right now he's just the best in England, which as you can see is not saying much.

Anyway while I love Rumbo from I've seen, kinda sad to see that he's more of the poster boy of our transfer window when it's fucking Di Maria we should be really ecstatic about. He was so fantastic in that friendly, and pretty much one of the top 5 players at the moment. Real could've won another CL if he kept playing for them easy.

Even so I still think it'd be hard for us to get into the top 4. We are pretty much remaking the team from top to bottom and it will take some time for them to gel.

Yeah, absolutely. Just wish he hadn't been made captain. Makes him more important than he should be, because LVG seems to place a lot of responsibility in the role. If he was just a cog in a great team, he'd be much better. But if we start faltering and there's a few problems to address, I dare say he'll be one of the least likely to suffer immensely just because of his stature at the club now.

I've always felt that the best captain for United these days should be someone from the center or the back. We need a more commanding role there.

3Sixty

oh cheers! i'm likely to go if I can get a ticket.

Yeah remind me nearer the time and i'll try and hook you up.

I don't have any loyalty points this season though :(

---

In other news. Please tell me its true Balotelli kicked someone in the head in a friendly today.

Yeah remind me nearer the time and i'll try and hook you up.

I don't have any loyalty points this season though :(

---

In other news. Please tell me its true Balotelli kicked someone in the head in a friendly today.

I haven't even got my membership yet. A friend of my Dad gives us enough tickets I can't be assed to get one! Also that Balotelli story is meant to be twitter bullshit.

No. Not a good one anyway. He can't pass.

Like yeah he can play an amazing 60 yard pass or a great through ball now and then. But he can't pass the ball, 9 times out of 10, where it needs to be. He's not a quick and incisive mover of the ball and that's what you need to be a good midfield player.

Like yeah he could do it I guess, it would probably be better than what we've seen there in the last 2 or 3 years if that's what you're after. I don't think he can move position full just like that though, he's not a smart player.

Thanks guys. You are more knowledgeable on football than me, interesting to heart this..

I am also very curious to see how we form up with Falcao now because his goal scoring record is tremendous.

Yen

Just asked me mam when I enroll for class this year. Her response is interrupted by my phone buzzing - an email telling me when I enroll for class.
iLyFDpUOiXR21.png

Great piece on Rooney by Barney Ronay

He basically says everything I could want to on the Rooney situation but with less invective.

Great stuff.

88 in FIFA tho. Also, "endomorphic power-doughnut template" is great.

lool

@LiverpoolData: Mario Balotelli reportedly kicked a Wolves player in the head and got subbed off in a closed friendly today. http://t.co/70HgI0ttVN

Well he's got big shoes to fill, his biting coaches must be working overtime to get him into shape.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom