• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2014/15 |OT5| Place for normal, legit banter

Status
Not open for further replies.

G17

Same! TSN now with 5 channels and Sportsnet with a fee too means we got better coverage than actual british people lol.

Really loving the coverage in Canada with all the TSN channels. Don't have Sportsnet so I might miss a few premier league and Leafs games but happy overall.

Wilbur

Banned
if you're going to spend over forty million pounds on a player, at least have the decency to play him in his favourite position.

Ah, but that's a different point though isn't it?

The question isn't 'should he be playing in his favourite position?', because the answer is yes. The question is 'why, when played anywhere but his favourite position - this anywhere being a theoretical shift fifteen yards left or right - , is he incapable of influencing a football match?'

jtb

Banned

The question isn't 'should he be playing in his favourite position?', because the answer is yes. The question is 'why, when played anywhere but his favourite position - this anywhere being a theoretical shift fifteen yards left or right - , is he incapable of influencing a football match?'

.... because he's being played out of position?

he's a player that creates, not one that takes people on. therefore, put him in a role where he can create and doesn't need to take people on.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Why do Juve hate Inter? How can you hate someone with Thohir as president? Why do Parma hate Juventus? Why is Serie A so beautiful. Why Yurt.

tumblr_nc4z0be6sE1r30r4xo3_250.gif

because Marchisio.

He's an attacking midfielder. Playing him out wide shouldn't neuter his ability so much as to be incapable of playing football.

Except it doesn't. He's had many good games coming in from the right onto his left foot.

Playing him wide left like an orthodox winger is what people are taking issue with.

Wilbur

Banned
My favourite position is doggy but I don't always get to do it and I still give it a bloody good go in every other position

And I usually have an end product

Yep.

We all know Ozil is one of the best no.10s but he should least be able to do something worthwhile out wide.

Instead he becomes detrimental. Young-like.

There is a difference though. Wide players have to do more defensive work so they aren't always in a better position to influence the attack compared to the #10. The #10 also has attacking options to his right and left while the wide player only has options on one side. The wide player also sees less of the ball and can't roam like a #10 can.

If you're going to play Ozil out wide, it has to be on the right wing.

Wilbur you're having a shocker. Would you defend Falcao if he played like shit on the wing?

You defended Welbeck playing like shit pretty much anywhere he played, with no end product other than funny gifs

Wilbur

Banned
.... because he's being played out of position?

he's a player that creates, not one that takes people on. therefore, put him in a role where he can create and doesn't need to take people on.

Except it doesn't. He's had many good games coming in from the right onto his left foot.

Playing him wide left like an orthodox winger is what people are taking issue with.

He can't create from out wide? Like Hazard or Silva?

And when was the last time Wenger played with orthodox wingers :lol, Overmars maybe?

jtb

Banned

And when was the last time Wenger played with orthodox wingers :lol, Overmars maybe?

Gervinho, Walcott, Ox

he can create out wide, he's just not as good as he would be in the middle—which is further unbalanced because he's a defensive liability on the wing

Yurt

il capo silenzioso

Hazard's best position is wide, because he's fast and he is good at dribbling cunts

Wilbur

Banned
There is a difference though. Wide players have to do more defensive work so they aren't always in a better position to influence the attack compared to the #10. The #10 also has attacking options to his right and left while the wide player only has options on one side. The wide player also sees less of the ball and can't roam like a #10 can.

If you're going to play Ozil out wide, it has to be on the right wing.

I know this, but I don't think Ozil should be provided the luxury of having to avoid defensive diligence because Arsenal - as a collective - aren't a very solid defensive unit from the midfield up. Having someone who gets off with doing fuck all defensively because "he's a number ten" is an alien concept to me.

Wilbur you're having a shocker. Would you defend Falcao if he played like shit on the wing?

You defended Welbeck playing like shit pretty much anywhere he played, with no end product other than funny gifs

Welbeck played like shit whether he was a striker or a winger. There wasn't much notable difference. There is in Ozil's play.

And I believe there's also a difference between a striker playing that position and attacking left, and attacking centre playing attacking left.

if you played Falcao on the wing, he'd be shit. who gives a shit? don't play him on the wing.

See above.

I wouldn't play Rio Ferdinand out wide in a Manchester United 4-4-2. And yet, the way Wenger plays, with non-traditional wingers and overlapping full backs, I don't think Ozil playing out wide is on paper a fucking horrendous idea. Yet he makes it appear so every time he does it.

bud

i get what you're saying. and i don't think he's been completely awful on the flanks; it's just that that's not where his strengths lie.

has he been consistently great since he joined arsenal? no, but i don't think that's been entirely his fault.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom