• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2014/2015 |OT10| -Proud Of Our Heritage-

Status
Not open for further replies.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Apart from the Hibbert penalty, Shaw hasn't has a bad game for us yet.

Needs to stop breaking himself tho.

LVG hates him. He was bought before he got there and only played when they got down a skeleton crew. He'll be offloaded in a few years if he doesn't have a spectacular season.

Linius

Congrats.

What's the extra P for?

EL gon be gud.

Ajax, Liverpool, Zenit, Olympiakos, Sporting, Roma, Bilbao, Spurs in addition to whatever it is there now.

Oh yeah, brainfart. EL :p

I'm glad we won't get Roma in the next round. Hope we can get Spurs or Everton. Should be a fun match up and doable teams for us.

Few things to consider

The team is split in the main between 2 groups, players who are causing us to play badly, and players whose own performances are suffering because of the other group.

The first group contains the likes of Mignolet, Allen, Lovren, Lambert, Balotelli, Gerrard, Skrtel, Henderson.

The second imo comprises of Sterling, Coutinho, Moreno, Manquillo.

Maybe I'm just imposing my own bias there, but that's how I see it. Sterling has put in poor performances for sure, but we're making it fucking difficult for him to show his ability. Striker doesn't hold the ball up for long enough for him to run in behind. Striker doesn't make runs to drag defenders away from him, meaning he is constantly double or triple-marked. Midfield don't offer him short passes or one-twos. Attacking with so little pace, he has to slow his own runs down to stay near the play. Playing him on the left all the time, and not making the tactical moves necessary to allow him to run inside on his right.

All the while, we expect him to drag us to looking decent in attack, while doing nothing to help him do that.

And in general, we're going nowhere. Even aside from the money, there are many clubs who would probably give him a better platform to develop his game than we're doing at the moment.

Clegg

LVG hates him. He was bought before he got there and only played when they got down a skeleton crew. He'll be offloaded in a few years if he doesn't have a spectacular season.
Pls

Already gotten that seal of approval. Pizza Hut and Nandos love him.

KidJr

Few things to consider

The team is split in the main between 2 groups, players who are causing us to play badly, and players whose own performances are suffering because of the other group.

The first group contains the likes of Mignolet, Allen, Lovren, Lambert, Balotelli, Gerrard, Skrtel, Henderson.

Maybe I'm just imposing my own bias there, but that's how I see it. Sterling has put in poor performances for sure, but we're making it fucking difficult for him to show his ability. Striker doesn't hold the ball up for long enough for him to run in behind. Striker doesn't make runs to drag defenders away from him, meaning he is constantly double or triple-marked. Midfield don't offer him short passes or one-twos. Attacking with so little pace, he has to slow his own runs down to stay near the play. Playing him on the left all the time, and not making the tactical moves necessary to allow him to run inside on his right.

All the while, we expect him to drag us to looking decent in attack, while doing nothing to help him do that.

And in general, we're going nowhere. Even aside from the money, there are many clubs who would probably give him a better platform to develop his game than we're doing at the moment.

Thats true but then you sit down and think about it, where does he go?

Man U... he's not getting into the team (full strength)

Chelsea... they wouldnt spend the money for a player that is a marginal upgrade on Oscar

Arsenal... wouldnt spend the money and it'd be stupid (we literally have four players all fighting for that same position)

Real Madrid... doesnt even come close to Isco who cant get into the first team.

Barca... Not getting into the team

PSG... probably the only place I can think that he'd fit in and have the money to pay him.

And if Liverpool arnt playing him 70k I think he'd struggle to get more from an Italian team sooooo yeah I dont know where he would actually go who can pay the money for him and his ages that is a step up from liverpool.

Thats true but then you sit down and think about it, where does he go?

Man U... he's not getting into the team (full strength)

Chelsea... they wouldnt spend the money for a player that is a marginal upgrade on Oscar

Arsenal... wouldnt spend the money and it'd be stupid (we literally have four players all fighting for that same position)

Real Madrid... doesnt even come close to Isco who cant get into the first team.

Barca... Not getting into the team

PSG... probably the only place I can think that he'd fit in and have the money to pay him.

And if Liverpool arnt playing him 70k I think he'd struggle to get more from an Italian team sooooo yeah I dont know where he would actually go who can pay the money for him and his ages that is a step up from liverpool.

Sterling would not be an upgrade over Oscar or play in his position at Chelsea. Now him even with his recent form taking over Willians position on the right... That's more like it. Also Chelsea desperately needs English players in the team. Not saying it will happen, but Chelsea has been rumored to be interested before and it would make sense, for a not too crazy price.

Few things to consider

Stop thinking about Liverpool for a couple of days, Hitch.

KidJr

I don't see what this has to do with anything but ok.

In fact this is rather close to a WAYNE ROONEY

I thought someone was trying to justify paying him a 130k a week by mentioning he hasnt put in a bad performance. Was just merely stating gibbs who has been nothing more than solid has performed better in the games they have played.

I'm just making a point of how retarded it is to pay Luke Shaw 130k a week. I cant believe that ever got sanctioned.

Sterling would not be an upgrade over Oscar or play in his position at Chelsea. Now him even with his recent form taking over Willians position on the right... That's more like it. Also Chelsea desperately needs English players in the team. Not saying it will happen, but Chelsea has been rumored to be interested before and it would make sense, for a not too crazy price.

West London lad too. Well, North West London - but close enough.

Raheem is coming home.

Stop thinking about Liverpool for a couple of days, Hitch.

I've been trying

Hopefully I'll forget about our match and sleep through it

Gametime is the thing that we offer above the clubs he'd want to move to,and hopefully that's enough if we can agree on the wages. Really though, playing with Lambert or Balotelli must be depressing after playing with Suarez and Sturridge last year. They're dreadful.

Clegg

I thought someone was trying to justify paying him a 130k a week by mentioning he hasnt put in a bad performance. Was just merely stating gibbs who has been nothing more than solid has performed better in the games they have played.

I'm just making a point of how retarded it is to pay Luke Shaw 130k a week. I cant believe that ever got sanctioned.
In normal circumstances Id agree. It's stupid money but United were in a hole and needed to spend money to make a statement. Shaw is one of the outstanding young talents of his generation and will be worth the fee eventually.

Shaw has been a lot more than just solid for United as well. Dodgy game against Everton aside he's be strong at the back and electric going forward.

KidJr

I think Willians pace and power is really under rated, but your right stirling probably is an upgrade but it's still not worth the money especially when you can get Rues for what ever his stupidly low buy-out clause is. Promote a couple guys from the academy to fulfill your english quota. You'd think that liverpool would want what £45 million minimum probably closer to £50/£60 million... I could only see PSG paying that plus wages and being able to accomadate him. I really just cant see a big club shelling out that kind of cash especially when he hasnt been in the form of last season. (thats not to discredit Stirling, I think still a very very good player but still learning his trade)

I also forgot to mention Bayren they're ofc theyre a big club but a fully fit Bayren I'm not even sure Stirling makes the bench.

I think Willians pace and power is really under rated, but your right stirling probably is an upgrade but it's still not worth the money especially when you can get Rues for what ever his stupidly low buy-out clause is. Promote a couple guys from the academy to fulfill your english quota. You'd think that liverpool would want what £45 million minimum probably closer to £50/£60 million... I could only see PSG paying that plus wages and being able to accomadate him. I really just cant see a big club shelling out that kind of cash especially when he hasnt been in the form of last season. (thats not to discredit Stirling, I think still a very very good player but still learning his trade)

I also forgot to mention Bayren they're ofc theyre a big club but a fully fit Bayren I'm not even sure Stirling makes the bench.

Not really been taking this whole Sterling story seriously (not sure there is even a story tbh) but allow me to dip in for a moment.

Why haven't you mentioned Man City? They would the most obvious link to me. Young, English, forward with pace and goals.

Fulfils all their needs.

You know, Chelsea might very well not be able to get Reus. Not because of money problems but because he wishes to go to one of the other many clubs that wants him.

Again, I'm not arguing that it will certainly happen, I am saying it isn't completely illogical as your post made it out to be.

Also lol at promoting youth players, this is Chelsea bae.

KidJr

In normal circumstances Id agree. It's stupid money but United were in a hole and needed to spend money to make a statement. Shaw is one of the outstanding young talents of his generation and will be worth the fee eventually.

Shaw has been a lot more than just solid for United as well. Dodgy game against Everton aside he's be strong at the back and electric going forward.

Maybe I just dont understand how football works...

I can understand paying almost £30 million, your paying for the potential. I get that, but if you reward a player before he fulfills his potential I think you seriously endanger him loosing motivation to get that big time contract.

I think Brendan said something similar (not that I'm saying Brendan is a exactly a source of inspiration lol) but I think the reason he was so relectant to enter talk last season was because he was like we reward players too quickly and it kills their motivation. Not only that by paying Shaw a 130k you distort the market massively, any young hot property english footballer is now going to be thinking yeah thats what I should be aiming for when I move.

KidJr

Not really been taking this whole Sterling story seriously (not sure there even is a story tbh) but allow me to dip in for a moment.

Why haven't you mentioned Man City? They would the most obvious link to me. Young, English, forward with pace and goals.

Fulfils all their needs.

Shit thought I did. That would actually work. He's better than Navas and Nasri.

Guess my little rants have been pointless lol.

Any of the UK part of the thread taking part?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=949570

Not really been taking this whole Sterling story seriously (not sure there even is a story tbh) but allow me to dip in for a moment.

Fulfils all their needs.

They could exchange him with Scott Sinclair

KidJr

You know, Chelsea might very well not be able to get Reus. Not because of money problems but because he wishes to go to one of the other many clubs that wants him.

Again, I'm not arguing that it will certainly happen, I am saying it isn't completely illogical as your post made it out to be.

Also lol at promoting youth players, this is Chelsea bae.

I think him going to Chelsea would be highly illogical. His good but is he really worth £50 million to them? Most certainly not in my opinion.

Salazar

Not only that by paying Shaw a 130k you distort the market massively, any young hot property english footballer is now going to be thinking yeah thats what I should be aiming for when I move.

Any young hot property English footballer is going to be thinking what their agents are telling them. Which will be utter fucking bullshit no matter where Luke Shaw's wages sit on the spectrum.

Linius

We're already up to 60M€ income from CL. Can't wait for all those 8M€ players we'll sign next summer. YES MARRY.

Lol, I can only dream of signing an 8 million player. We have 100+ on the bank and buy 4 million players tops.

Though on the other hand I can't complain we're getting a striker like Milik basically for free and we got some great youth product walking around at the moment.

Clegg

I can understand paying almost £30 million, your paying for the potential. I get that, but if you reward a player before he fulfills his potential I think you seriously endanger him loosing motivation to get that big time contract.

I think Brendan said something similar (not that I'm saying Brendan is a exactly a source of inspiration lol) but I think the reason he was so relectant to enter talk last season was because he was like we reward players too quickly and it kills their motivation. Not only that by paying Shaw a 130k you distort the market massively, any young hot property english footballer is now going to be thinking yeah thats what I should be aiming for when I move.
Other clubs were in for Shaw too. United's was simply the best offer. It's not like we were the only club in for him and said take this 100k+ per week. There was a competition for his signature and the fee rose.

Of course Shaw is not worth 30 million, or 130k per week yet, but this is probably the worst generation of England players for quite some time. Having someone with quality at a league where having a number of English players is a requirement is good investment.

Zabojnik

Lol, I can only dream of signing an 8 million player. We have 100+ on the bank and buy 4 million players tops.

Though on the other hand I can't complain we're getting a striker like Milik basically for free and we got some great youth product walking around at the moment.

#WeeClubBros

"I don't think any of the big teams are out of the Champions League now... maybe Liverpool," Mourinho added.

"But all the teams that want to win the competition, they're all in the competition."

"We have also Liverpool, Tottenham and Everton in the Europa League, so I wish them good too."

Not worried in the slightest about Shaw.

Just feels like such a shaw bet.

I'm surprised we shelled out like that on a full back though. Probably the least important position.

Not worried in the slightest about Shaw.

Just feels like such a shaw bet.

That's terrible.
Iuh8WF0.png

KidJr

Other clubs were in for Shaw too. United's was simply the best offer. It's not like we were the only club in for him and said take this 100k+ per week. There was a competition for his signature and the fee rose.

It was between you and Chelsea for Shaw. Liverpool werent paying that for LB they had prioirties and Arsenal werent even in the mix.

And Morinhio said:

“Because when you pay that much to a 19-year-old kid – a good player, fantastic player – but when you pay that amount of money, the next day, we would have had players knocking on our door.

“They would have been saying, ‘How is it possible I play 200 games for this club, won this and that, yet a 19-year-old comes here and gets more money than I get?’

And this is Chelsea were talking about.

Like I said the fee I can understand but not those wages man. But each to their own I guess.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
The Hobbit in 20 mins and I'm late and stuck in traffic

I have everyone's tickets with me

Sensational

Its worth mentioning that one of FSG's main things around the time they hired Rodgers was a plan to shift our wage structure to being more performance based, and to stop offering mega-wages to players who hadn't, or no longer were earning them.

They've seen first hand what happens when you start letting wages get out of control, with Carroll, Downing, Johnson, Reina, Adam etc being on huge wages and offering us very little in return. Each of them was being paid at least £40kpw more than their performances were justifying, which adds up to £10m a year of wasted wages, just with those 5 players.

Its why Johnson is leaving at the end of the season, not because he has no place in the squad any more, but because he thinks he's worth more in wages than he is.

Gerrard is a special case, rightly or wrongly. His status at the club is such that he'll never be asked to accept lower wages.

Hixx

Listen Linius maybe I can get on the blower to Congerton and convince him that we should sell Altidore for £6.5m which is about 8m euros, right? Fancy it?

You'll have to convince Ajax to buy him but that's the easy part.

Linius

Listen Linius maybe I can get on the blower to Congerton and convince him that we should sell Altidore for £6.5m which is about 8m euros, right? Fancy it?

You'll have to convince Ajax to buy him but that's the easy part.

You have a wonderful sense of humour m8

Linius

I'm not finding the funny. I would be gutted to see Josmer leave but I just want you to be happy Linius.

I've got a different proposition for you. We have a CB and a striker for you. Moisander, our current captain and CB, can be yours for 5 million euros. Sounds fair right? And then you can take Sigthorsson for 5 million too, see it as a package deal. I'll put them on the same plane so you can save on shipping costs.

I've got a different proposition for you. We have a CB and a striker for you. Moisander, our current captain and CB, can be yours for 5 million euros. Sounds fair right? And then you can take Sigthorsson for 5 million too, see it as a package deal. I'll put them on the same plane so you can save on shipping costs.

Do you want Nani/Young/Little Pea?

It's free and we'll cover the shipping.

Hixx

We've had our fingers burned on Eredivisie shite before Linius. NO DEAL.

And we're going to keep Jozy and send him to Spain now.

Linius

Do you want Nani/Young/Little Pea?

It's free and we'll cover the shipping.

I honestly think Kishna and El Ghazi are already on par/better than Nani and Young. And we still got Fischer, he's coming back early 2015. Interested to see how he'll do after such a long time out. And then we have guys like Muric and El Idrissi in our youth/reserves team. We've got quite a few wingers actually.

We've had our fingers burned on Eredivisie shite before Linius. NO DEAL.

And we're going to keep Jozy and send him to Spain now.

To be fair, you guys buy from the wrong clubs. You should go for the high profile players from Ajax/PSV/Feyenoord rather than Groningen/Heerenveen etc. But the players at the first clubs I named usually go to top four clubs in the big leagues. Sucks to be Sunderland m8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom