• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2014/2015 |OT11| This Is Our Year!

Hixx

Season 2 finale of Homeland is doing my dick in. It's SO BORING. And they made it so long. Fuck this I'm going to bed.

Wii U tomorrow hopefully
Qn7jPOo.png

ATF487

1. Children of Men
2. Godfather 1 and 2
3. The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
4. Annie Hall
5. This Is Spinal Tap
6. Fargo

Not very good with films though, "You haven't seen X?!?" is something that my friends say to me constantly

Hot Fuzz was definitely the best out of the cornetto trilogy.

Hot Fuzz was good the first time you watch it.

Hot Fuzz becomes goat the second time you watch it when you realise almost every piece of dialogue is foreshadowing.

Also fantastic finale with a lot of inside jokes if you've watched a lot of action movies.

Pennywise

Hot Fuzz was like watching a game between teams like Fulham - Reading. I'd rather wank off to Skysport's pundits while laughing about Dortmund's inevitable relegation.

Suen go and penetrate your iphone or tell your parents about Angola or who knows what.

Just don't talk about stuff you have no clue about.
(Well, that's never going to happen with you anyway...)

To be honest I hate film lists because there's so many good movies out there putting a top 5 is criminal.

Most movies you guys have listed would've definitely been in mine.

Craving prospects.

Never a good sign.

As long as they're already good enough to play, having prospects is boss. I'd prefer someone who is definitely ready to slot straight into the first 11 every game, but those guys would either be unwilling to join us, too expensive, or unlikely to improve much

L1NETT

I'm on a Mallick and McQueen kick right now. Wonderful directors.

Hunger tis his best film (well feature film)

Stills in that film are legit bits of art in themselves. Makes sense considering his background

Gonna truck through his short films one of these days

El Topo

Okay, Orange is the New Black is great. Second season as well, even if unfocused and not quite as good as the first one.

True, it's just impossible to know.

Another thing to consider is that with Rodger's dismal transfer record, if we get it wrong it'd be better to get it wrong on a player who will still be worth a lot when we offload him, and is young enough that we're not paying him £100k+ a week

Vietto
Gravelord Neto

Can't think of many suitable centrebacks or DMs who would be available midseason. Not even sure that Vietto is available tbh

Raheem is a prospect. Coutinho was a prospect. Sturridge was a prospect.

Although in a post-Ozil world I see your rationale.

Honestly, I didn'teven regard Sturridge as a prospect even though he was still young.

Thought he was selfish, arrogant, and a waste of past potential, who'd flushed his potential down the toilet when he joined Chelsea.

Wonder how good he'd be now if he hadn't spent so long on the bench (if that) between 18 and 22.

wedward

Raheem is a prospect. Coutinho was a prospect. Sturridge was a prospect.

Although in a post-Ozil world I see your rationale.

I definitely still get excited about prospects, I was about Chambers. Have come to realize its near impossible to predict how players will perform when coming to the premier league.

Arnie

I definitely still get excited about prospects, I was about Chambers. Have come to realize its near impossible to predict how players will perform when coming to the premier league.
Chambers hadn't really done anything, though. I suppose a case by case basis is necessary. Rather than lumping the signings of anyone below the age of 23 into a pejorative sub-group.

For all intensive purposes this Vietto lad has been shining in La Liga this season, after arriving with great praise from Argentina. Our link to him is probably nonsense but there's a reason why a few clubs are sniffing around him. You buy now and you might treble your money in four years, and get a hell of a player to boot.

Chambers was absurd because his value isn't skyrocketing (you bought him for a premium) and he's not demonstrated the sort of consistency or talent Arsenal need in defence.

Just doesn't really make much sense, especially if he's going to be one of five defenders.

arkon

Finished the movie part of my GAF 50/50 challenge and I'm now halfway through my last book. Cutting it close but I should finish that off on Wednesday.

Hard to believe I've watched 50 new-to-me movies. I normally don't get to double digits in a year.

Suen

Suen go and penetrate your iphone or tell your parents about Angola or who knows what.

Just don't talk about stuff you have no clue about.
(Well, that's never going to happen with you anyway...)
Penny I feel insulted and hurt. I sincerely believed that we shared a strong friendship.

Did anyone actually believe that Thorgan was more promising than Eden?

Buying young defenders for big money is somthing I'd try and avoid unless they're attacking fullbacks.

Overall it seems like defenders are all over the place these days in the main. They can be average at 22, great at 25. They can be great at 20, shit at 23. They can have a poor game, then be targetted and go on to be shite for ages as they're seen as a weak spot. They can be great one season, move to a new club and be utterly horrendous.

If you get it right though, you're set for years. I don't even know any more how clubs judge defenders. You buy one with all the right stats, and they fall apart in a different unit and coaching setup. You spend £50m on a shit one because they look assured when they bring the ball out of defense.

Buying defenders has become the new buying strikers from Holland

TrueBlue

Footygaf please tell me your five favourite movies

Die Hard
Pulp Fiction
Star Wars: Empire Strikes Back
The Dark Knight
Lion King

I'm aware some of these films aren't exactly the most acclaimed, but they'll always stick with me.

Then again, when it comes to favourite movies, that changes depending on the mood I guess.

Edit: Thorgan nooooo. I wanted to see him play alongside Eden at least once.

Yen

Die Hard
Pulp Fiction
Star Wars: Empire Strikes Back
The Dark Knight
Lion King

I'm aware some of these films aren't exactly the most acclaimed, but they'll always stick with me.

Then again, when it comes to favourite movies, that changes depending on the mood I guess.

Edit: Thorgan nooooo. I wanted to see him play alongside Eden at least once.

m8 u just chose five of the most acclaimed films of all time

jts

...hate me...
The Matrix
The Usual Suspects
Fargo
Fight Club
Eternal Sunshine of The Spotless Mind

I'll be forgetting some great ones so I'll stop it here. These are not the best 5 movies but 5 of the best.

South Park the movie
Interstellar - Yes I liked it that much, although I can see why people don't
Batman Begins (BB or TDKR, hard to pick)
Return of the King (could pick any though, really)
Jurassic Park

Top Bottom