• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2016/17 & Offseason |OT2| Wenger In Fam! Wenger Out Blud!

At least people got their moneys worth, and I bet those tickets weren't cheap.

Oh they weren't. I was too late to consider the Barcelona vs Juventus match in NJ, and when I checked, there wasn't a ticket below $150. And those tickets were like on the top most corner of the stadium.

Icolin

Banned
DF8-a0uW0AIEU8K.jpg

Two of the GOATs.

https://twitter.com/LuisSuarez9/status/891499905122021378

T-Rex.

Banned
I couldn't watch the Liverpool match, how was mane yesterday? Pace and touch?
Doesn't look like the injury hampered his pace or acceleration which is a relief. Obviously he was rusty cos it's pre-season and he's just come back from injury, but that's to be expected.

Sciel

edit:Official translation Manchester United - Matic close to an agreement despite Juventus' interest
Matic-United are close to an agreement. The Serbian midfielder has decided that he should play for the Red Devils next year, happy to be under José Mourinho's orders once again since both of them were at Chelsea a couple years ago. Contacts between the club and the player continue even if Juventus were also interested in him as they saw Matic as one of the ideal reinforcements for their midfield. Mourinho has made a decisive move while Juventus hasn't done a lot to find alternatives; as there are a lot of difficulties for Emre Can since Liverpool don't want to lose him, they are going after N'Zonzi and Matuidi: the PSG player is the main target now.

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/reddevils/..._united_matic_one_step_away_from_the/dkx3wd1/
Translated From: http://gianlucadimarzio.com/it/manc...laccordo-il-serbo-piaceva-anche-alla-juventus
So apparently Man Utd are close to signing Matic now. If we sell Fellaini (which supposedly is happening according to the rumors), I think we'll need another central midfielder.

To compete, I think we still need another attacking option. On paper it looks like we have the worst attacking options amongst the Top 5 (Spurs/City/Chelsea/Arsenal).

T-Rex.

Banned
So apparently Man Utd are close to signing Matic now. If we sell Fellaini (which supposedly is happening according to the rumors), I think we'll need another central midfielder.

To compete, I think we still need another attacking option. On paper it looks like we have the worst attacking options amongst the Top 5 (Spurs/City/Chelsea/Arsenal).
that'sbait.gif

Give me my £50m for a bloke who wants out and is 29 on Tuesday, doubling our money and giving us £10m more than his replacement cost and I wont mind.

I do think United are going to the biggest competition for the title this season for whoever else is up there

Sciel

Give me my £50m for a bloke who wants out and is 29 on Tuesday, doubling our money and giving us £10m more than his replacement cost and I wont mind.

I do think United are going to the biggest competition for the title this season for whoever else is up there
Fee is apparently closer to 40m but yeah its still a lot of money for a 29yo.

Personally I don't like the deal but Mourinho has his favourites ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ .

Fee is apparently closer to 40m but yeah its still a lot of money for a 29yo.

Personally I don't like the deal but Mourinho has his favourites ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ .

Talk was we demanded £50m. Cant see us accepting £40m but I could be wrong, club will know United just like to spunk money so think we'd be able to squeeze whatever we wanted out of them

sammex

Doesn't look like the injury hampered his pace or acceleration which is a relief. Obviously he was rusty cos it's pre-season and he's just come back from injury, but that's to be expected.

His injury was to the cartilage so shouldn't have any affect on his pace. Should be no long term problems at all (apart from early onset osteoarthritis but that'd be like in his 40s/50s).

I think he is a week or two behind the rest of the team in terms of fitness, he only started joining in with them after they got back from Hong Kong.

Talk was we demanded £50m. Cant see us accepting £40m but I could be wrong, club will know United just like to spunk money so think we'd be able to squeeze whatever we wanted out of them

No way chelsea will accept 40m, Juventus have offered close to that already and we didn't deal.
Chelsea will wait until the last few days, announce that the deal to juventus is almost done and then united will panic buy for 65m.
40-50m is insane given his age but i'm sure chelsea will be thrilled despite him leaving for man.u

T-Rex.

Banned
His injury was to the cartilage so shouldn't have any affect on his pace. Should be no long term problems at all (apart from early onset osteoarthritis but that'd be like in his 40s/50s).

I think he is a week or two behind the rest of the team in terms of fitness, he only started joining in with them after they got back from Hong Kong.
Yeah, but I was still worried though cos our players never really recover that great from injuries. On the bright side Phil and Salah seem to have a really good understanding so even if Mane is a bit rusty at the start it won't have as much of an impact as Mane being off it/not available did last season.

Pachimari

Apparently there's rumors of Rafa Benitez wanting Lucas Vasquez? I wouldn't mind such a transfer, especially if it can give the boy more playing minutes, since Asensio will be ahead of him this season.

Also, I hope we don't loan out Kovacic. This boy is a gem.

CrayToes

Signing a 29 year old Matic for £40m is the most Mourinho signing ever. Utd will probably get 1 or 2 really good seasons out of him though and he's an improvement over what they already have in that position.

The fact that Chelsea spent less than that on Baka & Kante respectively puts it in to perspective though.

Syder

post that gif to those who pay much more than that to watch the carny in your avatar "fight" the other carny
I expect most people paying to get into the arena are extremely rich or get complex because it's going to be a Mecca for celebrities.

Paying stupid money to watch a meaningless pre-season game makes no sense when it would literally be cheaper to fly to Madrid or Barcelona to watch a Clásico.

I expect most people paying to get into the arena are extremely rich or get complex because it's going to be a Mecca for celebrities.

Paying stupid money to watch a meaningless pre-season game makes no sense when it would literally be cheaper to fly to Madrid or Barcelona to watch a Clásico.

Out of curiosity, what kinda prices do Classici tickets usually go for? Bet scalpers and scammers have a field day.

Syder

Out of curiosity, what kinda prices do Classici tickets usually go for? Bet scalpers and scammers have a field day.
From my experience, scalped tickets can be like €150 upwards (for nosebleeds usually), and for the best seats the sky's the limit really. Having a good connection you might get a good deal but you could be looking €500-2000+ depending on what exactly you want and how late you leave it to get tickets.

cromofo

Our most trusted ITK says Sigurdsson is in the bag and Giroud wants to join.

Siggy and Giroud is like a match made in heaven. Would be great.

Still lack pace tho.

You can't put a price on Neymar's last game in a Barca shirt.

Syder

Apparently, the releases/sales of Randolph, Fletcher, Arbeloa, Calleri, Nordtveit, Valencia, Töre and now Feghouli will us save almost half a million a week in wages; that's a lot of money on not much return. Makes a lot of sense that we've attained the services of Zabaleta, Hart, Arnautović and Hernández now. Last Summer looks like a bigger and bigger bust every time we making a signing this year, I don't think there's anyone outside the Top 7 making better moves in the transfer market so far.

Best of all, our netspend in 2017 is only about £13.2m; having spent £54.2m and received £41m.

If we could get Sakho and/or Carroll off the books, I'd like to see us go out and get a central midfielder and a centreback*

*Really wish we hadn't let Reece Oxford go out on-loan, could've been a decent back up option.

Beefy

Apparently, the releases/sales of Randolph, Fletcher, Arbeloa, Calleri, Nordtveit, Valencia, Töre and now Feghouli will us save almost half a million a week in wages; that's a lot of money on not much return. Makes a lot of sense that we've attained the services of Zabaleta, Hart, Arnautović and Hernández now. Last Summer looks like a bigger and bigger bust every time we making a signing this year, I don't think there's anyone outside the Top 7 making better moves in the transfer market so far.

Best of all, our netspend in 2017 is only about £13.2m; having spent £54.2m and received £41m.

If we could get Sakho and/or Carroll off the books, I'd like to see us go out and get a central midfielder and a centreback*

*Really wish we hadn't let Reece Oxford go out on-loan, could've been a decent back up option.

I would only take Hernandez out of the players you signed. Least you are buying proven talent this season, I don't think you can count on Fonte tho.

NHale

Signing a 29 year old Matic for £40m is the most Mourinho signing ever. Utd will probably get 1 or 2 really good seasons out of him though and he's an improvement over what they already have in that position.

The fact that Chelsea spent less than that on Baka & Kante respectively puts it in to perspective though.

What is the defensive holding midfielder market though? Who is out there available to be bought? Because the names I keep hearing are some unproven players that are still going to cost around the same as Matic or even more. William Carvalho? Danilo? Fabinho would be the perfect fit but Monaco doesn't want to sell him unless they receive a crazy offer. Keita? He apparently cost around 2x what Matic costs and he isn't a total fit as a defensive midfielder. Kovacic? Lol. Market is dry for holding midfielders, so you have two choices gamble for less money for unproven players or get someone with a successful track record on your own system and in the PL for a decent amount of money.

Never forget that United biggest need this offseason was a great holding midfielder that could provide more freedom for Pogba. As last year proved they only had Carrick for that spot and he can't do the job for 40+ games per season.

If they get Perisic for £50M considering the winger market this summer then United should be shamed. Paying £40M for Matic is better transfer for United than Lindelof was for example.

Syder

I would only take Hernandez out of the players you signed. Least you are buying proven talent this season, I don't think you can count on Fonte tho.
Makes sense because you had an overall better starting XI than we did. Having Zabaleta and Byram fighting for the RB position, Adrián and Hart for GK, and with Snodgrass turning out to be not so great for us Arnautović is a good signing because I believe we're better than Stoke are and he'll show his good side more than his bad. We needed good competition for places, not squad players, and that's what we've signed so far. If you compare our signings to last Summer, it's a huuuuuge improvement. Looking at other teams outside the Top 7, no one is really making any big or impressive moves. There are a couple of good ones here and there (I'd have like for us to have gotten Harry Maguire who's gone to Leicester) but generally it looks like a lot of clubs are sitting around doing nothing.

Fonte should be a rotation option and nothing more.

Farewell Matic, would rather sell a player a year too early than a year too late. I'm sure United fans would rather have someone younger but Matic is good.

raven777

Fucking Matic.... I hope someone puts stop to Mourinho's targets. United need a board of director or someone.... seriously wtf!

My takeaways from the first half of this Arsenal-Sevilla game:

Joe Willock has a very small face.
Hector Bellerin is still making dire decisions in the final third.

Top Bottom