• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2016/17 & Offseason |OT2| Wenger In Fam! Wenger Out Blud!

Loris146

The Neymar transfer is crazy according to reports, Qatar is going to pay Neymar a marketing fee for its World Cup. Neymar will use the money to buy himself out of his contract and join PSG for free, avoiding any FFP problems.

DF7KfxmWsAANAaT.jpg:small

I hope that nothing about this is true.

slider

Neymar should set a precedent of... Taking the money (for the World Cup apparently)... And that's the end of the story. He stays put at Barca. I mean, it's 300 million apparently!

If nothing else, it'd make me chuckle.

TimmmV

I really don't think Coutinho will go this summer, he doesn't seem the type to turn dickhead and refuse to play - and with his new contract that's the only scenario that will force Liverpool to sell really

DBT85

I really don't think Coutinho will go this summer, he doesn't seem the type to turn dickhead and refuse to play - and with his new contract that's the only scenario that will force Liverpool to sell really

Doesn't have to be a dickhead, just needs to plead with the manger and the manager can sanction it.

Even if a player doesn't refuse to play, if their head is turned and you've not given them some assurance about going next year or something you have to think they won't be at 100%.

CrayToes

Doesn't have to be a dickhead, just needs to plead with the manger and the manager can sanction it.

Even if a player doesn't refuse to play, if their head is turned and you've not given them some assurance about going next year or something you have to think they won't be at 100%.

Mate, fuck off. He's not leaving :(

oilvomer

So Liverpool silently and stealthily are looking very good pre season, of course does not means shit as all the Man City and Utd and Chelsea have all moved on, so will be again a 3 way tie for 4th

Tottenham will suffer for doing nothing I think possibly.... Bargain of the season is Solanke I reckon...3M is nothing nowadays

If he puts in a transfer request and doesn't leave then questions are going to be asked all season long. He hasn't done so, so it's not a massive issue.

Liverpool haven't exactly had a good transfer window though. The additions have been fine so far but not really resolved any of their issues. Their main targets don't look likely to join either but if Cortiniho leaves it will be a massive blow to the strength of that team especially if they don't get VvD or Keita.

TimmmV

A manager can always say no to that request though - then the player is forced to burn their bridges and force a move out. And even then, you can still have a situation like with Keita or VvD where the player is doing a lot to move away, but the club are powerful enough to say no.

The only weapons a player really has to force a move are either running a contract down, buyout clauses, or just plain refusing to perform. Coutinho can't do the first or second, so being a dick is basically his only option if he wants out

Moobabe

If he puts in a transfer request and doesn't leave then questions are going to be asked all season long. He hasn't done so, so it's not a massive issue.

Liverpool haven't exactly had a good transfer window though. The additions have been fine so far but not really resolved any of their issues. Their main targets don't look likely to join either but if Cortiniho leaves it will be a massive blow to the strength of that team especially if they don't get VvD or Keita.

Agreed, Solanke and Salah, especially, are good signings - but Pool's problem last year wasn't scoring goals...

We get a defender in and I'll call this window decent, maybe even good if Salah is the key to help us break down teams that we were missing last season. This is assuming we have no high-profile outgoings.

sammex

At the end of last season the priorities were a left back to compete with Milner, a CB to replace Lovren, and a winger like Mané who we missed desperately when he went off to the AFCON. 2/3 is not bad so far, especially since Salah looks like he'll be something special. Definitely need that dominant in the air CB to help with our vulnerability at set pieces and VVD is the best in the league at aerial duels. If we get him or an altermative the window would be good, Keita was a bonus imo - v few LFC fans would've said a new CM was a priority.

If we buy anyone else after a CB, I think we'll change tact now, leave Keita for next summer, use Coutinho more in midfield and go sign another forward instead.

Also form in preseason means v little, don't base any predictions on it.

CrayToes

Agreed, Solanke and Salah, especially, are good signings - but Pool's problem last year wasn't scoring goals...
When everything went to shit post Christmas/AFCON, scoring goals was definitely the problem. A huge chunk of the goals we conceded last year came when we were already 3/4 goals to the good. Squad depth was a far bigger issue imo.

At the end of last season the priorities were a left back to compete with Milner, a CB to replace Lovren, and a winger like Mané who we missed desperately when he went off to the AFCON. 2/3 is not bad so far, especially since Salah looks like he'll be something special. Definitely need that dominant in the air CB to help with our vulnerability at set pieces and VVD is the best in the league at aerial duels. If we get him or an altermative the window would be good, Keita was a bonus imo - v few LFC fans would've said a new CM was a priority.

If we buy anyone else after a CB, I think we'll change tact now, leave Keita for next summer, use Coutinho more in midfield and go sign another forward instead.

Also form in preseason means v little, don't base any predictions on it.

Good post I agree with all of it. Get a CB in and if anything I would like another striker-type. Firmino will probably be 1st choice, behind him are Origi and Sturridge, 1 is very inconsistant and the other is made out of matches. But alas, a really good CB and I would be happy with this window.

Pachimari

So I just started playing Football Manager 2017 on iPad and got a quick question. Do the money I have left over in the transfer budget go anywhere? Or should I invest all the money I got available before a transfer window closes?

Beefy

Arsenal owner Stan Kroenke faces backlash over 'sickening' blood sports TV channel

My Outdoor TV (MOTV) allows subscribers to watch thousands of hunting, shooting and fishing shows for around £7.60 a month.

In one programme a man can be seen shooting a lion, saying: “This is the most exciting hunt I have ever been on.”

In another, a presenter kills a critically endangered African elephant, saying: “There’s no other feeling in the world quite like walking up on your bull elephant.”

The channel is described by its backers as the Netflix of the hunting world.

Simon Barr, the channel’s spokesman, told The Times: “MOTV will present ethical, fair chase hunting and as long as it’s legal it will be on there.”

Supporters of hunting claim it is the only way to raise large amounts of money for conservation.

But Philippa King, chief operating officer of the League Against Cruel Sports, said billionaire Mr Kroenke had scored a “massive own goal”.

She said: “We’re living in a world now where most people can see how brutal and shameful trophy hunting is, yet the Arsenal boss is choosing to launch his sick TV channel in the UK.”

Source: http://www.standard.co.uk/news/worl...ckening-blood-sports-tv-channel-a3600001.html

Fucking disgusting

Forget your cheesy transfer announcement videos, Neymar is getting a parade through Paris.

So I just started playing Football Manager 2017 on iPad and got a quick question. Do the money I have left over in the transfer budget go anywhere? Or should I invest all the money I got available before a transfer window closes?

Your finances don't reset each year or anything, it all flows consistently. If you manage your money well and are successful you could eventually turn a small club into the richest club in the world. Likewise you could bankrupt the club and cause yourself serious problems. Near the end of each season the club's board of directors will set the transfer and wage budget based on your finances and club expectations. While it's tempting to just spend your entire transfer budget, most clubs usually lose money every month so you'll want to leave something in the bank to pay for wages and expenditures over the course of the season. Honestly I pay more attention to the total balance than the transfer budget, it's pretty easy to put a club underwater and then be screwed for the next couple years.

Mac_Lane

Looks like Neymar will undergo his medical tomorrow in Qatar. He will then be presented officially in Paris on Wednesday.

This feels so unreal.

Pachimari

Your finances don't reset each year or anything, it all flows consistently. If you manage your money well and are successful you could eventually turn a small club into the richest club in the world. Likewise you could bankrupt the club and cause yourself serious problems. Near the end of each season the club's board of directors will set the transfer and wage budget based on your finances and club expectations. While it's tempting to just spend your entire transfer budget, most clubs usually lose money every month so you'll want to leave something in the bank to pay for wages and expenditures over the course of the season. Honestly I pay more attention to the total balance than the transfer budget, it's pretty easy to put a club underwater and then be screwed for the next couple years.

Oh yeah, I've been playing this since 2007 on PC but I've never noticed if the transfer budget went anywhere. For some reason I thought it would just reset, and I had to spend all of my transfer money before the window closes. So if I have money left I guess it just transfers to the overall club budget. I'll look around.

jm89

Last i heard neymar wanted to leave because he is in the shadow of messi at barca. Was this the real reason? He just needed to gitgud not leave.

Gothos

Last i heard neymar wanted to leave because he is in the shadow of messi at barca. Was this the real reason? He just needed to gitgud not leave.

Well, he'll surely be the star of the French league, but you know, it's French league :) Anyway, good luck to him, not like he has a chance to win CL in the next 2-3 years anyway :)

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
not like he has a chance to win CL in the next 2-3 years anyway :)

I don't know about that, PSG was very close to eliminate Barcelona this year and only the referee and their dumb mistakes prevented them from doing so. Their team is pretty strong even without Neymar.

Well, seems like he is. Though if he's patient he could overshadow Messi in a year or two.

Messi is not young anymore. He has passed his peak, even.

Gothos

I don't know about that, PSG was very close to eliminate Barcelona this year and only the referee and their dumb mistakes prevented them from doing so. Their team is pretty strong even without Neymar.

That second game clearly showed they are not ready to win the CL. And definetely not with this coach. IMHO :)

Beefy

@PAdugout

#Breaking @ManUtd have been charged with breaching UEFA anti-doping regulations & fined €10,000 following the Europa League final https://t.co/cSwh5c6H3R

#Breaking Daley Blind has been charged for violation and non-compliance of the doping procedure, and has been fined €5,000 #MUFC

Phil Jones charged with insulting & directing abusive language towards doping control officer, given two-match European ban + €5,000 fine

https://twitter.com/PAdugout/status/892015636955705345
Damn

NHale

If the Neymar transfer details are true and the fees are going to be paid by the same company owned by the owner of PSG, UEFA just need to admit once and for all that FFP don't work and is just a joke that needs to end.

So that's why Mourinho said that everyone would know in a couple of days why he keeps playing Smalling and Lindelof together. They don't have any options besides that for the SuperCup against Real with Rojo injured and Bailly/Jones suspended.

NHale

Soooo...

When will they be stripped of their title?

Lol. Read the news. They didn't fail any doping test and even if they did the club wasn't going to suffer from that. Only the players which is quite stupid.

But still this wasn't the case, apparently Blind didn't want to take the test because he wanted to keep celebrating (but still did the tests) while Phil Jones just decided that the best way to handle the matter was to spend a couple of minutes insulting the doping officers instead of spending 1 minute peeing into a cup.

Man United was fined because it's their obligation that every player respect the orders from the doping agency.

Top Bottom