• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2016/17 & Offseason |OT2| Wenger In Fam! Wenger Out Blud!

Beefy

Makes sense because you had an overall better starting XI than we did. Having Zabaleta and Byram fighting for the RB position, Adrián and Hart for GK, and with Snodgrass turning out to be not so great for us Arnautović is a good signing because I believe we're better than Stoke are and he'll show his good side more than his bad. We needed good competition for places, not squad players, and that's what we've signed so far. If you compare our signings to last Summer, it's a huuuuuge improvement. Looking at other teams outside the Top 7, no one is really making any big or impressive moves. There are a couple of good ones here and there (I'd have like for us to have gotten Harry Maguire who's gone to Leicester) but generally it looks like a lot of clubs are sitting around doing nothing.

Fonte should be a rotation option and nothing more.

Yeah I wanted Maguire to replace Fonte. You need to get bought out tbf, that is the biggest thing holding you back.

TrueBlue

Even if Matic is supposedly on the decline, I can't help but feel giving him to a potential title rival is ill-advised.

Ah well.

Syder

Yeah I wanted Maguire to replace Fonte. You need to get bought out tbf, that is the biggest thing holding you back.
Aye the West Ham owners are laughably cringey
You have to be careful what you wish for when it comes to new owners.

We were in a very dire state before Gold & Sullivan came in, in that time period we could've very easily become another Blackpool or Portsmouth. Say what you want about them but they're at the very least excellent businessmen and they're both actually West Ham fans. So I'll hold on these guys for a little while longer yet.

Beefy

We were in a very dire state before Gold & Sullivan came in, in that time period we could've very easily become another Blackpool or Portsmouth. Say what you want about them but they're at the very least excellent businessmen and they're both actually West Ham fans. So I'll hold on these guys for a little while longer yet.

How about Brady?

Moobabe

Even if Matic is supposedly on the decline, I can't help but feel giving him to a potential title rival is ill-advised.

Ah well.

Yeah, a very odd choice. What was the stumbling block with him going to Juve? I'd take slightly less money over him going to a rival team any day. Having said that, I really think he's on the wane. He was poor for large parts of last season (and obviously the season before) and the cup final was the final nail for me and many Chelsea fans.

On other Chelsea business - a concerning pre-season for us. Last year's was nothing spectacular either, but with Hazard injured, Bakayoko injured, Rudiger and Morata not getting many minutes because they were signed late we look woefully under cooked going into the new season.

Arsenal in a week - who have also looked poor - and I'm not sure who he's going to play. Conte won't trust Boga, so he has to play Morata, Bats and Willian as a front 3. Our midfield 2, then, is Kante and Fabregas because we now have no other options in there with Matic, Chalobah and RLC all leaving the club, and we've all seen how much Fabregas has struggled vs good opposition.

Are there any good pre season friendlies going on tonight?(European time).

I really need them because my neighbours will be loud tonight ;(

Loris146

Are there any good pre season friendlies going on tonight?(European time).

I really need them because my neighbours will be loud tonight ;(

tenor.gif

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Fellaini is a monstrous oaf. He has no ability whatsoever to handle the ball well off of a first touch. Get this loser off the team already.

Sciel

Fellaini is a monstrous oaf. He has no ability whatsoever to handle the ball well off of a first touch. Get this loser off the team already.
He basically symbolizes United's decline and Moyes reign at United.

Thankfully, even if he doesn't leave in this transfer window, his contract expires in 12 months.

....now watch Mourinho hand him a new 3 year contract.

Tosyn_88

He basically symbolizes United's decline and Moyes reign at United.

Thankfully, even if he doesn't leave in this transfer window, his contract expires in 12 months.

....now watch Mourinho hand him a new 3 year contract.

This is a very strange thing to say. Everyone knows he isn't a classy player but he is one heck of an option to have. He is immense in the air. 9/10 he will dominate everyone in the air, Sergio Ramos included. Of course, no one is saying he should play every game but as a squad option, he definitely gives one strong option for the team

T-Rex.

Banned
This is a very strange thing to say. Everyone knows he isn't a classy player but he is one heck of an option to have. He is immense in the air. 9/10 he will dominate everyone in the air, Sergio Ramos included. Of course, no one is saying he should play every game but as a squad option, he definitely gives one strong option for the team
Only cos his elbows take out the player challenging him for the ball before anything else can happen :p

Tosyn_88

Only cos his elbows take out the player challenging him for the ball before anything else can happen :p

Honestly, as far as it gives an advantage to Utd, why does it matter? The reason players are better than others is because of their cranial or physiological advantages so I don't see a difference here.

Sciel

That's basically it isn't it?
Sure, as an option most United fans won't mind him. For instance, coming off the bench when we're desperate for a goal.
Yet, as a midfielder, he's just beyond average in almost everything. He has no range of passing, can't carry the ball, etc. He merely 'keeps it simple' and passes it sideways.
The fact that a lot of fans have accepted this just shows how standards have fallen.

To get the best of him, you have to play him as a 10 (or whatever his role at Everton was). Which is what i never want my team to ever do.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible

Not only that, I don't give two fucks that Fellaini can get to headers better than players shorter than him. His issue is the liability he displays everywhere else on the field. Midfield, he is a liability, defensively he is a liability, and on attack he bottles it. He lumbers around like one of the Lord of the Rings tree people, and it is extremely painful watching him play. He should not be anywhere near the bench of a team like United, let alone be starting matches. The greatest blunder committed by Sir Alex in his illustrious career was the moment he suggested David Moyes replace him. I'm still trying to wrap my head around how that thought process came to be. Middle of the pack Everton manager is going to be given the management job to the greatest English team in history. It's essentially an Obama ----> Trump like in backwardness.

Loris146

Tielemans is going to be one of the best midfielder in the world. Monaco will sell him for 60 70 ML to Barca/ Real / Premier league team with money.

I would have to agree here. They seem to have done well for the club in those regards. I think that they just need to stay out of football matters and let more experienced people (a director of football) handle those matters.

tim.mbp

The Neymar transfer is crazy according to reports, Qatar is going to pay Neymar a marketing fee for its World Cup. Neymar will use the money to buy himself out of his contract and join PSG for free, avoiding any FFP problems.

Syder

The Neymar transfer is crazy according to reports, Qatar is going to pay Neymar a marketing fee for its World Cup. Neymar will use the money to buy himself out of his contract and join PSG for free, avoiding any FFP problems.
Fuck everything about this.

Top Bottom