• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2017/18 |OT| Relegated to Community

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rmagnus

Banned
Phil is gone, but I don't see him leaving until next summer.

I can't see FSG walking back on their refusal to sell after the club's recent transfer failures.

Suarez did well after the club forced him to stay for one more year no reason not to do the same to Phil since he just extended his contract.

Cairnsay

Banned
Is there a transcript?

😄

nufc.com have some quotes up. Basically said that while he is, in theory, a multi-billionaire, all his wealth is tied up in Sports Direct shares. He doesn't have the ability to write a cheque for £200 million, or compete with the likes of City and United.

TBH that's not the part I take issue with, what will be crucial is if this was what was communicated to Benitez at the start of the window, or if Benitez feels like he has been misled.

What does gaf think Coutinho staying or going

I'd think we were morons if we sold him without having 2/3 signings in the pipeline to beef up the squad, which I think in this market, those signings just aren't there. Especially with the statement this morning, and how FSG handled the Suarez thing, I'm leaning towards that they're gonna stick to their guns and keep him.

But 20 days of the window to go, so I can't be sure. Last week I was certain Phil wasn't the type to hand in a request like this.

Doc_Drop

Not yet as the full interview isn't out yet. But basically " there is hardly any money as I aint rich enough"
I would just defer to my normal calling him a twat, but this market is fierce. On the other hand we just got promoted and have sold high since forever.

Really hope Rafa stays.. I can't deal with the revolving managerial door anymore.

Please sell the club Ashley

Beefy

nufc.com have some quotes up. Basically said that while he is, in theory, a multi-billionaire, all his wealth is tied up in Sports Direct shares. He doesn't have the ability to write a cheque for £200 million, or compete with the likes of City and United.

TBH that's not the part I take issue with, what will be crucial is if this was what was communicated to Benitez at the start of the window, or if Benitez feels like he has been misled.

Not just that he also said he can't compete with many owners (in Prem)in the part I saw on Sky. Also saying Newcastle can't get big sponsorship deals.

What is the best site to buy shirts from? I want to get my brother a Barca shirt for his birthday but I don't have much time because it's on wednesday 👀

What does gaf think Coutinho staying or going

I am fucking raging. The cunt should be loaded into a rusty cannon and fired to Barca with no net to catch the twat. If he wants go whats the point in keeping him! I'll get quite tired booing him from the Kenny Dalglish stand over the next season. Your either 100% in or 110% out!

Rmagnus

Banned
I am fucking raging. The cunt should be loaded into a rusty cannon and fired to Barca with no net to catch the twat. If he wants go whats the point in keeping him! I'll get quite tired booing him from the Kenny Dalglish stand over the next season. Your either 100% in or 110% out!

No point cutting off your nose to spite the face. Like I mentioned Suarez was forced to stay didn't C.Ronaldo forced to stay for an extra season as well? As long as the club get back to winning ways we will be able to attract top talents. Winning is the issue and at this point we need Phil to stay and perform before he sod off next summer.

xintin

Chelsea friends, Conte press conference summary: Rudiger may start tomorrow in place of Moses, Pedro out with an ankle injury, club still trying to sign more
We have like 6 healthy players and the rest are held together by sticks and mud.

I was so optimistic at the start of the offseason but injuries and our board thinking a paper-thin squad would cut it has me way down :<

Loris146

We'll see what happens when Barca put in a 120-130 million pound bid.

They don't "care" about the money. They can't replace the player. Barca wouldn't have accepted 222 ML from PSG for Neymar. They made a mistake with that release clause.

If Coutinho leaves is because he won't stay at Liverpool not because they can't refuse 120 or 130 ML. I don't think that Liverpool needs money.

DBT85

So, how long til he's gone then?

We all know Dele Alli is a Liverpool fan. Let's test Spurs' resolve.

The worst possible chairman to go at with a transfer offer when you've just been handed huge great wodges of cash.

That list of Arsenal players in their last year of their contract:

Matt Macey
Per Mertesacker (retiring)
Kieran Gibbs
Carl Jenkinson
Jack Wilshere
Santi Cazorla
Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain
Mesut Özil
Alexis Sánchez
Joel Campbell

Didn't Arsene say this is a good thing? lol

I never want UTD to win anything. Deal with it. I'm sure there are legions of UTD fans that feel the same about Liverpool. That's football.

I'm not that bad. I don't mind if pool win almost anything. Except the league. I'd rather have City win it that Liverpool.

Only reason really is that you're a big club and you might take our record away. City won't.

Icolin

Banned

Matt Macey
Kieran Gibbs
Carl Jenkinson
Jack Wilshere
Santi Cazorla
Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain
Mesut Özil
Alexis Sánchez
Joel Campbell

Just sell him already, Arsenal.

Matt Macey
Kieran Gibbs
Carl Jenkinson
Jack Wilshere
Santi Cazorla
Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain
Mesut Özil
Alexis Sánchez
Joel Campbell

This makes me so mad. I hope he’s holding onto Gibbs and such with the idea that them joining a PL team on deadline day is better for Arsenal due to lack of training time.

I feel really bad for Campbell - so mistreated.

And wilshere, chambo, santi, ozil, sanchez is all a case if mis managed contracts. Why you’d even have ozil’s and sanchez’s contract expire at the same time is beyond me

Pep wants 2 or 3 new players

He actually said: “In the next three or four years Manchester City will buy one, two, maybe three players. But not what happened this summer."

I expect more this transfer window though as there are still a lot of rumours about City chasing CB's, midfielders and a players that can do a false 9 properly.

DBT85

Not sure if looking for username and avatar quote or not.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Expanding Anfield. Throwing oodles of cash at Leipzig. Refusing a lucrative transfer to maintain a strong squad.

No ambition whatsoever.

I'll give you the Anfield expansion. But intentions to buying players are meaningless, only actual signings matter. And we have no idea how the Coutinho saga will end.

You can't really claim they have ambition when we will likely have had negative net spendings for the last 4 transfer windows.

if Pep wins nowt this year again, can we finally call him a fraud?

Sure. People call him that already despite having one of the best trophy records of 21 trophies in 9 years as a top flight manager. If having one year with no trophies and finishing third makes him a fraud then I feel very sorry for every other manager. Then again certain Bayern fans called him a fraud because he couldn't win them the CL yet won them pretty much everything else.

FuturusX

if Pep wins nowt this year again, can we finally call him a fraud?

I'd be shocked if City don't win the something. The league looks to be a good bet.

Chelsea in disarray, Spurs refusing to spend any money and Arsenal being Arsenal. It might be a straight fight between UTD and City.

Then again a ball hasn't been kicked yet. Perhaps Newcastle will go on an amazing run.

edit: Dele is a Liverpool fan?

Yeah there's a story floating around that he came to Mellwood to visit as a youth player and was supposed to meet his hero Gerrard. But Gerrard was asleep when he arrived so they did not meet that day :p

Just tried to join the league but apparently it's closed to new entries?

I'll refer you to Lunar on the last page:

6HzrNUw.png

Just a quick update saying the Head-to-Head league is closed from new entries at 50 teams.

Due to this I've made a Classic league that is now open for everybody, including those already in the head-to-head league and will remain open all season. Create your team here and join with the league code: 1857822-805650

For those who have already joined and people joining now make sure to visit the fantasy google doc so that you guys can tie your fantasy team name to your neogaf user name.

Links to the fantasy google doc along with the members and predictions pages can be found at the top of the OT for future reference.

Thanks!

As for this:

I'll give you the Anfield expansion. But intentions to buying players is meaningless, only actual signings matter. And we have no idea how the Coutinho saga will end.

You can't really claim they have ambition when we will likely have had negative net spendings for the last 4 transfer windows.

Well what do you want them to do? VVD fucked up due to people at the club, not the owners. Keita was always going to be a no go. And you can't criticise them for the Coutinho saga when we don't know how it's going to end. Going back on their statement this morning would be a bad look though.

Like what else do you want from them? They could throw a bunch of money at a 'statement' signing but if it isn't somebody Klopp actually wants it's just dick waving.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom