• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2017/18 |OT| Relegated to Community

Status
Not open for further replies.

Syder

But the truth is that it's constantly been said by people on here. Not everyone, but many.
You just said defining the best league is pointless. People were reacting to an end-to-end 3-2 turnaround, I think a bit of hyperbole is to be expected. So why let it bother you?

The simple fact is The Championship is often more entertaining than most of Europe's supposed 'top leagues' and not everyone cares who lifts the Champions League trophy at the end of the season. A league doesn't have to have the best players/teams to be worth watching.

POZKT2a.png

Hahaha brilliant!

Icolin

Banned
You just said defining the best league is pointless. People were reacting to an end-to-end 3-2 turnaround, I think a bit of hyperbole is to be expected. So why let it bother you?

The simple fact is The Championship is often more entertaining than most of Europe's supposed 'top leagues' and not everyone cares who lifts the Champions League trophy at the end of the season. A league doesn't have to have the best players/teams to be worth watching.

This so much. I watch the Eredivisie, Bundesliga, Liga MX and MLS not because they have the best players/teams, but because they're entertaining as hell (and also the local club factor).

Beefy

Great game, PL is back

I never understand how this site is so precious about video game piracy but anything else is fair game. None of it should be tolerated.

Watching streams isn't illegal in EU. It is only illegal to run a website with streams on.

Icolin

Banned
Y'all living in the UK are lucky, even if you get local blackouts or whatever. Over here, we gotta wake up at 4 in the morning for Liverpool's game tomorrow.

kromeo

The quality obviously isn't as high but for entertainment you can't beat the championship, there's literally about 14 teams that could potentially win it

Really exciting game. Girlfriend was freaking out even though her heart rate is all over the place (arsenal fan).

Got a cheeky bet in at 2-3 for at least one more goal. Does anyone have any decent tipsters they follow?

Syder

This so much. I watch the Eredivisie, Bundesliga, Liga MX and MLS not because they have the best players/teams, but because they're entertaining as hell (and also the local club factor).
Yeah lol, I probably watch 10x as many non-PL games as I do Prem games.

EmiPrime

Ignore him. He's a TRUE fan.

He told me he put me on his ignore list a week ago but he wanted to get that ***real fans*** zinger in. Cool.

I can't afford to go to every home game and I especially can't afford to follow my team away and couldn't get tickets for away games anyway (it's massively oversubscribed). When I was living just off Caledonian Road my proximity didn't change any of that.

Empty

it's a stupid rule that doesn't makes sense when so many people move around the country for work. it's all well and good supporting the local team you grew up with but what happens when you move to london for jobs and now can't watch most of their games. you aren't going to suddenly become a west ham fan.

Best

You can try to use 3pms to justify pirating all games, but how many people's jobs do you think are in some way dependent on Sky/BT/etc monetising football rights?

it's a stupid rule that doesn't makes sense when so many people move around the country for work. it's all well and good supporting the local team you grew up with but what happens when you move to london for jobs and now can't watch most of their games. you aren't going to suddenly become a west ham fan.

Your kids might. But they never will if they can always watch a top British team on TV.

I just listen on the radio, usually while doing something low-effort (GAF, gaming, etc.).

Zasa

It is pointless, this whole thing is subjective. Every league has it's moments, aspects of play that make it stand out. Especially on the entertainment aspect. Some people found Spain's style of football extremely boring when they dominated the Euro's & WC, others found it fascinating & loved watching a team slowly cut a team apart. Some people only appreciate non-stop dunks in the NBA, & cant stand to watch more technical teams that focus on ball movement & perimeter shooting. Again, all subjective.

I'm just baffled as to why the same people have to constantly repeat that & it's not just during the game when hyperbole is imminent. It's been constantly said in the preseason. Usually followed by said person claiming every other league is a one-horse race, teams aren't competitive, mid-table teams suck, etc. Which is slight on the quality of the league, rather than "entertainment".

Syder

It is pointless, this whole thing is subjective. Especially on the entertainment aspect. Some people found Spain's style of football extremely boring when they dominated the Euro's & WC, others found it fascinating & loved watching a team
slowly cut a team apart. Some people only appreciate non-stop dunks in the NBA, & cant stand to watch more technical teams that focus on ball movement & perimeter shooting. Again, all subjective.

I'm just baffled as to why the same people have to constantly repeat it, & it's not just during the game when hyperbole is imminent. It's been constantly said in the preseason. Usually followed by said person claiming every other league is a one-horse race, teams aren't competitive, mid-table teams suck, etc. Which is slight on the quality of the league, rather than "entertainment".
Again, I don't know why it bothers you so much.

People let other people's football opinions bother them too much.

this thread has 2 weeks lifespan max if it stays in off-topic

slider

I don't post much in here. But let's have a hug. Then football will be the real winner. And that's what we all want. And for West Ham to smash and grab points off Spurs again.

Edit...

We're everyone's second team.

EmiPrime

Your kids might. But they never will if they can always watch a top British team on TV.

Streams are readily available and yet stadiums still sell out.

It's almost as if going to a game in person is a very different experience that is still attractive to many.

You can try to use 3pms to justify pirating all games, but how many people's jobs do you think are in some way dependent on Sky/BT/etc monetising football rights?

Don't you worry about that, those jobs are safe as houses.

You forgot the coveted Emirates cup

And that cup in Asia when we beat Bayern! Drowning in trophies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom