• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT12| Kicked the Ballboy Like Stan Hit Ulrika

Agree completely.

As it is we see Carragher and Coates as a step down too far, and we wheel them out as an acceptance of fragility in certain matches. Having an experienced, and proven performer like Williams to challenge the other two would be great for depth and the squad as a whole. Swansea have been defensively magnificent this season, by far their most underrated aspect. Williams has been a huge part of this.
Yep. Can't say I've watched Williams specifically much but as you say Swansea's defence is solid and he's a key part of that.

A team like Liverpool doesn't need to focus that heavily on future investment now. I mean it should always be a part of the philosophy IMO but there are already 5/6 young players in that squad who play semi-reguarly as it is. A push into the top 4 is needed and you need players who go into the first team equation and make it better to achieve that.

Otherwise you get obsessed with potential. /Arsenal

Arnie

Yep. Can't say I've watched Williams specifically much but as you say Swansea's defence is solid and he's a key part of that.

A team like Liverpool doesn't need to focus that heavily on future investment now. I mean it should always be a part of the philosophy IMO but there are already 5/6 young players in that squad who play semi-reguarly as it is. A push into the top 4 is needed and you need players who go into the first team equation and make it better to achieve that.

Otherwise you get obsessed with potential. /Arsenal

Exactly, experience drives teams on to consistent performances, and having the option to throw in Ashley Williams, or rest the likes of Agger, enables us to make these defensive changes without hampering the team's overall effectiveness.

We've been really fortunate in the likes of Kelly and Wisdom coming in and doing so well, but it's unfair and unappealing to have to rely on these youngsters to push us up the table. If we add Coutinho I think the squad's complete for young spunky prospects, and it's about adding quality around that.

We need a slightly less injury prone Fabio Aurelio.

Feorax

We need a slightly less injury prone Fabio Aurelio.

I'm concerned Enrique has a touch of the Aurelio's. Been out a fair bit this season.

Speakig of left backs, Insua looks like he could be off to Atletico Madrid. Could be a great signing for them, and i think a sell on clause means we get a cut too.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Andrea Stramaccioni admits Philippe Coutinho will be sold to raise funds for Paulinho. “Painful sales can bring in important players who will improve Inter.”

There are numerous reports that Liverpool have raised their offer to match the €15m asking price for Coutinho, around £12m.

A deal is imminent for the 20-year-old Brazilian, so the money could be reinvested in taking Paulinho from Corinthians for €20m.

“I met President Massimo Moratti yesterday and we have the same objectives,” said Coach Stramaccioni in his Press conference.

“The target is to improve the squad. I don’t need players coming in to make up the numbers. If someone arrives, he has to be of a superior level.

“At the same time, any painful sales are linked to bringing in important players who will improve Inter. That is how the President and I see it.

“Coutinho and Ricky Alvarez? I dubbed them painful losses because these are players who started the project with us and that is also true of Wesley Sneijder. It is always painful to lose players I work with.

“I could let go of a player as long as another will arrive who can help the squad. Paulinho? I won’t comment on names until the window closes.”

Fabulous tackle.
sebastien-chabal-rugby-1.jpg

Dwingvatt

Banned
Williams is decent, would definitely be pleased with a transfer.

Born 1984, same as both Agger and Skrtel. Yeah, I think he's a really good defender, but I'd rather we went for an up and comer like De Vrij, or a 24-25 year old who can fill the gap between Dagger/Skrts and Wisdom/Kelly

But he said he wants to punch Suarez in the face. Why would we want someone like that in our club?

Also didn't Rodgers recently said that he doesn't want to sell Coates but instead send him out on a loan?

Is this because I said Leinster were the team I supported above United?

Or are you just revelling in my despair?

Clegg someone on my Facebook is saying it was all just a ruse by Sexton's agent to get more money, they haven't signed anything with any other club yet. Could be hope for you yet.

City game worth watching? I might just get some sleep, been a long day

Arnie

But he said he wants to punch Suarez in the face. Why would we want someone like that in our club?

Also didn't Rodgers recently said that he doesn't want to sell Coates but instead send him out on a loan?

I couldn't really give a shit.

It was a hot headed comment in a book, and not meant to be taken literally. I'm sure there are lots of defenders in the premier league who hold animosity towards Suarez, but I'm also sure there are lots of them who'd rather be playing alongside him, rather than against him. Willing to bet they'd be mates within days, and that it wouldn't represent some form of protracted rift within the squad.

They're grown adults.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Clegg someone on my Facebook is saying it was all just a ruse by Sexton's agent to get more money, they haven't signed anything with any other club yet. Could be hope for you yet.

Nope.

panty

nah, boring as hell.

Top Bottom