• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT12| Kicked the Ballboy Like Stan Hit Ulrika

You said that fantasy league email you PM'ed was your real name. ;)

iAyxaUU1azm1h.gif

It still came up without the apostrophe or first barrel? Impressive :D

edit: Just realised that it took my full name when I registered, and would have searched that as well as usernames and email adresses

Kyoufu

Because they're haphazardly inflating their squad in what appears to be panic mode, purchasing players based on factors not wholly determined by footballing ability. Essentially they're just buying French, and it's the sort of monochrome policy that gets me irked. Just like QPR amassed a fuck off squad of unwanted specimens and premier league journeymen, and expected it to work.

Nobody's arguing that there's a deal to be done in Ligue 1, that much is already proven, but it's like winning a single bet and then throwing money on willy-nilly in a spate of overconfidence.

When the team crumbles, just like QPR, I'll laugh my tits off.

You've made good arguments in the past but I can't help but laugh at this one.

So you're saying we're panic buying. Sort of true. We need players. We needed players in the summer but we didn't buy any. We're buying them now. What's wrong with that? I'm confused.

Secondly, you're saying we're not buying players for their footballing ability?

Do you even know who Graham Carr is?

choodi

Banned
Because they're haphazardly inflating their squad in what appears to be panic mode, purchasing players based on factors not wholly determined by footballing ability. Essentially they're just buying French, and it's the sort of monochrome policy that gets me irked. Just like QPR amassed a fuck off squad of unwanted specimens and premier league journeymen, and expected it to work.

Nobody's arguing that there's a deal to be done in Ligue 1, that much is already proven, but it's like winning a single bet and then throwing money on willy-nilly in a spate of overconfidence.

When the team crumbles, just like QPR, I'll laugh my tits off.

Inflating their squad?

Dude, our squad is about half the size of everyone else's. How can you call it inflated?

Arnie is still sour about Sneijder.

Coutinho would heal those wounds but adriano999 is pretty sure that it's not happening. Somebody will be let down - I look forwards to it.

So you're saying we're panic buying. Sort of true. We need players. We needed players in the summer but we didn't buy any. We're buying them now. What's wrong with that? I'm confused.

Remember the time Liverpool decided to buy English? ;p

Worked didn't it.

Downing, Konchesky, Carroll, Cole, Henderson...(granted he has proved to be a fairly ok buy)...

Remember the time Liverpool decided to buy English? ;p

Worked didn't it.

Downing, Konchesky, Carroll, Cole, Henderson...(granted he has proved to be a fairly ok buy)...

I saw Konchesky, wondered why you mentioned Koscielny, then remembered that we actually bought Konchesky. Christ

Kyoufu

It's just funny to hear that we are inflating our squad when we have to field academy players who should be nowhere near the first team.

We have one of the thinnest squads in the league :(

pulga

Banned
Iker just posted this on Facebook.

251932_536967883000108_1629232329_n.jpg

Read the Marca headline tomorrow be: "SPANISH AND ARGENTINIAN CLANS CONFRIMED"

Blackburn conceded a 90th minute goal. LOL.

98th minute, hardly any stoppages yet the ref signalled 5 minutes then gave a penalty in the 97th min

Feels nice not to be ashamed of the team though we actually looked like a team

Oh by the way Wilbury I feel I should tell you, I once stole a metal chicken thingy from Nandos

dc89

98th minute, hardly any stoppages yet the ref signalled 5 minutes then gave a penalty in the 97th min

Feels nice not to be ashamed of the team though we actually looked like a team

Oh by the way Wilbury I feel I should tell you, I once stole a metal chicken thingy from Nandos

LOL we have one too.

A lad at work has a vase full. He took it too far :/

Arnie

Yes, he's Alan Carr's dad, and he's the reason Alan Pardew's currently in a job.

I also know that if the players you've most recently bought (or are on the cusp of buying) weren't French and playing in Ligue 1, you wouldn't be buying them. You've completely misunderstood my point. I'm not saying you're not buying them for their footballing ability, I'm saying that other factors are determining who you can and can't buy, before your mystical 'Graham Carr' starts determining football ability.

You're essentially just finding a suitable Frenchman for each position you're particularly weak in, and when a club in such a precarious position start dealing with such obscure pretense, I only see one outcome, Graham Carr of not.

We'll see, I've made my prediction clear, just as I did for QPR in the summer.

Kyoufu

Yes, he's Alan Carr's dad, and he's the reason Alan Pardew's currently in a job.

I also know that if the players you've most recently bought (or are on the cusp of buying) weren't French and playing in Ligue 1, you wouldn't be buying them. You've completely misunderstood my point. I'm not saying you're not buying them for their footballing ability, I'm saying that other factors are determining who you can and can't buy, before your mystical 'Graham Carr' starts determining football ability.

You're essentially just finding a suitable Frenchman for each position you're particularly weak in, and when a club in such a precarious position start dealing with such obscure pretense, I only see one outcome, Graham Carr of not.

We'll see, I've made my prediction clear, just as I did for QPR in the summer.

I'm not saying we're saved from relegation.

Very high chance of us going down still.

But our market is mainly France. Like yours is mainly England. We can't afford to pay for English players.

I don't see the problem honestly.

I take the QPR comparison offensive though. We're nothing like QPR and 'Arry's scummy dealings. QPR go out and throw money at random players. That's something we'll never do. Our targets have been scouted for at least 12-18 months and are signed purely for footballing reasons.

Clegg

Newcastles two confirmed signings are rated highly. I can't say I've ever seen M'Biwa play but I've read good things about.

They've improved their first XI anyway. Even if Debuchy disappoints he'll still be better than Danny Simpson.

Arnie

Says it all about this thread lately, two people don't have the mental composition to differentiate between 'inflating' and 'inflated', and I'm the one who's 'drunk'.

I know you're trolling, Viva, but it's tiring when I'm trying to make a point, and simultaneously debating with lemons.

Graham Carr is actually Alan Carr's dad.

Woah. I thought Arnie was joking.
I only deal in facts.

choodi

Banned
I don't get the Newcastle hate.

No one except Sunderland fans really has an excuse to hate us.

When we're good, we are bloody entertaining. Seriously, over the life if the premier league, we have been responsible for some of the most attacking and attractive football I can remember.

On the other hand, when we're bad, we are still bloody entertaining. Can you tell me of another team that is so self destructive and amusing and ludicrous as Newcastle united? It is comedy at its best!

We don't even have glory hunter fans because they all moved on long ago to Chelsea and other nouveau riche clubs.

Kyoufu

There is no debate or point to be made here Arnie.

You have to be drunk.

If not, then I'm sorry for buying players we need for a squad?

When we're good, we are bloody entertaining. Seriously, over the life if the premier league, we have been responsible for some of the most attacking and attractive football I can remember.

On the other hand, when we're bad, we are still bloody entertaining. Can you tell me of another team that is so self destructive and amusing and ludicrous as Newcastle united? It is comedy at its best!

We don't even have glory hunter fans because they all moved on long ago to Chelsea and other nouveau riche clubs.

Because the apex of entertaining self destruction is relegation with a team that's 'too good to go down'

pulga

Banned

To neutrals? Liverpool. Their fans make it so.

Kyoufu

We only have one striker in our squad.

Shola Ameobi does not count, yet he's starting games for us.

Come on Arnie. Tell us how we're so alike to QPR suddenly.

Tell us how we're so alike to QPR that we go out and buy players because we don't have suitable backups to our first XI, when every club in the league should (and for the most part does).

Arnie

We only have one striker in our squad.

Shola Ameobi does not count, yet he's starting games for us.

Come on Arnie. Tell us how we're so alike to QPR suddenly.

Don't antagonise me Kyoufu, I've just explained exactly where I see the similarities to QPR, but you choked on the word 'inflating'.

You don't have one striker in your squad.

Tell us how we're so alike to QPR that we go out and buy players because we don't have suitable backups to our first XI, when every club in the league should (and for the most part does).

Because you're overloading on them in such a short space of time, in a single window, and buying them with a specific search term: France. Just like QPR employed the search terms: 'Journeyman' and 'final pay packet'.

Zabojnik

We really deserved to win this -_-

PDC deserves the jeers to be honest. That's not his first fucking mistake, and it won't be his last.

Fuck this shit. Every time I have to go out 10 minutes before the match ends we fuck it up. Although I saw it coming after the all the chances we wasted / fucking Marchetti. That Vucinic pass for Vidal was fantastic though, very Pirlesque. Next week's return match should be pretty interesting.

Kyoufu

Don't antagonise me Kyoufu, I've just explained exactly where I see the similarities to QPR, but you choked on the word 'inflating'.

You don't have one striker in your squad.

Cisse is our only striker.

Unless you really count Ameobi.

Anyway your definition of inflation is hilarious. We have to recall players who were on loan just to field a team yet we're somehow inflating our squad.

Go home you are not only drunk but on cocaine.

choodi

Banned
Says it all about this thread lately, two people don't have the mental composition to differentiate between 'inflating' and 'inflated', and I'm the one who's 'drunk'.

I know you're trolling, Viva, but it's tiring when I'm trying to make a point, and simultaneously debating with lemons.

I only deal in facts.

When the squad Is almost completely deflated, saying that we are haphazardly inflating it is wrong and idiotic.

The word haphazardly infers that there is no thought or strategy going into who we sign. This has been proven to be wrong in many occasions. Newcastle at acknowledged to be one of the teams that puts a lot of effort into scouting players

Kyoufu

Newcastle vs QPR transfer comparison over the summer:

Newcastle senior signings: 1

QPR senior signings: 9

NINE.

Arnie

Anyway your definition of inflation is hilarious.

I never once said 'inflation', you clown. I said 'inflating', which means getting larger, which it is. A squad that's inflating is very different to a squad that's 'inflated'. It's like dealing with a child, seriously.

Shola Ameobi is a striker. End of.

When the squad Is almost completely deflated, saying that we are haphazardly inflating it is wrong and idiotic.

No it isn't. Do you honestly think it's a piece of piss to integrate ~five players mid-season?

Even with a full pre-season, making such substantial squad changes is difficult. Let alone when your entire club is under intense pressure to succeed, and is already struggling massively to win football matches.
The word haphazardly infers that there is no thought or strategy going into who we sign. This has been proven to be wrong in many occasions. Newcastle at acknowledged to be one of the teams that puts a lot of effort into scouting players
Again, you've dived in with two feet like you did when you saw the word 'inflating'.

I'm not saying there's no thought, I'm sure you've scouted these players, to think otherwise would be ludicrous, I'm saying that your strategy is both incredibly risky, and also unproven. French players can work, in moderation, but making wholesale transfers from that league is a risk, especially when, as I've gone over now multiple times, you're in the situation Newcastle currently are.

Top Bottom