• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT12| Kicked the Ballboy Like Stan Hit Ulrika

There's only one person to make you guys settle down, and calm
Luis-Suarez3-954x1024.jpg
the situation

Kyoufu

I never once said 'inflation', you clown. I said 'inflating', which means getting larger, which it is. A squad that's inflating is very different to a squad that's 'inflated'. It's like dealing with a child, seriously.

Shola Ameobi is a striker. End of.

Okay. If we're counting him then we have 2 strikers. Fantastic.

The fact is our squad needed to get larger but unfortunately it got smaller over the summer. So when a player like Cabaye or Ben Arfa was hit with injury, we had no suitable replacement. Nowhere near in fact.

Hence our huge drop in the table. Come on Arnie you should know the basics of squad requirements. If your key Liverpool players were injured and you had to call on U21 players who should be on loan, wouldn't you be absolutely livid at your club owner? (whatever his name is).

pulga

Banned
dc, the tabloids are saying Balotelli hosted a farewell dinner with some players at a restaurant. What's in the air at MCFC PR department?

Arnie

Okay. If we're counting him then we have 2 strikers. Fantastic.

So you fully admit that you're objectively, factually, unequivocally wrong for the second time in around 40 minutes. Fantastic.

When the squad Is almost completely deflated, saying that we are haphazardly inflating it is wrong and idiotic.

No it isn't. Do you honestly think it's a piece of piss to integrate ~five players mid-season?

Even with a full pre-season, making such substantial squad changes is difficult. Let alone when your entire club is under intense pressure to succeed, and is already struggling massively to win football matches.

And this isn't even factoring in Alan Pardew's abilities as a manager.
The word haphazardly infers that there is no thought or strategy going into who we sign. This has been proven to be wrong in many occasions. Newcastle at acknowledged to be one of the teams that puts a lot of effort into scouting players
Again, you've dived in with two feet like you did when you saw the word 'inflating'.

I'm not saying there's no thought, I'm sure you've scouted these players, to think otherwise would be ludicrous, I'm saying that your strategy is both incredibly risky, and also unproven. French players can work, in moderation, but making wholesale transfers from that league is a risk, especially when, as I've gone over now multiple times, you're in the situation Newcastle currently are.

I used to support the Leicester Tigers when I was into Rugby (and they were good) lolz.

Now I just follow the international game.

Rugby is an awesome sport to play. Had some real fun playing for school.

Kyoufu

No it isn't. Do you honestly think it's a piece of piss to integrate ~five players mid-season?.

Of course not. These players should have been bought in the summer. They weren't. That's that.

I don't get your point though. Are you suggesting we do nothing and carry on with our academy players and go down?

I think Mbiwa and Sissoko are going to be very good. I think Debuchy will be solid.

I think Gouffran will be rubbish. And unless Cisse finds his shooting boots I think Newcastle will continue to struggle a fair bit. Somebody has to be putting the chances away.

Wes

venison crêpe

One of my most triumphant moments in sport probably came playing Rugby. Year 6 county tournament. Quarter Final. Playing centre.

Huge pubertry struck guy came charging at me to run me over and score a try as we were defending the goalline. He went to put the ball down but I managed to fall down backwards, crossing my legs as doing so, and the ball hit my legs rather than the ground. No try. I was applauded for my ingenuity. Ever since then I've been falling down with style.

We ended up 3rd I think.

choodi

Banned
Again, you've dived in with two feet like you did when you saw the word 'inflating'.

I'm not saying there's no thought, I'm sure you've scouted these players, to think otherwise would be ludicrous, I'm saying that your strategy is both incredibly risky, and also unproven. French players can work, in moderation, but making wholesale transfers from that league is a risk, especially when, as I've gone over now multiple times, you're in the situation Newcastle currently are.

Yes it is risky, but in our current situation, I would rather buy a bunch of players that are familiar with each other from national team squads and from playing against each other, than buy a bunch of players who have never even seen each other in the flesh.

It's not like we haven't been linked or scouted or bought players from other nations/leagues anyway.

Anita was our only senior player over the summer and he is from Holland. We have also been linked with a number of other players from Holland too.

Comparing us to QPR who seemed to do their scouting through FIFA12 rankings (and seem to sign players based on games of FIFA12 - Loic Remy) is unfair and wrong.

Clegg

I used to support the Leicester Tigers when I was into Rugby (and they were good) lolz.

Now I just follow the international game.

You should watch Harlequins play. They're the most entertaining English team imo. Leinster have been the best team in Europe of the last few years. 3 European Cups in 4 years says it all really. We have a problem with O'Driscoll though. He's the best centre world rugby has ever had in it's professional era but he's gotten old and is making mistakes he never would have made when he was younger. He's 34 and made his debut for Ireland and Leinster when he was 19. Club and country still rely on him so much though. It's going to take a massive effort to readjust when he's gone. It's a similar situation to the United/Fergie thing.

Rugby is great to play. Except on wet days when the forwards decide to keep the ball for themselves. I'm a wing so when its raining I spend most of my time chasing high kicks and tackling. Barely ever see the ball on wet days.

vgJames

Banned
dc, the tabloids are saying Balotelli hosted a farewell dinner with some players at a restaurant. What's in the air at MCFC PR department?

They're either celebrating that they now have an easier job or are worried about being made redundant and are hoping Tevez does something mildly naughty.

Arnie

Of course not. These players should have been bought in the summer. They weren't. That's that.

I don't get your point though. Are you suggesting we do nothing and carry on with our academy players and go down?

I'm suggesting your sheer number of transfers will act as a hindrance, rather than a stimulant, and you'll slip even further into a relegation scrap.

If I was to suggest a course of action at the beginning of this transfer window, it would be to buy players regardless of whether they play in ligue 1. That you're buying the likes of Goufrann, and Haidara, is irritating to me, because they seem like pretentious signings. Just like Bosingwa, Granero, and Cisse annoyed me when they joined QPR.

Comparing us to QPR
I'm making broad comparisons to QPR because of the reasons I've outlined, and they're perfectly valid.

My words were QPRish, and inventing irrational bullshit (FIFA nonsense) to fit your little narrative, because you've embroiled yourself in an argument that you never fully understood, and still don't.

3Sixty

One of my most triumphant moments in sport probably came playing Rugby. Year 6 county tournament. Quarter Final. Playing centre.

Huge pubertry struck guy came charging at me to run me over and score a try as we were defending the goalline. He went to put the ball down but I managed to fall down backwards, crossing my legs as doing so, and the ball hit my legs rather than the ground. No try. I was applauded for my ingenuity. Ever since then I've been falling down with style.

We ended up 3rd I think.

I played an entire 2nd half with a sprained wrist during a college game. 2nd row. Everyone thought i was well hard. I was just too scared to come off and risk a bollocking lol

Kyoufu

Yes it is risky, but in our current situation, I would rather buy a bunch of players that are familiar with each other from national team squads and from playing against each other, than buy a bunch of players who have never even seen each other in the flesh.

It's not like we haven't been linked or scouted or bought players from other nations/leagues anyway.

Anita was our only senior player over the summer and he is from Holland. We have also been linked with a number of other players from Holland too.

Comparing us to QPR who seemed to do their scouting through FIFA12 rankings (and seem to sign players based on games of FIFA12 - Loic Remy) is unfair and wrong.

Nope. We are QPR.

2 million pounds net spend in the summer. We are QPR.

I'm suggesting your sheer number of transfers will act as a hindrance, rather than a stimulant, and you'll slip even further into a relegation scrap.

If I was to suggest a course of action at the beginning of this transfer window, it would be to buy players regardless of whether they play in ligue 1. That you're buying the likes of Goufrann, and Haidara, is irritating to me, because they seem like pretentious signings. Just like Bosingwa, Granero, and Cisse annoyed me when they joined QPR.

I can't say how good Haidara or Gouffran are but again, you're comparing our scouting system to QPR's when there is absolutely no comparison. Agents go to QPR and offer them players whereas we go out and scout players WE want.

You should watch Harlequins play. They're the most entertaining English team imo. Leinster have been the best team in Europe of the last few years. 3 European Cups in 4 years says it all really. We have a problem with O'Driscoll though. He's the best centre world rugby has ever had in it's professional era but he's gotten old and is making mistakes he never would have made when he was younger. He's 34 and made his debut for Ireland and Leinster when he was 19. Club and country still rely on him so much though. It's going to take a massive effort to readjust when he's gone. It's a similar situation to the United/Fergie thing.

Rugby is great to play. Except on wet days when the forwards decide to keep the ball for themselves. I'm a wing so when its raining I spend most of my time chasing high kicks and tackling. Barely ever see the ball on wet days.
Quins are good, I think they'd be my "local" team actually but I just don't have enough time to watch rugby consistently anymore. Or rather I have the time but I would rather watch other sports/do other things I guess.

As I said I'll always follow the internationals but I just cant be asked with the club game. Bit like Cricket for me.

O'Driscol reminds me of Keane :p

Clegg

Who is Balotelli's replacement? Doesn't look like they'd get Cavani/Falcao.

Balotelli was hardly adding much to the squad imo.

Dzeko/Aguero/Tevez are all playing better and scoring more than him.

Just give Guidetti that 4th striker spot.

Arnie

I can't say how good Haidara or Gouffran are but again, you're comparing our scouting system to QPR's when there is absolutely no comparison. Agents go to QPR and offer them players whereas we go out and scout players WE want.
No, and here's the crucial point that you've consistently missed:

You're going to Ligue 1 and then looking at the players you want.

I'm all for strengthening in a precarious position, but to do so with such a pretense, and at such a rate in a single window, is drawing comparisons with QPR this summer.

Nope. We are QPR.

2 million pounds net spend in the summer. We are QPR
You've genuinely gone mad.

It's like someone saying your hair looks messy so you shave your head.

Miguel Delaney ‏@MiguelDelaney
Wenger tomorrow: thinks this season he missed a "fantastic opprtunity" to challenge for title because no side is "untouchable"

I would focus on the CL spots for now Arsene.

LTWheels

Big Harlequins fan. I live in Twickenham. Been watching the play every since the days of Richmond being in the league. Quins and Liverpool are the only teams for me. It's great seeing how Harlequins have rebuilt the club from the ground up ever since they got relegated to now being a dominant team. After experiencing all that it makes me excited to see Liverpool start to rebuild themselves.

Clegg

Quins are good, I think they'd be my "local" team actually but I just don't have enough time to watch rugby consistently anymore. Or rather I have the time but I would rather watch other sports/do other things I guess.

As I said I'll always follow the internationals but I just cant be asked with the club game. Bit like Cricket for me.

O'Driscoll reminds me of Keane :p

Keane and O'Driscoll would be an apt comparison. Heart and soul for club and country. Except while Keane was the driving force for United it can be argued that he wasn't our best player in terms of technique. O'Driscoll was, and probably still is, our driving force and our most skillful player.

It's gonna be a real downer when he retires.

Here's a tribute video for anyone that's interested. It's probably the best one on youtube. Was done 2 years ago so it's missing his more recent games.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkRIhWXeuTQ

Kyoufu

No, and here's the crucial point that you've consistently missed:

You're going to Ligue 1 and then looking at the players you want.

I'm all for strengthening in a precarious position, but to do so with such a pretense, and at such a rate in a single window, is drawing comparisons with QPR this summer.

That's not true. We have scouts in Holland and South America also. We've been fruitless in our attempts at signing the De Jong brothers as well as some others from the Eredivisie. Anita was our only senior signing of the summer and he was from Ajax..

I guess you could say Bigirimana counts as a senior player now (I still think he should be on loan) and he was bought from Coventry City. We don't buy exlusively from France. Our signings have been long term targets. It just so happens that only our French targets are willing to fly over this window.

edit: Oh and Cisse was from Bundesliga.

Randdalf

I just ended up watching the highlights of a match from the early 1998 season between Arsenal and Man Utd (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Bi4VyTyUi0)

I thought three things by the end of it:
  • The Arsenal and Man Utd teams of 1998 would have annihilated their modern counterparts, and those weren't even their best teams. Patrick Viera truly lives up to the name of Patrick Viera, he was absolutely beasting the midfield like no other supposed Patrick Viera of the modern era has ever done. Man Utd had Keane, Giggs and Beckham (Scholes wasn't even playing) and they won the title the season this game was played in. The football was technical, pacy, strong and there was some bite to it as well, players who were there for more than the money. There was also a sign of things to come as a young Anelka and Ljungberg both played in the match, perhaps Arsene's disappointing youth players of late have simply been down to bad luck rather than losing his eye for a good player.
  • The commentary by Alan Parry, I felt, was wonderful simply because there wasn't a colour commentator there to spout his opinion, repeat what had already been described and ultimately be an annoying influence.You look nowadays at colour "commentators" like Niall Quinn who does an absolutely torrid job and can honestly make a game quite unenjoyable by speaking over the top of it. I honestly think Sky should stop being the port of call for ex-footballers trying to get some cash in between management jobs and just have the one commentator on a match, doing what they do best. It's all the more disappointing that commentators like Motson have retired from doing live football on television.
  • Arsenal and Man Utd were rich clubs at the time because of their large fan bases, but damn if foreign billionaires haven't completely corrupted the top level of the English game. Man City and Chelsea have both bought their way to the title, leaving other clubs trailing in their wake, it's only because of their enduring popularity 15-20 years ago that clubs like Arsenal (who are struggling to do so now) and Man Utd are able to compete on their level financially. There are teams like Everton and Swansea who get by admirably with low budgets and good management though, which is a fresh sight to see. Obviously it was the instantiation of the PL that brought this situation about, we even catch Parry musing about Beckham's transfer fee were he to ever be sold. I honestly think that football is going to crash, badly, in the future. We've already seen what happens when the money runs out, like with my Portsmouth, financial destitution and relegation. What happens when one of the "big" (i.e. propped up by a rich owner) clubs goes bust? I honestly think that domestic financial fair play is the way to go, perhaps even take the approach that Germany takes and require fans to have a 51% stake in the club (not that any PL club would agree to that).

Kind of a lot to interpret from a 26 minute highlights package, but I think it needs to be said.

Rather glad Balotelli seems to be going, too much hassle for barely any return. Would love to see Cavani at the club but this is a good chance for Guidetti.

Wilbur

Banned
Wilbury, you better not be one of those people who doesn't turn their phone off during the film.

Keep it on silent bro

Django's even better the second time round by the way guys. Seen it twice in three days, saw it off half an hours sleep in the last 45 hours and I still fucking loved it.

Well done to Bradford!

Haven't read past Wes' post, hope someone helped Roybr. I could have helped last month but unfortunately I'm on O2 now.

Welcome to all new juniors. Don't let people tell you I'm a paedophile

Arnie

That's not true. We have scouts in Holland and South America also. We've been fruitless in our attempts at signing the De Jong brothers as well as some others from the Eredivisie. Anita was our only senior signing of the summer and he was from Ajax..

I guess you could say Bigirimana counts as a senior player now (I still think he should be on loan) and he was bought from Coventry City. We don't buy exlusively from France. Our signings have been long term targets. It just so happens that only our French targets are willing to fly over this window.
Jesus christ, not again, please don't do this again.

This window. This window. This window.

Didn't have an issue with Newcastle's transfer policy in the summer, other than them signing fuck all players. If this week you'd bought a Dutch lad, a German lad, and the two really promising French lads then I wouldn't be having this argument. It's that you're inflating your squad with purely French lads that's causing me issue, and doing so at such an insane rate (which could, and does destabilise squads).

What's a cheesus?

Capra Demon time

Dark Souls=Demon's Souls

The changes serve to make the game different, rather than better or worse imo. I do miss the Nexus and Maiden in Black though

Arnie is still sour about Sneijder.

Coutinho would heal those wounds but adriano999 is pretty sure that it's not happening. Somebody will be let down - I look forwards to it.
It's not that i'm 100% sure but selling your best two AM in the january transfer window isn't it kind of retarded? All those english news site are so convinced(like two years ago with Wes) about Cou joining Liverpool that some of them are even saying he could play on sunday despite him being injured. :lol
Hope Liverpool will get him, so both of them will be let down.
We'll replace him with Dybala when Palermo gets relegated. :D

Arnie

It's not that i'm 100% sure but selling your best two AM in the january transfer window isn't it kind of retarded? All those english news site are so convinced(like two years ago with Wes) about Cou joining Liverpool that some of them are even saying he could play on sunday despite him being injured. :lol

The Telegraph article, the one you're referring to, said Rodgers hopes to complete the signing ahead of the cup match against Oldham, not that he would play.

choodi

Banned

I'm making broad comparisons to QPR because of the reasons I've outlined, and they're perfectly valid.

My words were QPRish, and inventing irrational bullshit (FIFA nonsense) to fit your little narrative, because you've embroiled yourself in an argument that you never fully understood, and still don't.

You don't make any sense at all.

We are not buying players because they are from Ligue 1, we are buying players because they fit or system, needs and situation. End of story.

If you want to convince yourself that our only criteria this window has been where they play, then you are being ridiculous.

Gouffran and Haidara are the kind of players that we have been buying for the past few years now. Young, cheap and full of potential. Why those players in particular make you mad is beyond me.

Arnie

:lol

Genuinely just read that before I posted but didn't read below the links to see that final, remaining line.

You don't make any sense at all.

We are not buying players because they are from Ligue 1, we are buying players because they fit or system, needs and situation. End of story.

If you want to convince yourself that our only criteria this window has been where they play, then you are being ridiculous.

Gouffran and Haidara are the kings of players that we have been buying for the past few years now. Young, cheap and full of potential. Why those players in particular make you mad is beyond me.
No, you don't make any sense.

I've not once said 'Newcastle make me mad'. You've pulled that out of your anus, as is becoming habit. And yes, you are buying players with the proviso that they're French, and from Ligue 1. There are tons of players out there who're cheap, and full of potential, but they don't play in Ligue 1. The sheer number of players you're buying under this direction is reminding me of QPR's rush to sign old, unwanted journeymen in the summer, hence the vague comparison 'QPRish'.

You're just wrong. You and Kyoufu.

Kyoufu

Jesus christ, not again, please don't do this again.

This window. This window. This window.

Didn't have an issue with Newcastle's transfer policy in the summer, other than them signing fuck all players. If this week you'd bought a Dutch lad, a German lad, and the two really promising French lads then I wouldn't be having this argument. It's that you're inflating your squad with purely French lads that's causing me issue, and doing so at such an insane rate (which could, and does destabilise squads).

I see your point but we've tried to bring in other nationalities and failed.

I don't see the problem though if they do their job. Football is football.

Top Bottom