• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT12| Kicked the Ballboy Like Stan Hit Ulrika

Not played footy in over a month, off to play five a side. Physically buzzing. It's pissing it down and I'm wearing normal sized, white, athletic socks (no shinnies). I look ready to do damage.

Also, as part of my London survival guide I bought some Hunter S Thompson before. Going HAM on that campaign trail.
The only way.

Salazar

Duncan Castles ‏@DuncanCastles
Rolando's preference to join Napoli as #QPR ask Portugal defender to name his own salary.

tumblr_me5d52d7px1rkpn0snm.jpg

Also, as part of my London survival guide I bought some Hunter S Thompson before. Going HAM on that campaign trail.

The Great Shark Hunt ? Fucking stunning book.

Salazar

So appropriate that Martin Samuel brings in Harry as a voice of some moral and financial sanity in his polemic about getting rid of transfer windows, and then Harry jogs about telling players to name their salary, lol.

Samba's doubtless been made the same offer to get him to the table. So QPR would be paying him more than Anzhi, I guess. That just makes bundles of sense.

Randdalf

I think the only team 100% down are Reading, despite some positive recent victories.

If I had to put money on it right now, it would be Reading, QPR and Villa.

Reading, Soton and Villa for me. I can see Norwich and West Ham getting drawn in as well. I think Harry will just about manage to keep QPR up, provided he makes some more signings.

Meier

Hi Footygaf. Don't really post often but I do lurk :) How is it that Milan get players on such great deals? I'm hearing the Balotelli news and not only was he only 20 Million but to be payed over 6 years? Didn't they get a great deal for Ibra from Barca? I need to take their negotiator to my next job interview/car purchase.
The Balotelli case is a special one since City don't really need the cash and they knew his head and heart was in Italy already. The fact all the Italian clubs are broke and/or do a good job at acting that way makes negotiating with them tough it seems.

The amount they got for Kaká even after City's supposed huge bid some time before was still quite impressive. Madrid got strapped over a barrel especially in retrospect.

So appropriate that Martin Samuel brings in Harry as a voice of some moral and financial sanity in his polemic about getting rid of transfer windows, and then Harry jogs about telling players to name their salary, lol.

Samba's doubtless been made the same offer to get him to the table. So QPR would be paying him more than Anzhi, I guess. That just makes bundles of sense.

I'm sure he said something along the lines of 'we can't sign these players on massive wages now, its too risky.'

Then he signs Remy and tries buying Samba, both of them on massive wages which would cripple the club if they get relegated

And he's been moaning about the squad size apparently, when they have a big enough squad to field a different team full of internationals in the FA Cup

They're doing a Leeds, except they're banking on survival rather than Champions League football

edit: lol Karl Henry. Wilshere is a poor tackler, and his goalscoring record is pretty poor. Its not his game obviously, and he doesn't take many shots, but the point stands

Put the Cerberus stuff on the fucking disc, you cheap cunts!

I put the disc in about 40 minutes ago it feels like. Consoles catching up with PC confirmed

Salazar

BBC reporting that Samba is on his way to England to speak with QPR.

lol

"Chris, Chris - you write down a figure, me old son, and it'll be in your account every fortnight. I won't even look at the figure, how's that, how's that. You just seal the envelope and give it to Nancy at reception"

I'm not fucking surprised Samba is willing to hear him out.

Relegation=Administration

Redknapp: *shrugs*

edit: lol, they kept the pixellated disc loading icon
What else is he supposed to do though?

A manager in his position knows that team needs investment. If they don't sign players they are getting relegated most likely and administration is knocking on the door.

IMO they are better off going for it. If they get relegated they are screwed anyways. I can see why they're doing it, they have very wealthy owners.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Claudio Marchisio has apologised to Juventus fans for failing to book his side a place in the Coppa Italia Final.

The midfielder virtually had an open goal to aim at in the closing stages of the 2-1 loss to Lazio last night, but he fired wide.

Had he scored then the Old Lady would have qualified on the away goal rule.

We I forgive you, baby.

The fact all the Italian clubs are broke and/or do a good job at acting that way makes negotiating with them tough it seems.

Definitely this one
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif

Kyoufu

What else is he supposed to do though?

A manager in his position knows that team needs investment. If they don't sign players they are getting relegated most likely and administration is knocking on the door.

IMO they are better off going for it. If they get relegated they are screwed anyways. I can see why they're doing it, they have very wealthy owners.

Isn't Tony Fernandes only a millionaire?

Isn't Tony Fernandes only a millionaire?
Tony Fernandes himself isn't super rich. But I don't think it's his money only going into the club.

The Mittal family now own 33% (they owned 20% when Briatore was the principal owner). I would guess they are also funding the club.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Clough was being interviewed by the BBC’s John Motson, he was asked what Nottingham Forest’s priorities were for the upcoming season, given that they were defending the European Cup and seen as favorites in contention for the Football League, FA Cup, and League Cup. Clough responded in a rather bold and hilarious manner:

“The Football League, always has been and always will be (our top priority). I would gladly go out of the European Cup, the Football League Cup, and the FA Cup, which we’re not even in yet. I would gladly go out of all of them tomorrow if you could guarantee me winning the Football League.”
John Motson quickly asked why Clough felt so strongly about the Football League being his top priority. Clough responded in a rather harsh manner yet again, but he did so with a lot of insight, making it clear how tough it really is to win a League Championship:

“Because that (the Football League) is the one that you have to have every single aspect of football management about you to win it. You’ve got to have endurance, you’ve got to have talent, you’ve got to be a little bit daft, you’ve got to have strength, psychology, you name it, and of course, you’ve got to have very good players, but it’s a real endurance battle over nine or ten months

Hear, hear.

Wilbur

Banned
Hear, hear.

Yep. Chelsea were not the best team in Europe last year by a long stretch. But Madrid/Juve/Dortmund/City were all unarguably the best teams in their leagues.

Its funny though, when United win the league there's always conversations about how weak the league is :lol

Kyoufu

Tony Fernandes himself isn't super rich. But I don't think it's his money only going into the club.

The Mittal family now own 33% (they owned 20% when Briatore was the principal owner). I would guess they are also funding the club.

Just checked their net worth...

16 billion...

Golfham.

Yep. Chelsea were not the best team in Europe last year by a long stretch. But Madrid/Juve/Dortmund/City were all unarguably the best teams in their leagues.

Its funny though, when United win the league there's always conversations about how weak the league is :lol
The league has been shit every year apart from in 2009 when Liverpool should have been Champions.

BBC reporting that Samba is on his way to England to speak with QPR.

That would be a great signing for them.

Would it? Another mercenary to add to the collection, the fee is believed to be around £10m?

Gotta love Harry, "club is wasting too much money on wages" then goes and buys a load of foreign talent all wanting a big pay day.

Hope they go down, horrible club and it just shows what Harry is like. I'm amazed we kept him in line for so long!

Jesus could you imagine our line up if he was let free on the transfers.

David James, Gary Neville, Samba, Gallas, Phil Neville, Parker, Huddlestone, SWP, Remy, Crouch, Adebayor.

With a bench consisting of Friedel, Ben Haim, Kranjcar, Defoe. (the last two would be fine but they would be benched every game in favour of his favourite 11).

Would it? Another mercenary to add to the collection, the fee is believed to be around £10m?

Gotta love Harry, "club is wasting too much money on wages" then goes and buys a load of foreign talent all wanting a big pay day.

Hope they go down, horrible club and it just shows what Harry is like. I'm amazed we kept him in line for so long!

Jesus could you imagine our line up if he was let free on the transfers.

David James, Gary Neville, Samba, Gallas, Phil Neville, Parker, Huddlestone, SWP, Remy, Crouch, Adebayor.

With a bench consisting of Friedel, Ben Haim, Kranjcar, Defoe. (the last two would be fine but they would be benched every game in favour of his favourite 11).
Who is going to sign for them who isn't a mercenary?

They need better players, simple as that. Samba is better than their current CB's.

Feorax

I'm genuinely shocked that I've not seen the old "this is the worst United side I've ever seen" line trotted out this season.

Just having Van Persie makes it very difficult to say that. He makes the team look good sometimes even in poor games.

Last year, however, was pretty bad. Especially when Rooney was out of form.

That's because we remember last season.

Doesn't usually stop people.

Feorax said:
Just having Van Persie makes it very difficult to say that. He makes the team look good sometimes even in poor games.

Last year, however, was pretty bad. Especially when Rooney was out of form.

Our football was fairly dull last season with the odd decent performance. Still, some forget we used to have the likes of Quinton Fortune, Kleberson, Djemba-Djemba, Bellion and Liam Miller. And that's without mentioning the keepers we went through before we got to VDS.

Who is going to sign for them who isn't a mercenary?

They need better players, simple as that. Samba is better than their current CB's.

Someone who doesn't cost £10m and will be on £90,000+ a week?

He is very much a 1 player person Harry, we were rumoured to be after Samba for 2 years before he finally left Blackburn, so glad we didn't get him for £12m.

The answer just seems to be "splash x amount of money on a position and hope for the best". Rather than "well this squad is actually doing well, a couple of great home draws, if we could get a few loans/cheaper deals in, we have a fighting chance. Instead they're on course to spend around £25-30m?

Guess the new tv money is worth spending that much....but it's going to be an ugly site in May if they go down and I know the first person who will leave...

Someone who doesn't cost £10m and will be on £90,000+ a week?

He is very much a 1 player person Harry, we were rumoured to be after Samba for 2 years before he finally left Blackburn, so glad we didn't get him for £12m.

The answer just seems to be "splash x amount of money on a position and hope for the best". Rather than "well this squad is actually doing well, a couple of great home draws, if we could get a few loans/cheaper deals in, we have a fighting chance. Instead they're on course to spend around £25-30m?

Guess the new tv money is worth spending that much....but it's going to be an ugly site in May if they go down and I know the first person who will leave...
So who do they sign?

A good player with experience, preferably PL experience, who is willing to come to them, who costs less than £5m and will accept less than £40k a week. There is nobody.

They are going down right now. For sure. They need players.

I know it's not sustainable and it's a massive risk - but if they want to try and stay up they may aswell go all in.

So who do they sign?

A good player with experience, preferably PL experience, who is willing to come to them, who costs less than £5m and will accept less than £40k a week. There is nobody.

They are going down right now. For sure. They need players.

I know it's not sustainable and it's a massive risk - but if they want to try and stay up they may aswell go all in.

William fucking Gallas?

I'd take anything for him. We have Vertonghen, Dawson, Caulker and the return of the Kaboul. Anything but seeing Gallas near the side again.

Or Jonathan Woodgate?

Top Bottom