• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT12| Kicked the Ballboy Like Stan Hit Ulrika

G-Unit

Yeah, it's the same as I guess in all European domestic cups.

Real Madrid need to score at least one, which they are definitely capable of doing. Still, nice to start from a slight advantage for us.

A couple of tactical observations on the game:
- Barca trying more over the top through balls than previously, worked this time as well releasing Pedro well and would've had Messi through without the (totally wrong) offside call. Interesting to see if this will work against teams parking the bus completely, as we are now inviting opposition to pressure higher up.
- The lack of natural strikers is something that I struggle with. Sure, Del Bosque was able to win the Euros by playing 4-6-0 but I would love to see Villa play more. I think today Barca could've nicked a second goal if there was a player in addition to Messi who would attack the opposition goal more.

I think villa is gone, there was no reasoin to not put him today

Carrick needs a rest. Think Fergie needs to give some of the players a rest.
Clev's had the last 2 games off so hopefully he's going to be refreshed.

Carrick does need a rest but the damn problem is there is nobody else to come in and do his job. Jones has looked decent-ish the last couple of weeks playing there but it's not really something I'd want to see us trying for longer than 15/20 mins.

pulga

Banned
Yeah, it's the same as I guess in all European domestic cups.

Real Madrid need to score at least one, which they are definitely capable of doing. Still, nice to start from a slight advantage for us.

A couple of tactical observations on the game:
- Barca trying more over the top through balls than previously, worked this time as well releasing Pedro well and would've had Messi through without the (totally wrong) offside call. Interesting to see if this will work against teams parking the bus completely, as we are now inviting opposition to pressure higher up.
- The lack of natural strikers is something that I struggle with. Sure, Del Bosque was able to win the Euros by playing 4-6-0 but I would love to see Villa play more. I think today Barca could've nicked a second goal if there was a player in addition to Messi who would attack the opposition goal more.

It's insane what's been done to Villa. He's a fantastic striker, much better than Pedro and Alolexis combined. Send him to Juve, PLEASE. I guess Messi's kiss of death is too strong.

Clegg

We need both. We need Wanyama as a physical presence and somebody who can play in that Carrick role. And we need Stroot to add dynamism from midfield going forward. That is Anderson but he's way too inconsistent with it.

If we signed both we'd have a midfield set of: Carrick, Wanyama, Cleverley, Anderson, Strootman.

And then you have options like Powell who is young and maybe Fletcher. Giggs maybe twice a season. Scholes is retiring.

That would be ideal. It's attainable for £25m. Don't understand why we don't just do it.

I think SAF wants to give Ando and Clev as much time as possible to succeed. Harder to do that if there are other options to select. He also signed a few outright flops in the mid 00's. Maybe thats putting him off making another expensive CM signing signing.

But yeah. Scholes and Giggs don't have much time left and neither does Fletcher imo. We need two new midfielders. At best, we'll sign 1.

I think SAF wants to give Ando and Clev as much time as possible to succeed. Harder to do that if there are other options to select. He also signed a few outright flops in the mid 00's. Maybe thats putting him off making another expensive CM signing signing.

But yeah. Scholes and Giggs don't have much time left and neither does Fletcher imo. We need two new midfielders. At best, we'll sign 1.
Perhaps but it's a squad isn't it, that's 5 players there for 2/3 roles. Everyone will get playing time, same way our forwards do.

I'm fairly sure we will sign one in the summer but I really hope it is two. Scholes, Fletcher and Giggs should be taken out of consideration. Problem is at least two of them will still be on the wage bill.

K1LLER7

Clev's had the last 2 games off so hopefully he's going to be refreshed.

Carrick does need a rest but the damn problem is there is nobody else to come in and do his job. Jones has looked decent-ish the last couple of weeks playing there but it's not really something I'd want to see us trying for longer than 15/20 mins.
Yep, we need a DM. We might be able to get away with playing Scholes alongside Cleverly against Fulham but in the summer, get Wanayama and Strootz/Eriksen/Anydecentmidfieler

pulga

Banned
Arsenal FC - Liverpool FC 2:2
Norwich City - Tottenham Hotspur 1:1
Everton FC - West Bromwich Albion 2:1
Manchester United - Southampton FC 2:1
Reading FC - Chelsea FC 2:2
Fulham FC - West Ham United 3:1

LOOOOOOL CHELSEA

Anyone got links to the goals in the United, Chelsea and LFC-ARS matches?

f8d7bbe32670e9f2362c648aba818369.gif

Wat.

No fuss over this goal?

That's a fucking immense goal.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Gibbs is out for 3 weeks (which in Arsenal speak means 3 months). Santos v Bayern?

f8d7bbe32670e9f2362c648aba818369.gif

Wat.

No fuss over this goal?

That's a fucking immense goal.

It was wonderful, Holtby set that break up as well. We were unlucky not to win, Gylfi had a piledriver saved at the end.

Clegg

Perhaps but it's a squad isn't it, that's 5 players there for 2/3 roles. Everyone will get playing time, same way our forwards do.

I'm fairly sure we will sign one in the summer but I really hope it is two. Scholes, Fletcher and Giggs should be taken out of consideration. Problem is at least two of them will still be on the wage bill.

Tbh we can speculate as to why SAF doesn't want to bring in more CMs but only he really knows. A more defensive minded midfielder is necessary but so is someone with Carrick's passing ability. None of our current midfielders are up to his level bar Scholes. But Paul isn't a long term option.

pulga

Banned
No. Racism is rife in Serie A but you already knew that. I'm sure Coutinho is suitably prepared.

Don't mind him, no doubt when Coutinho explodes at Liverpool he'll be fellating himself over his imminent move to PSG and powerhouse Ligue 1.

Salazar

Rob Harris ‏@RobHarris
#MUFC: It's emerged tonight that 8% of Man United's shares on NYSE are now owned by investment firm BlackRock

BlackRock, Inc. (NYSE: BLK) is an American multinational investment management corporation and the world's largest asset manager. Headquartered in New York City, . The company acquired Barclays Global Investors in December 2009, solidifying its position as the largest investment manager in the world. As of September 30, 2012, BlackRock has $3.67 trillion in assets under management. Street Authority reported that, "If the company were a country, then its assets under management would put it at the fourth largest in terms of gross domestic product, higher than Germany or France."

Founded in 1988, initially offering fixed income products, BlackRock has since become a power financial vehicle while remaining somewhat out of the public eye. According to Ralph Schlosstein, CEO of Evercore Partners, a NY-based investment bank: “BlackRock today is one of, if not the, most influential financial institutions in the world.”

Yo Viva, are we bothered ?

pulga

Banned
251086hp2.jpg

1359584820_219552_1359584865_noticia_normal.jpg

<3

How about those Varane gifs, Sunhi?!

He also had this to say:

Godrane said:
&#8220;Es un partido que siempre recordaré, es un sueño con tan solo 19 años&#8221;, dijo tras el encuentro.

&#8220;Me voy contento por mi actuación y por la del equipo. Ahora debo seguir así&#8221;, añadió. Reconoció que los jugadores le felicitaron tras el partido. &#8220;Mourinho me dijo que diera lo máximo que tengo y después del partido mis compañeros me felicitaron&#8221;. Por último reconoció que &#8220;no fue el mejor resultado, pero deja abierta la clasificación&#8221;.

:lol :lol :lol

I just want Varane, CR7, Capoue, Aurier, and a good left back.

You forgot Fatcao.

Suen

Great and intensive match. Overall both Barca and Madrid wasted many chances. I thought Madrid did quite good in the first half, created lots of chances but couldn't finish. I expected this to carry on to the second half and see them finally make use of these chances but instead they ended up playing even worse. Not only did they keep wasting chances but the passes were like shit. Overall I agree with what PantyPhantom said. Madrid played pretty much like crap, the opportunities created in the first half should have given them the boost needed but they ended up getting tired and playing worse. In terms of defense I didn't expect much, no player from our primary defense was playing and it was horrendous. Still considering the defense we had I'm surprised we managed to hold out against Barca. Diego made a good effort and Varane was pretty much the best player on the pitch, made the rest of the team look pretty bad. If it wasn't for Varane and Barca doing a shit job at finishing we could have lost quite bad. The defense need to sort its shit out. Considering how impressive Varane was today he should get more time to play. Ramos, Pepe, Marcelo and Varane. Varane can replace Coentrao and Arbeloa, fucking useless.

Oh and fuck Alves. What a piece of shit.

G-Unit

Great and intensive match. Overall both Barca and Madrid wasted many chances. I thought Madrid did quite good in the first half, created lots of chances but couldn't finish. I expected this to carry on to the second half and see them finally make use of these chances but instead they ended up playing even worse. Not only did they keep wasting chances but the passes were like shit. Overall I agree with what PantyPhantom said. Madrid played pretty much like crap, the opportunities created in the first half should have given them the boost needed but they ended up getting tired and playing worse. In terms of defense I didn't expect much, no player from our primary defense was playing and it was horrendous. Still considering the defense we had I'm surprised we managed to hold out against Barca. Diego made a good effort and Varane was pretty much the best player on the pitch, made the rest of the team look pretty bad. If it wasn't for Varane and Barca doing a shit job at finishing we could have lost quite bad. The defense need to sort its shit out. Considering how impressive Varane was today he should get more time to play. Ramos, Pepe, Marcelo and Varane. Varane can replace Coentrao and Arbeloa, fucking useless.

Oh and fuck Alves. What a piece of shit.

So how was the ref? and scum alonso?

K1LLER7

Today Lampard reached double figures for 10 seasons in a row.

196 goals for a midfielder. Can't think of a better goal scoring midfielder.

Zabojnik

What's with the ACON website? It's fucking useless. I need to check how Ghana is doing in Group B. ASAMOAH, WE NEED YOU BABY, COME BACK.

DominoKid

it's always weird to see soccer lead off SportsCenter here.
it never stops being amusing to hear our guys butcher these players names.

smh @ Pedro for missing that goal.

Arnie

Bale goal is fucking sublime.

Can see Madrid, Barca, and Bayern fighting for him in the summer. Levy's going to milk it dry.

Top Bottom