• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT14| Only Wilbury's belly is smoother than BAAAYEEERNs season

Status
Not open for further replies.
The stupid thing to do is to turn it into a massive argument like Dyer did. It's incredibly unprofessional.

edit: Yes, it would have been nice if De Guzman let him take it. But if he's the penalty taker and he wants to take it himself then Dyer should shut the fuck up and get on with the game.

Game was done and dusted at the 3rd goal, if not before the red card. Dyer had the opportunity to get a hat trick in a final at Wembley. De Guzman doesn't need to take the penalty - he should acknowledge his team mate and help him get that special third.

Designated penalty takers are there to make sure the penalty is scored in a match. But that's in the context of a competitive match that is yet to be won. It's not like De Guzman beat four men and rounded the keeper with Dyer beside him waiting for a past.

Dyer may never get another chance to get a hat trick at a cup final. It could be his last. It won't be De Guzman's last penalty. Why you guys cant appreciate the nuance of this is beyond me

And De Guzman is how likely to get a chance to score any goal in a cup final again?

Game was done and dusted at the 3rd goal, if not before the red card. Dyer had the opportunity to get a hat trick in a final at Wembley. De Guzman doesn't need to take the penalty - he should acknowledge his team mate and help him get that special third.

Designated penalty takers are there to make sure the penalty is scored in a match. But that's in the context of a competitive match that is yet to be won. It's not like De Guzman beat four men and rounded the keeper with Dyer beside him waiting for a pass; this was a unique situation

Dyer may never get another chance to get a hat trick at a cup final. It could be his last. It won't be De Guzman's last penalty. Why you guys cant appreciate the nuance of this is beyond me
De Guzman might never get another chance to score in a cup final.

Dyer's already scored twice.

Goes both ways. And so it comes down to who the taker is. If De Guzman gave it up that's nice of him but he isn't obliged to.

The stupid thing to do is to turn it into a massive argument like Dyer did. It's incredibly unprofessional.
And this. I don't blame him for asking but he was crying like a kid. Fucking hell.

Designated penalty takers are there to make sure the penalty is scored in a match. But that's in the context of a competitive match that is yet to be won. It's not like De Guzman beat four men and rounded the keeper with Dyer beside him waiting for a pass; this was a unique situation

You're hilarious. All your arguments can be used the other way around too, Guzman might never get the chance to score in a finale again either. Dyer acted like a twat, FM creator knows what's up

Miles Jacobson @milesSI
If I was Swansea manager, Dyer would already have been substitu

I love how sky think rules shouldn't be used when a team is a bit shit

Bradford have done amazing to get here but lets not start making concessions for them now

why does he deserve a hat-trick? the team comes first.

The team doesn't need a 4th. Were this 3-2, and Swansea got a penalty, I doubt you'd see Dyer asking to take the penalty and were he to I would not support his claim. In keeping with the principle of team first, it was arguably De Guzman who failed that by opting to seize a single goal for himself rather than selflessly hand a special third to a team mate.

When you're 3-0 up against 10 men, and have a penalty, 'designated penalty' takers loses all meaning.

jtb

Banned
You're hilarious. All your arguments can be used the other way around too, Guzman might never get the chance to score in a finale again either. Dyer acted like a twat, FM creator knows what's up

Miles Jacobson @milesSI

Miles is a cunt too though.

The team doesn't need a 4th. Were this 3-2, and Swansea got a penalty, I doubt you'd see Dyer asking to take the penalty and were he to I would not support his claim. In keeping with the principle of team first, it was arguably De Guzman who failed that by opting to seize a single goal for himself rather than selflessly hand a special third to a team mate.

When you're 3-0 up against 10 men, and have a penalty, 'designated penalty' takers loses all meaning.
Can't you see that it might be special for De Guzman to score in a final at Wembley?

Miles Jacobson @milesSI

If you were bright enough to comprehend what I wrote, you would have understood I said 'hat trick' and not merely a goal; Dyer was the one on a hat trick in a final, not De Guzman.

Bumhead

Banned
Bradford haven't been good tbh.

I think some people are forgetting Bradford are a fourth division side, up against what is one of the best teams in the country at the moment.

Obviously you always hope the underdog can do just about enough to remain competitive, but Swansea are a very strong side. Bradford were always likely to struggle once they went 1-0 down.

A shame, but they've already won getting this far. The money earned from reaching this final will keep them in business and put them in great stead to get out of League Two next season, which is easily more important for them than today is.

It would be so awesome if De Guzman scored a goal now from open play and then Swansea get a penalty in the 90th minute.

PLEASE HAPPEN PLEASE

And De Guzman is how likely to get a chance to score any goal in a cup final again?

Yeah, I can understand the allure of scoring that penalty at Wembley in a cup final - it's probably a dream for most.

But still, Dyer deserved that opportunity. De Guzman is playing in a team, and what better way to reward your fellow team mate (who's played amazingly and contributed two goals) in a cup final than to let him get his hat trick.

The game is over, a penalty in a final is one thing, but a hat trick?

Kyoufu

I got that much. :lol

A hattrick in the end is as meaningless as De Guzman getting a goal.

Are you saying...

going in the history books as the first player to score a hattrick in the league cup final is as meaningless as scoring a goal?

wat

I think Rafa has gotten to your head.

I'd say just scoring at Wembley is equally as special for most

Stropping and not wanting other people to share in that is greedy

I'd say a hat trick at Wembley is proportionally more special than a single goal. C'mon now, while a goal at Wembley is important, a hat trick is on a whole other level - any player would try for that.

jtb

Banned
Are you saying...

going in the history books as the first player to score a hattrick in the league cup final is as meaningless as scoring a goal?

wat

they're not there to get a player to score his hat-trick, they're there to win a trophy.

Are you saying...

wat

All of this presumes that these guys were up last night checking to see if anybody has scored a hat-trick in the final before and went out there wanting to be that one guy.

So if that's the case then fuck them.

Dyer wanted it to score a hat-trick in the final. Fine. De Guzman wanted it to score in the final.

Unless you're seriously suggesting Dyer wouldn't have cared if 2 or 3 other players had scored a hat trick in the final before.

Zabojnik

So happy for Laudrup.

Maybe he'll be back one day ... After Conte retires, I mean.

michael-laudrup1.jpg

elseanio

they're not there to get a player to score his hat-trick, they're there to win a trophy.

The trophy was already won.

If de Guzman wasn't the one who was denied an open goal, then I'd say he should have given it to Dyer. As he was denied, then its fair enough he wanted his chance to get on the score sheet.

End of the day I couldn't give a shit I just think its hilarious when people can't see both sides to an argument
Exactly.

If De Guzman gave it up for Dyer to get his hat-trick then good on him, that's a great gesture.

And it's great gesture cos 1) he's looking out for his team-mate but 2) he's passing up an amazing personal opportunity.

Can't you see where I said this is about a hat trick in a final and not a mere goal?

Yes I think everyone can see that. It's not just a goal for Guzman though and I certainly don't think it was a cunt move to want to take it, starting to argue about it like Dyer though? That is a cunt move.

Are you saying...

wat

I'm saying it's just as important to Guzman and he should take the penalty if he wants to, Dyer certainly shouldn't act like a little offended kid then when Guzman takes his decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom