• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT14| Only Wilbury's belly is smoother than BAAAYEEERNs season

Status
Not open for further replies.

fuenf

Uncharted does lots of things wrong in my opinion. Whilst it looks beautiful and I love the characters, the combat and platforming is total shit. It's the sort of game that I look forward to the next cutscene.

True. The main appeal of Uncharted are the characters and the storytelling. I loved UC2 because it felt like an Indiana Jones meets Michael Bay movie. UC3 was a mess on the other hand (just a giant collection of set pieces).

Seriously who cares about these guys? I hate video game nerds and most of the gaming side here anyway. Nobody seems to be happy with anything anymore... haters gonna hate.

Salvadora

Platforming I agree is a bit shitty, the combat felt great in UC2 though and also in UC3 at least after the patch.
I groan when it comes to one of those encounters especially
when it's those supernatural things that are bullet sponges or the shitty bosses.
It's very overrated, possibly because it's platform exclusive.

jtb

Banned
Seriously who cares about these guys? I hate video game nerds and most of the gaming side here anyway. Nobody seems to be happy with anything anymore... haters gonna hate.

Haha I agree with the "fuck nerds" and "fuck gaming side" sentiment, but I think the more worrying thing is the whole "You can't break the review embargo unless you post a positive review." Though, the whole incestuous relationship with the gaming press and industry is nothing new.

@dc, it seems a bit ridiculous that they edited that out of GoT, its such a massive plot point with huge ramifications for the rest of the series. Put me off watching it a bit, tbh

@Meus, your suggestion wouldn't promote flair and technique, it'd encourage mechanical, slow buildup play, with the defenders recycling possession for 20 seconds before moving the ball further up the pitch.

The only way it could possibly 'work'(it'd still be rubbish) would be to only count passes made within 30 yards of the goal. And once you're in that area, the ball has to stay in there to earn the extra points

9wexYfR.jpg

What an amazing sport that'd be.

Football would be beyond dead within a month

I groan when it comes to one of those encounters especially
when it's those supernatural things that are bullet sponges or the shitty bosses.
It's very overrated, possibly because it's platform exclusive.

No I genuinely loved UC2, it's probably my game of this generation and has nothing to do with it being platform exclusive, I got a good gaming computer and 360 so only missed out on Wii games really. I usually never replay games but UC2 I finished 3 times within the first month of release, to unlock everything and play on hardest difficulty, it just felt so great.

@Meus, your suggestion wouldn't promote flair and technique, it'd encourage mechanical, slow buildup play, with the defenders recycling possession for 20 seconds before moving the ball further up the pitch.

The only way it could possibly 'work'(it'd still be rubbish) would be to only count passes made within 30 yards of the goal. And once you're in that area, the ball has to stay in there to earn the extra points

http://i.imgur.com/9wexYfR.jpg[/MG]

What an amazing sport that'd be.

Football would be beyond dead within a month[/QUOTE]

I think that would be boring. See Barca's possession play; they keep the ball just for the sake of it. It is dreadful

Salvadora

No I genuinely loved UC2, it's probably my game of this generation and has nothing to do with it being platform exclusive, I got a good gaming computer and 360 so only missed out on Wii games really. I usually never replay games but UC2 I finished 3 times within the first month of release, to unlock everything and play on hardest difficulty, it just felt so great.
I wasn't saying that you liked it because it was PS3 exclusive, just that its gotten way too much praise considering it's flaws! I wish that in any subsequent Uncharted game they move the focus away from combat and onto puzzles or good platforming.

I think that would be boring. See Barca's possession play; they keep the ball just for the sake of it. It is dreadful

But that's exactly what'd happen with the new rules. Teams would keep the ball for the sake of keeping it away from the opponents, with the added caveat of ensuring that any move that ends in a goal has almost certainly come at the end of a 10+ pass-move

Why try and play fast-paced from back-to-front when you'll end up losing points because the more exciting (imo) style leads to more scrappy goals?

faridmon

Heh? That is not the point here, It not like I support one website or another, but the crux of the matter is that it worrying that the suspicious fact of that they won't receive any copies because of reasons, which Eidos is notorious about.
Also, your reaction is irrational, there was no hate from me nor from the website. In fact you seem to be transfixed on the idea that this game must be good, because you don't like the criticism it receives.

fuenf

Haha I agree with the "fuck nerds" and "fuck gaming side" sentiment, but I think the more worrying thing is the whole "You can't break the review embargo unless you post a positive review." Though, the whole incestuous relationship with the gaming press and industry is nothing new.

Yeah you are right about the reviews part, but if it were up to me they should ditch scoring games alltogether. I can't remember the last time I bought a game solely because of a good review, I only read reviews to solidify my opinion on games I wanted to buy anyway.

faridmon

Yeah you are right about the reviews part, but if it were up to me they should ditch scoring games alltogether. I can't remember the last time I bought a game solely because of a good review, I only read reviews to solidify my opinion on games I wanted to buy anyway.

Cognitive Dissonance

Look at Lara, she is so humane and needs protection from the linear scripted action we have devised so you feel that you are in this organic yet dangerous that will.... Oh wait

rambolararvuht.gif

SO BADAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAS

fuenf

Heh? That is not the point here, It not like I support one website or another, but the crux of the matter is that it worrying that the suspicious fact of that they won't receive any copies because of reasons, which Eidos is notorious about.
Also, your reaction is irrational, there was no hate from me nor from the website. In fact you seem to be transfixed on the idea that this game must be good, because you don't like the criticism it receives.

I know my reaction was a little bit irrational but I just hate the stuff that's currently going on with games. I mean, look at that site, it's admirable that they didnt want to review the game with a NDA in place, but they shouldn't have publicized it the way they did. It's a pr stunt nothing more, nothing less. I for one am glad if certain parts of the story are under NDA because I don't wanna be spoiled (I'm looking at you Gametrailers).

faridmon

I know my reaction was a little bit irrational but I just hate the stuff that's currently going on with games. I mean, look at that site, it's admirable that they didnt want to review the game with a NDA in place, but they shouldn't have publicized it the way they did. It's a pr stunt nothing more, nothing less. I for one am glad if certain parts of the story are under NDA because I don't wanna be spoiled (I'm looking at you Gametrailers).

Perhaps The NDA broken was less that 9.8? Maybe? No, it couldn't be right, its not like Eidos has precedent in such dirty practice...

GorillaJu

I feel like UC2 got the speed and pacing of platforming, combat and storytelling really perfect. It's definitely one of my favorite games of this generation.

Perhaps The NDA broken was less that 9.8? Maybe? No, it couldn't be right, its not like Eidos has precedent in such dirty practice...

The NDA was probably 'must mention improved combat, AI, length and Extras'

Things that are technically subjective, but might as well be fact (not sure about length or extras regarding this game in particular)

edit: The Onion really isn't funny

GorillaJu

The feature I'm most impressed by in PlayStation 4 is instant demos. I tried to explain that to my friend but he insisted that demos are always shit. He said you should just read reviews and buy the games based off of them. Ridiculous.

faridmon

The NDA was probably 'must mention improved combat, AI, length and Extras'

Things that are technically subjective, but might as well be fact (not sure about length or extras regarding this game in particular)

The NDA could be anything, and you are right, it is a subjective (and sometimes objective) elements that is require, or reversibly, stay hidden within the context of the review. BUt you can't blame me for being skeptical against Eidos's outlook for gaining a positive momentum where this series is especially is the subject matter.

fuenf

Cognitive Dissonance

sure, but why do I/we have these feeling? Let's look at video games, we've reached the point where gamers demand every game to be perfect and to match their personal vision/expectations of the game (franchise). I sometimes wonder where the "i hope the game is fun" part got lost. Tbh I dont play many videogames anymore maybe 5 titles a year, the last title I bought was BLOPS2 and I had tons of fun with it.

The only real game breaker for me is playtime, that's the main reason I'm still reading reviews, paying 60€ for a 4-6h game just doesnt cut it.

Look at Lara, she is so humane and needs protection from the linear scripted action we have devised so you feel that you are in this organic yet dangerous that will.... Oh wait

rambolararvuht.gif

SO BADAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAS

So the game only consists of melee finishing moves? I'm not a fan of these either and I don't like how Nathan Drake / or in this case Lara is a mass muderer (if you take things literally), but I still appreciate a good game. I learned not to look at the enemies as human beings, for me they are merely obstacles and / or gameplay elements. It's a video game ffs.

The NDA could be anything, and you are right, it is a subjective (and sometimes objective) elements that is require, or reversibly, stay hidden within the context of the review. BUt you can't blame me for being skeptical against Eidos's outlook for gaining a positive momentum where this series is especially is the subject matter.

Yeah. Kane&Lynch/Gerstmann-gate is the cynical spanner in the works :p

I can understand why people are wary, but if it was as simple as 'must be scored 8/10 or higher,' they'd have been reported by the guys with the witheld review.

The game looks really good except for the combat. Just looks like a game I'd rather walk through soaking in the atmosphere :(

And NeoGaf can fuck off with this game and DmC.

faridmon

sure, but why do I/we have these feeling? Let's look at video games, we've reached the point where gamers demand every game to be perfect and to match their personal vision/expectations of the game (franchise). I sometimes wonder where the "i hope the game is fun" part got lost. Tbh I dont play many videogames anymore maybe 5 titles a year, the last title I bought was BLOPS2 and I had tons of fun with it.

The only real game breaker for me is playtime, that's the main reason I'm still reading reviews, paying 60€ for a 4-6h game just doesnt cut it.
Yeah, I can see where you are coming from. Gamers have became jaded folks that don't look at the bigger picture and only ask for perfection which they perceive that they themselves are the ones to judge for.
However, there are certain franchises that never appealed to certain demography and morph it into another game altogether is not called for when they could have used another name for such intellectual property.
Partially, the fault lies within the publishers who start hype a game for the fans of such genre/franchise, just to make a completely different game that they promised for the sake of reaching bigger audience.

Yen

I have been following it on and off and it seems it is shaping to be a thrilling movie. Its coming out on Cinema next week and reviewers are calling it Hitchhocker of this century.

Can't bloody wait!
Haha

Vengeance Trilogy is great. Bet the Oldboy remake sucks, just like Michael Bay's Life is Beautiful remake.

faridmon

A hell of a lot of people were desperate for DmC and this to fail.

If it is good game, then good for the company, and I wouldn't want it to fail. Yes, Neogaf have been rather stupid to wish death for it, but you can't ignore the fact that the game have an inferior battle system that warrant criticism.

She's the only person in the gif who doesn't look incredibly uncomfortable.

Nervous eye rolls, slack jaws, 'oh my gods'... it's brilliant.

:lol yeah, it's a great gif.

You'd have to be an idiot not to

I agree.

I went through a phase as a kid of watching it every night in bed. I used to love Jim Carrey..

He will always be one of my comedy heroes.

Incredible movie. One of Carrey's finest!

Along with Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.

Eternal Sunshine breaks my heart :(

Such a good film.

Yen

What other Chan Wook Park/Park Chan Wook films are good. I'm a Cyborg is on during the week in film4, but apart from the Vengeance Trilogy, I haven't seen any others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom