• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT14| Only Wilbury's belly is smoother than BAAAYEEERNs season

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Departed and NCFOM. Now these are worthy winners.

The Departed was really good, but it felt like the Academy gave the Oscar to Scorsese just to say: "We're sorry we didn't give you one for Taxi Driver, Raging Bull, Goodfellas, etc."

Really fucking good film though.

And I just re-watched Pineapple Express, hilarious film.

Linius

The Departed was really good, but it felt like the Academy gave the Oscar to Scorsese just to say: "We're sorry we didn't give you one for Taxi Driver, Raging Bull, Goodfellas, etc."

Well it's a shame he didn't get one before for all the mentioned classics. Same goes for Nolan, give this man his Oscar!

I had this idea once on how to promote technique and flair.

For every goal scored produced by one touch made by a X amount of players, the team would get 1 point. For instance,

Scholes, Kagawa, Cleverly, Rooney all have one touch and RVP scores from one of their passes = 1 point. This is on top of any result. That's 4 players passing to the goal scorer. When it involves 5 players = 2 points. We'd get some great football out of it

Wenger had a similar idea a few years back but he wanted to award an extra point depending on how many goals you scored in a match.

pappe

For every goal scored produced by one touch made by a X amount of players, the team would get 1 point. For instance,

Scholes, Kagawa, Cleverly, Rooney all have one touch and RVP scores from one of their passes = 1 point. This is on top of any result. That's 4 players passing to the goal scorer. When it involves 5 players = 2 points.

Wenger had a similar idea a few years back but he wanted to award an extra point depending on how many goals you scored in a match.

And the Oscar for The Stupidest Idea Ever goes to.....

Wilbur

Banned

Scholes, Kagawa, Cleverly, Rooney all have one touch and RVP scores from one of their passes = 1 point. This is on top of any result. That's 4 players passing to the goal scorer. When it involves 5 players = 2 points. We'd get some great football out of it

Christ this is the worst idea ever

So in essence an entirely new sport?

Well considering what won the last years The Prestige, Inception and The Dark Knight are Oscar worthy movies.

And hey, QT gets his writing skills rewarded.

True, but it'd be nice to see his films get more recognition by the Academy ;) The Prestige is Nolan's best film, imo. So tightly constructed and well-laid out.

Fry

Who cares, The Departed is his best movie anyway.

GorillaJu

Interesting. What makes you say that considering the aim would still be to score in order to win games?

You'd lose all the dynamism and variety of football as it'd only reward a single play-style, out of the many that exist now. I don't see why you'd ever want to implement something that literally attempts to control how football teams go about scoring goals, unless you're purely speaking in the interest of your own team.

As for Swansea, they aren't the best footballing team in the league, no. They do play well and can be very entertaining. But that's all, really.

Interesting. What makes you say that considering the aim would still be to score in order to win games?

You're forcing a particular play style on the sport that you consider to be the best. Part of what makes football great is that there are varying styles and they can all be successful to a degree. What you would be doing is telling teams that there is a right way to play by incentivising that style. If you follow this line of thinking, you could see how it would cause an even greater gap between the haves and have-nots in football. Everyone playing the same way would be awfully dull.

I think the rule would make it a very different sport to the one it is now, and not for the better in many ways.

Arnie

The joy of football is in the variation.

If you aren't trolling, Meus, which I'm pretty certain you are, go and watch La Liga.

You'd lose all the dynamism and variety of football as it'd only reward a single play-style, out of the many that exist now. I don't see why you'd ever want to implement something that literally attempts to control how football teams go about scoring goals, unless you're purely speaking in the interest of your own team.

As for Swansea, they aren't the best footballing team in the league, no. They do play well and can be very entertaining. But that's all, really.

I think some may have misunderstood. I didn't mean to suggest the only way you gain points is to play tika taka, but rather a certain type of football that involves technique and flair be incentivised with extra points. You would still see a varied game as teams try to first and foremost win their matches rather than attempt wonder goals. Considering that, would you change your opinion of the idea?

The joy of football is in the variation.

If you aren't trolling, Meus, which I'm pretty certain you are, go and watch La Liga.

I do!

Meier

Anyone who has played FIFA Clubs with Meus knows how much he loves passing and attractive football. He's always hopeful that we'll change our play style. :lol

jtb

Banned
I think some may have misunderstood. I didn't mean to suggest the only way you gain points is to play tika taka, but rather a certain type of football that involves technique and flair be incentivised with extra points. You would still see a varied game as teams try to first and foremost win their matches rather than attempt wonder goals. Considering that, would you change your opinion of the idea?

No. That's just introducing subjectivity into a sport that is incredibly simple, objective and better because of it. Barcelona use plenty of flair and technique and they win plenty of stuff, so clearly the current model is working just fine.

GorillaJu

I do!

But if you make it possible to gain 1 or 2 extra points on top of your 3, then your maximum point amount is now 5. It's not incentivising anymore than it is punishing the teams who don't play a certain way. There's no possible method of adding an incentive without it coming necessary in a competitive environment.

Arnie

Meus, it takes immense technique to play obscenely effective hoofball, or to launch a lethal counter attack. I hope you realise that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom