• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT16| Bacon & Dregs

arkon

Not sure whether to get the HD collection or give DMC1 a proper try and go from there. I don't think they're my type of games, but I've never given them a proper chance. Is it worth playing them for the story? (I love ridiculous stories)

If not I'll just give them a miss

The stories are shite IMO. Put it this way, if they're not your type of game in the first place, the story isn't going to make you want to continue with them. Rudimentary at best. It's all about the gameplay and styling on enemies in ludicrous ways.

I love the stories of 1 & 3 but if you're not interested in action games then you could probably just watch the cutscenes on YouTube.

Might do that for 1 and 2 then jump in with 3

Speaking of action game stories, I don't understand what SSM have done

-GoW had a fantastic story, which was all the better for its simplicity and lack of subtext
-GoW2 branched out a bit, but was still easily followable and interesting
-GoW3 and Ascension have lost it though, the characters are not introduced properly so you don;t know anyone's motivation, the environment transitions are not handled properly, Kratos' level to level motives are not presented properly and are only made clear when he's achieved his immefdiate objectives. They need new writers, pronto.

rodvik

I'm anxious as fuck. :( The closer the match gets the more insecure I feel about today's result.

163801950.0_standard_352.0.jpg

Anyone here ever ignored their moral compass to buy a game? Did you regret it?

A lot of people in the Sim City threads seem to have done so, which is all the funnier when those same people vent about the number of people who bought the game, justifying EA's rubbish policies

arkon

A lot of people in the Sim City threads seem to have done so, which is all the funnier when those same people vent about the number of people who bought the game, justifying EA's rubbish policies

Never. Once I commit to something like that I rarely falter. It's probably become easier to do as I've become less interested in games, particularly some of the more hyped releases.

Semi serious mini-debate time. Why does The Walking Dead get away with being an interactive cutscene QTE-fest on here, while Heavy Rain doesn't?

TWD is shoved down everyone's throat more, has game-breaking bugs, and runs like absolute shit, yet Heavy Rain is always the one that is bought up when talking about 'non-games.' Why?

Is it because the characters are better in TWD? Is it because David Cage's personality rubs people up the wrong way? Is it because people love Telltale?

Discuss.

Both games are brilliant, and I was far more annoyed at the (very obtuse TWD spoiler)
end of Episode 4
than I was at any point in Heavy Rain.

rodvik

Never, although I reserve my moral compass for things like never buying anything associated with Orson Scott Card or other sleaze balls. Once they are on my shit list, not one more dime from me.

jtb

Banned
It's because Heavy Rain is fucking terrible. the story is offensively bad. Like Lost series finale bad.

David Cage being a clueless hack just puts it over the top, personally.

kharma45

I never had one until F1 2012.

Fuck Codemasters.

It's because Heavy Rain is fucking terrible. the story is offensively bad. Like Lost series finale bad.

David Cage being a clueless hack just puts it over the top, personally.

Pfft, Heavy Rain was awesome.

But why should a game's quality have any bearing on its legitimacy as a genre-piece? You can't say one minute 'QTE-fests are bad and have no place in gaming' and the next say that TWD was a brilliant game, surely?

I never had one until F1 2012.

Fuck Codemasters.

What was wrong with it? Stuff locked away under DLC that should have been in the shelf-product?

K1LLER7

I'll heck out Nier eventually. No multiplayer, no rush :)

I'm guessing there'll be plenty of time to clear out my backlog and get onto a few I've missed between now and the time when the PS4 gets into the swing of things

DMC
DMC2
DMC3
DMC4
Dead Space 2
Prince of Persia
Far Cry 3
Sleeping Dogs
ME3
Bulletstorm
Folklore
Crysis 2
Machinarium
Darksiders
Space Marine
Sly Raccoon
Crushing U:DF run

Not bought yet

Nier
Tomb Raider
Bioshock: Infinite
Dead Space 3?
RE6?

Christ.

Don't waste your money on RE6. Atrocious game.

Capcom why :(

kharma45

What was wrong with it? Stuff locked away under DLC that should have been in the shelf-product?

Buggy piece of shit, terrible AI, terrible driving model, fucked it for wheel users, 12 patches in a month on PC (they basically made us beta test it for them), the guy who is head of the game is a cheeky cunt to people on Twitter who criticise the game at all. I could go on.

Fuck them and fuck all their games. I hope they lose the F1 licence after three years of shit games.

Don't waste your money on RE6. Atrocious game.

Capcom why :(

I imagine it'll be free on PS+ within a year. I don;t care about the story since they fucked 5 up but dropping RE so suddenly just doesn't feel right :p

Only 3 more big PS3 releases for me, TLoU, GTAV & Beyond

@kharma, sounds like Yukes with the WWE license :p

arkon

Pfft, Heavy Rain was awesome.

But why should a game's quality have any bearing on its legitimacy as a genre-piece? You can't say one minute 'QTE-fests are bad and have no place in gaming' and the next say that TWD was a brilliant game, surely?

Well, you can, but you'd likely be labelled a hypocrite.

Well, you can, but you'd likely be labelled a hypocrite.

There must be a crossover surely though?

Every single Quantic Dream related thread, there's a flood of people denouncing the genre. But where are those people in TWD threads? Unless they all played Heavy Rain, were put off by it, and never tried TWD

@Kyoufu, if you don't know the ending, play it immediately. If you do, I'd still recommend it but I wouldn't call you a cunt if you didn't :p

arkon

There must be a crossover surely though?

Every single Quantic Dream related thread, there's a flood of people denouncing the genre. But where are those people in TWD threads? Unless they all played Heavy Rain, were put off by it, and never tried TWD

@Kyoufu, if you don't know the ending, play it immediately. If you do, I'd still recommend it but I wouldn't call you a cunt if you didn't :p

Maybe there's just a lot of Quantic Dream haters on GAF then?

Maybe there's just a lot of Quantic Dream haters on GAF then?

One guy said in all seriousness that he was looking forward to them going out of business and David Cage being revealed as a frustrated film director :p

Its amazing how much antipathy a bit of pretentiousness can stir up :D

3Sixty

He may get a call, but I doubt it. It's going to be probably something like: Capoue-Gonalons-Sissoko with the other Sissoko and Diarra in the bench

I think he really deserves it but yes,France do seem to have a wealth of talents in CM.

FootballFan

Chelsea is next on Rondon's hit list. Poor Chelsea fans won't know what hit them.

Yep. Right now Chelsea fans are reading this and saying "wtf are these guys talking about".

Rondon will show them.

Imagine rondon had someone like loskov behind him, would be like old gerrard and Torres, ozil and penaldo, Xavi and messi etc.

Top Bottom