• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT16| Bacon & Dregs

Just a bit of self congratulations. Apologies in advance, also, for some generally terrible posts during 2010/11 & 2011/12.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=33176853&postcount=6543

You've got problems if you don't think Martin O'NEILL isn't a Cheque Book manager. Look at how much he spent at Aston Villa during his time, and the wages he handed out. Similar at Celtic too. Spends to correct problems, rather than coaches.

He doesn't coach. Just like Bruce. He brings a backroom coaching team to do all the coaching for him. He never gets involved with that.

His 1 tactic is counter attack. None of this is a secret. Aston Villa fans know this, and have said as much. He'll motivate your mediocre team to midtable, fair enough.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=33177554&postcount=6555

I'm not picking up on this now he's Sunderland manager, I've never really rated him as a coach. Though, I suppose that's a moot point considering he's a 'Manager', and I rate him as a 'Cheque Book' manager.

Is that what Sunderland need right now though? Look at their performances, there's no structure or organisation to their team. They start out in a formation and its quickly forgotten within 10minutes of play.

Players are all over the shop. Defensive duties and match ups forgotten. Marking is slack, if any is present at all. All of this can be, and should be, corrected with a training program and at least one tactics meet up with personal dossiers for each player. Martin O'Neill is not known for this. He'll spend money on players who'll fit into hitting the counter attack.

So...

2 Pacey wingers.
1 Heskey (to be used only when 'build up play' is needed).

I can understand why Sunderland fans are excited, since they've appointed the manager they've been after forever and supposedly has some sort of affection for the club. I just think the match up is wrong. I'd have been more concerned about Sunderland becoming a Premier League 'threat' if Mark Hughes had taken over, as he'd have made Sunderland tough to beat and the players at the club seem 'Mark Hughes' players (if that makes sense).

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=33177627&postcount=6558

Kylehimself said:
Well I think the vast majority of people on here would probably disagree with you. But we'll see.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=33177698&postcount=6559

Well, I don't think Sunderland will finish within the top 6 under O'Neill's management. He'll spend a lot of money and the best they'll finish will be 9th (which will be amazing for Sunderland).

He'll leave when Short decides that he's spent enough, or O'Neill isn't getting enough.

Going to bookmark this post to see if I'm accurate in 3/4 season's time.

Fry

ibwRxJooc0l4gq.png

wilbs

Wilbur

Banned

u backslappin motherfucker

I thought he was going to do well to be fair. Did a great job everywhere else; chequebook manager he may have been but there was certainly something else to him. Because at Leicester, Celtic and Villa he was doing fantastically well (although Villa fans might disagree in retrospect)

Wilbur

Banned
Sunderland shortlist
Brian McDermott
Michael Appleton
Alex McLeish

One's a coach out of his depth in the Premier League, one's got no track record other than a bit of goodwill from working under tough conditions at Portsmouth, one's a fucking spenky cunt.

Wes

venison crêpe
MWAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHH CYA MARTIN!

Honestly though Sunderland fans, you're probably better off without him. He eventually crippled our club and left us high and dry.

Wilbur

Banned
Hows your coaching going, Willbury? Did you go on that level 1 course?

Yeah I did the Level One, passed it and have my little certificate etc etc. Since then though I didn't have any money to take anything else until I got my job recently, so they've kept sending me things about keeper coaching and this and that but I haven't done much.

I did help out with this bloke at work's under eights for three weeks recently while his son's been on holiday, but that's it. Laziness really. Depending on whether I live out or not next year for my final year at uni, I'll probably drop down to the local little league or some shit and look into Level Two costs and whatnot.

I have the problem where I'm far less confident around people I don't know in real life than I am when I'm a) on the internet and b) drunk, so I was pretty quiet for the whole course and didn't really get to know anyone or get anything extra from the man teaching it. But I enjoyed myself on the whole, passed, have the booklets and the first aid training and the DVDs and like I say, gonna look into it more when my exams are over and I've sorted shit out a tad more.

jtb

Banned
MON sacked? really idiotic to do it so late in the season, basically admitting that they're writing off the rest of the season at this point.

Yeah I did the Level One, passed it and have my little certificate etc etc. Since then though I didn't have any money to take anything else until I got my job recently, so they've kept sending me things about keeper coaching and this and that but I haven't done much.

I did help out with this bloke at work's under eights for three weeks recently while his son's been on holiday, but that's it. Laziness really. Depending on whether I live out or not next year for my final year at uni, I'll probably drop down to the local little league or some shit and look into Level Two costs and whatnot.

I have the problem where I'm far less confident around people I don't know in real life than I am when I'm a) on the internet and b) drunk, so I was pretty quiet for the whole course and didn't really get to know anyone or get anything extra from the man teaching it. But I enjoyed myself on the whole, passed, have the booklets and the first aid training and the DVDs and like I say, gonna look into it more when my exams are over and I've sorted shit out a tad more.

You're the coach. Just remember that. Those kids turn up because you're there.

Lightning

Banned
MON sacked? really idiotic to do it so late in the season, basically admitting that they're writing off the rest of the season at this point.
They were basically a write off even with him there. Sunderland have only 3 points from there last 8 games and the fact they face a very real threat of being relegated now is unbelievable considering where they were at the start of January.

Kyoufu

In our team next season. Bale Cabaye Sigurdsson*. fuck strikers just having outside of the box scoring midfielders.

*I am lead to believe Gylfi can score from range but have yet to see it.

Siggsy has been underwhelming this season. He usually bangs in goals from range.

No way.

They've done it cos they think MON will take them down and the new manager gives them a better chance of staying up.

Not sure about that myself but I don't think they've taken the decision thinking their season is done.

arkon

There's some gold in that old thread. Frank the Great praising Giovinco, Arnie extolling the potential virtues of Rafa in the Chelsea job, dc89 still dreaming of City getting out of the group stages that year.

Zabojnik

Yurt turning more casual than a Ubisoft franchise. They were party responsible for Inter's win!

Don't believe his lies. You should see the PMs he sends me.

and zabojnik

Loooool. I think I posted "still not worth 40M" like two times a couple of months ago, haha. I wasn't even being serious, I was saying it just because Bayern themselves admited - if I remember correctly - that he wasn't really worth 40M, but that's what they had to pay to get him, so they did. I don't even know Martinez well enough to have a definitive opinion on him. I'm sure I'll have it after the quarters though. Fuck me, HSV utterly destroyed. Bayern are a fucking machine. :/

Wilbur

Banned
Looooool if Man Utd beat the 9th best team in the PL 9-2 we'd hear all about how shit the league is. Fuck Bayern.

O'Neill had a 29% win rate at Sunderland.

Yeah, I heard earlier on ESPN that 7 of his first 10 games were wins. 9 of his next 45 were wins. Diabolical record.

Clegg

Who did we lose to? When will Adnan get the no.7?

We won our first 2 games but lost to a Japanese team in our third. Then results from the other groups knocked us out. Januzaj was suspended from the last game because he was booked in the previous two games.

The team is still over there and just beat Cortiba 5-0 in a friendly.

Top Bottom