• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT16| Bacon & Dregs

rodvik

I'm backing Villa to stay up. Think Sunderland is the more likely to drop.

Cheers, I have no idea any more. We have a middle table Championship side with some Premier League quality sprinkled in here and there. Dont know if it will be enough.

I want Wigan to stay up. Now Sunderland can get stuffed after that Di Canio appointment.

So either Villa or Sunderland need to go!

Sod Wigan.

Suen

Hulk talks up Neymar Russia move

Hulk says it would be "very good" if Neymar were to join him in Russia with Zenit St Petersburg.

The Santos striker is one of the most sought-after talents in world football and has reportedly courted the interest of European giants Bayern Munich and Barcelona, the latter of which is understood to be the front-runner to land the star.

Speculation has been that Neymar requires a move to one of Europe's elite leagues in a bid to further his development. Hulk, however, has offered an alternative view and believes the starlet should resist the allure of playing in Germany or Spain by opting for a move to join him in Russia.

"I think that he knows when he needs to change his club. He will do it when he needs to. I can't choose for Neymar. Only he knows where he wants to go, but it would very good to have a player like that at Zenit," Hulk told R-Sport.

The 21-year-old has been the target of criticism lately following a couple of lackluster displays against Italy and Russia in Europe at international level, prompting some to believe the striker struggles to replicate his high standard of performances when crossing the Atlantic Ocean.

But Brazil teammate Hulk has leapt to his defense and says the youngster's talent is clear to all.

He added: "Footballers are always subject to criticism, but the world knows how good a player Neymar is and knows about the quality in his game."
Sviatoslav, you know it's going to happen. You'll pay a big sum for Neymar and he will perform great
mediocre
for the club just like Hulk!

Fady K

Hey there folks, I hope all of you are doing well! Be wary of any April Fool's jokes!

On the topic of Scorsese, I feel like Shutter Island and Hugo are both underrated. I loved them very, very much.

Good luck to the lads at CFC for today's game, hope the fans enjoy it.

GorillaJu

What's wrong with Wigan? They are a good club. Play decent football most of the time and Martinez is awesome.

This is funny because at the start of the season every year people claim that they play terrible football and are an awful club that deserve to go down, then when they start performing to a higher standard toward the end, people change their tune and say stuff like this.

dc89

Ok. Time to finish ASoS. The TV show is forcing my hand here, I don't want this book to end.

*reads one chapter*

O...M...F...G

Pm'ing #ASoSBros

Lightning

Banned
This is funny because at the start of the season every year people claim that they play terrible football and are an awful club that deserve to go down, then when they start performing to a higher standard toward the end, people change their tune and say stuff like this.
You watch Wigan play and they can be very entertaining. Bit comical in their defending but overall their attacking play is not bad. Compared to a team like Sunderland or Stoke who are just a headache to watch because even when they win they are boring. I don't like boring football.

Yeah. To take a recent example, totally cool how he pretended McManaman's tackle was clean.
That's a one off. You don't see Wigan doing tackles like that every week and Martinez can hardly condemn his player publically to increase the pressure on the young lad. It's something that he has to address with the player privately.

Salazar

That's a one off.

Eh. Martinez is a run-of-the-mill manager at best. For large stretches of most seasons, he's a chippy and conspiracy-minded moaner about referees in the Rafa tradition. Not setting his side up to kick people doesn't make him a wonderful bloke.

Reading should definitely go, and won't be missed. Can't fucking defend. Made Gervinho look good.

QPR and Wigan joining them would be fine. Ideally, Stoke and Sunderland get sucked down, but they might hold it together.

rodvik

What's wrong with Wigan? They are a good club. Play decent football most of the time and Martinez is awesome.

You don't see Wigan sacking managers every season.

I really dont much like Dave "gobshite" Whelan. I also think Wigan dont play that great football most of the time, although to be fair they have played well recently. Overall though I just resent a small club like Wigan doing better than Villa and instead of blaming our own faults I choose to dislike Wigan :)

Lightning

Banned
Eh. Martinez is a run-of-the-mill manager at best. For large stretches of most seasons, he's a chippy and conspiracy-minded moaner about referees in the Rafa tradition. Not setting his side up to kick people doesn't make him a wonderful bloke.
Any manager in the lower half of the table does that because, in their view, the top clubs get the rub of the green always. Allardyce claimed simlar after the FA cup game etc... Wenger, Ferguson etc... all do their best to push the referee to favour our clubs. At the start of the season Wenger was doing a lot of moaning and as a result I can recall Arsenal receiving at least 4 bullshit penalties from it, Ferguson does it with injury time etc... so all Martinez is doing is trying to get a fair crack for his team. Although it would be ideal if he didn't do that but you can go through instances where every manager gets pissy at the referee decisions.

Wigan always seem to be up for the must win games and that's a credit to Martinez. Wigan dismantled Everton at Goodison to earn a spot in the FA cup semi. Excellent achievement and now has an excellent shot at achieving Europe. Wigan get past Milwall and in a one off final against Chelsea or a Manchester club Wigan can win. The fact that they are in that position is a credit to him. They don't have a great squad and lost key players over the summer but still trucked along. Nice guy imo.

I really dont much like Dave "gobshite" Whelan. I also think Wigan dont play that great football most of the time, although to be fair they have played well recently. Overall though I just resent a small club like Wigan doing better than Villa and instead of blaming our own faults I choose to dislike Wigan :)
Dave Whelan can come out with some bullshit, like that McManaman challenge being fair when he knows damn well that was dangerous and a horror tackle. But I like his management style because he lets his manager get on with the job. He hasn't been jaded by the thought of more money and because of fear sacking the manager. Wigan are a small club pushing above their weight in the league playing some decent football with stuff all money and budget to work with. I refuse to hate Wigan.

I hope Arsenal send more of our youngsters there to get experience. Decent club man despite Whelan not being perfect.

GorillaJu

I can't stand Dave Whelan, but he does deserve some credit for keeping the faith with Martinez and not firing him when the going gets tough. QPR, Reading, Sunderland and Southampton all dropped their managers (though Soton's wasn't a case of underperforming) and may not improve at all.

rodvik

I find all this approval of Whelan disturbing. if I owned a football cub I would deffo do a full Abramovich and fire my managers frequently, sometimes for poor results, sometimes just for the lulz.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Damn, I missed the Di Canio news. Glorious, I can't wait for the press conferences. Even if he gets sacked at the end of the season it will be worth it for the rants.

Wes

venison crêpe
Any other year I'd be fine with Wigan staying up. I think their chairman is a buffoon but he stands by managers so he gets credit for that. Martinez is a nice enough chap in a world dominated by twats. They both blew the McMamaman tackle though.

I tipped them to go down at the start of the year too.

Lightning

Banned
QPR, Reading and Sunderland are my picks. Sunderland have awful fixtures and they will have issues scoring goals. Wigan can score goals, Aston Villa can score goals.

Wigan have some winnable games, starting with QPR next week and they also have Swansea and Villa at home so I fancy their chances in all those games and they have a shot at points in away fixtures with West Ham and West Brom too so plenty of points on offer in those fixtures for Wigan.

LOL WTF. Why, Sunderland, WHY?
nazaniofvk1a.png

Ushojax

Who your picks to go down?

Reading
QPR
Villa

I can't really decide between Sunderland and Villa but Sunderland have at least played their joker by hiring Di Canio. It might work, it might not, but the core of their side is not especially vulnerable, just very boring. Villa look fragile, every one of their defensive players can make a mistake at any moment.

dc89

Potentially I'm doing a me here. But I just heard on the radio that Roman is apparently doing his coaching badges because he wants to become a manager.

April Fools? I hope so.

Ushojax

Potentially I'm doing a me here. But I just heard on the radio that Roman is apparently doing his coaching badges because he wants to become a manager.

April Fools? I hope so.

He's been getting lessons from the master

AvramGrant.gif

April Fools? I hope so.

... You really have to even question that it's Aprils fools? The press can't even get him to say a word so good luck with the mandatory press conferences lol

Roman much prefers some muppet there instead that he can control, like Avram Grant.

dc89

He's been getting lessons from the master

AvramGrant.gif

Quite possible my favourite football GIF

fixed.

the failure would be SPECTACULAR.

... You really have to even question that it's Aprils fools? The press can't even get him to say a word so good luck with the mandatory press conferences lol

Roman much prefers some muppet there instead that he can control, like Avram Grant.

:lol

It would be amazing.

Top Bottom