• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT16| Bacon & Dregs

Thing is Wilbury if you read about him and listen to those who know him better than the absolute fuckwits who have latched on to one quote, he's not what you and I think of when we think of fascism. I've spent pretty much all of my free time since he was appointed researching him and his beliefs. Those who were in Mumble with me when he was appointed will know how I felt when it was announced.

His agent and (reportedly) best friend is Jewish.
His best mates in his days as a player in the UK were Hislop, Sinclair, Powell.
He supports immigration, those who make an attempt to integrate themselves to their new country.
He declared Mussolini's turn towards the Nazi's and their take of fascism and his subsequent actions as 'vile'.

He is a dick. He is fucking mental. He has done some incredibly stupid things. None of his defenders are making him out to be an angel. However on the other side of the coin those who suddenly have a problem with him and making out like he is Mussolini himself re-incarnate and it's fucking pathetic.

And then there's people like Woodenlung who think because he did the salute he's a fully integrated member of some Italian Fascist party who hates Jews and wants another round of genocide.

Fucking hell.

Just for the record, I don't think he's a monster.

I think he's certainly got some questionable views but whatever.

Will I play up to it for the entire time he's manager of Sunderland regardless? Absolutely.

madmackem

And just as I post, Miliband has been saying that di Canio isn't a racist or a fascist.

Nice one David, you fucking bellend.

Just saw that, well done miliband this whole shitstorm is down to you mate, 99% of the media wouldnt have given a shit if you didnt resign like you wouldve in the summer anyway.

I dont really care mate, hes answered the question its good enough for me, he wouldnt be the first to fuck up remember bosnich at white heart lane and his plea he didnt know a large base of spurs fans were jewish. I wouldnt hold it against anyone we have all done stupid shit in the heat of the moment.

Well I kind of closed down my post with me saying I am completely alright with being a manager in premier league, but don't give me any "Roman Salute!!!" bullshit, even if he isn't a Nazi he was doing that shit well knowing all the connections it had against a team full of Jewish supporters.

Arnie

I'm the anti-Salazar.

Who gives a shit, he's here to win football matches. Any Sunderland fans who're perturbed won't be bothered if he wins football matches. He'll make sure the team almost kill themselves working to get the most out of the last seven games. That's all you can ask of him, given the lackadaisical, soft approach which got Sunderland into this position and got O'Neill the sack.

I dont really care mate, hes answered the question its good enough for me, he wouldnt be the first to fuck up remember bosnich at white heart lane and his plea he didnt know a large base of spurs fans were jewish. I wouldnt hold it against anyone we have all done stupid shit in the heat of the moment.

Well I kind of closed down my post with me saying I am completely alright with being a manager in premier league, that was never where this argument was about, but don't give me any "Roman Salute!!!" bullshit, even if he isn't a Nazi he was doing that shit well knowing all the connections it had against a team full of Jewish supporters, to a crowd with swastikas, pretending otherwise is laughable.

derExperte

I just love those kind of excuses. As if it would have been okay otherwise. Disgusting.

Bo-Locks

The Di Canio media storm is ridiculous. His political ideology is just as irrelevant as every other football player/manager. As long as his ideology does not affect his policies at his place of work, then let the man get on with his job. There are plenty of religious and political ideologies that I repugnant, but I don't care about which particular footballers conform to them as long as they keep it out of their workplace.

I have much more of a problem with people like David Millicunt serving on the board of football clubs.

qindarka

Banned
We can only hope so.

I spent the last 6 seasons wanting Wigan to go down but it would seem a pity for them to finally get relegated now after all those great escapes. And the fact that its so impressive for a club of their stature to have spent so many consecutive seasons in the Premier League.

Kyoufu

The Di Canio media storm is ridiculous. His political ideology is just as irrelevant as every other football player/manager. As long as his ideology does not affect his policies at his place of work, then let the man get on with his job. There are plenty of religious and political ideologies that I repugnant, but I don't care about which particular footballers conform to them as long as they keep it out of their workplace.

I have much more of a problem with people like David Millicunt serving on the board of football clubs.

Too bad he didn't keep it out of his workplace.

I'm the anti-Salazar.

Who gives a shit, he's here to win football matches. Any Sunderland fans who're perturbed won't be bothered if he wins football matches. He'll make sure the team almost kill themselves working to get the most out of the last seven games. That's all you can ask of him, given the lackadaisical, soft approach which got Sunderland into this position and got O'Neill the sack.

Where is this reactive line of thinking coming from? Is anyone saying that he shouldn't be allowed to manage in the Premier League because of his beliefs? Its an interesting discussion imo.

edit: Started making a sick youtube playlist. Sick, it is.

shortyme

Wow.

If my manager hired someone that has said/done the same things that Di Canio has done I wouldn't be pleased, regardless of whether he's 'kept it out of work'.

And honestly I don't buy the 'he's just here to win matches thing', I mean, of course he is. For him and the Sunderland fans that's the most important thing. The rest of us? Why wouldn't we be able to question and call out his bullshit. If the club feels it's unfairly overshadowing the football aspect then though, you hired a man knowing full well of the controversy he brings. And to be surprised that he is being called out is totally disingenuous in a world where Joey Barton's views make news thanks to Twitter etc.

Bo-Locks

Too bad he didn't keep it out of his workplace.

I will not defend his salutes, regardless of whether they were a show of support for fascism, nazism or some sort of 18th century Roman salute.

But then again I don't particularly like it when Catholics sign the cross when they enter/exit the pitch. I despise Catholicism just as much as fascism, but I'm not getting upset about players signing the cross, and I'm not going to force them to justify their faith because of it.

He's done the salute a handful of times in his long career as a player. Call me when he starts separating the dressing rooms for black and white players, and he starts slipping in a few Mussolini quotes in his matchday programme.

It's cools guys it's just fascism not Nazism. Completely harmless philosophy.

Plus it's not worth discussing unless he actually curb stomps an ethnic minority. Presumably only then can we discuss his suitability for a high pay, high responsibility job in the public lime light.

Let's just talk about football matches innit.

Lets calm down with an awesome photo featuring awesome people

AIHoS.jpg

Wilbur

Banned
I will not defend his salutes, regardless of whether they were a show of support for fascism, nazism or some sort of 18th century Roman salute.

But then again I don't particularly like it when Catholics sign the cross when they enter/exit the pitch. I despise Catholicism just as much as fascism, but I'm not getting upset about players signing the cross, and I'm not going to force them to justify their faith because of it.

He's done the salute a handful of times in his long career as a player. Call me when he starts separating the dressing rooms for black and white players, and he starts slipping in a few Mussolini quotes in his matchday programme.

Agree with this completely. My grandmother for instance harbours long animosity against my lesbian aunt - her daughter - purely because she's a Catholic. Does she act on it? No. Is it apparent she does? Yeah. I've never asked her to justify why she's against homosexuality, nor am I going to. It's her problem, and if she doesn't act upon it, it's only her problem.

If Di Canio acts on it, then he should be sacked immediately. But if he doesn't, then he shouldn't. Fascism isn't inherently 1:1 with Nazism anyway is it? Not that I'd defend it as an excusable political viewpoint, just that if he is one - and hixx's post was interesting in muddying the waters a tad, cheers ya cunt - then it doesn't matter to me until he acts upon it.

I will however be making jokes about Wes Braun.

This Di Canio stuff is very interesting. Raises the question of where the line should be drawn.

I think I'm okay with him managing a football team. Uncomfortable for sure but I'm not sure he shouldn't be allowed to do it.

Defo wouldn't want a fascist in charge at United.

Fwiw I think there's been alot of spin about what beliefs Di Canio does and doesn't hold. People seem to be latching onto one or two quotes and forming entire judgements.

shortyme

Agree with this completely. My grandmother for instance harbours long animosity against my lesbian aunt - her daughter - purely because she's a Catholic. Does she act on it? No. Is it apparent she does? Yeah.

How exactly is that hiding it?

How you guys are justifying his actions is blowing my fucking mind here. Because you're not offended, its cool? Because he hasn't said anything outright, that's ok? Doing that salute is offensive, it is him bringing that shit onto the pitch.

How many organizations do you now have trying to keep racism out of football but you hire a guy like this?

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
8 - Zlatan Ibrahimovic is the player to have missed the most clear cut chances in this Champions League this season. Sitter.

7Zlatan_Ibrahimovic_939643a.jpg

Wilbur

Banned

How you guys are justifying his actions is blowing my fucking mind here. Because you're not offended, its cool? Because he hasn't said anything outright, that's ok? Doing that salute is offensive, it is him bringing that shit onto the pitch.

Well I know she does. She's uncomfortable if she's seen my aunt's girlfriends, but she tolerates it. She still loves her. She still sees her. She still does things. But we all know she has a problem with it. She just doesn't act on it and tell her daughter she's a sinner, and that's fine by me.

Again, Hixx's post has far more information than I knew before. It's not just a black and white case. There's a Hungarian at work who hates what's happened to his country politically, and he says he's a fascist and not a racist. Was that hard for me to understand at first? Yeah. And it's cliche, but he works with Jews and black people and gays and he's completely fine with them all, so it's certainly a case of political ideology as opposed to a social one, or a case of extreme xenophobia or whatever.

Jensen

How many organizations do you now have trying to keep racism out of football but you hire a guy like this?
Do we actually know that Di Canio is a racist?

Hixx

So you are saying di Canio is racist?

Wilbur

Banned
Adrian Durham - abhorrent a writer as he is - writes about Di Canio here, and this is probably a better thing to talk about. He's got a good point tbh

Sunderland will claim they gave Di Canio the job for football reasons. I find that hard to swallow.

If you only consider what he’s done on the field as a manager Di Canio has been a success. Swindon were expected to get promoted from League Two but he achieved that in style by winning the title. He also took them to Wembley in the Johnstone's Paint Trophy final where, despite being favourites, they lost to Chesterfield. And this season in League One he left them riding high in the table. Swindon had a massive budget compared with other clubs in the bottom division but he still got the job done.

Other managers who achieved promotion from League Two in recent seasons include Steve Evans at Crawley, Graham Westley at Stevenage, John Sheridan at Chesterfield (who then took charge of that Wembley win over Swindon), and Gary Waddock.

Darren Ferguson has three promotions in four seasons and kept Peterborough in the Championship on a tiny budget a quarter of the size of most of the others in the division.

Chris Powell changed most of his squad and won the League One title with Charlton and has now kept them in the Championship.

In a million years Sunderland would never have considered the likes of Sheridan, Powell or any of the others for the job at the Stadium of Light.

One lower league manager told me it was 'sickening' that Di Canio got the job just because he is a 'name'.

Di Canio may be brilliant, and may become the best manager Sunderland ever appointed. But how he gets the job ahead of all the others is beyond me. Is it because he is foreign? Is it because he makes headlines?

I dunno if anybody is justifying his action or beliefs though. More his right to be employed by SAFC. Sunderland are happy to make that choice.

Hixx

I have no idea why he got the job, it was an out of the blue appointment.

Who knows. Probably be a disaster but it'll be entertaining at least.

Top Bottom