• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT16| Bacon & Dregs

Kozak

Banned
Have you ever seen those refs next to the goal do anything? Anyone? I've seriously never seen them make a call. So stupid.

The additional assistant referees are only there to inform the referee through wireless headsets of happenings inside and surrounding the penalty box.

They were pretty much put in place for goal line debates since UEFA and FIFA don't seem to be making any progress on goal line tech.

I would say they are working because I haven't heard or read any controversies regarding the ball crossing the goal line in the Europa League or CL since they were put in place but I haven't watched/read about every game.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
Valdes saved our ass that moment when two of our players were lying on the ground so Ibra wasn't offside at close range. And I wouldn't blame him entirely for the 2-2 either, a world class keeper may have got it but the deflection clearly had a huge influence on the ball.

The best assessment so far.

Problem is Barça is a world class team but our keeper is mediocre basura

Salazar

Problem is Barça is a world class team but our keeper is mediocre basura

RAWK Liverpool-becoming-Barcelona thread

On Rafa's Liverpool:

We had games where we basically had the territory and ball for the whole match. With a bit more luck/quality/flair in the final third, we would have been remembered as one of the greatest teams of all time. Seriously close to the perfect balance.

one of the greatest teams of all time

Blablurn

Are you actually disappointed ? ;-)

not really! but it can become a problem if more player get injured. but im sure arjen is happy about some extra play time now.

btw, what i like about bayern is the fact that they can go all out for 90 minutes. while the juve players were already dead and slow, we even tried to go for the 3:0. too bad müller didnt score in the end. he's a beast though. so much power. he is the son goku of football! messi is freezer.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
not really! but it can become a problem if more player get injured. but im sure arjen is happy about some extra play time now.

btw, what i like about bayern is the fact that they can go all out for 90 minutes. while the juve players were already dead and slow, we even tried to go for the 3:0. too bad müller didnt score in the end. he's a beast though. so much power. he is the son goku of football! messi is freezer.

That's kinda what we do too, but I guess our players were still tired from the Inter game. Conte used the same XI for some reason.

We went all out on Inter because we know we can't risk losing the title for the sake of Europe.

Blablurn

That's kinda what we do too, but I guess some of the players were still tired from the Inter game. Conte used the same XI for some reason.

You know, even though we won 2:0, i'm afraid Juve will go all out in the second leg. I guess, it's good that we won't see Vidal again. He's a dangerous lil fucker.

Blablurn

imago13295619h.jpg

Blablurn

Es wird mir ja für immer ein Rätsel bleiben, was es mit diesem Robben auf sich hat. Ich meine, ich erinnere mich an dieses geniale Tor gegen Manchester United, aber sonst? Seitdem? Entwicklung? Ich meine, hat Picasso irgendwann nur noch Kreise gemalt? Oder linke Ziegenfüße? Eben.

It's a riddle to me what happened with that Robben guy. I mean, I still remember that awesome goal against Manchester United, but besides that? Since then? Development? I mean, did Picasso just draw circles in the end?

Kinda true

Kenka

Es wird mir ja für immer ein Rätsel bleiben, was es mit diesem Robben auf sich hat. Ich meine, ich erinnere mich an dieses geniale Tor gegen Manchester United, aber sonst? Seitdem? Entwicklung? Ich meine, hat Picasso irgendwann nur noch Kreise gemalt? Oder linke Ziegenfüße? Eben.

It's a riddle to me what happened with that Robben guy. I mean, I still remember that awesome goal against Manchester United, but besides that? Since then? Development? I mean, did Picasso just draw circles in the end?

Kinda true
Who said that ? Robben is still a valuable player who can create space in the box for his partners with his pace, I think this is enough of a reason to keep him although his finishing has sucked for more than a year now.

You know, even though we won 2:0, i'm afraid Juve will go all out in the second leg. I guess, it's good that we won't see Vidal again. He's a dangerous lil fucker.
True, here lie my worries too. Juve is a wounded beast, they will give their best, and will be ready to die on the pitch if needed.

That's kinda what we do too, but I guess our players were still tired from the Inter game. Conte used the same XI for some reason.

We went all out on Inter because we know we can't risk losing the title for the sake of Europe.
Well, Licht wasn't in your starting XI for the Inter game, he didn't even enter the pitch. And to be fair to Conte, Pogba and Giovinco had zero impact once fielded.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Last night Ibra scored his 5th goal in the CL knock-out stages.

And three of those were against Arsenal.

And to be fair to Conte, Pogba and Giovinco had zero impact once fielded.

Eh? We looked much better (but still not good enough) with them on the pitch, especially with Vucinic linking the midfield and attack. Quag and Matri were both isolated and it was like playing with 9 men for most of the game.

Starting Pogba, Vucinic and Asamoah would've made more sense last night. We still have no idea why Asamoah was on the bench.

Kenka

Well, it seems Bayern want to increase their stadium capacity by 3'000 again after they did it already this summer.
The new capacity would reach 74'000 for league games, with 71'000 seats available for the C1/C3.

http://www.merkur-online.de/sport/f...bald-71000-fans-champions-league-2831883.html (in german)

Last night Ibra scored his 5th goal in the CL knock-out stages.

And three of those were against Arsenal.
Lol, Ibra is definitely a guy more at his ease in domestic competitions.

Blablurn

Well, it seems Bayern want to increase their stadium capacity by 3'000 again after they did it already this summer.
The new capacity would reach 74'000 for league games, with 71'000 seats available for the C1/C3.

http://www.merkur-online.de/sport/f...bald-71000-fans-champions-league-2831883.html (in german)

Lol, Ibra is definitely a guy more at his ease in domestic competitions.

The stadium was 63.000 when it was built. A huuuuge mistake looking back. But I guess they played it safe since the Olympiastadion wasnt famous for being sold out all the time.

Bumhead

Banned
The Di Canio situation in the media is really strange to me.

Makes me laugh how it was perfectly acceptable for him to be manager of Swindon Town, but not Sunderland. While at Swindon, the media was perfectly happy to ride along with the circus. "Oh look it's that crazy character Di Canio managing in League One! Oh he's fallen out with Leon Clarke, what a card! What's this, bought everyone a pizza? HAHA! Broke into the ground after leaving to retrieve his things? He's crazy, LOLOLOLOLOL!"

Now he's the manager of a Premier League club, suddenly it's facism this, unsuitable that, Mussolini tattoo, right wing nut job who is sure to bail out on the club or be sacked before he's even got his feet under the table. I mean that's fair enough, I'm absolutely not defending Di Canio's political views, but I find the disconnect between the media's attitude when he was at Sunderland and lil' ol' Swindon Town absolutely hilarious. Before he was just some clown act and now he's the physical uprising of facism in this country.

I know why, I'm not stupid. The damage to DAT SUNDERLAND GLOBAL BRAND APPEAL and all that. But it's still fucking ridiculous.

Wilbur

Banned
The Di Canio situation in the media is really strange to me.

Makes me laugh how it was perfectly acceptable for him to be manager of Swindon Town, but not Sunderland. While at Swindon, the media was perfectly happy to ride along with the circus. "Oh look it's that crazy character Di Canio managing in League One! Oh he's fallen out with Leon Clarke, what a card! What's this, bought everyone a pizza? HAHA! Broke into the ground after leaving to retrieve his things? He's crazy, LOLOLOLOLOL!"

Now he's the manager of a Premier League club, suddenly it's facism this, unsuitable that, Mussolini tattoo, right wing nut job who is sure to bail out on the club or be sacked before he's even got his feet under the table. I mean that's fair enough, I'm absolutely not defending Di Canio's political views, but I find the disconnect between the media's attitude when he was at Sunderland and lil' ol' Swindon Town absolutely hilarious. Before he was just some clown act and now he's the physical uprising of facism in this country.

I know why, I'm not stupid. The damage to DAT SUNDERLAND GLOBAL BRAND APPEAL and all that. But it's still fucking ridiculous.

I agree with you almost completely, but Barney Ronay made a good analogy where if the owner of a corner shop was a fascist, it would get far less attention than the director of Tesco's.

Not that it makes it right, but just that you can understand why exactly it's causing a furore now.

The real question should be what makes him the best candidate over everyone else, ability wise.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Hadn't Beckham left the field before Zlatan scored?

The Sun think £37m would be enough for Real to buy Bale. Double it and we might let you have him in two years.

sohois

Mail headline: Beckham is the talk of Paris after inspiring fight back against Spanish giants

looooooooooooooooooooool

Even the BBC have engaged in this twaddle; the very first thing on their match report after the actual score was all about Beckham.

Wilbur

Banned
Hughes been mooted for the Leeds job. I reckon he'd do pretty good there tbh. They could easily be turned into a Blackburn; tough to break down and intimidating at home. Especially if he isn't given a chequebook and he actually signs players with thought. Remember this guy bought Samba, Santa Cruz, got fucking Bentley playing well...

Beckham played pretty good.

He wasn't on the pitch for the comeback though. How could he have inspired it?

Salazar

Hughes been mooted for the Leeds job. I reckon he'd do pretty good there tbh. They could easily be turned into a Blackburn; tough to break down and intimidating at home. Especially if he isn't given a chequebook and he actually signs players with thought. Remember this guy bought Samba, Santa Cruz, got fucking Bentley playing well...

Leeds spend all their money on rented goldfish

bud

hnnnggg, i might fulfill my lifelong fantasy of having sex with an older woman. she's into younger guys. #prayforbud #losingcougarvirginity #footballisdead #footballisalive #gervinhegreatestafricanplayerwithshirtnumber27

Salazar

hnnnggg, i might fulfill my lifelong fantasy of having sex with an older woman. she's into younger guys. #prayforbud #losingcougarvirginity #footballisdead #footballisalive #gervinhegreatestafricanplayerwithshirtnumber27

#Jermaindefoewouldbeproud

Salazar

Warnock told talkSPORT: "I personally hope Mark Hughes follows me again and destroys another team of mine. I don't think it's a club for a young manager. There is so much going on behind the scenes it is ridiculous really. It needs somebody who has seen it all and done it all.

loooooooooool

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Damn, Warnock be trollin'.

Hughes' ego is what's ruined his reputation, the way he left Fulham was pathetic. Thinking he'd get a better job only to be completely ignored and then had to crawl over to QPR.

Dan Roan ‏@danroan

Breaking: Carlos Tevez handed community order with a period of unpaid work for 250 hours for driving while disqualified...

Dan Roan ‏@danroan

Tevez also handed fresh 6 month disqualification starting from today. Fine of £1000 for driving without insurance

lolercopters

Edit: dc in 5... 4... 3...

Bumhead

Banned
I agree with you almost completely, but Barney Ronay made a good analogy where if the owner of a corner shop was a fascist, it would get far less attention than the director of Tesco's.

Hmm, possibly. Although my counter argument to that is that in this case, it's not about the level of exposure. The corner shop was receiving just as much exposure as Tesco's is now. But the nature and the content of that exposure, and the media's response to it, has completley changed in tone.

I think the analogy there is the corner shop gets lots of really positive, almost jovial and affectionate exposure, but the same corner shop then franchises itself out as a Tesco Express, nothing else changes other than the name and profile of the shop, but suddenly they're an evil corporation selling nothing but horse carcass and bits of chopped up old dead donkey.

Top Bottom