• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT16| Bacon & Dregs

Wes

venison crêpe
We're an embarassment. Mumei felt he had to go ask the whole of OT what TV shows to watch rather than ask us. We need to pick up our game guys.

Wilbur

Banned
We're an embarassment. Mumei felt he had to go ask the whole of OT what TV shows to watch rather than ask us. We need to pick up our game guys.

Look, we've already helped Arnie and Wooden this week.

WE'RE NOT A FUCKING SANCTUARY WES
WE HAVE TO LIVE OUR OWN LIVES

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
John Cross is the biggest Arsenal cheerleader in the world. They haven't lost in two games and now they're in the midst of a "resurgence".

To be fair to them their league form is pretty good. Very good in fact.

They've been racking up the points and have beaten the teams you'd expect them to beat. I think what will decide their fate this season is the size of Wenger's balls. Fabianski and Koscielny will fuck up sooner rather than later, does he stick with them or does he go back to the two he chucked out of the first XI.

Wes

venison crêpe
Look, we've already helped Arnie and Wooden this week.

WE'RE NOT A FUCKING SANCTUARY WES
WE HAVE TO LIVE OUR OWN LIVES

I live my life vicariously through the rest of Football GAF.

It's why I'm constantly in fear of being arrested.

Robin will be missing most of next year's CL groupstages.

Robin van Persie has attacked Uefa as "cowards" following Manchester United's Champions League elimination by Real Madrid. Speaking to the Dutch website AD.nl, he explained his disappointment with the reaction to what he perceived to be an obvious error made by Cuneyt Cakir, the match referee.

"That red card was heavily unjustified," he said. "It was not even a yellow card or a free-kick. Nani couldn't do anything about it, he hardly touched Arbeloa. The worst thing is that Uefa supports him. That's cowardly, because I really don't understand it. Why don't they just be honest and say: 'He hasn't seen it'?"

Van Persie was also unhappy with the original refereeing appointment: "I didn't understand before the game that this man would be the referee, such an unknown referee who hasn't been in charge of a big games for months. Even the guys from Madrid told me afterwards that it was not a red card."

United, though only a goal ahead before the dismissal, were enjoying a period in the ascendancy, and Van Persie is sure that they would have gone on to win the game: "For an hour everything was looking good, the tactics seems to be right," he said. "We really had the feeling that we were going to score the second goal and then it would become very difficult for Real Madrid. But then it the referee pulled the red card. Real were not dangerous at all, I'm sure we would have kept our position. So now it's all about the title in the Premier League.'

Wilbur

Banned
Realistically Arsenal need a keeper, a right back, a centre back, a centre mid and a striker to even be close to a title challenge. 70m won't get them that far unless they find some absolute fucking gems.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Juve fans (and others), how do you rate the Juve CBs? I'm talking to Cox over Twitter, he's saying Chiellini and Bonucci are a fair amount better than Barzagli and that if he played with a front three he'd press those two + Pirlo.

Now I wouldn't necessarily disagree with that but only because Chiellini and Beckenbonny are a tad more proactive in their defending and can be got with when pressing, whereas Barzagli is the type to latch onto your mistakes and wait it out for you to have the ball.

Barzagli's probably been the best centre back in Europe this season. Can't really think of many others, apart from the other Juves.

I just read your TL.

You're right. And I don't blame him for being wrong, you need to watch all/most our games to truly appreciate The Wall. This tweet sums him up quite nicely imo:

"Barzagli is an absolute treat to watch. Vintage Italian CB. Uncompromising, hard nosed, error-free all while being fair & elegant. Class."

Went on like 30 something games without a yellow last season. He doesn't make mistakes (Bonny) or bullies players on the pitch (Chiello), he's just 'there' holding our defensive unit together.

And /doicare He's the best passer in our team
with 90.1%.

Wilbur

Banned
if they spent 90m they'd have a better team than yours.

looooooooooooooool

Such a fucking dumb statement. Completely ignores where they'd spend the 90m, what they'd spend the 90m on, whether or not they'd have bought poorly, and our own transfer fund.

Salazar

if they spent 90m they'd have a better team than yours.

lol

How many Gervinhos, Chamakhs, Girouds, Mertesackers, Koscielnys, Podolskis, Squillacis, and Fabianskis can 90m shekels bring in.

And that's only scraping the fucking surface of how gash Arsenal could be with a budget.

Realistically Arsenal need a keeper, a right back, a centre back, a centre mid and a striker to even be close to a title challenge. 70m won't get them that far unless they find some absolute fucking gems.

It should do. History has shown you can get quality players for:

£25 million on a striker
£15 million on a central midfielder
£10 million on a centre half
£10 million on a right back
£10 million on a keeper

But they won't spend that amount so it's irrelevant.

Fry

looooooooooooooool

Such a fucking dumb statement. Completely ignores where they'd spend the 90m, what they'd spend the 90m on, whether or not they'd have bought poorly, and our own transfer fund.

I'm going by their transfer record. They always get good players by paying small amounts. They have a better midfield than yours.

With 90m, they'd get better defenders and attackers.

I'm going by their transfer record. They always get good players by paying small amounts. They have a better midfield than yours.

I think it's more like they sometimes get players that will be good in 3-4 years by paying small amounts.

Wes

venison crêpe
The same record that involves wasting money on shit ?

Or are you ignoring those bits.

bebe.jpg

Wilbur

Banned

Do they have a better midfield than us though? Perennially crocked Wilshere, out of position Arteta and an inconsistent Cazorla.

Ushojax

I can't believe we've got the best defensive record away this season, that seems insane :lol

When you have 65% possession of course you're going to concede fewer goals, the opposition can't score without the ball. That means when you do concede a goal it's normally very, very stupid (see Southampton, Spurs away)

Spurs have only given 15 goals away at home but we've scored just 22, that is utter gash, the joint lowest in the top 10 (though we have scored 29 away from home, 2nd best in the league). It's a serious problem, we shouldn't be letting teams like Wigan, Stoke and Fulham keep a clean sheet at WHL. Our strikers are so shit at the moment :(

Wilbur

Banned

Better than Benteke

When you have 65% possession of course you're going to concede fewer goals, the opposition can't score without the ball.

Spurs have only given 15 goals away at home but we've scored just 22, that is utter gash, the joint lowest in the top 10 (though we have scored 29 away from home, 2nd best in the league). It's a serious problem, we shouldn't be letting teams like Wigan, Stoke and Fulham keep a clean sheet at WHL. Our strikers are so shit at the moment :(

On paper Spurs have arguably the strongest team in the league (or thereabouts) if it weren't for their fucking abysmal strikers.

Clegg

Arsenal's midfield is only decent when they have Wilshere playing. Any other time it's mediocre. United have had a better functioning midfield this season.

It's ridiculous to say they always get good players by paying small amounts. The only good signing they've made in recent years is Cazorla.

They have a huge restructuring job on their hands precisely because they've spent smaller amounts on players that ended up not being good enough.

£80m would get them 3 very good players. I still don't think that would be enough to cover all the deficiencies in their squad.

Edit: I see you've gotten bitchy again.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
It should do. History has shown you can get quality players for:

£25 million on a striker
£15 million on a central midfielder
£10 million on a centre half
£10 million on a right back
£10 million on a keeper

But they won't spend that amount so it's irrelevant.

Striker :(

Pirlo Free
Vidal 10.5 - 12.5
Marchisio Free (doesn't count though)
Barzagli 300k
Bonucci 15m (lol)
Lichtsteiner 9 - 10m

One day, I'm going to give credit to Marry.

One day.

Ushojax

On paper Spurs have arguably the strongest team in the league (or thereabouts) if it weren't for their fucking abysmal strikers.

Honestly if we had Berbatov we would be so much better. We don't have a player who can open up a game by putting a half-chance away a la RVP, Aguero, etc.

Wilbur

Banned
so touchy and defensive. Not even going to respond anymore. I don't think you can win an argument against them. ever.

Eh, difference between a discussion - especially when your opening statement is based on presumptuous nonsense that disregards all context for just a blanket statement - and an argument. I was happy to have it with you because let's be honest, just saying if they spent 90m they'd be better is stupid. How much have City spent and they're still 15 points behind us? Would you count Andy Carroll's fee of 1/3 of that 90m fund meaning Liverpool are 1/3 on the way towards being better than us? Just an odd way to conduct an argument.

Wilbur

Banned
Honestly if we had Berbatov we would be so much better. We don't have a player who can open up a game by putting a half-chance away a la RVP, Aguero, etc.

Don't think Berba would necessarily fit your playing style though, as much as he is a phenomenal lone striker. Someone a tad more proactive would be better.

Lewandowski would be a brilliant fit.

Clegg

Podolski
Arshavin
Giroud
Mertesacker
Vermaelen
Gervinho
Santos
Arteta
Park
Ramsey

That's about £70m worth of player and none of these are good enough signings for a club that wants to win the league. The jury is still out on Chamberlain because he's so young and Monrael because he only signed in January.

These are most of Wenger's recent signings. The only genuinely great player he's signed is Cazorla. The rest were punts on smaller money which have either failed completely, only patched over a hole, or failed to live up to expectations.

Ushojax

I'd take Torres anyday. He'd get back to his best with Bale and Lennon feeding him. He'd be back every week.

You take that back right now. Torres couldn't finish his dinner, it would be like playing a worse version of Gylfi as a striker.

If Ade was playing like last season that would be enough, there were glimpses of that against Fulham so I hope he can do something for these last few games. I would rather have Ade up front making space for Bale and holding the ball up than Defoe just running into defenders/shooting at the keeper.

Top Bottom