• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT17| Jordan Henderson for Ballon d'Or

Kikarian

Ehh, to be honest I don't think there's enough made about how deep teams play against us sometimes. The amount of times this season everyone's been behind the ball against us is preposterous. And I know its up to us to break through that, but look at our record in the PL, its emphatic. We're not at our best most of the time but we're still good enough to win the games. The games where we get dominated in possession we still win through great counters.

don't be a moody cleffy
The Counter attack is our strong point. I just think a Centre Defensive Mid would do us a world of wonders.

Someone like Vidal, Busquests even though he dives a lot he does a superb job of breaking up attacks. Once a team has beat our midfield they almost certainly have a goal scoring opportunity.

Linius

i6hrCVaoZkg3A.gif

Youtube download extension wasn't working so it took a while :p

Ehh, to be honest I don't think there's enough made about how deep teams play against us sometimes. The amount of times this season everyone's been behind the ball against us is preposterous. And I know its up to us to break through that, but look at our record in the PL, its emphatic. We're not at our best most of the time but we're still good enough to win the games. The games where we get dominated in possession we still win through great counters.

don't be a moody cleffy
Even the teams that sit deep get chances though. We don't dominate them in the sense that we just lock the match down, control it for 90 mins.

And yes we can win on the counter but that's the point, we get dominated in possession by some teams. We pretty much conceded territory against City, Spurs and Madrid (although at home we were very good actually). But yeah that's the point, we did that cos we can't dominate them ourselves.

I'm not saying we suck...just that is the next step for the team. We need to be able to assert ourselves in the bigger games.

Keio

For a Finer World
Really emotional watching Abidal warm up for FC Barcelona. That guy beat cancer twice and is back playing in the best team in the world. Amazing.

Clegg

Agree with you on our best performance.

Sums up this United team though, at it's best on the counter. Can't really go out and assert itself and dominate a match.
For a team thats so far ahead United lack a lot of composure. We can score goals when we need to but we sometimes fall to pieces and just invite pressure onto ourselves. We just lose concentration start giving away the ball so cheaply. With Vidic back we can cope with teams putting pressure on us but up until November we crumbled so easily.

We def need someone that can break up the flow of the game and put it back to our favour.

Wilbur

Banned
Even the teams that sit deep get chances though. We don't dominate them in the sense that we just lock the match down, control it for 90 mins.

And yes we can win on the counter but that's the point, we get dominated in possession by some teams. We pretty much conceded territory against City, Spurs and Madrid (although at home we were very good actually). But yeah that's the point, we did that cos we can't dominate them ourselves.

I'm not saying we suck...just that is the next step for the team. We need to be able to assert ourselves in the bigger games.

But if we lock them down... we become mechanical. We need to ENTERTAIN, VIVA

I get what you mean. Our entire midfield sans Carrick is preposterously weak for a team that's top of the league. Four very good strikers + Kagawa, a really strong defence when everyone's fit, but only one top class midfielder (not including Giggs because - as fucking incredible as he is technically - he doesn't have the legs to contribute all the time really), including our wingers.

Need a top class CM. As usual.

Kikarian

I've noticed through this season that our ability to get the ball back is very poor. The only way we do is either a mistake by the other team or a ricochet that falls to us. Next season we can't rely on this, obviously. I just feel like if we don't get this sorted, next season we won't be as lucky.

Wilbur

Banned
I've noticed through this season that our ability to get the ball back is very poor. The only way we do is either a mistake by the other team or a ricochet that falls to us. Next season we can't rely on this, obviously. I just feel like if we don't get this sorted, next season we won't be as lucky.

Despite being relatively shit at Sunderland in the grand scheme of things, we kept the ball quite well. I think Kagawa and RVP are definitely buys that factor into a more fluid, attractive play style, and Zaha is as well. Whether or not he's good enough remains to be seen, but he's certainly got flair that Valencia and Young don't have.

are we allowed to talk about united btw

rodvik

Yeah. I really like Tello. He has improved his decision making and his bags of tricks.

DEULOFEU is on. Oh shit.

Yup playing very well. I wasnt being sarcastic about Pique, I know he is in cruise control right now but his positioning and touch are stunning.

Kikarian

Despite being relatively shit at Sunderland in the grand scheme of things, we kept the ball quite well. I think Kagawa and RVP are definitely buys that factor into a more fluid, attractive play style, and Zaha is as well. Whether or not he's good enough remains to be seen, but he's certainly got flair that Valencia and Young don't have.

are we allowed to talk about united btw
Yeah, hopefully Zaha will add some Flair to our team. And we see the better Kagawa that played for Dortmund.

Wilbur

Banned
Yeah, hopefully Zaha will add some Flair to our team. And we see the better Kagawa that played for Dortmund.

He'll be better next season, I'm absolutely sure of it. He's been encouraging recently. Was lovely in the first half of Sunderland game.

Clegg

But if we lock them down... we become mechanical. We need to ENTERTAIN, VIVA

I get what you mean. Our entire midfield sans Carrick is preposterously weak for a team that's top of the league. Four very good strikers + Kagawa, a really strong defence when everyone's fit, but only one top class midfielder (not including Giggs because - as fucking incredible as he is technically - he doesn't have the legs to contribute all the time really), including our wingers.

Need a top class CM. As usual.

We need two CM's imo. One that can do a good Carrick job and another that can push forward and link the midfield with our strikers. I was hoping that Clev could do that ,but, as we've said before, he doesn't assert himself enough.

Realistically though we'll only sign one CM this summer and I hope it will be someone who can do a similar role to Carrick's. We've been blessed that he's been fit all season. We'd have been fucked without him.

And just think of the triangles that two decent passers in our midfield could create.

TeegsD

We really scraped this one. 3 times they went down to our goal and twice they scored; almost scored the third time too! Thankfully luck fell on our side...
and their back lines positioning was shit

Top Bottom