• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT17| Jordan Henderson for Ballon d'Or

Salazar

This thinking is particularly absurd given that all it took for Utd to overhaul City this season (or at least the main factor) was the £20million signing of RvP.

Can't help but feel that we would have rogered the league even more brutally with functioning wide players.

tagliavento is the worst ref in italy. i don't think i've ever seen him ref a game where he hasn't lost control. he also buys dives more easily than any ref i have ever seen.

i cringed when i saw he was reffing our game, but i guess it worked out in our favor

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
And for the first time ever everyone on my TL agrees on something. Never a red.

JuveJovetic is injured. Take him Arsenal, I don't want him anymore.

sohois

Can't help but feel that we would have rogered the league even more brutally with functioning wide players.

But then City would have been in a much better position if some of their players hadn't had such poor seasons - Aguero has been poor, whilst the trio of Nasri, Balotelli and Silva contributed 6 goals and 13 assists this season to 24 goals and 26 assists last season.

bud

This thinking is particularly absurd given that all it took for Utd to overhaul City this season (or at least the main factor) was the £20million signing of RvP.

Now, perhaps Mancini is not accounting for player sales, since there are a number of players who will likely leave City at the end of the season plus they never got around to replacing Balotelli in January, but when you look at City's current team all it would really take to get back into contention is one world class player, probably a CM/DM to replace the tepid talents of Barry & Garcia.

Jnb9Joj.png

i dunno, i don't think this is a particularly great squad.

the only defender i rate it kompany. the only midfielders i rate are yaya and silva (i thought nasri really hit his stride at a certain point at arsenal, but he's been more bad than good since he came to city). and as for their strikers: dzeko is a decent poacher; aguero is alright, but i feel he needs a better team to function better; tevez is okay.

they're going to need a whole lot more than just one new world class cm/dm if they also want to be proper champions league contenders.

they're going to need a whole lot more than just one new world class cm/dm if they also want to be proper champions league contenders.

City will never be champions league contenders under Mancini, he can't handle the big games in champions league as hes shown in last two seasons.

Wilbur

Banned
Jnb9Joj.png

the only defender i rate it kompany. the only midfielders i rate are yaya and silva (i thought nasri really hit his stride at a certain point at arsenal, but he's been more bad than good since he came to city). and as for their strikers: dzeko is a decent poacher; aguero is alright, but i feel he needs a better team to function better; tevez is okay.

Tevez is okay? Lol. And you don't rate Nastasic or Zabaleta?

bud

that's what i forgot to say! they'll definitely also need to get rid of mancini. he's a shit manager.

edit: tevez is a work horse, sure, but eh. zabaleta is good, i agree (glanced over him). nastasic has had a few decent games, but i think it's too early to make that call.

sohois

http://i.imgur.com/Jnb9Joj.png[IMG]

they're going to need a whole lot more than just one new world class cm/dm if they also want to be proper champions league contenders.[/QUOTE]

Well Mancini's original quote was that they needed to spend £100mil to compete with Utd, not to compete in the Champions League. Yes I can certainly agree that they would need better to have a chance in the CL but Utd's squad isn't really much better; they just have a superior manager.

Feorax

Looks like we're unchanged from last week. Our bench is the strongest it's looked in years (Jones, Skrtel, Coates, Shelvey, Suso, Assaidi, Sturridge).

GorillaJu

Jnb9Joj.png

Top Class:
Aguero
Tevez
Silva
Yaya Toure
Kompany
Zabaleta

Above average:
Hart
Nastasic
Richards
Clichy
Garcia
Dzeko
Lescott

Average:
Pantilimon
Wright
Maicon
Kolarov
Kolo Toure
Barry
Milner
Rodwell
Sinclair

On paper, the part that stands out to me is that they don't have a really solid midfield anchor. Javi Garcia is slightly underrated IMO, but he doesn't do enough as a hub or pivot. He gets in the way and protects the back four to a decent degree, but can't be relied on for good distribution - no question this is why Mancini wanted De Rossi. Gareth Barry should be able to play this role, but isn't positive enough when he has the ball, to point out just one of his flaws. Defensive midfielders in the top, top teams should all be able to be at least decent playmakers as well, when called upon. Carrick, Lucas, Arteta are some examples of a player type that City lacks dearly. This, and lack of good creative wide players is the reason they're having such a lackluster season, IMO.

LTWheels

Same line up as last week. I suppose it would have been interesting to see Sturridge play instead of Downing, but Downing is our only front 3 players who can defend decently, and he stays wider than Sturridge or Suarez playing in that position. Without we would have very little width.

bud

does anyone else remember flamini in his last season at arsenal? that midfield was

absolutely

sensational

and he played a big part in that. he's been largely anonymous at milan, though.

pulga

Banned
Just getting in, turned on the tv and Flamini scored.

Am I drunker than I thought?

Edit: penalty against Milan, im definetely drunk.

Salazar

does anyone else remember flamini in his last season at arsenal? that midfield was

absolutely

sensational

and he played a big part in that. he's been largely anonymous at milan, though.

Arsenal make average midfielders look above average.

It will be the same with Wilshere.

bud

it's over for milan. fiorentina equalizer incoming.

Arsenal make average midfielders look above average.

It will be the same with Wilshere.

fight me.

(he had great chemistry with the rest of the players, and arsenal's playing style suits him better than milan's.)

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
^Ashton Kutcher is injured!

Don't worry guys, Milan will get their customary penalty in injury time.

Won't let me post teams >_> (weird, had to edit instead of post it, was giving an error!)

@SpursOfficial: #THFC team: Lloris, Walker, Caulker, Dawson, Vertonghen, Parker, Dembele, Sigurdsson, Holtby, Dempsey & Adebyaor #COYS

@SpursOfficial: The Everton team vs #THFC today: Howard, Coleman, Baines, Heitinga, Distin, Jagielka, Gibson, Mirallas, Osman, Barkley & Anichebe #COYS

Battle of the teams without the star players!

Top Bottom