• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT20| What's that smell?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salvadora

Support Liverpool. We have the next Aimar anyway :p

@Salva, its really wierd with Arsene

On the one hand, he's built a team that isn't particularly good. On the other, he is responsible for having that team stay in a
the CL spots. So is he doing well or not?
I'd say he's doing well if I'm being honest.

In my mind (and possibly only there), Arsene is having the Gervinhos of the world forced on him and can just work with what he has.
I don't even think Spurs losing Bale would be that big of an issue. They'd get a ridiculous fee for him. Reinvest the money properly (like they did with the Modric money) and they'll be fine. Better than fine, really. Could compete for the title.

We lost RVP for a (relatively) small amount and, despite everyone shitting on our squad, we're at basically the same point we were last season. Probably conceded fewer goals too.

It must be said that despite having more points at this point than we did last season(?), we play shit Football now :/

I know it was only a loan but... Another to the : Leaves Arsenal - wins trophy, list.

Vqw5MBP.jpg

GorillaJu

I don't even think Spurs losing Bale would be that big of an issue. They'd get a ridiculous fee for him. Reinvest the money properly (like they did with the Modric money) and they'll be fine. Better than fine, really. Could compete for the title.

We lost RVP for a (relatively) small amount and, despite everyone shitting on our squad, we're at basically the same point we were last season. Probably conceded fewer goals too.

Bale is the type of player you need more than one of to win a title. You can't apportion his value into several lesser players and expect to improve.

In my mind (and possibly only there), Arsene is having the Gervinhos of the world forced on him and can just work with what he has.

It must be said that despite having more points at this point than we did last season(?), we play shit Football now :/

Gervinho is perhaps a poor example, he was relatively expensive iirc

I don't think Spurs are as close to challenging for the title as people say. They can't even clinch CL football comfortably yet.

Losing players like Bale + RVP is very damaging. You need those players to win things.

Arsenal are actually doing a fraction better than last season in the league I believe. But you don't win honours without those top class players. The higher you go up the table the tougher it is to climb each position.

When you're in the title race you have to win every week, that pressure is constantly on you and you need players who can handle that. Considering how fragile both Arsenal and Spurs have shown they can be I think they're both quite a way from challenging for the title.

Benayoun is so odd.

He left Liverpool and (unfairly) slagged Beintez off for not playing him enough. Then Rafa goes to Chelsea, and plays him far more than he really should.

@Viva, and that's why Liverpool will be winning the league next year. SuperCoutz, Studgemeister and Hendeity eat nuggets of pressure for breakfast, and wash it down with a cool glass of expectation.

jtb

Banned

Eh, we played some terrible football last season too.

Honestly, I don't really have a problem with signing Gervinho. He did have a pretty impressive record in Ligue 1. Sometimes they pay off (Cazorla), sometimes they don't. It's buys like Oxlade-Chamberlain that irritate me. 12m for pure potential? There's got to be better ways to spend that kind of money when you've got a shit GK, a shit defense, gaping holes in midfield, etc.

Tc91

Just been reading in the banned paper that BT sports production company something + vine if they miss a goal they get fined £250,000.

Missing a corner or a offensive free kick is a £150,000 fine. Apparently itv missed a chunk of Torres' goal tonight.

Something like £11m, I believe. I picked him more for his lack of quality and laughableness.

But Wenger is surely in charge of the transfers? Fair enough, he isn't given enough to spend, but when he wastes it on players like Gervinho he has nobody to blame but himself. Santos is a good example I think of him bing forced to but shite as a result of small funds, injuries and having to sell to buy

3Sixty

Just been reading in the banned paper that BT sports production company something + vine if they miss a goal they get fined £250,000.

Missing a corner or a offensive free kick is a £150,000 fine. Apparently itv missed a chunk of Torres' goal tonight.

ITV were using a general feed.

xintin

Must have been where the US feed was coming from. He was already in the box by the time Fox Soccer left a replay.

jtb

Banned
Gervinho had 15 goals, 8 assists during his last season at Lille, when they won Ligue 1. Hell, Hazard only had 7 goals and 11 assists that season.

For whatever reason (ie. Gervinho being shit at football), it just didn't work out. Oh well. Not every transfer does.

ITV were using a general feed.

I'm not sure if its bad luck, but even when its a general feed ITV miss a lot of action. When's the last time something like this happened with the BBC or SKy outside of technical issues?

I sometimes wonder what happened to the guy who flicked the switch to play a Renault advert while Gerrard was scoring against USA

dc89

City want to introduce cheaper season tickets. Adult season ticket @ £300. That's £15 a game.

Incredible value. Stop ruining football City.

Tc91

I'm not sure if its bad luck, but even when its a general feed ITV miss a lot of action. When's the last time something like this happened with the BBC or SKy outside of technical issues?

I sometimes wonder what happened to the guy who flicked the switch to play a Renault advert while Gerrard was scoring against USA

There's a video in the article about ITV missing part of tonight's goal of Dan Gosling vs Liverpool where they cut to a advert :lol

Gervinho had 15 goals, 8 assists during his last season at Lille, when they won Ligue 1. Hell, Hazard only had 7 goals and 11 assists that season.

For whatever reason (ie. Gervinho being shit at football), it just didn't work out. Oh well. Not every transfer does.
True.

Could argue there should have been more extensive scouting of him, there appear to be some obv weaknesses in his game.

Tbh though - I don't think Gervinho had an awful first season. This season he has done quite poorly.

Salvadora

I think I'll need to go back and look at Gervinho's time in France.

There's no way his general lack of talent wasn't on full display in Ligue 1.

Clegg

The Telegraph are reporting that Isco is close to signing for City.

Not a very encouraging article though. They haven't even gotten his buyout clause correct.

Everyone watch Righteous Kill on Sunday. It is a truly terrible film that will make you sad for Al Pacino and Robert De Niro
Yep :(

Was so excited for that film lol then I found out 50 Cent was in it and it had De Niro shagging a girl up the arse and I didn't really want to watch it anymore...

*pukes*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom