• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT21| Robben learns to score in finals three years late

Status
Not open for further replies.
19 year old skilful winger in 'doesn't always make the right decision and gets carried away with dribbling' shocker.

He'll be fine I think.

He is fine

I suppose its literally no risk for a club like united which is probably a lot of what is wrong with English football, you can't blame the clubs or players its just the way it is

Juan Mata, Cesar Azpilicueta and Fernando Torres all got called up to the provisional Spain squad. Happy for all three as they have been overlooked at times! Personally would have liked Mata to not have gone as he has played too much football but happy he is back in the squad.

Clegg

This game hasn't really got going yet.

Both teams look a bit afraid to attack. That's understandable though. Premier Leagie football and £120m on the line.

He is fine

I suppose its literally no risk for a club like united which is probably a lot of what is wrong with English football, you can't blame the clubs or players its just the way it is

Not sure I understand your complaint.

Either we pay obscene amounts for young English potential and then it's all "lol English tax and he'll probably be shit anyway" or it's "they paid so little for him they can just discard him if it doesn't work out because there's no risk".

Personally I'd like to see more Premier League sides taking an interest in young English talent and not being charged prohibitively incommensurate sums for them.

I see some Gomez to Chelsea talk on Twitter, but none by any 'credible' sources.

Is it a sure thing that he's leaving Bayern? And is he anywhere near as good as his Fifa rating?

Either we pay obscene amounts for young English potential and then it's all "lol English tax and he'll probably be shit anyway" or it's "they paid so little for him they can just discard him if it doesn't work out because there's no risk".

Personally I'd like to see more Premier League sides taking an interest in young English talent and not being charged prohibitively incommensurate sums for them.

I just think players like Zaha need more time developing their game and often get moves to big clubs then don't play enough and regress

I was pleased to see him loaned back to Palace and hope we can take Todd Kane back from Chelsea as with experience he will be a top player

Sturridge is a good example, he was at a big club and struggled to impress in limited time and now he's gone to a small club and is thriving

GorillaJu

Either we pay obscene amounts for young English potential and then it's all "lol English tax and he'll probably be shit anyway" or it's "they paid so little for him they can just discard him if it doesn't work out because there's no risk". Personally I'd like to see more Premier League sides taking an interest in young English talent and not being charged prohibitively incommensurate sums for them.

If there were enough English players that young talent wasn't so coveted due to their rarity, you'd see the transfer fees get balanced out a bit. English players will always be the most expensive national group in England, because it's the only national group that has a tangible advantage as a rule that's completely unrelated to footballing ability, with the home grown quota.

WJD

Eh, I'd rather have Zaha taking risks and actually attempting difficult, exciting things than Young or Valenica running in a straight line, stopping and passing to the full back time and time again.

Sturridge is a good example, he was at a big club and struggled to impress in limited time and now he's gone to a small club and is thriving

image.php

Urgh I had a full clean shave this morning which is rare for me I tend to go with a little stubble but I've just found a tiny patch of 3-4 hairs that I missed

I hate it when that happens and I can't be assed moving so and trying to pluck them out with my fingers

#bankholidayproblems

Linius

Lol, rumours are that Chelsea wants Van Ginkel. I so hope that boy isn't going to destroy his career by benching in London.

I just think players like Zaha need more time developing their game and often get moves to big clubs then don't play enough and regress

I was pleased to see him loaned back to Palace and hope we can take Todd Kane back from Chelsea as with experience he will be a top player

If there were enough English players that young talent wasn't so coveted due to their rarity, you'd see the transfer fees get balanced out a bit. English players will always be the most expensive national group in England, because it's the only national group that has a tangible advantage as a rule that's completely unrelated to footballing ability, with the home grown quota.

Ah so you're talking about the paucity of young English talent overall which causes big clubs to snap up even remotely decent young players. Not much that can be done about this. The rules suck and almost certainly inflate prices.

On a separate note, I can understand Jeff's complaint more if they were commonly being snapped up by the likes of Chelsea who never take a chance on their youth talents anymore. However to date most of the lower-league young English players have been bought by the likes of Arsenal, who you can hardly claim don't take a chance to properly develop their players. Loan backs do seem to be a good way of doing things though.

Hope Watford can do it but have to fancy Palace now

Also fuck you Sky it isn't an exciting summer of sport at all after today :( rugby can suck my dick

Edit - laboured I just like moaning

Meier

Surely posted but the DM are saying Madrid are set to offer £65m for Bale. Seems very feasible -- the rationale in the article is what I mentioned the other night. They've lost out on Neymar and Aguero as well as Falcao. Perez needs a massive signing before elections. If I'm a Spurs fan, I'm terrified.

They could do a lot with that money but I don't think they can replace him TBH. He's such a gamechanger and he's just getting better.

Gambit

With a bit distance, I think I can finally post this:

I was disappointed with the German Bayern players and I seriously can't see Germany dominating a WC or Euro in the next few years.

Neuer and Müller were both solid but not spectacular. Lahm was good defensively but let's be honest, while Großkreutz is a great player, Lahm had tougher challenges before. And thus, especially his attacking play was rather poor to me. Schweinsteiger was rather poor overall and Bayern only got better when Martinez started beasting defensively. Those two "leaders" has still to impress me in an important match.

I agree with you about the German Bayern players in the final. They were not the dominant figures (with the exclusion of Neuer and, to my great surprise, Boateng). However, I think they were the ones most fearing the label of being eternal losers.

Before the final, they all showed superb games. Schweinsteiger, Lahm and Müller had a phenomenal season. In the final there was just too much at stake for them to play freely.

Now with a title, I fully expect them to make the next step. They can now bring their usual performances also in a final. At least that is what I hope.

So it seems Diogo Salomao helped Deportivo stay up, the cunts. Now I want him back, and Jardim better want him back too

Deportivo are just one point ahead of relegation and they face Real Sociedad in the last game, they could still end up in last place. I don´t want Salomão back unless his attitude changes dramatically. He´s a terrible professional who probably spends more time and effort in the night life than he does on the training field.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Surely posted but the DM are saying Madrid are set to offer £65m for Bale. Seems very feasible -- the rationale in the article is what I mentioned the other night. They've lost out on Neymar and Aguero as well as Falcao. Perez needs a massive signing before elections. If I'm a Spurs fan, I'm terrified.

They could do a lot with that money but I don't think they can replace him TBH. He's such a gamechanger and he's just getting better.

They can offer what they like, Bale won't be sold. If Levy agreed to a sale he will have sold Modric, VDV and Bale in the space of twelve months and I would want him to resign.

That won't happen though. I tolerated selling Modric and Rafa because I don't think we did so solely for financial reasons. The former gave us 4 good years then became a cunt, the latter had family shit going on. There is no reason for Levy to consider a sale. It will be like when Chelsea tried to buy Modric two years ago. We will just ignore it.

Ushojax

Kevin Phillips is going to score the winner isn't he.

It would be great if he did. Great career this guy has had, and he didn't go up his arse like Owen and co.

Edit: almunia lol

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
A team in yellow,shit defending from crosses, playing at Wembley.

I think I've seen this recently.

all their players leaving at the end of the season too

:( poor Dortmund

Ushojax

A team in yellow,shit defending from crosses, playing at Wembley.

I think I've seen this before.

It's one thing to lose a CL final on penalties but to lose it to a straight free kick over the top? Ribery wins that ball before a defender? Klopp must have been apoplectic.

TeegsD

Deportivo are just one point ahead of relegation and they face Real Sociedad in the last game, they could still end up in last place. I don´t want Salomão back unless his attitude changes dramatically. He´s a terrible professional who probably spends more time and effort in the night life than he does on the training field.

Never knew about that to be honest. Made sense cause he didn't seem all there when he was still with us. But its been two years and we could use his skill, IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom