• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FootballGAF 2020/2021 |OT| Attending every single game from our home stands.

Dark Rider

[OptaJoe]0 - Liverpool have failed to attempt a shot in the first half of a Champions League game for the first time since November 2014, which was also against Real Madrid. Blanketed.

The midfield was basically ours.

Dark Rider

Klopp: "We just didn't play good enough football tonight" On taking Naby Keita off early: "I know it's now a big story and I don't like it... It was a tactical change. Could have done a few more changes." | Post-Match Interview

Dark Rider

Pep: "To play well in the areas we want, we need a good build-up, today it was not good. Joao and Rodri were not clever to receive the ball in the positions to make contact with the others." | Post-Match Interview

Dark Rider

[COPE] With Real Madrid’s victory over Liverpool today, Zinedine Zidane bests Pep Guardiola to become the most successful coach in his first 50 Champions League matches, winning 31.

:messenger_clapping:

Do you think the manager was wrong not starting Thiago?
How do you see the second leg though?

Yes, I think it was a mistake and a tough one to defend unless Thiago wasn't fit for the full 90. I think the second leg will depend on how Madrid plays it, if they play it like they did the second half of the first game they'll get trounced. If they play like the UCL champs they are, then Liverpool will need a small miracle.

Dark Rider

Yes, I think it was a mistake and a tough one to defend unless Thiago wasn't fit for the full 90. I think the second leg will depend on how Madrid plays it, if they play it like they did the second half of the first game they'll get trounced. If they play like the UCL champs they are, then Liverpool will need a small miracle.

I think the biggest factor for us is exhaustion, we just played you and on Saturday we will play Barcelona with La Liga title hanging in the balance then get back to you in the second leg all within the span of one week. We have many old players we will most likely be too tired.
In the second half of this first game all Liverpool could muster was one lone shot on target (it was the goal) so you think that is enough for Liverpool to "trounce" Real Madrid? I think it will take much more than that to be honest.

In the second half of this first game all Liverpool could muster was one lone shot on target (it was the goal) so you think that is enough for Liverpool to "trounce" Real Madrid? I think it will take much more than that to be honest.

Liverpool played an absolutely atrocious match. If Madrid banks on that repeating and plans on defending almost exclusively, yeah I like our chances. Football is a random sport so obviously I can't guarantee that, but Madrid can't afford to lose aggressivity. Don't think you've got our boys where you want them.

Dark Rider

Liverpool played an absolutely atrocious match. If Madrid banks on that repeating and plans on defending almost exclusively, yeah I like our chances. Football is a random sport so obviously I can't guarantee that, but Madrid can't afford to lose aggressivity. Don't think you've got our boys where you want them.

I think our team had a lot to do with the way Liverpool played, they were forced into it and can be forced into it again. They will need to give it all on the pitch in the second game to get a better result and need to do a lot to overturn it. The way we sit up to defend is different than what you think though, IF we set up to just defend the lead then our way of doing it is holding you in the midfield area and you will have to break our midfield to get close to our goal, it will not be us sitting near our goal "parking the bus".

I think since Liverpool only have the CL to worry about you have a full week to prepare for it and once the game start you can play out of your mind for the result needed, this is football so it can of course happen. On our side we will play Barcelona on Sunday (not Saturday) with La Liga title ambitions riding on it then travel to Liverpool and play you in 3 days, we will be dead tired on our feat which can help your cause a lot.

Would you prefer Ravel Morrison instead? We can arrange that. :messenger_grinning_smiling:

I think you can keep both :messenger_grinning_squinting:
We have COVID financial issues to deal with and are actually looking elsewhere at the moment :pie_thinking:
Oh an maybe an election to get done with since Flo called for one.

Dark Rider

Zidane bites back at Klopp's stadium jibe: "This is our stadium. We play here, and we're proud to play here at the Estadio Alfredo di Stefano."

:pie_thinking:

Dark Rider

[Antoine Griezmann] becomes a father today for the 3rd time - all three of his children have the same birthday (April 8th - 2016, 2019 and 2021 respectively)!

The same day you say :pie_thinking:

Dark Rider

[Bild] Niklas Süle has torn a muscle in his thigh yesterday, while Leon Goretzka has suffered a thigh strain. Both players will almost certainly miss the second leg in Paris next week. Süle is even expected to be out for two to three weeks

Dark Rider

[PSG] Last night, Ángel Di María reached 100 assists with Paris Saint-Germain. (64 in Ligue 1, 16 in the UCL, 11 in the CdL, 8 in the CdF & 1 in the french supercup)

Dark Rider

[COPE] Florentino Perez officially submits his candidacy for the Real Madrid presidency, other candidates have until Monday to present theirs. If no opponents are present Perez will be automatically re-elected till 2025.

thank you Oh Lord for this win!
comment_1618088883kNRY0jNCecbaOp3k51WULk,w400.jpg

Dark Rider

I was in a haze the last few days and confusing saturday and sunday, glad I did not miss the game :messenger_tears_of_joy:
And it is a win too :messenger_beaming:
Now we have Liverpool again to deal with, fatigue is what worry me most about this game :messenger_expressionless:

Great that he managed to achieve. Shame it was in a weak league and couldn’t cut it in the Premier League.

He did not want to play for Manchester United.
He was trying to twist Real Madrid arm into new contract (despite just signing a new one) with stupid demands, Real Madrid showed him the door instead and he ended up in Manchester United unintentionally so he was just collecting wadges there and did not even try to contribute anything while there.

This is the striker ManUtd need, not Haaland.

Haaland is cheaper, younger and so far look to have higher potential ceiling so you must understand why they are looking at him instead.

That last barcelona shot should've went in :(

No it was the correct thing to happen to not go in actually :messenger_sunglasses:
Welcome to The Football Thread :messenger_beaming:
Who do you support? :pie_thinking:

thank you Oh Lord for this win!
comment_1618088883kNRY0jNCecbaOp3k51WULk,w400.jpg

Congrats :messenger_beaming:

Dark Rider

[MisterChip] Barcelona has never won La Liga after losing both matches against Real Madrid

Let's see if this stands this season too :pie_thinking:

Turnt

Haaland will be too expensive.

Dark Rider Dark Rider I think Haaland will cost more. Also, not proven in the premier league.

He will also not be at United for the long term so age does not really matter if he’ll be gone after 3 years.
I agree he will cost more. But he’s younger and looks to have a higher talent ceiling. So I’d prefer him over Kane. But I think the RW spot is more pressing and would prefer them to spend that money to get Sancho. Lining up a Rashford/Greenwood/Sancho frontline for years to come sounds great to me.

I agree he will cost more. But he’s younger and looks to have a higher talent ceiling. So I’d prefer him over Kane. But I think the RW spot is more pressing and would prefer them to spend that money to get Sancho. Lining up a Rashford/Greenwood/Sancho frontline for years to come sounds great to me.
I think the middle of the field needs reinforcement. Fred and McTominay do not drife forward enough with the ball.

DKehoe

I think the middle of the field needs reinforcement. Fred and McTominay do not drife forward enough with the ball.
Yeh getting a new DM is really important. People talking about spending mega bucks on a new striker. And it is an area United could improve on. But DM and RW are much more pressing issues to me. “Go spend £100 million on Harry Kane” as a way to solve any big team’s issues is such a cliche from English football pundits at this point. Pogba has been great but they need someone else to play deeper to take pressure off of the defenders.

Dark Rider

Haaland will be too expensive.

Dark Rider Dark Rider I think Haaland will cost more. Also, not proven in the premier league.

He will also not be at United for the long term so age does not really matter if he’ll be gone after 3 years.

Haaland has a release clause that is less than 80 million next year, how is he more expensive?
And why do you think he will leave Manchester United if he joined in 3 years?
I think he would do well in the BPL but I want him to sign elsewhere.

Yeh getting a new DM is really important. People talking about spending mega bucks on a new striker. And it is an area United could improve on. But DM and RW are much more pressing issues to me. “Go spend £100 million on Harry Kane” as a way to solve any big team’s issues is such a cliche from English football pundits at this point. Pogba has been great but they need someone else to play deeper to take pressure off of the defenders.

I think Harry would cost you more than 150 million, has has years left in his contract and spurs have no reason to let him go.

Dark Rider

[Mario Cortegana] Toni Kroos left the pitch limping last night due to a muscular discomfort. He is fine now and will 100% play the 2nd leg against Liverpool. Lucas Vazquez and Fede Valverde are undergoing tests.

Lucas Vazquez suffers an injury to the posterior cruciate ligament in his left knee. He is OUT for the rest of the season.

[Mario Cortegana] Federico Valverde is a HUGE doubt for the game vs Liverpool.

We have no players left.

Last edited:

DKehoe

Haaland has a release clause that is less than 80 million next year, how is he more expensive?

I think Harry would cost you more than 150 million, has has years left in his contract and spurs have no reason to let him go.
The release clause is what it is. But huge agent fees are going to be tacked on for Raiola and Haaland's father. I believe the talk is that they are looking to get 20 million euros each. And then he's going to be on astronomical wages. No one is getting him on a bargain. When a player's transfer fee is lower than what it "should" be the buying club will always end up paying a lot somehow. That's especially the case when it's someone like Haaland where there's going to be a huge demand for him and so a bidding war will ensure clubs will pay whatever they have to in order to get him.

[Sky] West Ham reportedly tell Manchester United to forget about signing Declan Rice as part of a deal for Jesse Lingard.

Oh well, figured that one was a long shot. Lingard continuing to play well can't hurt things though. Although this report does come from The Sun so it's not like it's definitive.

Dark Rider

The release clause is what it is. But huge agent fees are going to be tacked on for Raiola and Haaland's father. I believe the talk is that they are looking to get 20 million euros each. And then he's going to be on astronomical wages. No one is getting him on a bargain. When a player's transfer fee is lower than what it "should" be the buying club will always end up paying a lot somehow. That's especially the case when it's someone like Haaland where there's going to be a huge demand for him and so a bidding war will ensure clubs will pay whatever they have to in order to get him.

How much do you think Spurs will ask you to pay and how much do you think Harry wadge demands? don't forget you will also be paying the "English player" fees when you engage in the transfer of English players within the BPL.
I think over all it will be more than what you will pay for Haaland release clause + his agent/father fees + Haaland wadges.

Oh well, figured that one was a long shot. Lingard continuing to play well can't hurt things though. Although this report does come from The Sun so it's not like it's definitive.

IF there is any truth to this report it is just a starting point where both sides try to fleece each other.

DKehoe

How much do you think Spurs will ask you to pay and how much do you think Harry wadge demands? don't forget you will also be paying the "English player" fees when you engage in the transfer of English players within the BPL.
I think over all it will be more than what you will pay for Haaland release clause + his agent/father fees + Haaland wadges.

IF there is any truth to this report it is just a starting point where both sides try to fleece each other.
Tricky to say how much he'd cost. Obviously Levy wouldn't let him go on the cheap. I guess the extent to which Kane made it clear he wanted to leave would be a factor.

The English player tax is certainly but let's say Kane is up for sale. I'd say you're talking about United, City and Chelsea in contention for him. But with Haaland you have those three, PSG, Real Madrid, Barcelona and perhaps more in for him. The two are on different levels in terms of demand for them. Raiola and Haaland Sr. are currently doing a tour of Europe being wined and dined by the richest clubs.

As was mentioned by someone above, I also think United would be better off looking to buy Sancho. He's still not going to be cheap but probably still less than whatever Kane or Haaland would cost and you can put the money left over from that towards getting a new DM.

Dark Rider

Ole: "The game is gone, it's absolutely gone... If my son stays down like this for 3 minutes and needs 10 mates to help him up, he won't get any food." | Post-Match Interview

[Luckhurst] Mourinho: 'Sonny is very lucky that his father is a better person than Ole. Because a father, you have always to feed your kids, it doesn't matter what they do. If you have to steal to feed your kids you steal. I have told Ole what I think about his comments.'

:messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

Dark Rider

Tricky to say how much he'd cost. Obviously Levy wouldn't let him go on the cheap. I guess the extent to which Kane made it clear he wanted to leave would be a factor.

The English player tax is certainly but let's say Kane is up for sale. I'd say you're talking about United, City and Chelsea in contention for him. But with Haaland you have those three, PSG, Real Madrid, Barcelona and perhaps more in for him. The two are on different levels in terms of demand for them. Raiola and Haaland Sr. are currently doing a tour of Europe being wined and dined by the richest clubs.

Haaland is not sold for a direct rival in the domestic league while Harry is being sold to a direct rival in the domestic league that alone will add more the the Harry transfer.
I think in Harry case it will be a case of who will pay more while in Haaland case I think there is a way to limit the damage a little if you can convince Haaland himself to join you.

As was mentioned by someone above, I also think United would be better off looking to buy Sancho. He's still not going to be cheap but probably still less than whatever Kane or Haaland would cost and you can put the money left over from that towards getting a new DM.

I thought Ed had already gave us a masterclass with Sancho transfer, do you really want another masterclass?
Sancho for sure will be cheaper than Haaland and Harry if you this time just pay the asking price.

DKehoe

Haaland is not sold for a direct rival in the domestic league while Harry is being sold to a direct rival in the domestic league that alone will add more the the Harry transfer.
I think in Harry case it will be a case of who will pay more while in Haaland case I think there is a way to limit the damage a little if you can convince Haaland himself to join you.

I thought Ed had already gave us a masterclass with Sancho transfer, do you really want another masterclass?
Sancho for sure will be cheaper than Haaland and Harry if you this time just pay the asking price.
Haaland is also currently the most desired transfer in the world. Kane is an excellent player but they are viewed at different levels. That kind of demand outstrips things like Also, you don't bring in Raiola if your plan is to get the club who appeals to you on the basis of emotion. If that was the main factor he'd end up at Leeds since he has said that's his favourite team. Him having played under Solskjær before and Solskjær being someone who believed in him early on may be a slight factor that works in United's favour but I think overall I think money is going to be the biggest factor.

I'm hardly Woodward's biggest fan but Dortmund wanted a lot more than what United were willing to pay because they expected there to be a big bidding war this upcoming transfer window. Now with Coronavirus and Dortmund's own form dipping that landscape has changed and they may wish they had cashed in last season since it seems like the sort of demand they anticipated won't be there.

Gone

Banned
No it was the correct thing to happen to not go in actually :messenger_sunglasses:

Thanks. Didn't know Gaf had such threads. Am a Barca fan and after Atletico draw tonight, La Liga is on fire. It's all about who makes less mistakes till the end.

Thanks. Didn't know Gaf had such threads. Am a Barca fan and after Atletico draw tonight, La Liga is on fire. It's all about who makes less mistakes till the end.
Yeah. I don't fully understand people who say there's no competition in La Liga.
The title race has gone down to the last or second-to-last matchday for the past few seasons.

Runaway MD30 champions are rare.

His release clause is low but there’ll be a bidding war to get him. If ManUtd offers 80M, Real will offer 90M, then Barca wiIl offer 100M, etc. I think he’ll cost 150GBP.

Top Bottom